Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (153) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179440 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 1:44pm On Dec 31, 2021
obitryce:
Support work from my experience depends on the organisation and support services they provide. The one I Work with is more like a private service provider. We go to people's homes, homes or hostel managed by the company. Basically shifts done are also different, some you are just sent to sleep there just to ensure staff presence and take records of your observations. You don't need to give medication if not med trained. Also there are waking nights were you are meant to be awake incase the service user/users might require assistance later at night but from my experience it's not being a difficult job. I end up most times just watching Netflix or sleeping through the night after I've made sure the service user/users have been settled in.
ah you no dey give medication? Ha me i dey give wotowoto and I no get training.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:59pm On Dec 31, 2021
jesmond3945:

This shouldn’t be funny but I’m cracking up
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 2:00pm On Dec 31, 2021
obalala:
Hello guys landed Southampton less than 2 weeks ago on a dependant visa,(wife in healthcare). Already applying for jobs and got a two interviews already at NHS but the salary is a little above 18k and its 8-4pm..Issue is we have a 2yr old girl. My aunt is suggesting I start with a night picker and packer hustle so I have time for my daughter during the day.

NB
Gone to find out cost of daycare 7am -6pm £250

Big question is should I keep applying for daytime office job and keep my daughter in daycare or start off with picker and packer jobs till we are fully settled.
My wife work timetable has no nights till March + I'm a certified data analyst with few months experience back in 9ja..

Looking forward to your advise .. thanks alot[/[quote author=obalala post=108954487]Hello guys landed Southampton less than 2 weeks ago on a dependant visa,(wife in healthcare). Already applying for jobs and got a two interviews already at NHS but the salary is a little above 18k and its 8-4pm..Issue is we have a 2yr old girl. My aunt is suggesting I start with a night picker and packer hustle so I have time for my daughter during the day.

NB
Gone to find out cost of daycare 7am -6pm £250

Big question is should I keep applying for daytime office job and keep my daughter in daycare or start off with picker and packer jobs till we are fully settled.
My wife work timetable has no nights till March + I'm a certified data analyst with few months experience back in 9ja..

Looking forward to your advise .. thanks alot

Let me use our situation to give you idea

I work in healthcare too so have no fixed shift pattern, could do 2 days day shift here, nights another couple of days and off. I encouraged hubby to get a support worker job pending when he is able to sort out his profession registration. He told his employer his needs his shift to be worked around his childcare needs, so what happens is that since I get my rota in like 1-2 months in advance, I print it out and he gives it to them at work and they make his rota using mine. That way, we never do same shifts on same day, one of us is always off to be with our daughter.

Another thing is for you guys to try and make friends with people who have young kids so that you can baby sit for each other or at least find out how they deal with their child care needs. £250 per day on childcare for 18k/year job is just too much, doesn’t make any sense if you ask me.

We also have have a grandma that a sister in church introduced to us who also helps. So on days that I wanna go do extra hustle (agency ), I would normally drop my baby with her on my way to work ( I do only nights for agency), my hubby will pick her up on his way home from a day shift, that way she spends maximum 3-4 hours with her for the day. Grandma charges just £10/day and she is so good with my daughter that if my daughter doesn’t see her for like 2-3 weeks, she literally somersaults in excitement the next time she sees her. She bought her the very first birthday present for her 1year birthday. She would give her from snacks in her house on days that my daughter would refuse any of the food I packed her and when I come in to pick her up, she would show me and say I gave her this and she ate it very well, may be you can buy that for her. My girl is a very picky eater!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DisGuy: 2:06pm On Dec 31, 2021
Thanks for sharing your experience and workarounds

Another thing is for you guys to try and make friends with people who have young kids so that you can baby sit for each other or at least find out how they deal with their child care needs. £250 per day on childcare for 18k/year job is just too much, doesn’t make any sense if you ask me.

£250 is per week
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 2:10pm On Dec 31, 2021
DisGuy:
Thanks for sharing your experience and workarounds

£250 is per week

Oh, thank you for pointing that out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 2:29pm On Dec 31, 2021
House, I'm trying to ship a laptop to Nigeria. Does anyone have experience using Fedex, UPS, DHL? Which is better or any redflags to watch out for? Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 31, 2021
Lexusgs430:

With a few month's nigerian experience ............. cheesy

Haa baba lexus if he packages and prepares well he has a 99% chance oh.

Obalala i would suggest yu dont lay emphasis or even mention *fee months experience in Nigeria* when u apply for jobs.

Just think of the projects you worked on and try to quantify your achievements.

Then also do ur gap analysis on your knowledge of tools and softwares.
Ensure u are on par with the uk market.

Nd as baba lexusgs highlighted, work on your confidence…packaging matters alot sir.

Take a shot, don’t allow yur analytics skills go down the drain.
Humble opinion from a little girl�

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:20pm On Dec 31, 2021
Happy New year in advance to everyone

To the ogas in the house who have helped in numerous ways, I salute

May 2022 bring great things to us and those we hold dear

wink

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thastie(f): 3:35pm On Dec 31, 2021
DisGuy:

If you have the experience or at least gone through the system...

Profitable? Uh?
Yes sir, profitable. Can one e rich doing that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 6:21pm On Dec 31, 2021
Domistic:
Bro

How do you withdraw your crypto Usdt to your British bank account.

I use binance p2p. P2p is good but you just have to be careful. Early this year some of the guys buying coin will go and report to their bank that they mistakenly sent money to your account then the bank will start processing refund for them. When your bank contact you, you can’t say it’s crypto. Story go full everywhere. I had one Ghanaian verified merchant who told me about the trick, he lost some money.

Someone tried it with me and Revolut. I quoted all the personal information protection rights and financial service rights I learnt in one of my cyber security classes. I even threatened Revolut that I was gonna report them and personal investigate their service. Last last Revolut refunded my £640. After 1 month they sent me a mail that they are sorry they won’t be able to offer me their services again And they gave me 1month to transfer my money from their account for them to close the account. I used everything I learnt in security class for them. The process took almost 3weeks.

1. When using p2p here in the UK, only use merchants with high number of transaction and also high % completion rate. For example, someone with 300 transaction and 96% completion rate is a good merchant because for you to satisfy 300 people no be small (mind you for Nigerian p2p look for people with thousands of transaction).

2. Try to use same person or max two people regularly. Don’t change people sending money to your account to avoid your bank investigating. Remember only business account get payment from different people all the time.

3. Try to do max one or two transaction weekly. That way it looks like you get paid for a particular service you render weekly or for a job. You can be keeping all the USDT you want to send and send them once (like on Mondays or Thursday’s). To avoid getting cash trapped, when you need more money, you can do it like paying yourself weekly. So you have extra even when you don’t need the money. Then the days you need more, you won’t be stuck.

4. When transacting with any one avoid either you or the person stating that the money was for crypto sale or using any crypto related terms. By these I mean the reference for the transaction. Use simple things. To avoid your bank closing your account. Easy way is if you have a Revolut account, use Revolut merchant so that when there is an issue it’s just Revolut investigating mr A and Mrs b since both are their customers. To be honest issue no de de for same bank.

I think na the ones wey I fit remember for now be that.

Best of luck.

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 6:50pm On Dec 31, 2021
Chreze:

I use binance p2p. P2p is good but you just have to be careful. Early this year some of the guys buying coin will go and report to their bank that they mistakenly sent money to your account then the bank will start processing refund for them. When your bank contact you, you can’t say it’s crypto. Story go full everywhere. I had one Ghanaian verified merchant who told me about the trick, he lost some money.

Someone tried it with me and Revolut. I quoted all the personal information protection rights and financial service rights I learnt in one of my cyber security classes. I even threatened Revolut that I was gonna report them and personal investigate their service. Last last Revolut refunded my £640. After 1 month they sent me a mail that they are sorry they won’t be able to offer me their services again And they gave me 1month to transfer my money from their account for them to close the account. I used everything I learnt in security class for them. The process took almost 3weeks.

1. When using p2p here in the UK, only use merchants with high number of transaction and also high % completion rate. For example, someone with 300 transaction and 96% completion rate is a good merchant because for you to satisfy 300 people no be small (mind you for Nigerian p2p look for people with thousands of transaction).

2. Try to use same person or max two people regularly. Don’t change people sending money to your account to avoid your bank investigating. Remember only business account get payment from different people all the time.

3. Try to do max one or two transaction weekly. That way it looks like you get paid for a particular service you render weekly or for a job. You can be keeping all the USDT you want to send and send them once (like on Mondays or Thursday’s). To avoid getting cash trapped, when you need more money, you can do it like paying yourself weekly. So you have extra even when you don’t need the money. Then the days you need more, you won’t be stuck.

4. When transacting with any one avoid either you or the person stating that the money was for crypto sale or using any crypto related terms. By these I mean the reference for the transaction. Use simple things. To avoid your bank closing your account. Easy way is if you have a Revolut account, use Revolut merchant so that when there is an issue it’s just Revolut investigating mr A and Mrs b since both are their customers. To be honest issue no de de for same bank.

Best of luck.
Nice one.
I had a Nigerian guy underpay me some months ago. He paid 10% of what he was meant to pay, luckily I was able to easily verify from my account. When I contacted him, he feigned ignorance but later let slip that he didn't have enough in his account when he was trying to pay me the balance and so he will have to pay me from another account.
Another tip I learnt is not to accept payment from a different account to that verified by the merchant on Binance. This is so that they don't use someone else's account to transfer the money to you, leaving you liable to pay if it was unauthorise by the person. If they do that, ask for a reversal after raising it with binance.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 7:09pm On Dec 31, 2021
jesmond3945:

Does this mean you give meds without training? Please stop. Ask your agency for training. If anything goes wrong, it will be you at the coroners and going to jail.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 7:10pm On Dec 31, 2021
justwise:

This post is getting a lot of people banned for no reason, please avoid quoting it.

Hian! Why o? I mean why are people getting banned?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Domistic: 7:10pm On Dec 31, 2021
Chreze:

Best of luck.
. Thanks. I use Naija Binance and has been using p2p in Naija. To buy but don’t sell. Now that I am here, can I update my bank account to my Uk �� account
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Domistic: 7:12pm On Dec 31, 2021
Wahala no dey finish.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 7:16pm On Dec 31, 2021
Domistic:
. Thanks. I use Naija Binance and has been using p2p in Naija. To buy but don’t sell. Now that I am here, can I update my bank account to my Uk �� account

I had a very bad experience with binance p2p, some merchants are not to be trusted, especially when dealing with big amounts. Just be careful and I think banks like monzo, sterling are better than high street ones.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Domistic: 7:26pm On Dec 31, 2021
AirBay:

I had a very bad experience with binance p2p, some merchants are not to be trusted, especially when dealing with big amounts. Just be careful and I think banks like monzo, sterling are better than high street ones.
I always filter to verified merchants and never had an issue with them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2021
Domistic:
I always filter to verified merchants and never had an issue with them
My 2cent mate grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Blankstare(m): 7:42pm On Dec 31, 2021
wallg123:

I’m not sure where you heading with this but I can tell you that data is inaccurate as of today.
My sister in-laws is training to be a plumber, she earns over £45k and she only works Monday to Friday in London. Her dad (my father-in-law) is a gas and electrician by trade and he earns more than £90k . I only got to know this cuz I saw the tax documents.
As at 2016 HGV (7. Tonne) drivers working for IKEA/DHL were on £35K while those from agencies earned £15/£17 per hour. A class 1 HGV driver would earn more than a 7 tonne HGV driver. Likewise HGV drivers that drive those fuel tankers earn over £50k as at 2016. …

You can’t be a long distance driver for the fun of it. You have to love driving for you to enjoy it…

I only got a HGV license as my plan B in 2016 just in case I didn’t get an engineering job. I don’t use it anymore but at least I have an option.

Anybody that loves driving and can do manual handing should use the opportunity ( shortage of drivers in the UK) to train.

Complement... Kindly put me through on how I can secure an hgv license
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:03pm On Dec 31, 2021
Domistic:
. Thanks. I use Naija Binance and has been using p2p in Naija. To buy but don’t sell. Now that I am here, can I update my bank account to Uk �� account

Yeah. You have option of adding different account. Add your uk account . When you want to sell, you chose the one you want them to pay money to. Please always remember to confirm the account you are using.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:41pm On Dec 31, 2021
@ Irenenwaka

I see you sent a mail to me. That account I no sure say I go fit remember the password, na nairaland make me open. Abeg paste the thing wey you been send me here.

Also I checked your profile and saw you created some groups. If it’s crypto talk, abeg help us create a room for the crypto talk, so that we go all go de discuss the crypto matter there make we no derail this our uk living room.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 9:04pm On Dec 31, 2021
Chreze:
@ Irenenwaka

I see you sent a mail to me.

Watsapp/telegram group?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
Ticha:

Hian! Why o? I mean why are people getting banned?

The ant spambot sometimes tags some posts as spam and ban the poster and anybody that quotes it

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 9:49pm On Dec 31, 2021
AirBay:

Watsapp/telegram group?

No ooo. make e de this our own Naija app. Make e b for this our naira land. This na made by us for us. �
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SirWellington(m): 9:55pm On Dec 31, 2021
From all of us in Dubai..... We say Happy New year!!! We are one hour into the new year and I must say the year looks beautiful. One love

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 10:02pm On Dec 31, 2021
Chreze:

No ooo. make e de this our own Naija app. Make e b for this our naira land. This na made by us for us. �

grin create one
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obalala: 10:39pm On Dec 31, 2021
Thanks for this .. decided it will be the the childcare route
TheGuyFromHR:

If you get the job, 18k p.a. will provide you with a net salary of about 1,230 after tax.
Your childcare bill at 250 p.w will come out to about 1,000 give or take, less any extras to be paid. You and your wife can afford that on your joint pay.

My admittedly biased opinion (I'm very unsentimental when it comes to childcare, all my children went to 8 - 6 p.m. daycare from the age of 3 months and I never bothered to look into the possibilities of getting a relation/househelp to look after them at home) is take the job if you get it, and you guys pay for the childcare. Then you continue looking for a job as usual. In my experience, it's usually easier to get considered for a job when you already have one and are looking to move. You also kickstart your career sooner (and additionally start racking up time to count towards the so-called UK experience stuff). Nothing also stops you from pulling a nightshift somewhere (say 6 - 10 p.m.) after your madam returns from work.

The ultimate would be a WFH job for you so you can earn and save on childcare at the same time, but while looking for that, take the opportunity to put some formal work experience under your belt.

Secondly, depending on you (and what you were doing back in Nigeria), sitting indoors with a 2 year old all day in a small flat might not be the easiest of things to do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obalala: 10:42pm On Dec 31, 2021
3 kids bro, you're a strong man ooo. This 1 alone is stress for me .. thanks for your advice, picked up a few lessons from you
MichaelUde:

I like where the HRGuy said "in my admittedly biased" opinion. That's because there is no right or recommended answer to your request for advice, all you're going to get are opinions.

I have 3 children, and I also looked after my children when we first arrived and I hadn't gotten a day job. No biggie, I still do it.
However, if I have one child like you do, I will put her in [affordable] daycare right away and take any day job that pays enough to cover the costs and leave me with something. I did not enjoy sitting at home during the winter months with 3 children, separating fights and getting homework done, only coming out in the evening when it was already dark to march off to a night job which I did not enjoy. I was unable to get anything much done in the day time or even get to know the new city I was living in, because marching 3 children around to the city to explore was definitely not something I had much energy for.

Again, our Nigerian women dey try in many ways, and I'm no sexist bigot, but do not leave your madam as the sole reasonable earner for any length of time.

They will soon come for my head, so make I tune out first.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obalala: 10:44pm On Dec 31, 2021
Thanks decided to do this
Ticha:

Take the day job. Put her in childcare especially as childcare won't take all your income. She gets to socialise with other children (and build immunity by acquiring every passing cold), you both also get to know other parents and people in the area which can come in handy in building a support network too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obalala: 11:00pm On Dec 31, 2021
Lool not confident yeah.. I'm self trained and sat for certification and only 2 months+ physical working experience I don't think that is a crime chief .. I actually got an NHS job in Scotland as an information analyst( a softer cushion into data analyst role) while applying from 9ja but my wife got a better medic job package. Presently my job search for info analyst is limited to Southampton and no job openings as at yesterday. That is why have I been considering starting with anything or just child caring at home

Lexusgs430:

From OP's explanations, do you sense a confident data analyst..........

This would not be a certificate employment role, but ability to apply learnt skills, within a presented physical environment........... wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obalala: 11:15pm On Dec 31, 2021
Thanks for the advice . gat to start making friends out here [quote author=gratefulme40 post=108962136][/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obalala: 11:17pm On Dec 31, 2021
Thanks madam na to package myself more.. I will come back and testify soon . Thanks
Irenenwaka:

Haa baba lexus if he packages and prepares well he has a 99% chance oh.

Obalala i would suggest yu dont lay emphasis or even mention *fee months experience in Nigeria* when u apply for jobs.

Just think of the projects you worked on and try to quantify your achievements.

Then also do ur gap analysis on your knowledge of tools and softwares.
Ensure u are on par with the uk market.

Nd as baba lexusgs highlighted, work on your confidence…packaging matters alot sir.

Take a shot, don’t allow yur analytics skills go down the drain.
Humble opinion from a little girl�

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.