Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,960 members, 7,828,398 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (537) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191284 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OgbeniOptional(m): 9:44am On Jul 25, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by santos247(m): 10:10am On Jul 25, 2022
obitryce:
I believe there's a recent outbreak of chicken pox in the UK cuz my eldest son just started showing signs of chicken pox last night and lucky for us a good friend just finished treating their son from the same ailment and brought over the remaining Calamine lotion they used and we started treatment on my son last night.
[color=#000099][/color]
Please exercise all precautions. Use dettol to sanitise every clothing, hand etc. My kids recovered very quickly but I got infected. The complications is very serious on me as of thisnmoment- swollen eye, blisters all over my face etc. I have been on antiviral drug for 3 days already. It is a serious disease in adult. UK doesn't have a routine immunization policy against chicken pox unfortunately.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:22am On Jul 25, 2022
Congrats on your soft landing.
One will guess it's the housing contract. A relatively short one so that you can renew if it suits you or search for new ones: By then you'll have understand the system much more and got some records.
Generally gas, so indicate gas heating and smart metering.
yemstico:
Thanks @solumtoya for your inputs. Please can you expantiate on the "be careful of the contract...." do you mean the housing contract or the job contract? So I can know how to roll up my sleeves. Do I pick gas heating over electric heating? Thanks allot for your time.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:36am On Jul 25, 2022
rubyio:

Not totally true.

You can do it.

NOTE: Currently studying in UK and I'm doing it. So, I know what I'm talking about

Are you sure you read and understood what I wrote? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 10:41am On Jul 25, 2022
rubyio:

Not totally true.

You can do it.

NOTE: Currently studying in UK and I'm doing it. So, I know what I'm talking about

Doing more than 20hrs, attending classes and doing all your assessment by yourself?

Tell us how u r doing it and your course of study

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yemstico: 10:53am On Jul 25, 2022
semmyk:
Congrats on your soft landing.
One will guess it's the housing contract. A relatively short one so that you can renew if it suits you or search for new ones: By then you'll have understand the system much more and got some records.
Generally gas, so indicate gas heating and smart metering.

Ok thank you. Much appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yemstico: 11:26am On Jul 25, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Milazaha: 12:29pm On Jul 25, 2022
MJ01:
Please does flying through Amsterdam with KLM require COVID vaccination proof / test ?

Did you get a response?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2022
Someone will ask you to please help him/her buy something in UK and help ship to Nigeria, after much consideration you will agree.

The person will na say you should please help him/her pay that they will pay you back. I don't understand o.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by philipomoraka: 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2022
nellaluv:
Iptv lovers and BBN fans I hope you're enjoying the two BBN channels for the two different houses. Premium package cool grin

Oga Lexusgs430 I thank you oo wink cheesy
Abeg oga Lexusgs430 and co, make Una help me with update o, na now I dey know about this mata o, I have installed nanomid and can’t get a good playlist to use on it yet, abeg make Una help
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by philipomoraka: 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2022
Lexusgs430:
IPTV lovers, that don't want to watch BBN....... Can watch OWN (Oprah Winfrey network)......... cheesy
Oga Lexusgs430, make you give me m3u playlist na, make I take follow up
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 1:12pm On Jul 25, 2022
yemstico:
Good evening great people of God. May God bless you and bless your husstles. Please I would like my Sabi people to help Torchlight on this matter as I be proper jjc.

I am moving to Coventry in 2 weeks time with my family of five on a tier 2 visa. Employer would assist in getting us accommodation while we pay. Please what are those things we should look out for in the rent terms. Is it wise to just pay for one month incase we need to move apartment or just stay put till we have gained a little ground?

Pls can someone who has lived in Coventry say something about the affordable areas and maybe a little advice as per settling down with family. Opening account, registering with GP etc.

I would have really loved if there is a little Coventry community one can familiarise with as it may be somewhat lonely in a new environment.

Thank you great people as you respond to my query.

Get in and stay put till you get a hang of things. That way you are better equipped to make decisions that are beneficial to your own situation.

For accommodations however, check areas around CV3. You would thank me much later.
All other issues including opening accounts and registering with the GP are not location specific and has been dealt with extensively on the thread.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chriswazo(m): 2:05pm On Jul 25, 2022
Lexusgs430:
IPTV lovers, that don't want to watch BBN....... Can watch OWN (Oprah Winfrey network)......... cheesy

Bro how can I go about getting this on my smart tv
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:51pm On Jul 25, 2022
rubyio:

Not totally true.

You can do it.

seunoj:

Doing more than 20hrs, attending classes and doing all your assessment by yourself?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:59pm On Jul 25, 2022
seunoj:

Aspire to Perspire to aspire to Maguire

grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:01pm On Jul 25, 2022
Viruses:
Someone will ask you to please help him/her buy something in UK and help ship to Nigeria, after much consideration you will agree.

The person will na say you should please help him/her pay that they will pay you back. I don't understand o.

Its not hard

Always refer them to known GBP dealers on this thread, if known dealer will accept payment from them at a later date, then thats fine cheesy

They pay known dealer
Known dealer credits your account
You help them buy
Everyone is happy

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 3:26pm On Jul 25, 2022
hustla:

Aspire to Perspire to aspire to Maguire

grin
The you in you is the you that makes you the you that you are. All you need is believe in yourself grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:32pm On Jul 25, 2022
Viruses:

The you in you is the you that makes you the you that you are. All you need is believe in yourself grin

Awake the Lion in you!
grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by beejay1157: 3:34pm On Jul 25, 2022
Hello house, please advice me. I have started my visa application online, I got to the passport number stage, the problem is the passport no on my COS is missing and I have a new passport now. The question is which passport number should i use on my application. The one on my COS or the new one?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:11pm On Jul 25, 2022
Solumtoya:
So Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used £2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of £6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract. 3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just £2k monthly and are given a £6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a £20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back £600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

Good evening, many thanks for this explanation. pls i need advice from you on credit card especially on American express CC. I recently opened one and credit of £1000 was given to me, i was planning to start using it. i just received a mail for overdue payment, i was surprised because i have not used it at all. I was told to make payment of.£25 and £975 left as remaining balance. i called them they said i did the one of annual payment, i need to be paying £25 yearly, i told them i never knew, but the lady said that she can switch me to the one that does not pay annual. please i am confused bc she gave me benefit of the both accounts but honestly i don't understand any terms she used, she said £10,000 will give me 1.2% honestly i don't understand. i am been careful not to fall for late payment. kindly advice me on the best one to use for my level, i am just trying to build up my credit. i can't be paying £25 every year. kindly advice bc it is urgent let me rectify this problem. kindly find attached pic . Many thanks for your response

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:31pm On Jul 25, 2022
Osoderi:

Good evening, many thanks for this explanation. pls i need advice from you on credit card especially on American express CC. I recently opened one and credit of £1000 was given to me, i was planning to start using it. i just received a mail for overdue payment, i was surprised because i have not used it at all. I was told to make payment of.£25 and £975 left as remaining balance. i called them they said i did the one of annual payment, i need to be paying £25 yearly, i told them i never knew, but the lady said that she can switch me to the one that does not pay annual. please i am confused bc she gave me benefit of the both accounts but honestly i don't understand any terms she used, she said £10,000 will give me 1.2% honestly i don't understand. i am been careful not to fall for late payment. kindly advice me on the best one to use for my level, i am just trying to build up my credit. i can't be paying £25 every year. kindly advice bc it is urgent let me rectify this problem. kindly find attached pic . Many thanks for your response

Since that nice lady offered you a switch and you don't want to pay £25 per year........

Tell the nice lady to hit the kill switch .......... grin

Late payments is a very bad stain on your credit file.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:55pm On Jul 25, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Since that nice lady offered you a switch and you don't want to pay £25 per year........

Tell the nice lady to hit the kill switch .......... grin

Late payments is a very bad stain on your credit file.......

ok. Thank you. but do you know the benefits on American express card
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:28pm On Jul 25, 2022
Osoderi:

ok. Thank you. but do you know the benefits on American express card

Buy now, pay later ........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 25, 2022
Osoderi:

Good evening, many thanks for this explanation. Many thanks for your response
I use this platinum everyday Cashback. No annual fee
https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-everyday-credit-card/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kannyman: 6:44pm On Jul 25, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Buy now, pay later ........... cheesy

Hi,

Hope to be in the UK by September, please, suppose I have all my monies for all that I need to buy, must I still use CC so as to build a credit score?

Is it ok if,
I get the credit card, use it for purchases and transfer it back to the credit card account at the due date... Is it possible I use it like a normal debit card? i.e I spend only the money I already have?

T for tenks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:11pm On Jul 25, 2022
Kannyman:

Hi,

Hope to be in the UK by September, please, suppose I have all my monies for all that I need to buy, must I still use CC so as to build a credit score?

Is it ok if,
I get the credit card, use it for purchases and transfer it back to the credit card account at the due date... Is it possible I use it like a normal debit card? i.e I spend only the money I already have?

T for tenks

Yes...... Many people do that because so long as you spend over £100........ You get a cast iron section 75 protection, on all purchases..........

By also managing credit properly, it helps in projecting a customer da da ni outlook to lenders .......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 9:26pm On Jul 25, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 11:23pm On Jul 25, 2022
Kannyman:

Hi,

Hope to be in the UK by September, please, suppose I have all my monies for all that I need to buy,must I still use CC so as to build a credit score?

Is it ok if,

T for tenks

No. A credit card is just one of several credit instruments you can use to build a credit score. If you can afford not to have/use it, please don't. The careless acquisition and usage of credit cards has ruined the lives of several people.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brandmix: 11:27pm On Jul 25, 2022
Owoado:
You can check Brockenhurst......it's a nice town though not bubbly like bigger towns. Just a train stop away from Southampton.

Cool will look it up.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by brandmix: 11:28pm On Jul 25, 2022
obalala:
First person i'm seeing on here moving to Southampton. Been here for over 6months and I can tell you accommodation aint easy. Try and get your company to sort an airbnb or hotel for at least 2 weeks while you search around for a place. Other than that its a chilling peaceful place.

Thanks for the heads up
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Munamoqel: 11:33pm On Jul 25, 2022
rubyio:

Not totally true.

You can do it.

is it possible to raise 10k pounds in the uk as a student ? After paying 10k with 5 months before enrolment
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:41pm On Jul 25, 2022
claremont:

No. A credit card is just one of several credit instruments you can use to build a credit score. If you can afford not to have/use it, please don't. The careless acquisition and usage of credit cards has ruined the lives of several people.

I use my credit cards for every payment I make at the shops......

Even if it's £1 doughnut, it goes on the credit card ...... cheesy

NB: Not financial advice........

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.