Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (391) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1175288 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:21pm On Apr 20, 2022
Uk2020:

This is very naive thinking, it shows that you really don't know what's going on.

You can call it naive, we have all had our share of what we think is racism. But go down the line, you will see that it’s just someone being uneducated or exposed to things. Some end up apologizing if they get to see you regularly, some don’t. Everything is not racism.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:26pm On Apr 20, 2022
MichaelUde:

Gini ?
Bros, re-read what you wrote.
For one, children play well and relate well because them never get sense.
As dem dey grow them go absorb from society and adults what the deal is and start segregating among themselves.
No vex, but the rest na wishful thinking.

That’s my point, if it’s not in the society where will they absorb it from. That word is a big word, as blacks we throw it around every and anytime. Some of the things we experience, some whites experience them too from their own kind. Like i said, people who act in those ways we tag racist, are people who are not exposed. Try to get into conversation with them, you go see say them no know anything pass their office and country.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:30pm On Apr 20, 2022
Uk2020:

I think if these so called "Nigerianophobes" are Nigerians themselves then it's a form of internalised self-hatred. They've been conditioned they just don't know...

It must be because Nigerians are actually amazing people. Since I’ve been here, the way my fellow Nigerian classmates rally around to help each other so no man is left behind has been amazing. I mean, this thread is also proof. Some of my classmates always mention that these Indians help each other without realising that it’s the exact thing we are doing amongst ourselves. I’ve only met fantastic Nigerians since I’ve been here. Yea, there are bad ones, but that’s just human nature and it has nothing to do with being Nigerian. I wish we would project the positives more than the negatives. I have a friend who is so proud of living in a predominantly white neighborhood, and he talks down on neighbourhoods where Nigerians live, and it’s such a shame that we’ve been programmed to see ourselves as less, whereas these Asians build their own communities and thrive within them.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:37pm On Apr 20, 2022
Akorkor:

Na wa for you o. You're writing as if you were born in the UK? Racism is a word that has become entrenched, and you cannot erase it as you have written. Just be yourself, and try to be a shoulder for anyone who brings it up to you. The fact that you haven't come across it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Don’t get me wrong, when someone complain to you about anything, you have to share their pain in the situation. But try to judge from a rational point. You can’t complain and I just accept your complain for what you have said. Sometimes we use racism for envy or jealousy. We have to stop doing that and know that the word is not a positive word.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uk2020: 5:44pm On Apr 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

It must be because Nigerians are actually amazing people. Since I’ve been here, the way my fellow Nigerian classmates rally around to help each other so no man is left behind has been amazing. I mean, this thread is also proof. Some of my classmates always mention that these Indians help each other without realising that it’s the exact thing we are doing amongst ourselves. I’ve only met fantastic Nigerians since I’ve been here. Yea, there are bad ones, but that’s just human nature and it has nothing to do with being Nigerian. I wish we would project the positives more than the negatives. I have a friend who is so proud of living in a predominantly white neighborhood, and he talks down on neighbourhoods where Nigerians live, and it’s such a shame that we’ve been programmed to see ourselves as less, whereas these Asians build their own communities and thrive within them.

Imagine a Jew going on a Jewish forum to tell them to avoid other Jews, or a European doing the same. They'll either ban that person or recommend psychriatic evaluation. Divide and conquer has been the tool used to ensure and people of African heritage never build together or form communities that will benefit them as a group. There's always someone or a group of them going around spreading negativity to ensure that distrust abound. There's a reason why you find Chinatowns or Jewish quarters in many places.

If there are 200 million Nigerians on this earth, until you've had a negative experience when dealing with a hundred and one million of them you have no basis to come on a Nigerian forum to tell Nigerians to stay away from other Nigerians. If that's not insanity then I don't not what else to call it.

20 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:48pm On Apr 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

What you have just described is your coping mechanism. It doesn't change the fact that there are racists, xenophobes, and Nigerianophobes (based on what I've seen on this thread). You're living in a bubble you've created, and by all means, enjoy it because reality isn't always a pleasant place to be.

Lol. When people are told to think from a different perspective, the next words are “copy”, “bubble”, “reality”. Like I said, most of the things we experience are peoples lack of exposure. Talk to them and you will see it’s an exposure issue. They are not exposed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:55pm On Apr 20, 2022
Uk2020:

Imagine a Jew going on a Jewish forum to tell them to avoid other Jews, or a European doing the same. They'll either ban that person or recommend psychriatic evaluation. Divide and conquer has been the tool used to ensure and people of African heritage never build together or form communities that will benefit them as a group. There's always someone or a group of them going around spreading negativity to ensure that distrust abound. There's a reason why you find Chinatowns or Jewish quarters in many places.

If there are 200 million Nigerians on this earth, until you've had a negative experience when dealing with a hundred and one million of them you have no basis to come on a Nigerian forum to tell Nigerians to stay away from other Nigerians. If that's not insanity then I don't not what else to call it.

Well said!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 6:01pm On Apr 20, 2022
Amarathripple0:

What you have just described is your coping mechanism. It doesn't change the fact that there are racists, xenophobes, and Nigerianophobes (based on what I've seen on this thread). You're living in a bubble you've created, and by all means, enjoy it because reality isn't always a pleasant place to be.

First I never said there are no racist or that racism is not a word. Concluding someone is racist just because of the way they have treated you is equally wrong. Some people just dislike for no reason. We see Asians to be racist or accuse almost all of them to racist, visit part of Asia and you will see its lack of exposure and education that is affecting some of them. Some of the issues we call racism in this present day are just being with bad attitude. Analyze some of the accused racist cases, and you can tell it’s just envy, jealousy, and it’s related words. Forget about what people said, go out and mix with people, listen to them. Some people don’t even believe that there are people with dark skin. Some are amazed to see you that it scares them. This are things you know by experience. I have been to Asia, and in one of the visit to a village, people were looking at me like I fell from the sky, some didn’t want you to come close to them. They are not exposed and are not use to people of that skin. Some treat you in a very funny way. But because I understand their own situation, i was able manage some of the situation.

The problem is some of us thinks the most of whites (Europeans n Americans), so when they show us their unexposed nature or lack of knowledge about things, we turn to the word racism. Like I said, some of the present day experiences are just people who don’t know anything and they behave from a lack of knowledge perspective. What I am saying is not what is expected to be said today, cos we all think we have to support anyone when they call people racist. Try to see things from other perspective. At least for yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 6:29pm On Apr 20, 2022
jesmond3945:
some people have this mentality till shit hits the fan. The white friends they have throw them under the bus.

Since we are changing our world and educating each other, let’s start to share experience so we can all analyze and learn from it. This is a conversation we always shy away from, we just keep supporting and supporting.

Let’s have the conversation. Tell me your experience of racism or with a racist and let’s all analyze with knowledge. Or how a white threw you under the fan or someone you know if it was really racist.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 6:39pm On Apr 20, 2022
Egbina wey suen angry grin cool shocked kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 7:03pm On Apr 20, 2022
Uk2020:

God bless you. Like some people that do not want to relate with Nigeria but can still associate with Nairaland. Awon Omo Abi agbalagba ti won gbagbe orisun. ( a child or adult that forgot his origin ). They want to be British more than British.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mintyx(m): 7:58pm On Apr 20, 2022
Hello house,

Please does any know any app to make cheaper phone calls outside UK like Nigeria and some other countries?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 8:01pm On Apr 20, 2022
Try White Calling App
mintyx:
Hello house,

Please does any know any app to make cheaper phone calls outside UK like Nigeria and some other countries?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ritzzybaron: 10:36pm On Apr 20, 2022
Hi Eva, I’m really sorry for responding late. Please check your email.

Evaberry:

Pls I send a pm, I have a few questions concerning ysju
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 10:51pm On Apr 20, 2022
kizonero:
Hello great people,
please I want to know, what is life like to illegal immigrants..
Do we even have such people in UK?
How do they work and how are they get paid knowing fully well they have over stayed
Na your proposed incoming hussle be this? this one you are doing surveying tactics first

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 12:08am On Apr 21, 2022
Last time I checked, this was the 9ja culture. What used to and ought to.
How far things have changed. sob! sob!
cry cry
But then, there're still a large remnants.

Well, for those that doing, keep on doing good. Key is the underlined ... no expectations. 'Cos some or many will abuse your good deeds!!

LondonDating:

I have a Bangladeshi colleague aged 29 who has borrowed £10,000 twice now to send to his Brothers in Bangladesh to process their USA emigration Visa and he is not expecting anything back from them as all he wants is for them to escape poverty.
... and he will do the same for them when the time comes as according to him, it is their culture.

Compare this to Nigeria where ...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesuisroya: 2:36am On Apr 21, 2022
Greetings all.
My post is not entirely related to this topic.
My questions is about getting a death certificate in Lagos.
The Lagos State Government Medical Certificate of Cause of Death issued for my dad has the wrong age but it doesn't include his date of birth.

My questions please:
1. Does this document qualify as the official death certificate? Or is it the document I would tender to get a death certificate?
2. Can the document be reissued with the correct age?
3. I would need a legalised death certificate from Foreign Affairs. Does anyone know how I can go about it, please?
Thank you for your kind responses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by duchess90(f): 5:27am On Apr 21, 2022
@giselle237 ,there was a caught, i think he is applying for visit visa.

@kizonero, please don't be illegal.

giselle237:

Na your proposed incoming hussle be this? this one you are doing surveying tactics first
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:59am On Apr 21, 2022
jesuisroya:
Greetings all.
My post is not entirely related to this topic.
My questions is about getting a death certificate in Lagos.
The Lagos State Government Medical Certificate of Cause of Death issued for my dad has the wrong age but it doesn't include his date of birth.

My questions please:
1. Does this document qualify as the official death certificate? Or is it the document I would tender to get a death certificate?
2. Can the document be reissued with the correct age?
3. I would need a legalised death certificate from Foreign Affairs. Does anyone know how I can go about it, please?
Thank you for your kind responses.

Did your father use a fictitious DOB, whilst in service ?.... ??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 8:22am On Apr 21, 2022
mintyx:
Hello house,

Planet talk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Abiodunnn(f): 8:49am On Apr 21, 2022
Good morning,
I'm currently a student in the UK and i want to pay another instalment of my fees using form A.
is it the "TELEX' option i would pick? Also, what other document should I attach aside from my International Passport?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IvanCardozo: 9:00am On Apr 21, 2022
Abiodunnn:
Good morning,
I'm currently a student in the UK and i want to pay another instalment of my fees using form A.
is it the "TELEX' option i would pick? Also, what other document should I attach aside from my International Passport?

SWIFT.

Upload your admission letter, probably school invoice too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tobexin(m): 9:16am On Apr 21, 2022
Abiodunnn:
Good morning,
pick telex
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tobexin(m): 9:22am On Apr 21, 2022
I need to redo my Nigerian international passport as the current one Is filled already with stamps and visa. who knows anything about the postal order of a thing. I already filled the form and booked an appointment but I don’t understand the modus operandi of the postal order brouhaha. Cc Justwise Omopapa Lexusgs430
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:33am On Apr 21, 2022
Tobexin:
I need to redo my Nigerian international passport as the current one Is filled already with stamps and visa. who knows anything about the postal order of a thing. I already filled the form and booked an appointment but I don’t understand the modus operandi of the postal order brouhaha. Cc Justwise Omopapa Lexusgs430

Don't bother yourself too much, when you get to NHC and receive PO details. ...... A post office is about 4 minutes walk (depending on how fast a walker you are)......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 9:42am On Apr 21, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Don't bother yourself too much, when you get to NHC and receive PO details. ...... A post office is about 4 minutes walk (depending on how fast a walker you are)......... cheesy

Lol.
And once you reach that post office, they already know wetin carry you come - as soon as you open your mouth and they hear your African accent dey don already begin print postal order for you. Zimbabwe HC dey that same road, but na Nigerians dey full there pass.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:49am On Apr 21, 2022
MichaelUde:

Lol.
And once you reach that post office, they already know wetin carry you come - as soon as you open your mouth and they hear your African accent dey don already begin print postal order for you. Zimbabwe HC dey that same road, but na Nigerians dey full there pass.

This is what happens, when we hinge our development strictly on prayers.......... And lack commonsense to develop and continually talk and not take proactive actions . .........

Other countries passport applications, happens within minutes and gets posted out, within 2 weeks........

When you have and continually retain dinosaurs in key relevant positions, with corruption placed above effectiveness.......... This is what we get . ........

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:53am On Apr 21, 2022
Abiodunnn:
Good morning,
Yes, select the Telex option. Requirements vary from bank to bank but the basics are:
School ID card
Admission Letter
Letter of authorisation to debit account
First degree certificate
Student visa page
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hycent007: 10:09am On Apr 21, 2022
Good morning house, please my international passport will expire in September, can anyone direct me on how I can renew it in Uk. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:26am On Apr 21, 2022
Looking at the image below, if someone has a gross of £50,000 and the tax year begins in April. Will he be taxed 20% on 37,250 i.e (50,000 - 12,750) and then split it into 12 months (i.e divide by 12) or he will not be taxed for the months before his pay gets to 12,750 gross before he will start being taxed (i.e if the monthly gross is 4k, he won't pay tax for like 3 months first)?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:40am On Apr 21, 2022
Viruses:
Looking at the image below, if someone has a gross of £50,000 and the tax year begins in April. Will he be taxed 20% on 37,250 i.e (50,000 - 12,750) and then split it into 12 months (i.e divide by 12) or he will not be taxed for the months before his pay gets to 12,750 gross before he will start being taxed (i.e if the monthly gross is 4k, he won't pay tax for like 3 months first)?

Taking your PA into consideration, you don't pay tax on your PA .........

Anything after your PA, is shared ......... grin

If you are considering quiting one job and running to another............ They already thought about that already ..... grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.