Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,069 members, 7,810,999 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (597) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169671 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (594) (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:28am On Sep 07, 2022
jesmond3945:
out of touch? [b]But the 400 pounds you are going to enjoy this winter came from him[/b]or is it the furlogh scheme.

Not his money, that is just my tax money, in fact his wife probably pay less than i do

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 10:31am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:
This is not true. We will be paying the money wasted on Covid for years!!
The furlough scheme had a lot of issues. Tax payer funds were wasted. I did not see any country that was paying people 80% and also gave them the opportunity to be working full time on another job. A lot of people were just collecting free money while working with another company.

There was always going to be dishonest people taking advantage but the DWP should have taken greater care to prevent this. In the long run a lot of people benefited from it instead of going on the streets begging. Landlords were prevented from evicting tenants during this period, which also helped .
Let’s give credit where it’s due.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 10:36am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:
The furlough scheme had a lot of issues. Tax payer funds were wasted. I did not see any country that was paying people 80% and also gave them the opportunity to be working full time on another job. A lot of people were just collecting free money while working with another company.

Covid was new to everyone, no one the right solution at the time, even the experts. These mistakes are better than a full blown recession.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:38am On Sep 07, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The top 4 jobs announced today all went to non white . I think UK deserve some credits in diversity

You will not see those shouting racism notice that.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:39am On Sep 07, 2022
It was not people being dishonest. Rishi's policy allowed people that are furlouged to work with another company and still retain the 80% furlough payment. I know a lot of people that were a lot richer during covid because of this. People were forming companies and collecting free covid funds!!

Let's not start with the issue of Landlords not evicting tenants. A lot of people that were capable of paying rent refused to do that. Infact, that was the majority because of the policy.

I am not a landlord but I am always of the opinion that policies should be fair.

What about stamp duty holiday that pushed house prices to almost double?

TBH, a lot of the covid policies were rubbish!! If we start debating it today, we will likely come to the conclusion that things could have been done way better. The only consolation is that they had to make quick decisions!!!

phyl123:

There was always going to be dishonest people taking advantage but the DWP should have taken greater care to prevent this. In the long run a lot of people benefited from it instead of going on the streets begging. Landlords were prevented from evicting tenants during this period, which also helped .
Let’s give credit where it’s due.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:40am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:

Fact!!

The guy was just incompetent, wasted tax payers money with no effort to check who is getting the money

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 10:41am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:
It was not people being dishonest. Rishis policy allowed people that are furlouged to work with another company and still retain the 80% furlough payment. I know a lot of people that were a lot richer during covid brcause of this.

Let's not start with the issue of Landlords not evicting tenants. A lot of people that were capable of paying rent refused to do that. Infact, that was the majority because of the policy.

I am not a landlord but I am always of the opinion that policies should be fair.

What about stamp duty holiday that pushed house prices to almost double?

TBH, a lot of the covid policies were rubbish!! If we start debating it today, we will likely come to the conclusion that things could have been done way better. The only consolation is that they had to make quick decisions!!!

COVID was a learning curve for both the government and the people. This government had never been in a pandemic before.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:42am On Sep 07, 2022
What did Rishi do that was not done by other developed countries? Nothing exceptional but wasted funds!!
Rubyventures:

Covid was new to everyone, no one the right solution at the time, even the experts. These mistakes are better than a full blown recession.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:43am On Sep 07, 2022
Agreed!! They made a lot of mistake!! Don't then use the so called covid policies to praise Rishi.

The least he can do to help issues is to allow his wife to pay tax not increasing our tax. I am so vexed with the non domicile status.
You claim you are still Indian and you are among the group that started the plan to topple Boris.

phyl123:

COVID was a learning curve for both the government and the people. This government had never been in a pandemic before.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 10:45am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:
Agreed!! They made a lot of mistake!! Dont then use the so called covid policies to praise Rishi.

But he saved ordinary people from going on the streets.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 10:46am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:

The support he provided waste. Will you still have a job without him? It behoves on you as a citizen to be honest and use the support judiciously. So you wanted him to fold his hands and watch people starve?
Go and read the letter boris wrote to him when he resigned. That you will be paid 400 pounds this october free is because of sunak.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:47am On Sep 07, 2022
phyl123:

But he saved ordinary people from going on the streets.
He gave free money to businesses including non- existing ones. Ordinary people are paying the price now

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 10:48am On Sep 07, 2022
justwise:

Not his money, that is just my tax money, in fact his wife probably pay less than i do
lol I see. He would have pocketed the money and you pay that bill.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 10:53am On Sep 07, 2022
justwise:

He gave free money to businesses including non- existing ones. Ordinary people are paying the price now

Rushi did a rubbish job i will not vote for him. But between Rushi and Liz . He was the better candidate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:55am On Sep 07, 2022
Do you know how much we pay as tax!!! What is £400 compared to that!!

By the way, I worked throughout the pandemic period. So I will still have a job. The government would not have been able to achieve all their so called policies if we were not working!!

jesmond3945:

The support he provided waste. Will you still have a job without him? It behoves on you as a citizen to be honest and use the support judiciously. So you wanted him to fold his hands and watch people starve?
Go and read the letter boris wrote to him when he resigned. That you will be paid 400 pounds this october free is because of sunak.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 10:56am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:
What did Rishi do that was not done by other developed countries? Nothing exceptional but wasted funds!!

Let me go and do some work .... to be continued ...........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:09am On Sep 07, 2022
jesmond3945:
lol I see. He would have pocketed the money and you pay that bill.

I did not need his money, i was not jobless during the pandemic, £400 is nothing compared to what i pay into the system or what it cost me to run my family.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:18am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:

By the way, I worked throughout the pandemic period. So I will still have a job. The government would not have been able to achieve all their so called policies if we were not working!!

Probably as a medic, rishi paid for that, record sums to nhs and emergency
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:22am On Sep 07, 2022
justwise:

I did not need his money, i was not jobless during the pandemic, £400 is nothing compared to what i pay into the system or what it cost me to run my family.
Please dont collect that 400 thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 11:23am On Sep 07, 2022
dupyshoo:

Please be a man of integrity and dont collect that money.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 11:26am On Sep 07, 2022
Please let's stop celebrating mediocrity!!!
jesmond3945:

Please be a man of integrity and dont collect that money.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by abiiabby: 11:32am On Sep 07, 2022
Hello,

Please can anyone help with this question?

I have applied to update my BRP name to my married name but I haven't gotten a response yet and I am planning a trip to Nigeria.
The last name on my passport is my married name and the name on my BRP is my maiden name. Can I travel from UK to Nigeria and back with my marriage certificate and my passport and BRP which have different last names?

Many thanks for your help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 12:04pm On Sep 07, 2022
JustJoy0717:
Chei! Amazon Prime just do me strong thing this morning. £39 zapped from my account. i don't even remember registering for the thing oo, just knew i was enjoying free next day delivery for my orders grin
Can i get my money back?

If you can chat their customer care, you'll be refunded. That's if you can navigate the app/website to chat with them. Ask them to cancel prime at their end. That sh!t is dodgy. I was refunded by the way
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 12:18pm On Sep 07, 2022
Hope we won't be dragging the position of the Queen when the time come like this.

Candidates contested free and fair election, one person won. What is the issue here?

Who is more competent to you may not be more competent to me and you can't force your candidate on others. And who said the more competent candidate must win election in politics.

If you are of colour and you think a person of colour is supposed to get the position, you're the real racist.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 1:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
wallg123:

My Oga it is obvious the choice of Lizz as against Sunak was a tilted a little bit by the race factor. Nobody is playing race card.
Sunak is not the best candidate, however sunak is better than Lizz. (In my opinion)

Haven’t you noticed over the last few years how the fair-right propaganda and agitation is gaining momentum all of we Europe?..

Sunak is a silly looking small boy with his tight fancy trousers and ridiculous way of talking.
He doesn't have gravitas and maturity. Nor does he carry himself well.
Tony Blair and Bill Clinton were [around] his age when they took control of their respective countries but at least they played the part well.

For those thinking Sunak is some sort of financial whiz w.r.t the furlough scheme, a) other developed countries all had similar programs during the covid lockdowns; and b) that is an old Treasury plan that has been available since for an economic depression-type situation/economic shock, whose development in its current form started under Gordon Brown and was carried on by Osborne, etc. Sunak just happened to be the chancellor when a situation needing it occurred. He's empty-headed and self-entitled.

Is he better than Truss? They're both at the same level in my mind, politicians simply saying what they think will get them elected, with no real vision or plan. Basically UK human resources have diminished in quality these days, and that's why the Tories bring out buffoons like Raab, Rees-Mogg and Braverman who will be the next home secretary, or long talkers like Kwasi who reminds me of that Edo House of Reps guy, Patrick somebody, faking big grammar as his own cartoon act, while people with sense and some ability like Gove and Hunt won't be allowed near power.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2022
jesmond3945:

Thats how yorubas will vote tinubu and igbos obi. Nobody should attack anybodtmy abeg. The whites have given us go ahead.

How on earth is Tinubu in his entirety (all factors considered) comparable to Liz Truss. abeg difference dey between malaria and cancer
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2022
Chinlov:

How on earth is Tinubu in his entirety (all factors considered) comparable to Liz Truss. abeg difference dey between malaria and cancer
i mean voting based on ethnicity. Anglo saxons vs indians, igbos vs yorubas
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2022
Rubyventures:

if everyone had this mentality, blacks would have still being in chain shackles. Even the whites that fought for the freedom of the blacks dont think this way. The freedom that the minorities enjoy today was fought for by both black and white. Not everyone wants to settle for less. Minorities contribute loads to the system, its only fair that they should not be shoved to the sidelines.
Russia and Nigeria are not fair societies so dont compare them to the UK.

Nobody is supporting anyone being shoved away, sentiments will always be part of decisions no matter how developed a society is and it will always contribute to sway the turn of events. until the end of time, racists or bigots or right wing or whatever you call them will always exist and also push their own agenda

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by JustJoy0717: 3:34pm On Sep 07, 2022
Thank you for the info.

I just cancelled, but yet to be refunded. How long would d refund take?

nellaluv:

If you can chat their customer care, you'll be refunded. That's if you can navigate the app/website to chat with them. Ask them to cancel prime at their end. That sh!t is dodgy. I was refunded by the way
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:09pm On Sep 07, 2022
jesmond3945:

In your eyes? This man literally saved 20 million jobs using the furlough scheme.
He was in a rush to support businesses and there was no time for checks. I can tell you what the economy has made since then is far more than they underwrote.

That his money distubtion was not the right approach . ... do you know how many of Europeans were packing this money in the cash and carrying it to their country. Even non existence companies somehow claimed

We all be paying the price in a long time for full blown inflation as so much money is now in circulation. Covid was new yes, there was panic yes ....but I don't think Rishi did a good job in what he did .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 4:15pm On Sep 07, 2022
JustJoy0717:
Thank you for the info.

I just cancelled, but yet to be refunded. How long would d refund take?

Search for contact customer care on the Web it will direct you to the app to chat with their representative. At least that's how I did mine. I couldn't get them on call. I asked them for refund, they told me prime was still active at their end, they sha cancelled it for me. I tot prime is £7.99 how come you were debited £39?

"Tell them that you want to cancel your prime subscription that you tot you cancelled but was still debited. If you'll get a refund.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2022
LagosismyHome:

That his money distubtion was not the right approach . ... do you know how many of Europeans were packing this money in the cash and carrying it to their country. Even non existence companies somehow claimed

We all be paying the price in a long time for full blown inflation as so much money is now in circulation. Covid was new yes, there was panic yes ....but I don't think Rishi did a good job in what he did .

This is the one that can drive one mad.
People literally registered companies overnight, opened accounts and claimed bounce back loans from the Treasury. It didn't occur to anyone to design simple safeguards to monitor how they were dishing out money, such as is the company really a company that has been doing business, so it can claim it has been affected by the lockdown. No such thing. You could have registered a company in April 2020 and claimed money in May 2020. And then so-called financial whizkid then said the loans will be written off because it would cost too much to track down and arrest those who defrauded the country. Imagine that.

There is a reason why the phrase 'heads must roll' is used in cases like that. So that there won't be a next time.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (594) (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.