Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (482) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1174331 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
lightnlife:
cheesy grin

And he go don get small credit history by then.

Exactimo........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
dustydee:

Really?
Do you know what he/she wants to use the phone for?
Do you know if he/she can afford it?
Not every student needs to work here.
Please stop rushing to conclusion.

Our lady correctional advocate, go soon come ........ Her bulálà get 12 tails........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 11:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Irenenwaka:
Please secondly, i have a very close friend who is based in the uk. His fiancée is currently in Nigeria. He intends bringing her over. Currently they have done trads and will only do a court wedding.

My question: I have heard that the home office don’t accept documents from all courts in Nigeria. Please they would like to the wedding in imo state, is this possible? And Can anyone recommend any courts they have previously used in Imo state and whose document is acceptable by the UKVI.

If a court wedding registered in Nigeria? Am guessing it is, me and my spouse had our wedding (Registry) in Abeokuta. After being told the only place they accept was Ikoyi… But that was the wrong info, UKVI recognised any registry marriage. So am sure it shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 20, 2022
dustydee:

Really?
Do you know what he/she wants to use the phone for?
Do you know if he/she can afford it?
Not every student needs to work here.
Please stop rushing to conclusion.
I'm not. Hello, let's face the reality. There's nothing you want an iPhone 13pro max for than showing. lol. If he/she can afford, he/she won't be looking for Easybuy , lol. I know you get that.

if as a student you're not permitted to work there, my question. How are you planning to refund them back, once they give iphone 13pro max to you? Abroad is not Naija.

Those people are too wiser than us in 200percent ways. my own is that be contented.

he/she should have get that in naija before coming. People feed us back that in Abroad you can get things on credit without disturbing you, look out at all this iphone locked and others are been shipped to Africa, cos majority of the owners don't complete their phone payments

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:33pm On Jun 20, 2022
I have Naira; just incase anyone’s looking. Buzz me by day break. Tankiu.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Romoller: 11:53pm On Jun 20, 2022
Wow, thanks so much for this

mimilyrics:
It is possible. No risk as by this time, you should have completed all your taught modules and be on your dissertation. If that's the case, let your employer know so that your start date will ideally be after your dissertation completion. Alternatively, you can speak with your school since you might need a letter from them for your employer.
Also depending on the employer, pre-employment checks take anything from 3 weeks - 3 months so you might not even need to do anything out of the ordinary.
People have switched before the end of their studies without issues.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:02am On Jun 21, 2022
Mayorofodemu:
He/she may have the cash but only looking to enhance his/her credit score hence the need for a contract.
You do not have to work as a student, not everybody does. When I was a student in the UK, I did not need to work.
Who will they show off to? How many people take note of your phone here? Something that a lot of people, even kids have.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:27am On Jun 21, 2022
humility101:
I greet everyone, please who knows any phone shop that can give me iPhone 13 pro max on contract. I have only been here for just 7 weeks.

O2 rejected me 2 weeks ago cos I still dey new.
https://www.fonehouse.co.uk/
Don’t apply online though, give them a call.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:30am On Jun 21, 2022
Irenenwaka:
Hi Fam abeg i need ideas lol.. i am visiting Nigeria very soon.
Can anyone suggest gift ideas that won’t break bank.
The only thing that is coming to mind is perfume.. but my issue with this is the very very good ones can be extremely pricey.
A Wristwatch. TK Maxx has some amazing yet affordable watches.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:37am On Jun 21, 2022
dustydee:

He/she may have the cash but only looking to enhance his/her credit score hence the need for a contract.
You do not have to work as a student, not everybody does. When I was a student in the UK, I did not need to work.
Who will they show off to? How many people take note of your phone here? Something that a lot of people, even kids have.
I honestly think you should ignore that person because they are projecting and speaking from a place of ignorance.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 9:19am On Jun 21, 2022
Ray7878:

Yes you can, but make sure you have a L plate plastered to your car, and someone that has a full UK licence for over 3 years sits next to you when you drive. You can or have to change the Nigerian licence over to a provisional one after some time though.

Bros, but all this one is not necesstri na cheesy

The simple answer is a YES periodt!!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bolagabriella: 9:40am On Jun 21, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I have Naira; just incase anyone’s looking. Buzz me by day break. Tankiu.
Hi,
I have pounds. Just sent you a pm.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 21, 2022
Mayorofodemu:
I don't like your ,mentality at all. Abroad is not naija. why do you want to impress since God has answered your prayers and free you from shackles of naija materials use. who cares in abroad, if you use iphone or not. instead of you to focus on how to get good pay job, and time yourself later, of you still want that phone without putting burdens on yourself cos of credit. USA is not naija my brother. Thank God for life

I think that was very quick of you to conclude the user wants to impress. There are multiple factors that can affect a choice of a mobile phone. For example: what of if he does freelance photography on the side and need the iphone 13 for its impeccable camera.

That is just an example, but i think we all need to learn not to look at peoples situation from only our perspective.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elisinho(m): 9:51am On Jun 21, 2022
jumpshot:

Unrelated but I just started reading you diary. More specifically I'm at the part where you lost your job. TBH I understand how frustrating it can be when you're doing your best for the family and your hubby isn't helping matters. I'm ashamed to say that my wife actually broke down in tears a few weeks ago and poured out her heart to me. That was when I realized what an ungrateful, selfish idiot I've been, because just like you, she has been the one footing basically ALL the bills since my business crashed and I've been here parading as man of the house, bitching about everything.

Anyway, that you are in the UK right now leads me to believe things turned around for you a bit. I hope so. If I may ask though, is it pertinent for the kids to be in the UK with you? I would think it would be way easier for them to be in Nigeria until you're done with schooling?

Na man u be takes some courage to admit this

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ogatboy(m): 10:43am On Jun 21, 2022
Who is in Manchester this weekend?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2022
What's with the energy price increase again in October?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sheamus007(m): 2:08pm On Jun 21, 2022
Good afternoon guys....if I apply to any school in UK for masters now how soon can I get admission and how long is the process gonna take?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2022
Depends on the school. Usually around 2-3 weeks or more. When applications are many, could be up to 2-3months for some schools.
Sheamus007:
Good afternoon guys....if I apply to any school in UK for masters now how soon can I get admission and how long is the process gonna take?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sheamus007(m): 2:20pm On Jun 21, 2022
mimilyrics:
Depends on the school. Usually around 2-3 weeks or more. When applications are many, could be up to 2-3months for some schools.
Oh thank you.....does that mean I can finish all the process and travel before march next year
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 2:25pm On Jun 21, 2022
Yes, you can if there are no delays getting your CAS, POF and with your application. You can gain more insight on the processes here: https://www.nairaland.com/6954875/uk-student-visa-tier-4
Sheamus007:

Oh thank you.....does that mean I can finish all the process and travel before march next year

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

Bros, but all this one is not necesstri na cheesy

The simple answer is a YES periodt!!!!

Na extra info just to help lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rerebat: 2:39pm On Jun 21, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Only of you would buy me a Porsche, at that dealership.............. cheesy

Your Lexus never do you? grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 2:47pm On Jun 21, 2022
Please what's Genotype test called in the UK and what sort of organisations do they run such test?

GP say dem no day do am.

Even the NHS hospital here said same.

Cc omopapa, Lexusgs430
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:32pm On Jun 21, 2022
lightnlife:
Please what's Genotype test called in the UK and what sort of organisations do they run such test?

GP say dem no day do am.

Even the NHS hospital here said same.

Cc omopapa, Lexusgs430

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-groups/

https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/your-pregnancy-care/screening-for-sickle-cell-and-thalassaemia/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2022
Who has referral link to any bank that offer virtual card that I can use and destroy. I've been helping folks make payment lately and I have to take extra care to uncheck 'auto renew'. I don't want to take chances again so I just need a card that I can use and destroy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ameryx: 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2022
Hi all, I think I need a bit of encouragement. I moved to the UK on a student visa in December. Before relocating, I was doing quite well back home. Earned around 2-3m monthly profit after expenses from my business. In fact, I wanted to reward myself with a Range Rover Evoque (about 13m) then but Nigeria was in a bad state and I used up my savings to fund my relocation. I landed with high hopes, about £4000 in cash. The reason for my earlier statements is not to brag, but to show you that I was doing well, and I just felt coming here would be saner. I loved it here whenever I travel for vacation, so I was without doubt that life here would be easier.

To my main aim of writing, I think I am depressed. I could not find a job in my first 3 months here. The only job available that most students were doing was care, and I wasnt vaccinated, so I could not start. I eventually started in March and the job gives me a mental breakdown each time. I am on my feet for 11 hours, and get sent around by staff who feel they are better than agency workers, I get hit by residents, I have been racially abused several times ,I did it for 2 months and I had to quit.

I have looked for warehouse jobs, not been lucky. Even customer care work, they reject because of my visa status. I am fast losing it, there is so much my brain can take as a woman. Does anyone know how else I can get a job, I stay in Bradford, so anything around Leeds is fine. I can even work in Manchester if the pay is okay. Please help.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 5:18pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ray7878:

Yes you can, but make sure you have a L plate plastered to your car, and someone that has a full UK licence for over 3 years sits next to you when you drive. You can or have to change the Nigerian licence over to a provisional one after some time though.
I don't think these rules apply to the intl license, only to the provisional.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2022
Hi, sent you a pm
Irenenwaka:

I think that was very quick of you to conclude the user wants to impress. There are multiple factors that can affect a choice of a mobile phone. For example: what of if he does freelance photography on the side and need the iphone 13 for its impeccable camera.

That is just an example, but i think we all need to learn not to look at peoples situation from only our perspective.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sholadele4: 5:34pm On Jun 21, 2022
Adebayo82:
I have 300 pounds at rate of 745, you can reach across to me. I needed naira very urgent.

Is this still available?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 5:37pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ameryx:
Hi all, I think I need a bit of encouragement. I moved to the UK on a student visa in December. Before relocating, I was doing quite well back home. Earned around 2-3m monthly profit after expenses from my business. In fact, I wanted to reward myself with a Range Rover Evoque (about 13m) then but Nigeria was in a bad state and I used up my savings to fund my relocation. I landed with high hopes, about £4000 in cash. The reason for my earlier statements is not to brag, but to show you that I was doing well, and I just felt coming here would be saner. I loved it here whenever I travel for vacation, so I was without doubt that life here would be easier.

To my main aim of writing, I think I am depressed. I could not find a job in my first 3 months here. The only job available that most students were doing was care, and I wasnt vaccinated, so I could not start. I eventually started in March and the job gives me a mental breakdown each time. I am on my feet for 11 hours, and get sent around by staff who feel they are better than agency workers, I get hit by residents, I have been racially abused several times ,I did it for 2 months and I had to quit.

I have looked for warehouse jobs, not been lucky. Even customer care work, they reject because of my visa status. I am fast losing it, there is so much my brain can take as a woman. Does anyone know how else I can get a job, I stay in Bradford, so anything around Leeds is fine. I can even work in Manchester if the pay is okay. Please help.

mine is just word of encouragement: be strong sis, what ever skills made you record such a high success in business in Naija environment is still in you, maybe you only need a little time for it to resurface. So, calm down, have another look at care work if thats all you can get for now, approach it with another mindset e.g. close your ears to racist comments for now, while on the lookout for a better job at least once you finish you study.#
meanwhile can you not continue your naija business from here? maybe with some partners back home. the profits may not be the same now that you are not there but could still be better than nothing.

Like I said, I just felt like encouraging you...this too shall pass just stay strong

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:40pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ameryx:

Hey so sorry about what you are going through. I can understand how frustrating it is. Send me a mail so we can talk about possible opportunities.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.