Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,424 members, 7,822,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (518) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1184330 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:38pm On Jul 14, 2022
phyl123:

Birmingham is known as the Black Country.

Tom's of black people?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 11:17pm On Jul 14, 2022
Please what 4 in 1 app is that? Please share

mex551:
which app are u using. I just passed my theory test today. Multiple choice 44/50, hazard perception 62/75. That 4in 1 app really helped me. Thanks to Nairalanders for recommending it. Need to book Practical asap
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bakol: 1:01am On Jul 15, 2022
Optimistguy1969:

Hi Fatima,
Good morning. I wish I can reach you at this moment.
I want your advise.... contemplating moving my wife and daughter to the UK soon on a work visa. But I want to know how she can cope with work and a 2 year old daughter. Are creche expensive over to there?
Pls reply

With a child under 4 years, your wife would hardly be able to work due to restrictions relating to the child care.

1. Your baby will be in a nursery school which is outside the normal govt sponsored education. Hence, u pay as low as 30 pounds per day for 6 hours thereabouts.
2. The school closes 3pm if you so Which. This means ur wife will have to pick up the baby by that Time. Hence, she has a lot of restrictions as far as her availability is concerned.
3. Even child minders are worst with 20-30pounds per child.,

At the end, ur wife might only be able to work if your good self is off from work and u can take care of the Baby...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JustJoy0717: 9:18am On Jul 15, 2022
Hey fam,

Would appreciate any heads ups on this. My previous Agency employer gave me my P45 with wrong figures of the numberof months ive worked with him and the amountof tax he's deductedfrom my pay all of those months, I know he's clearly just trying to play smart.
How do I tackle this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:26am On Jul 15, 2022
bigtt76:
Please what 4 in 1 app is that? Please share

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:30am On Jul 15, 2022
Link to Amex CC pls, with avios

Not the one with annual fees o please

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 9:33am On Jul 15, 2022
phyl123:

Birmingham is known as the Black Country.

Birmingham is neither known nor part of the Black Country
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:39am On Jul 15, 2022
hustla:

Thanks
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/eMeKAOydtG?XL=MNANS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:39am On Jul 15, 2022
Thanks but just to be sure, is it this one?

[quote author=mex551 post=114749054][/quote]

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 9:40am On Jul 15, 2022
Whizkay:
Does anyone know what life is like in Birmingham? cost of living, culture towards immigrants etc.

Birmingham is Fun, depends on your location within Birmingham and lifestyle

Cost of living can range from £500-£10000 grin monthly depends on your bank account

Culture undecided everywhere is cool but avoid areas where lots of somalia/Romania/jamaica immigrants reside , not because they are racist but because of high crime rate.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 9:46am On Jul 15, 2022
Chinlov:

thanks so much for this insight.

do you happen to know any that could help?

So sorry, my friend . I do not. I can only suggest an econsult to your GP with pictures if allowed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:50am On Jul 15, 2022
bigtt76:
Thanks but just to be sure, is it this one?

. Yes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:58am On Jul 15, 2022
Advision:

Not sure why you cancel...but yes you can withdraw cash using your amec card....I think you get charged 3% charge though

@MrMash That is a huge no no with a credit card. You'll also get charged interest everyday and the interest on withdrawals is hefty in addition to the % charge on the amount withdrawn. It is always much more than the interest on using the card for purchases. It's a very fast way to get into spiralling debt.

If you want to withdraw money from a credit card, get a specific money transfer card which is purposely designed for accessing cash from credit cards.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/search/?goal=CC_MONEYTRANSFER

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2022
Thank you. I appreciate this.

mex551:
. Yes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ladyzain: 11:01am On Jul 15, 2022
Good morning elders in the house.thank you all for your useful tips here. We just moved to England on tier 2 visa. I am presently looking for a child minder in this areas either in Tiverton or Exeter a Nigerian who will be willing to look after children within few hours in the morning while my husband come pick them up after work as he will be doing night shift and may need a bit of 4 to 5 hours in the morning temporarily. Presently they have not resumed school as we are yet to get an accommodation but staying in lb and b and we both got a job. Please if any one is interested please DM me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ttmacoy: 1:53pm On Jul 15, 2022
Yes you are right many of these universities are aimed at making money from international students, and this isn’t helped given the average Nigerian youth here in nairaland is looking for a cheap university that has easy entry requirements.

It’s like someone I know doing MBA at Northampton then wondering why he is not getting good job offers like the better schools like LBS etc, well that’s the price when you seek cheap school with no gmat etc entry requirements so just quick and easy.

Amarathripple0:

With the way these universities treat international students, I’ve come to realise that these UK universities only care about one thing and that’s Money. During the Masters sef, you practically teach yourself. If her brain is still capable, she should take up another masters if not, I would advise you do the Masters instead so she can look for a job in her field as your dependant and hopefully (not promised though) get Tier 2 sponsorship. Masters isn’t required here to get a great job anyway, experience and certifications are what matters the most. Really sorry this is happening to your family but you have to make a decision fast as the clock is ticking.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ttmacoy: 1:54pm On Jul 15, 2022
Yes you are right many of these universities are aimed at making money from international students, and this isn’t helped given the average Nigerian youth here in nairaland is looking for a cheap university that has easy entry requirements.

It’s like someone I know doing MBA at Northampton then wondering why he is not getting good job offers like the better schools like LBS etc, well that’s the price when you seek cheap school with no gmat etc entry requirements so just quick and easy.

Many times these students do not understand the way recruitment works, and by the time they figure it out it’s usually late with recruitments programs closed and filled up.

Amarathripple0:

With the way these universities treat international students, I’ve come to realise that these UK universities only care about one thing and that’s Money. During the Masters sef, you practically teach yourself. If her brain is still capable, she should take up another masters if not, I would advise you do the Masters instead so she can look for a job in her field as your dependant and hopefully (not promised though) get Tier 2 sponsorship. Masters isn’t required here to get a great job anyway, experience and certifications are what matters the most. Really sorry this is happening to your family but you have to make a decision fast as the clock is ticking.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MrMash(m): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2022
Ticha:

@MrMash That is a huge no no with a credit card. You'll also get charged interest everyday and the interest on withdrawals is hefty in addition to the % charge on the amount withdrawn. It is always much more than the interest on using the card for purchases. It's a very fast way to get into spiralling debt.

If you want to withdraw money from a credit card, get a specific money transfer card which is purposely designed for accessing cash from credit cards.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/search/?goal=CC_MONEYTRANSFER

Thanks so much, I understand how it works now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by samint1: 2:13pm On Jul 15, 2022
Everything is relative. It depends on what you mean by life and cost of living.
Largely, Birmingham is a nice place, big, lots of jobs too.
You can choose your area of living based on how much you can afford on accommodation and transportation

Whizkay:
Does anyone know what life is like in Birmingham? cost of living, culture towards immigrants etc.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 5gee: 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2022
hustla:

Thanks
Here you go, enjoy
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/dAVIdGwbr6
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by 5gee: 2:47pm On Jul 15, 2022
Chinlov:

thanks so much for this insight.

do you happen to know any that could help?
Go for Damatol.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Optimistguy1969: 3:11pm On Jul 15, 2022
bakol:

With a child under 4 years, your wife would hardly be able to work due to restrictions relating to the child care.

1. Your baby will be in a nursery school which is outside the normal govt sponsored education. Hence, u pay as low as 30 pounds per day for 6 hours thereabouts.
2. The school closes 3pm if you so Which. This means ur wife will have to pick up the baby by that Time. Hence, she has a lot of restrictions as far as her availability is concerned.
3. Even child minders are worst with 20-30pounds per child.,

At the end, ur wife might only be able to work if your good self is off from work and u can take care of the Baby...
Thank you for the info
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Optimistguy1969: 3:12pm On Jul 15, 2022
Thank you very much
fatima04:

So many factors will impact how she cope with work and family e.g location, type of job/working hours, salary level, presence of family etc. Its not impossible for a woman to cope with a 2yr old whilst working but something will have to be sacrificed as well and will be dependent on the answer to some of the questions above.

Prices for Creche which is also known as Nursery in the UK varies and largely dependant on location. I know people living outside London paying £1200 pcm before the economic crisis while I was paying circa £700.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Optimistguy1969: 3:12pm On Jul 15, 2022
Thanks
semmyk:
Perhaps, you might get hands-on responses from the parenting in UK thread www.nairaland.com/7021004/parenting-uk-nigerian-migrant
@mamatukwas : over to you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tayo4567: 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2022
Please how long those appeal takes?

Did bio aug 6, got rejected jan 23rd because of birth certificate, they said i registered my birth certificate late. So they grant me permission to appeal,since feb 15 that i appealed I haven’t gotten any news from them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 3:43pm On Jul 15, 2022
hustla:

Thanks
https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/uREFEOqmgM?XL=MNANS

No annual fees and your get points for all your spends
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 4:09pm On Jul 15, 2022
Hi everyone, I am recruiting participants for my dissertation!

Survey takes 5-10 min
https://stirlingpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3F1b5JBGdkpRyZM

Eligibility:
1. Be a UK University or College Student
2. Be between sge 18 and 24. In case you are a University of Stirling student, you can take part from age 17

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 4:15pm On Jul 15, 2022
ttmacoy:

Many times these students do not understand the way recruitment works, and by the time they figure it out it’s usually late with recruitments programs closed and filled up.

While I agree on the importance of attending a good quality university, the Office for Students and QAA monitors the teaching standards and quality of universities in the country. A university maintaining its license for an academic session indicates it meets whatever benchmark has been set by the regulatory body.
Getting a job doesn't solely depend on the university certificate a student has, especially in post-graduate education. Many have the certificates without the proper skills to back them up. Some might have the skills but are unable to confidently portray and defend such skills in interviews.
Most of the learning done in post-grad education is self-study with guidance from tutors, and this is the same regardless of the "quality" of the university. Many Nigerians coming to the UK come with the sole purpose of "japa" and study courses that are either irrelevant, with low demand, or where they have no prior background.
While they might struggle and pass tests and exams, it's much harder to get past a skilled recruiter or a panel that knows exactly what to look for in the candidate.
Most recruiters will look past a degree and go for a skilled candidate unless a role explicitly requires the candidate has a degree. Where a degree is required, a BSc with skills would probably rank higher than someone with just a masters from an Ivy League university.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ttmacoy: 5:51pm On Jul 15, 2022
You have corroborated my main point, the majority of the people with the japa mentality and going for the cheap universities with less competitive entry requirements just to get out of Nigeria and this translates into the job opportunities they get.

I disagree with you that the University certificate doesn't have an impact, it has a massive impact. The university matters especially when you need to get jobs with companies that are willing/able to sponsor you for work permits. Not everyone needs to go to LSE, Oxford etc., sure, but the likes of East London University, London Met etc. that target international students are more focused on making money and don't provide enough support for the students they enroll. But again, those schools fit the needs of people with the japa mentality as you mentioned who are not willing to put in the effort and work required to get into better Universities.

I do agree that it takes more than your university degree to get the jobs, but it is important especially as an international student where the only thing that is familiar to the recruiter your CV will be the UK university. Once you have broken in and build experience, your degree and Uni matters less, but many of these Nigerian youth are going with little to no experience.

Quality also differs by Universities despite the teaching standards you referred to. The person I know studying for an MBA at Northampton was complaining about how the University has been assigning recent graduate international students who were unable to secure jobs to teach them. That is very poor no matter how you want to spin it, an MBA should be taught by people with lots of both academic and professional experience not recent graduates from the University who have been unable to secure jobs. I do not know what the official benchmark is but with the cases of mickey mouse degrees etc. over the years and other scandals that benchmark does not mean much to me. Irrespective of the benchmark you will be competing against bright international students from other countries and local students as well attending better Universities.

This same university of Northampton offers an MBA with a 1 year placement option but conveniently ignores the fact that there are not many industrial placement programs aimed at MBA students in the UK. Most industrial placements are for undergraduates students on a 4 year program not MBAs. The typical route is a summer internship leading to an offer for when you finish your MBA, but the school offers the 1 year placement to entice international students on the guise that it is one additional year for them to work in UK. And yet many international students enroll and pay tuition only to get stuck with no support from the school. Time will tell how many students get burned since the UK revamped its immigration system to encourage international students since Brexit, still early days but it doesn't look good from what I am seeing. The UK is deliberately being very liberal with the way they issue student visas and to me it is for money, I am not convinced that majority of those international students will get good jobs that can secure them work permits.

kode12:

While I agree on the importance of attending a good quality university, the Office for Students and QAA monitors the teaching standards and quality of universities in the country. A university maintaining its license for an academic session indicates it meets whatever benchmark has been set by the regulatory body.
Getting a job doesn't solely depend on the university certificate a student has, especially in post-graduate education. Many have the certificates without the proper skills to back them up. Some might have the skills but are unable to confidently portray and defend such skills in interviews.
Most of the learning done in post-grad education is self-study with guidance from tutors, and this is the same regardless of the "quality" of the university. Many Nigerians coming to the UK come with the sole purpose of "japa" and study courses that are either irrelevant, with low demand, or where they have no prior background.
While they might struggle and pass tests and exams, it's much harder to get past a skilled recruiter or a panel that knows exactly what to look for in the candidate.
Most recruiters will look past a degree and go for a skilled candidate unless a role explicitly requires the candidate has a degree. Where a degree is required, a BSc with skills would probably rank higher than someone with just a masters from an Ivy League university.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) (521) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.