Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176792 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:52am On Jan 02, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

If you say that the Indian interlocutors with whom you've interfaced have amazed you with their skills as compared to yours, that's one thing entirely. Extrapolating from your personal experience that this then means that citizens of that country are on a level above everyone else is a different and in my opinion most indefensible thing altogether.

But again, its your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:54am On Jan 02, 2022
okposm:
From what our seniors here have said, and what I heard on blogs, I can say the indians are just like the people from the northern part of Nigeria. They always look for ways to accommodate their own. That is the reason people from the North will keep going higher in any area you find them in Nigeria and not because of intelligence.

The southerners will always fight themselves with pull him down syndrome and we unknowingly take this out . I read a story in a group where a lady decided not stay with the elder sister who lives with two kids and her husband in a four bedroom duplex The plan by the elder sister was that the lady will live it her while the lady pays her fees herself. But because of what the lady perceived during her visit she decided not to stay

According to her, when the sister comes to Nigeria they sleep on the same bed. But when she visited uk, the sister gave her mattress to sleep on the floor in the same room. Even though the bed could accommodate two people comfortably.

I think we should watch it and not complain about uk opening the flood gate of indians. If it were to be a Nigerian, that had the power to influence things, will he or she do that for his or her countrymen? Let's just continue to sip tea and continue kicking my brothers out.

I don't think people are complaining per se, after all we too are immigrants and a greater openness to immigrants of any colour ultimately benefits all immigrants, if the 'native' inhabitants of the country are fine with that.

And its that group I am waiting with great interest to hear from. Obviously the oyibo man didn't vote for Brexit to basically reduce the flow of white eastern Europeans only to have them replaced with darker Asians.

Lastly, it's not a question of an immigrant opening up the UK to Indian immigration. It is apparently the foreign secretary, who is white, who favours the opening up to India, while the home secretary, who is of Indian origin, apparently does not. Of course, all that could be bait and switch, because if the home secretary openly came out in favour of this policy, it would blow it up.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 9:02am On Jan 02, 2022
Thank you ma’am.

LagosismyHome:

Go to moneysupermarket or go compare.... put in your details and you should be able to get quotes .

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 02, 2022
hustla:

Nigerians too should do it if it's easy

From my experience with them, if you say A+B = C, they want to know why it's so.. And why C + B can also be equal to A

I think it's just their environment and how their school system is

Hopefully, Nigeria can get to that level Someday

True talk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:55am On Jan 02, 2022
harwe:
Got into UK on the 31st December 2021 with my kids to meet up with wifey and start a new life.

It was an interesting journey as the kids were hyper excited all through the process till we landed at Heathrow Airport. If was a lifetime experience for us all.

On 2 days isolation at Feltham at the moment hoping to move down to Colchester pretty soon and start up a new life with my family.

I am grateful to God for the privilege and will never take it for granted.

Welcome and join us in the hussle. May God bless your new journey

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:06am On Jan 02, 2022
Chreze:

Sis, I have lived in India when I was doing some IT training. Those people are something else. They are geniuses. Trust me. They are just suffering from same thing Nigeria is suffering from “Corruption by people in power”.

Any country wey China de fight. Investigate that country, cos China get eyes well well and them know people wey go take over the world last last.
Geniuses? I am not sure. I work in Engineering in the UK and I have worked with a lot of them across several companies and yet to identify any as a genius.
There are very competent ones, just like any other race but one distingusing feature is that some of them are very competitive. It may be due to the nature of their educational system where competition is very high for the best schools and jobs. Unfortunately some of them take that competitive spirit too far by trying to pull others down, especially if they perceive you to be a threat (My Nigerian friends across different sectors have experienced this several times).
They also have an advantage, at least in my industry, that once you are Indian, there is a presumption of competence (which some comments here also seem to suggest) and that give them an edge but having worked with them, I know better. But they are generally hardworking.
TheGuyFromHR is right, let's not use our deficiencies to rush to conclusions and genralisations.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 11:25am On Jan 02, 2022
Good morning all,

Happy first Sunday of the year. I recently landed in the UK. My day 2 kit was delivered to the UK address before I even got in.
I did the test on Friday and immediately sent back via post same Friday. (Royal mail)

Till today, I'm yet to receive a mail from the AIS covid people. I was thinking it's 24hrs? I'm super tired mehn.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:29am On Jan 02, 2022
IvanCardozo:
Good morning all,

Happy first Sunday of the year. I recently landed in the UK. My day 2 kit was delivered to the UK address before I even got in.
I did the test on Friday and immediately sent back via post same Friday. (Royal mail)

Till today, I'm yet to receive a mail from the AIS covid people. I was thinking it's 24hrs? I'm super tired mehn.
If you posted it on Friday, that means it will probably be delivered on Tuesday since Saturday was New years' day, no work on Sunday, Monday is bank holiday.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:30am On Jan 02, 2022
IvanCardozo:
Good morning all,

As long as you done your part to post it back then relax.... my mum day 2 result came out 6 days later(even before this holiday schedule) . The whole covid matter don turn to tick box exercise and money making scheme. Very few processing unit are keeping to 24hours turnaround

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 11:31am On Jan 02, 2022
dustydee:

If you posted in on Friday, that means it will probably be delivered on Tuesday since Saturday was New years' day, no work on Sunday, Monday is bank holiday.

Jesuuuuuuu. So na to just sit down for house like so���
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 11:31am On Jan 02, 2022
LagosismyHome:

As long as you done your part to post it back then relax.... my mum day 2 result came out 6 days later(even before this holiday schedule) . The whole covid matter don turn to tick box exercise and money making scheme. Very few processing unit are keeping to 24hours turnaround

Woow
But hope the spectum abi na serum no go spoil sha. Omooo, me weh my body no dey stay one place. E don be for me. grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 02, 2022
I wish Nigerians can learn rather pick the faults or disadvantages. If they are not pointing at faults or disadvantages they are making excuses why they are like that.

We have a lot to learn, relearn and unlearn so we can forward and allow others believe in us.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:46am On Jan 02, 2022
IvanCardozo:
Good morning all,

Did you check the instruction about how to return sample? Usual you are encouraged to use their Dropbox rather than posting it.

I used dropbox and my result came out the same day
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 12:01pm On Jan 02, 2022
justwise:

Did you check the instruction about how to return sample? Usual you are encouraged to use their Dropbox rather than posting it.

I used dropbox and my result came out the same day

Senior Justwise, good morning. Happy new year

I followed the instructions oo. There was an envelope in the package, that I'm to use to send back to them. So that was what we did. My host, who is based in the UK was the one that sent on my behalf.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 12:27pm On Jan 02, 2022
Till today, my day 2 test wasn't sent. My saving grace was that I've been having to test 2ce a week for work.
LagosismyHome:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olizzz(f): 3:17pm On Jan 02, 2022
Happy new year everyone,
I am a student and I will like to bring in my Mum to help with taking care of my children. please what’s the procedure? I will appreciate anyone who can help with the information. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Dee2016: 3:29pm On Jan 02, 2022
Is it true that dependants of a healthcare worker don't need health surcharge while applying for visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hamintab: 3:40pm On Jan 02, 2022
Hi Guys,

I need to send some money to a UK bank account, what's the best way to do this.
I check the western union site, I guess it's not currently functioning.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 3:43pm On Jan 02, 2022
Dee2016:
Is it true that dependants of a healthcare worker don't need health surcharge while applying for visa?

Correct. Don’t need to pay*

Happy New Year Everyone.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AnaCheks(m): 3:49pm On Jan 02, 2022
dustydee:

Geniuses? I am not sure. I work in Engineering in the UK and I have worked with a lot of them across several companies and yet to identify any as a genius.
There are very competent ones, just like any other race but one distingusing feature is that some of them are very competitive. It may be due to the nature of their educational system where competition is very high for the best schools and jobs. Unfortunately some of them take that competitive spirit too far by trying to pull others down, especially if they perceive you to be a threat (My Nigerian friends across different sectors have experienced this several times).
They also have an advantage, at least in my industry, that once you are Indian, there is a presumption of competence (which some comments here also seem to suggest) and that give them an edge but having worked with them, I know better. But they are generally hardworking.
TheGuyFromHR is right, let's not use our deficiencies to rush to conclusions and genralisations.
Can I send you an email please? I need some information
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:10pm On Jan 02, 2022
Naturally when conversation start to involve emotions, I take myself out of the conversation, but I will keep this because, I have a feeling everyone who replied is very matured as there were no insults.

That said, I still maintain what I said. Unknowingly you all have actually confirmed what I said in my first write up. I will add a snapshot of what a genius is, just to remind you guys as I also have that situation when I let my emotion take away my knowledge (I guess it happens to us all).

I never compared Indians with any other race, country or people, I only pointed out what is notable about them. I don’t comment on things I don’t know, I said in one of my post that watching tv and them say them say is different. I sense “hustla” has visited India. Trust me my compatriots those people are genius as far as geniuses go. On same level with China (if not above). I don’t talk politics cos it’s something I hate (sentimental shxt to me). I am not talking about who ruled the world politically or who enslaved anyone. I don’t believe in all that. Those are things of the past that we keep bringing up to destroy relationship that we would have fixed.

I have also said that Indian and Nigerians are similar is one of my post. Yes they are everything like the northern people of Nigeria. Those people are wonderful and great, bad Eggs, normal in every other part of same country.

If your colleagues in the office behaves anyhow, normal thing with them, they behave in some ways. But that doesn’t take out the fact that they are geniuses if you use the dictionary meaning of that word. Plus, generalizing statements are something I am careful for, but with this I am happy that you all confirmed it unknowingly. Go to the country and see how those people solve their problems with locally made solutions. We Nigerians have that, but we have an inferiority complex which makes us to depart from our works and focus on the works of others.

In conclusion, They are geniuses as far as the word goes. And sorry I couldn’t reply everyone individually, I been think say una go go church I no know say una no go go. Hehehehehehe.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 4:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
Hamintab:
Hi Guys,

I need to send some money to a UK bank account, what's the best way to do this.
I check the western union site, I guess it's not currently functioning.
Try Kyshi
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:18pm On Jan 02, 2022
Chreze:

That said, I still maintain what I said. Unknowingly you all have actually confirmed what I said in my first write up. I will add a snapshot of what a genius is, just to remind you guys as I also have that situation when I let my emotion take away my knowledge (I guess it happens to us all).

I never compared Indians with any other race, country or people, I only pointed out what is notable about them. I don’t comment on things I don’t know, I said in one of my post that watching tv and them say them say is different. I sense “hustla” has visited India.

You're right

Studied some IT courses in India for 1 year and I have supported a lot of them at work (Started my tech Waka there actually)

During training in Nigeria, it's Indians they always emphasize on cos them dey sabi

Speaking for IT, I am not sure of other sectors

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:40pm On Jan 02, 2022
hustla:

You're right

Studied some IT courses in India for 1 year and I have supported a lot of them at work (Started my tech Waka there actually)

During training in Nigeria, it's Indians they always emphasize on cos them dey sabi

Speaking for IT, I am not sure of other sectors

grin

Bros you don’t even have to say any more, from your first reply I knew you have been there. Make I burst your bubbles.

Them still de outstanding for management and business courses. I have someone who graduated with first class in business and management from that same country and the person could swear there is something about those peoples brain that needs to be investigated.

I am not telling you they are beautiful or best behave. I am not telling you it’s the best country on earth, I am telling you they know their onions.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:42pm On Jan 02, 2022
Chreze:

Bros you don’t even have to say any more, from your first reply I knew you have been there. Make I burst your bubbles.

Them still de outstanding for management and business courses. I have someone who graduated with first class in business and management from that same country and the person could swear there is something about those peoples brain that needs to be investigated.

I am not telling you they are beautiful or best behave. I am not telling you it’s the best country on earth, I am telling you they know their onions.

Nigerians too sabi naw and I think we can surpass them with a little effort from the gov

Who no go, e no fit know sha

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 4:46pm On Jan 02, 2022
hustla:

Nigerians too sabi naw and I think we can surpass them with a little effort from the gov

grin

We cant surpass them in two lifetimes...a country where young guys steal pants to make money?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 4:47pm On Jan 02, 2022
hustla:

grin

Nigeria could be one of the biggest country on earth. We have all that this other people have combined. We have the brain to stand any level of pain to get result. That is an outstanding quality. But inferiority complex is what is affecting we Nigerians.

Government, I don’t talk about them cos if you look closely, na me and you be the government. Nigeria’s present problem is parenting. We are bad parents in Nigeria. Take it or leave it. The day we start to raise our children in the right ways, that is when we will be able to have a good leader seating in high chairs and table.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2022
Chreze:

Nigeria could be one of the biggest country on earth. We have all that this other people have combined. We have the brain to stand any level of pain to get result. That is an outstanding quality. But inferiority complex is what is affecting we Nigerians.

Government, I don’t talk about them cos if you look closely, na me and you be the government. Nigeria’s present problem is parenting. We are bad parents in Nigeria. Take it or leave it. The day we start to raise our children in the right ways, that is when we will be able to have a good leader seating in high chairs and table.

Please how can we raise our children kn a good parents way?

Really want to learn....thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2022
hustla:

grin

Everything no be by government. Even the govt na from the people. Govt no dey fall from sky

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AnaCheks(m): 4:53pm On Jan 02, 2022
AnaCheks:
Good evening all. I am an electrical engineer with experience on electrical installation and maintenance on buildings. Please how do I go about getting a tier 2 visa. As I'm still in Nigeria, is it possible to get a job with sponsorship? Any electrical engineer over there please help
Please somebody help me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oluayebenz: 4:58pm On Jan 02, 2022
Chreze:

Supported lipsrsealed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:00pm On Jan 02, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

We cant surpass them in two lifetimes...a country where young guys steal pants to make money?

cheesy

That one na work of devil /Satan oo

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.