Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,561 members, 7,823,483 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (600) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1185125 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 5:24am On Sep 09, 2022
Ticha:

I am buying as long as the deal stacks up! No one is creating more land. My tenant vetting processes have always been robust and we aim for tenants that any black mark on their credit would be abhorrent to them. The one 'bad' tenant we had paid rent throughout even with her skoin skoin.

Scotland has a rent increase and eviction ban in place till March 2023 at least. England is currently in consultations over a rental cap. Wales has stringent regulations in place. If you are aware of all the regulations and potential pitfalls, it's easier to manage. Property is like running any other business. Enter with a solid strategy and arm yourself with knowledge.

Wisdom, as usual
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 6:48am On Sep 09, 2022
deept:
Is it worth it being a landlord these days. Read somewhere Scotland is preparing or already has prepared an eviction ban law to prevent landlord from evicting tenants up to march next year because of the cost of living crisis. Wales is also towing same line.

Its in force already.

I was planning to increase the rent early this month (Scotland you need to give tenants 3 months advance notice and you can only increase the rent once every 12 months). That plan is dead in the water now. grin

I heard the ban is in place still march next year. I won't put it past nicola sturgeon to extend the ban. A ban is also in place for evictions. Thank goodness I have very good tenants and I use a reputable managing/letting agency.

Still not stopping from buying another "buy to let". I'm currently in the market looking for the next ideal property grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 7:39am On Sep 09, 2022
Long and short, keep calm, stand your ground firm. God save the king, accept the queen.
While at it, beware of shifting your statements, and too much robin turanchi.
Belize you've talked too much and shifted! In law, on the basis of balance of probability, you might come out as more unreliable out of the two, hence found less credible!!
Also, ensure you keep your voice calm as practicable as you calm. Dish, difficult at times!!!
[Caveat]: this is not a binding legal opinion or advice in law.
Adazeal:
Hi guys, please look at this issue and let me know if I'm wrong or not.
My power supply tripped off very early in the morning of a certain day, unfortunately, it was only mine that went off.
... ...
Now, the letting agency is telling me that I'm liable for the bills as it wasn't an emergency that I should have switched the circuit breaker/ switch board, that it's expected of me to do that. I told them I'm not liable as I had no idea where the fault was from and moreover I'm not an electrician. They're claiming now that they asked me over the phone if I have turned the switch board which they never did ask me. I told them I believe they record their calls and should go and listen again (they said they don't record calls and I recommended calling the telecommunication company for them to verify). I went ahead to tell them that even if they did I wouldn't know how to do it (the switch boards) as there are couple of switches to turn on and off which I wouldn't have known which is the right one. I also reminded them that the power tripped off again when a socket was about being plugged which indicates there must be an internal issue, in addition, that a lamp holder which I earlier complained about was completely removed by the electrician which he actually said might be what is triggering the power cut.
... ...
Please, I just want to be sure that I'm right so I can stand well or just close eyes and pay the so called bills.
Your opinions please. Sorry for the long read

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adazeal: 7:59am On Sep 09, 2022
LagosismyHome:

This one is a hard one because it just that you are JJC, if not the first point of contact would have been to check the switch board especially as gas company said everything was fine... when I was jjc I accidently turned my gas supply off without knowing it was me who turned it off when I put a box where it was .... similarly I was billed but that was slightly different as it was me who turned it off by accident

You can try to argue but maybe you find out what the call out charges were to see if it worth your time arguing. Hopefully if it not too much . If it not too much hopefully let them go ahead and report to landlord. Is landlord God??.... The Landlord might agree to cover it self.
Thank you. I actually tried to see if there were switches I could flick but there were lots of them and I was being careful not to end up amplifying the issue or even introducing a whole new problem altogether.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:23am On Sep 09, 2022
deept:
Is it worth it being a landlord these days. Read somewhere Scotland is preparing or already has prepared an eviction ban law to prevent landlord from evicting tenants up to march next year because of the cost of living crisis. Wales is also towing same line.

This shouldn't stop landlords from wanting to be landlords. All it most likely will do is to penalise renters, by making landlords with empty properties hike their rents now before they let them out and select only the absolute best of the best tenants (on paper). Those who dont have really good paying jobs, excellent references, etc, will have to cough up 6 - 12 months rent in adavance, that sort of thing.

Some other landlords will definitely decide the hassle is not worth it and turn to the short-term let market, but I don't see landlords leaving the market because of the new ban or the possibility of its extension. House prices likely to remain where they are or even continue increasing, the shortage of supply is still desperate.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:26am On Sep 09, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Its in force already.

I was planning to increase the rent early this month (Scotland you need to give tenants 3 months advance notice and you can only increase the rent once every 12 months). That plan is dead in the water now. grin

I heard the ban is in place still march next year. I won't put it past nicola sturgeon to extend the ban. A ban is also in place for evictions. Thank goodness I have very good tenants and I use a reputable managing/letting agency.

Still not stopping from buying another "buy to let". I'm currently in the market looking for the next ideal property grin

Please o, my Landlord increased my rent without any notice and others haven't had their rent increased (mine is a new contract / renewal)

I noticed it seems the property has a new owner and a new company now manages it. Is it something I can contest?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 8:29am On Sep 09, 2022
Did you not sign the new contract? cheesy

hustla:

Please o, my Landlord increased my rent without any notice and others haven't had their rent increased (mine is a new contract / renewal)

I noticed it seems the property has a new owner and a new company now manages it. Is it something I can contest?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:30am On Sep 09, 2022
Bourne007:
Did you not sign the new contract? cheesy

I signed o

They even told me they won't renew initially and sent an email someone paid a deposit.

I was livid. Planning to leave in Jan though
angry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ugoonuoha: 8:47am On Sep 09, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 9:32am On Sep 09, 2022
Then there's nothing to contest LOL .. . I'm pretty sure others will have theirs increased once they are up for renewal

hustla:

I signed o

They even told me they won't renew initially and sent an email someone paid a deposit.

I was livid. Planning to leave in Jan though
angry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:34am On Sep 09, 2022
Modupeoluwa123:
Good morning family.
Please I need help.
I took a bus (national coach) from London Victoria to Leeds.
I realized a family (two guys, one lady and a child) had about seven bags and unfortunately they are same with mine.
I tagged my bag appropriately with my name and tag but this family dropped off at Sheffield and when I got to Leeds, I realized my bag wasn’t in the cabin.

I’ve been at Leeds since morning because I missed my bus as a result of this.
I have a lot in my bag and food that can last me for six months because I only have money to pay my tuition with me.
I also have all my drugs in it as I’m an ulcer patient.
I have been crying since because I really don’t know how the national express will find my bag and I’m feeling sick already.
I have sent messages to all the groups I belong perhaps the family might be on the group.
What can I do please.

EDIT: I knew you would be fine.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Naijapensioner(m): 9:43am On Sep 09, 2022
[quote author=Maturedhustler post=109683542]

Thanks Chreze for always having me in mind.
I appreciate the all responses (Healthyliving, Umarwy and Pearlyfaze) on my issue. I cherished the sincere advices.

I am already working out on keeping the kids here but will like to give more insight.

My 16yr kid will turn 17 by April and was in final class in Nigeria b4 we moved. He is expected to register for WAEC latest tomorrow, write WAEC & JAMB before June. I have not be able to secure permanent accommodation yet and all my kids are not back to school after 3wks in Scotland. I am just thinking allowing him to return will give additional opportunity to possibly apply to any other university/college outside UK. I know that will be at a cost.

@ Maturedhustler.
I am in the same situation presently. Coming to UK via study route. Plan to be in UK this year with my daughter who will be resuming in her final class here in Nigeria this September and therefore due to write her WAEC exam in May/June next year. Pls how did you resolve the issue of your own 16 yrs kid mentioned above?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Naijapensioner(m): 9:44am On Sep 09, 2022
Thanks Chreze for always having me in mind.
I appreciate the all responses (Healthyliving, Umarwy and Pearlyfaze) on my issue. I cherished the sincere advices.

I am already working out on keeping the kids here but will like to give more insight.

My 16yr kid will turn 17 by April and was in final class in Nigeria b4 we moved. He is expected to register for WAEC latest tomorrow, write WAEC & JAMB before June. I have not be able to secure permanent accommodation yet and all my kids are not back to school after 3wks in Scotland. I am just thinking allowing him to return will give additional opportunity to possibly apply to any other university/college outside UK. I know that will be at a cost.

@ Maturedhustler.
I am in the same situation presently. Coming to UK via study route. Plan to be in UK this year with my daughter who will be resuming in her final class here in Nigeria this September and therefore due to write her WAEC exam in May/June next year. Pls how did you resolve the issue of your own 16 yrs kid mentioned above?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:57am On Sep 09, 2022
lowander:
Hello All, please I need clarification on something. I recently got a job in the Uk with salary of £50,000.

Below are my questions:
I) is the salary above fair enough for a single guy
Ii) How easy is it to get side jobs outside the one on my work visa?

£50k is a very decent salary even for a family. What part of UK would you be living in cos if it's London, for instance, it won't be as good a Salary anymore.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by muami(m): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2022
I also suggest you let it slide. It is unfortunate that you did not know about checking the circuit breaker. However, it will be hard for you to argue that it is the landlord's responsibility to pay for the callout. As a general rule, the tenant is responsible for switching back on a tripped circuit breaker while the landlord is responsible for replacing a damaged/broken circuit breaker.

Cleanworld:

Let it slide please, its one of those things. I presume you must have used a faulty eletric kettle or some faulty appliances that triggers the power off from the circuit breaker/ switch board. Once you know what the trigger is next time just go to the board and switch it on (its second to the last switch in most cases). If you want to push this further you will end shootn your own foot. Take care

Adazeal:
Hi guys, please look at this issue and let me know if I'm wrong or not.

My power supply tripped off very early in the morning of a certain day, unfortunately, it was only mine that went off. I called 105 and my energy supplier, after series of questions and information I gave them from both my gas and electric meters, they confirmed my meters were working fine and that I should contact my landlord for internal issues.

I called my letting agency as I got the apartment through them and complained to them about the power cut. They didn't get back to me and I called them later in the afternoon (meanwhile I had no power supply or even gas as the gas switch works with electricity) and they said oh they'd contact their emergency technician. Meanwhile, I received a voicenote from them when they couldn't reach me saying if it's not an emergency they wouldn't pay the bills.

Late into the afternoon I didn't hear back from them and decided to put a call across while telling them it's an emergency as it's almost dusk and I still have no gas and electricity. At the end of the day, the electrician came along, went to the electric meter and turned a number of switches on and off and the power was restored. Few minutes later, it tripped off again as a socket was about getting plugged which was what actually led to the first power cut but we didn't know it was what caused it. Because of this, the electrician checked some sockets in the apartment and found nothing wrong with them. However, he removed a partially faulty bulb and it's placeholder which I earlier complained about when I initially moved into the apartment and said that might be the cause of the tripping.

Now, the letting agency is telling me that I'm liable for the bills as it wasn't an emergency that I should have switched the circuit breaker/ switch board, that it's expected of me to do that. I told them I'm not liable as I had no idea where the fault was from and moreover I'm not an electrician. They're claiming now that they asked me over the phone if I have turned the switch board which they never did ask me. I told them I believe they record their calls and should go and listen again (they said they don't record calls and I recommended calling the telecommunication company for them to verify). I went ahead to tell them that even if they did I wouldn't know how to do it (the switch boards) as there are couple of switches to turn on and off which I wouldn't have known which is the right one. I also reminded them that the power tripped off again when a socket was about being plugged which indicates there must be an internal issue, in addition, that a lamp holder which I earlier complained about was completely removed by the electrician which he actually said might be what is triggering the power cut.

They're not happy with my stand and they're saying they'd report me to the landlord that I've breached the contract as my call wasn't an emergency call (was without electricity and gas for close to 12 hours) and that if I don't pay, the technical company might charge me to court and I told them to go ahead as I did everything within my ability to tend to this issue before coming to them and moreso, I am not the cause of the electrical fault.

Please, I just want to be sure that I'm right so I can stand well or just close eyes and pay the so called bills.

Your opinions please. Sorry for the long read
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Cleanworld(f): 10:05am On Sep 09, 2022
kk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 10:21am On Sep 09, 2022
I’m a newbie in uk with student visa. Gurus in the house what quick job can I get that will offer me 20hrs work time a week
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lowander(m): 10:21am On Sep 09, 2022
Solumtoya:

£50k is a very decent salary even for a family. What part of UK would you be living in cos if it's London, for instance, it won't be as good a Salary anymore.

Am going to Guernsey, channel island
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:26am On Sep 09, 2022
lowander:

Even better tax wise .... this offer isn't bad at all
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:30am On Sep 09, 2022
Bourne007:
Then there's nothing to contest LOL .. . I'm pretty sure others will have theirs increased once they are up for renewal

I think there is a clause in the contract which says it can be renewed
Didnt have strength for back and forth arguments and lloking for a new house so I just signed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 11:53am On Sep 09, 2022
hustla:

I don't know where you're based. But what I posted is the rules in Scotland

Its so bad that 12months minimum or 6 months minimum tenancy agreement is illegal. Tenants are on a monthly rolling contract.

I use a letting agent, so they adhere strictly to the legal framework.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2022
lowander:

Good offer you got.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 1:07pm On Sep 09, 2022
lavida001:
I’m a newbie in uk with student visa. Gurus in the house what quick job can I get that will offer me 20hrs work time a week

Applying foam and pads in a care home.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:34pm On Sep 09, 2022
[quote author=Naijapensioner post=116494950][/quote]

If your son misses one/two years, it's not the end of the world.........

What he might gain doing JAMB now, would later disappear in strikes etc etc etc .........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:36pm On Sep 09, 2022
Ralphlauren:

I don't know where you're based. But what I posted is the rules in Scotland

Its so bad that 12months minimum or 6 months minimum tenancy agreement is illegal. Tenants are on a monthly rolling contract.

I use a letting agent, so they adhere strictly to the legal framework.

I'm in Middlesbrough, England.
Nonsense place
Seems it's not the norm here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:36pm On Sep 09, 2022
MichaelUde:

Applying foam and pads in a care home.

grin

And start to chop depression small small after a few months
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 1:52pm On Sep 09, 2022
lavida001:
Please download Indeedflex on app/playstore (they have cleaning jobs, replenishment, housekeeping jobs with 5-6 hours on a temporary basis). You don't have to do care work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2022
The thing I'm enjoying now is watching BBC and seeing the King of England driving in a small 3 car convoy along the road I used to follow from Uxbridge to central London. Outriders clearing the road smoothly, moving in and out, the convoy passing ordinary traffic in other lanes as usual, of course the aerial, ground and other security must be tight and all that, but ordinary motorists are barely affected.

On the other hand, if any of those bloody wankers in power in Naija were to be passing somewhere...

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 1:54pm On Sep 09, 2022
hustla:

grin

And start to chop depression small small after a few months

It is not everyone that will get depressed from doing care. It's just a job!!!

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2022
ugoonuoha:

Hi, please can I PM you about the re-apply process? What happens to the original application fees/IHS? Mine is 10 weeks and counting!

When you reapply, you will be asked if you have a pending application awaiting a decision and prompted to provide UAN/GWF number, if you select yes.

The old application will be nullified, I am not sure what happens to the previous IHS after biometric as I didn't pay (applied for Health and care visa). But the visa fee for old application will be forfeited.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2022

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2022
AKALAMAGBO:
I’m not sure it’s valid since you’ve been in the UK more than a year, I saw this online today, so I might be right… You can ask DVSA
Oh!

Thank you for this

(1) (2) (3) ... (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.