Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,904 members, 7,810,481 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (515) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169337 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Honestly I want to study but you will agree with me that it pays for man to do the hustle until everything is balance than woman doing the hustle. The hustle required for couples on the student route to balance well is not a child's play.

In Nigeria, maybe.
Here, best to leave aside inculcated ideas of gender roles. Your madam can work as hard as you think you are working now.
I'm sorry you've had this setback, but I think you should be the one to take up the next course of study (where you have to fall back on that option before January) as I do think that it might be easier for you to get a student visa as opposed to her trying again. However note that the requirement for progression regarding student visas has been removed, so in theory one can do a master's more than once.

Working hard never killed anyone, and our Nigerian women are equal to the task. Never underestimate women in general and always remember that they are mentally stronger than men and are more likely to outlast you.

Be sure to explore the school's extenuating circs procedure to the end (where possible), and see what you can achieve.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Not good advice.
Nigerian experience is not always a negative. I had extensive experience back home, and I'm in a generic occupation, and I obviously got my jobs on the strength of my experience.
It is experience, so there is nothing wrong with putting it on your CV.
Racism, hearts and minds, those you can't change. Your African name alone is a pointer, irrespective of whether or not you strip out what could be possibly relevant experience from your resume.

Bottom line - there is no certified way to bypass the subjectiveness of the recruitment process.

I beg to differ, this gets a lot of people in the door. In my early days here, just shy of last year. Recruiters told me they were not taking overseas candidate when my location clearly showed the UK. I’ve seen instances where people changed their native name to their English names on their CV and got called for job interviews after many rejections, heck this even made the news. Whilst A may have worked for you, it doesn’t translate to bad advise. Of course you’ll have to go through the interview process where you have to then sell yourself but you need to get in the door first.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Strange.
Your recruiter should have sent you a list of documents they can accept for that purpose.
Did you receive that?

According to the owner they asked him for proof of address, then he sent his tenancy agreement, they still demanded another and he sent NI and utility bills, and they are still asking for another.

Have told him to ignore the job.
Employers in middlesbrough has alot of rules.

Thanks for your input.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 7:26pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:

According to the owner they asked him for proof of address, then he sent his tenancy agreement, they still demanded another and he sent NI and utility bills, and they are still asking for another.

Thanks for your input.
dem no wan give am the job. Thats coded discrimination.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:31pm On Jul 12, 2022
Adazeal:

You see for you to be in this UK and thrive, you have to grow thick skin. You don't have to cower. Your wife is eligible for the student visa extension to enable her write her exam and get her result. Don't assume things, let her write to her department and faculty that she'd be retaking the module and would be needing a visa extension. Hear what they'd say first and take it up from them. I mean you paid huge amount of money for tuition, don't allow them take you for a ride even though you failed a course, that's the purpose of learning anyways.

As an aside, you(not your wife) can start applying for a course as a plan B. Let this option not be your main focus though.

Very good advice! We are used to letting go and just accepting in Nija, Always stand for your right here! Put things in writing always and have records of any communication.

Also @original poster, I do hope your "hustling", includes aiming at sponsored jobs, January is still a long way off and you can still accomplish this.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 7:33pm On Jul 12, 2022
jesmond3945:
dem no wan give am the job. Thats coded discrimination.

Exactly.
The guy don remove mind.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:44pm On Jul 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I beg to differ, this gets a lot of people in the door. In my early days here, just shy of last year. Recruiters told me they were not taking overseas candidate when my location clearly showed the UK. I’ve seen instances where people changed their native name to their English names on their CV and got called for job interviews after many rejections, heck this even made the news. Whilst A may have worked for you, it doesn’t translate to bad advise. Of course you’ll have to go through the interview process where you have to then sell yourself but you need to get in the door first.

The bias against ethnic minorities in recruitment is well known, there are several studies showing how similarly qualified candidates fare when CVs are stripped of identifying personal information, and so forth. That's not in dispute. There is also nothing wrong with unpaid volunteer roles where one has the financial wherewithal to stay in such a role for an appreciable period of time.

My point was simply that a) one does not need to appear not to have worked before/for a length of time to get a volunteer role, and b) except where a CV is anonymised (some companies say they do that, I know the Civil Service usually does for most of its roles, how ultimately useful that is is anyone's guess), short of a total name change one's ethnicity/origin is generally always discernible and thus there is always scope for any bias to play a part. Sometimes the so-called western name/African name dichotomy might be due to the fact that a recruiter might assume that the western name is evidence of one's relative "civilisation" and sometimes linked to the length of time one has spent in this country/out of their country and thus assume increased employability and so forth. I don't even have a so-called English name in the first place and long ago decided not to adopt one when I first came to the UK. However, I don't deride those who do, as I do see their reasons why.

Stripping out past experience because it is location-based might work if one's age could permit that kind of massaging of the truth - e.g. a person in their 20s or maybe early 30s might get away with it without a) attracting much notice from the recruiter, and b) attracting the wrong kind of attention, i.e. someone who apparently hasn't been doing much since their graduation/last educational achievement usually doesn't appear an attractive prospect, even for volunteer roles.

Ultimately, in a field as subjective as recruitment and selection, there are no real hard and fast rules regarding how to manage attitudes and biases (racism is there, it's a fact of life and its going nowhere), but a partial reinvention of oneself and identity, where possible, is not generally a means of avoiding bias.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:52pm On Jul 12, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

The bias against ethnic minorities in recruitment is well known, there are several studies showing how similarly qualified candidates fare when CVs are stripped of identifying personal information, and so forth. That's not in dispute. There is also nothing wrong with unpaid volunteer roles where one has the financial wherewithal to stay in such a role for an appreciable period of time.

My point was simply that a) one does not need to appear not to have worked before/for a length of time to get a volunteer role, and b) except where a CV is anonymised (some companies say they do that, I know the Civil Service usually does for most of its roles, how ultimately useful that is is anyone's guess), short of a total name change one's ethnicity/origin is generally always discernible and thus there is always scope for any bias to play a part. Sometimes the so-called western name/African name dichotomy might be due to the fact that a recruiter might assume that the western name is evidence of one's relative "civilisation" and sometimes linked to the length of time one has spent in this country/out of their country and thus assume increased employability and so forth. I don't even have a so-called English name in the first place and long ago decided not to adopt one when I first came to the UK. However, I don't deride those who do, as I do see their reasons why.

Stripping out past experience because it is location-based might work if one's age could permit that kind of massaging of the truth - e.g. a person in their 20s or maybe early 30s might get away with it without a) attracting much notice from the recruiter, and b) attracting the wrong kind of attention, i.e. someone who apparently hasn't been doing much since their graduation/last educational achievement usually doesn't appear an attractive prospect, even for volunteer roles.

Ultimately, in a field as subjective as recruitment and selection, there are no real hard and fast rules regarding how to manage attitudes and biases (racism is there, it's a fact of life and its going nowhere), but a partial reinvention of oneself and identity, where possible, is not generally a means of avoiding bias.
Accepted, but my argument was not stripping off ones experience in its entirety; it was strictly on the location. Taking out your location as Nigeria and leaving it to just the Role, Employer and Responsibilities - which from personal experience reduces bias.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:17pm On Jul 12, 2022
Hello Elders!

I do have some Qs about credit

- Do i need to sign up for experian and co before my credit will start to count?

- Will getting a UK DL add some points for me? (provisional)

- How long will i wait until i start to see changes?

Sorry for my plenty Qs

Thanks in advance grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:20pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:

Thanks for your input.

Has to be the most useless place in the UK, the employers like to play God there because they know students are more than the available jobs smh

I am convinced my village people made me choose the school there

lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:30pm On Jul 12, 2022
hustla:
Hello Elders!

I do have some Qs about credit

- Do i need to sign up for experian and co before my credit will start to count? No. You can go to any of the credit bureau websites and sign up and check your credit score now

- Will getting a UK DL add some points for me? (provisional) No. Registering to vote does

- How long will i wait until i start to see changes? Depends. When you have a credit event (get a cc, take out a loan etc.), the provider reports it to the credit agencies. They have different timeframes for doing so, usually about a month at the outside. Not sure how long it takes to report negative events, such as any CCJs wink.

- Whats the website that Ill use to link my rent payments with my credit? Credit Ladder, or something like that, I think. Its usefulness is still debatable.

Sorry for my plenty Qs

Thanks in advance grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:36pm On Jul 12, 2022
TheGuyFromHR

Thanks

I appreciate! cool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 8:44pm On Jul 12, 2022
hustla:

Has to be the most useless place in the UK, the employers like to play God there because they know students are more than the available jobs smh

I am convinced my village people made me choose the school there

lipsrsealed

As in ehnnnn
Anyways relocation is the best bet
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JustJoy0717: 8:47pm On Jul 12, 2022
Hi fam,

I need help tweaking with my CV to UK standard. I know this has been discussed before but I am just hoping I can be directed to that contact again.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mayo47(m): 8:50pm On Jul 12, 2022
Not Considered

AirBay:

100% understand but you need to make a decision ASAP.

The records show she came for a masters but was given a pgde due to her inability to pass a course. I do not know if this will be considered during visa application but I believe you have a higher chance of securing a visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:50pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:

As in ehnnnn
Anyways relocation is the best bet

I ran o

Absolutely detest that place and I dread going back

Might have to shuttle London abeg, cant come and be crying for jobs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:51pm On Jul 12, 2022
JustJoy0717:
Hi fam,

I need help tweaking with my CV to UK standard. I know this has been discussed before but I am just hoping I can be directed to that contact again.
Thanks

Use samples online and use cvmkr.com for a structured cv

Its free

6 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:52pm On Jul 12, 2022
Out of curiosity, I would like to know if credit can be transferred

Like, if I leave the UK and move to say Canada, can i transfer my score across borders?

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by frank043(m): 8:53pm On Jul 12, 2022
Good day all,
Please I need naira, I have pounds. Is there one with very good rates?
Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:58pm On Jul 12, 2022
frank043:
Good day all,
Thanks!

LexusGX
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pacypatty(f): 8:59pm On Jul 12, 2022
hustla:

I ran o

Absolutely detest that place and I dread going back

Might have to shuttle London abeg, cant come and be crying for jobs

Okay.
Looking at Sunderland or Chester though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by frank043(m): 9:17pm On Jul 12, 2022
hustla:

LexusGX

Is this the same person as Lexusgs430?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:22pm On Jul 12, 2022
frank043:

Is this the same person as Lexusgs430?

Yes
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:23pm On Jul 12, 2022
Pacypatty:

Okay.
Looking at Sunderland or Chester though

Is Sunderland any better?
Dont know about Chester
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mellady(f): 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2022
Hi everyone, please I need upto 2500 pounds urgently, who's selling with fair rates please. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Advision: 9:53pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Honestly I want to study but you will agree with me that it pays for man to do the hustle until everything is balance than woman doing the hustle. The hustle required for couples on the student route to balance well is not a child's play.

Let her also consider switching to tier2. Health care companies often have sponsorship license and are happy to sponsor people already in the uk.

You should also consider applying for tier2 jobs yourself

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 10:14pm On Jul 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

If I mention Abido now, BNF would be thrown at me ...... grin

Abido Contains clobetasol which is a steroid. Not to slight you , lexus but this cream is bad news.
Steroids cause paper-thin skin, darkening of skin in patches, diabetes, Hypertension, weak bones, decreased immunity, frequent falls, weight gain especially face and abdomen. You may want to stay away from this.

Before you buy this, you should probably know all of this as well. It's called informed consent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:27pm On Jul 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

It’s honestly a sticky situation. That’s why I always advise people to take off Nigeria from their CV’s and get a voluntary role here for that "UK experience".
Lol. It is the Nigerian experience that people on skilled worker visas used. Except you want to put it in proper context e.g experience as a POS agent in Nigeria may not be relevant in UK, not just 'Nigerian experience'

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:54pm On Jul 12, 2022
Viruses:

Lol. It is the Nigerian experience that people on skilled worker visas used. Except you want to put it in proper context e.g experience as a POS agent in Nigeria may not be relevant in UK, not just 'Nigerian experience'

For clarity because it appears people did not understand this. Nigeria as a location on the CV not your experience in Nigeria or else you’d have an empty CV. I hope this clarifies my previous post and do what works best for you. GoodLuck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:12pm On Jul 12, 2022
adedapodvirus001:
Good afternoon my people , Thank you for all you do in this forum.

Please I need your advice, counsel and suggestions on the current predicament of my wife in her study.

She has a Degree in Chemical engineering and came in to study analytical chemistry after looking at the course module but unfortunately what was on the course module was completely opposite of what was in the course content in reality and this posed a lot of challenges for her on the course. To cut the long story short, she has to repeat a module but the university is giving her an option to graduate with a post graduate diploma/ post graduate certificate instead of rewriting the course.

I have evaluated the whole situation and weigh the options and I think the best thing for her is to enroll for another master because the school is not ready to give her visa extension because our current visa expires January and the rewrite date for the course is also January and the results will not be ready in time for us to apply for the post graduate work Visa. This means the aim of coming in for the Msc initially is technically defeated.

My question is that will her visa be granted if she apply for another masters from inside the UK using the postgraduate certificate/diploma.

I look forward to your valuable contribution/ opinion/ suggestions on this matter.

look for a sponsored job visa, HACV are there for grabs

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dROC1: 11:16pm On Jul 12, 2022
frank043:
Good day all,
Thanks!

Interested. What's your rate?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 11:26pm On Jul 12, 2022
Estroller:
Try Amex
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/oLUWAoIaVU?XL=MNMNS

Their approval rate is high at the moment so you stand a good chance even if you've not been in the UK for so long. If you use my referral link to register, we both get some bonus avios points.

NB: Please be very mindful of how you use your credit card. To be safe, make sure you set up a direct debit to pay off your balance in full every month.

(1) (2) (3) ... (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.