Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,114 members, 7,835,757 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (484) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1199027 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2022
alongetayo:

Whao. The summary of it is that I can't drive alone with my naija licence?

Thank you.

You can for 12 months after entering, after that you would need to exchange it for a provisional licence etc

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ameryx: 12:28pm On Jun 22, 2022
Thank you to everyone who took time to respond to my post, justwise, ticha, viruses, Goke7, Amarathripple0 et al. I can't respond individually so as not to spam the thread but I am grateful for the words of encouragement.

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 1:41pm On Jun 22, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I’d still alter the job experience title on the CV if I were you. Eg from Logistics Manager to Project Manager. Tailor your CV based on the roles you are applying for as generic CV’s won’t fly. If you are applying for a logistics manager position then by all means, leave the title on your CV as Logistics Manager.

You can search for volunteer project manager roles on google and LinkedIn. Some roles will pop up but also check the sites below.

https://reachvolunteering.org.uk/
https://www.volunteermatch.org/search
https://www.charityjob.co.uk/
Goke7:

My advise or suggestion, because of his lack of experience around IT and so he doesn't try to struggle much understanding both the traditional project management and agile methodologies at the same time which can quite be a bit difficult for new learners from my experience as someone who also teaches agile, it's kind of safer for him to get grounded in project management fundamentals first and then volunteer as a project manager as you have advised before going to learn about agile but if he's mentally strong enough to learn both at the same time, then good for him. Just my thoughts.

Thanks so much for the advice and ginger�. I sincerely appreciate.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ogk8082: 1:47pm On Jun 22, 2022
House can I ask a question?
Good afternoon…
I was born in UK , but now in Nigeria ?
I have my certificate and all, how do I apply to get my British Passport?

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by winzy(m): 2:06pm On Jun 22, 2022
I have

tolajay:
Who has Pounds for sale?

Kindly PM me.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:15pm On Jun 22, 2022
Ameryx:
Hi all, I think I need a bit of encouragement. I moved to the UK on a student visa in December. Before relocating, I was doing quite well back home.

Mine worse pass this one cos I lived in Middlesbrough,got in Jan, didn't get a job till April when I left for London area

Imagine paying school fees and rent in naira, I no fit cry but I was prepared based on advice from this thread especially Oga Just wise warnings grin

.. And you see those care jobs, the depression no be here. Went to one on Monday and quit same day cos they told me it would be a support worker role and not all this wiping yansh

Best advice, look for the Mental Recovery Support roles in Leeds, Bradford area and tailor your Cv to them and apply.

They're support jobs that you look after individuals in supported living, mostly people with substance abuse or mental health issues. You don't do any form of personal care for them, it's just medication administration, key working and daily logs

Keywords on Indeed - Recovery support worker, supported living, assisted living, mental health support worker

They all ask the same questions at interviews (I have done at least 12 since I moved to London area and I have never been rejected, I'm not exaggerating).
Typically questions revolve around Safeguarding, mental health act, scenario questions about what you'll do in certain situations, what you'll do if you notice a service user is being abused etc (you can check glass door as some of them are there)

Check creativesupport, NHS, Cygnet, Mencap.. they're almost always hiring for support workers

Also, register on Indeed flex, attend the interviews and you'll get shifts off there.

If you need additional help you can send a PM smiley

34 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:20pm On Jun 22, 2022
ogk8082:
Good afternoon…

Thank you

Because you got a British birth certificate, does not automatically make you a British citizen..........

Check legislation during your birth, to confirm your citizenship status.........

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ogk8082: 4:23pm On Jun 22, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Because you got a British certificate, does not automatically make you a British citizen..........

Check legislation during your birth, to confirm your citizenship status.........
Thanks brother
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 4:31pm On Jun 22, 2022
yolkman20:

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll do the needful. I've worked as a warehouse & logistics manager/supervisor back home, so I feel that's enough to proof that I've got experience managing people (projects.)

@amarathriple0, I will research and apply for these voluntary roles, but I'd appreciate if you can share links or info about companies offering these voluntary roles.

That job role can make a very good case for project management experience depending on how you apply it(refine it to show more project management experience), Just be able to apply situations you encountered on the job with project mgt lingua, know things like project plan, risk register, stakeholder management etc apply the STAR method of answering interview questions(loads of resources on youtube). If you have the bandwith, do these while going through your certification, it prepares you for the real thing, and make u you understand the things you studying for. And like someone said, apply for volunteer project management roles. When you applying for roles, you can apply for roles like project support officer, business support roles, etc. these get you into project based scenarios and you can work your way up from there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 4:33pm On Jun 22, 2022
When were you born? Were you born in the UK on or before 1 January 1983? Were you born when one of your parents was a British citizen or ‘settled’ in the UK? If your answer is Yes to the last two questions, you qualify for auto-citizenship by birth and can apply for a British passport. If no, getting a British passport will have to be via other settlement routes.
See link for more info: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-born-uk
ogk8082:
Good afternoon…

Thank you

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 4:38pm On Jun 22, 2022
ogk8082:
Good afternoon…

Thank you

You have to have been born before 1st Jan 1983 then you can process your passport
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 6:07pm On Jun 22, 2022
Good evening ancestors.
Thank you for all the advice and survival tips you always drop here for us.

Please na property advice I want this time.

Please I need to know which is better between the following
1. "Help to Buy Scheme."
2. Shared ownership.
3. Saving up my 10-20% Deposit.

I understand that for a Help to buy, one do not pay interest for a certain number of years.

Is it OK to pay the Government HELP off within the non Interest paying year, if one is able to do so?.

Secondly, Is the help to buy scheme classified as Public FUND as we are not entitled to public fund.

Thank you dear worthy ancestors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 9:56pm On Jun 22, 2022
Revolut has the disposable/one-use card.

Viruses:
Who has referral link to any bank that offer virtual card that I can use and destroy. I've been helping folks make payment lately and I have to take extra care to uncheck 'auto renew'. I don't want to take chances again so I just need a card that I can use and destroy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:30pm On Jun 22, 2022
Pearlyfaze:
Good evening ancestors.

1. "Help to Buy Scheme."
2. Shared ownership.

I understand that for a Help to buy, one do not pay interest for a certain number of years.

Is it OK to pay the Government HELP off within the non Interest paying year, if one is able to do so?.

Secondly, Is the help to buy scheme classified as Public FUND as we are not entitled to public fund.

Avoid number 2, like buhari coming for 3rd term....... cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 10:57pm On Jun 22, 2022
Santa2:

That job role can make a very good case for project management experience depending on how you apply it(refine it to show more project management experience), Just be able to apply situations you encountered on the job with project mgt lingua, know things like project plan, risk register, stakeholder management etc apply the STAR method of answering interview questions(loads of resources on youtube). If you have the bandwith, do these while going through your certification, it prepares you for the real thing, and make u you understand the things you studying for. And like someone said, apply for volunteer project management roles. When you applying for roles, you can apply for roles like project support officer, business support roles, etc. these get you into project based scenarios and you can work your way up from there.

Well noted. These words of advice and support means alot and I sincerely appreciate it. I'll definitely come back to feed y'all back once there's an headup.

Thanks again.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 11:54pm On Jun 22, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Avoid number 2, like buhari coming for 3rd term....... cheesy

Aaaaah Thank you baba. I will not look at this twice, will avoid like Nigerians should avoid PDP and APC. grin grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 3:54am On Jun 23, 2022
Pearlyfaze:
Good evening ancestors.

1. "Help to Buy Scheme."
2. Shared ownership.

Confirm that you don't need ILR for no 1. Definitely flee from no 2.
If you don't need ILR for no 1, and you are disciplined with money then go with that but you will not be able to buy another property ie one to rent out until you've paid off the government loan. So it also depends on your long term plans

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 4:06am On Jun 23, 2022
Ameryx:
Thank you to everyone who took time to respond to my post, justwise, ticha, viruses, Goke7, Amarathripple0 et al. I can't respond individually so as not to spam the thread but I am grateful for the words of encouragement.

What is your background? Academic and workswise?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Controlv: 4:26am On Jun 23, 2022
Good morning, I need advise on this.

My 6 months tenancy agreements ends in August 2022. I just received an email from the letting agent asking for my preferred choice to renew the tenancy:

1. 6 Month tenancy renewal (New tenancy sign, subject to landlord approval)
2. [s]12 Month tenancy renewal (New tenancy sign, subject to landlord approval)[/s]
3. Statutory periodic tenancy (Continue under current terms on a monthly rolling basis, no new tenancy sign)
4. [s]Hand in notice and leave at the end of the current tenancy[/s]

My studies end in February 2023, and I have no plans to move before then, so option 4 is out.

Option 2 is ruled out because it's possible I could get a job outside of my current town post-study.

Please advise which option is better between 1 and 3.

The flat is in good condition, and I have no issues with the letting agent/landlord.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 6:04am On Jun 23, 2022
Ticha:

If you don't need ILR for no 1, and you are disciplined with money then go with that but you will not be able to buy another property ie one to rent out until you've paid off the government loan. So it also depends on your long term plans

Madam Ticha, oga Lexusgs430 etc

What's your advice on LISA first time house buyer...can l sell the house or rent the house if l am moving to another city without losing the government 25% contributions with the LISA funds used for deposit for Mortgage. If am going to lose the 25% government contribution to the LISA, then I am thinking of getting my 30% deposit myself and pay for Mortgage so that I can still sell the house or rent the house if am moving out of the city. Then continue to contribute to the LISA account until at retirement.

Your opinions please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 6:07am On Jun 23, 2022
Controlv:

My 6 months tenancy agreements ends in August 2022. I just received an email from the letting agent asking for my preferred choice to renew the tenancy:

2. [s]12 Month tenancy renewal (New tenancy sign, subject to landlord approval)[/s]
3. Statutory periodic tenancy (Continue under current terms on a monthly rolling basis, no new tenancy sign)

My studies end in February 2023, and I have no plans to move before then, so option 4 is out.

Option 2 is ruled out because it's possible I could get a job outside of my current town post-study.

The flat is in good condition, and I have no issues with the letting agent/landlord.

Option 3 is ok....no need to new tenancy sign....you should be able to give 1 month notice before moving out....just stay since you like the house.

What if the landlord refuse to renew your tenancy if you go for option 1?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 7:36am On Jun 23, 2022
Ticha:

Thank you our Ticha.

Yes we do not need ILR for option one.
With our planning and projection, we will be able to pay down or pay at least 80% of the Government loan before the five years expires.

Secondly we have a Lisa account that will be one year by February 2023, we intend to draw from the Lisa to add to our deposit?.

The plan was to use only my sugars name to buy the first house and later use my name for our second which obviously will be a buy to let but the challenge is I cannot use LISA for a buy to let according to what is written on their site. So thinking of Buying the first together pulling our Lisa together.

Thank you for your advice.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:54am On Jun 23, 2022
Pearlyfaze:

Thank you our Ticha.

With our planning and projection, we will be able to pay down or pay at least 80% of the Government loan before the five years expires.

Secondly we have a Lisa account that will be one year by February 2023, we intend to draw from the Lisa to add to our deposit?.

The plan was to use only my sugars name to buy the first house and later use my name for our second which obviously will be a buy to let but the challenge is I cannot use LISA for a buy to let according to what is written on their site. So thinking of Buying the first together pulling our Lisa together.

Pls, don't poison him with excessive sugar .........

Flee from diabetes or weakening his bazooka....... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 8:18am On Jun 23, 2022
Controlv:

With the way rent prices are increasing, you might want to consider option 1. That fixes your rent for the six months period compared to 3.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 8:52am On Jun 23, 2022
tshoboy:

With the way rent prices are increasing, you might want to consider option 1. That fixes your rent for the six months period compared to 3.

Will option 3 give room to increased rent? I thought, it says continue as is. Asking cos I'm soon going to be in this situation and need to weigh my options
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:12am On Jun 23, 2022
alongetayo:

Whao. The summary of it is that I can't drive alone with my naija licence?

Thank you.

I don't think this is true.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:20am On Jun 23, 2022
Pearlyfaze:

Thank you our Ticha.

I think we might be due for a Thread on Financing Houses. Just like we have for Students, Parents, etc. A Thread for people on the Mortgage journey would be nice. Ticha, Lexusgs430, etc have given some very good tips on this thread but we may need to compile them.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 9:47am On Jun 23, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Pls, don't poison him with excessive sugar .........

Flee from diabetes or weakening his bazooka....... grin

This kind sugar nor dey weaken garage or bazooka. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) (487) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.