Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (677) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1176631 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 8:02pm On Oct 20, 2022
justwise:

I'm British so zip it

So what exactly are you defending here?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Nigerians against snobs like you

31 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 8:18pm On Oct 20, 2022
justwise:

Nigerians are double charged and they are not entitled to public fund while British citizens use NHS even if they don't pay a penny,

A lot of British citizens rather sit on their lazy backsides and claim benefit rather than take those jobs Nigerians students do.

Nigerians student visa holders pay for everything till they get resident paper.

British govt charger those Nigerians even for sending emails or calls to find out about their visa application.

So stop this Nigerians are taking this and that because you got no clue what they go through to survive here.

From the bottom of my heart, God bless you for this especially the last paragraph.

The truth is most British citizens who are not immigrants don't know what migrants go through. They just think they see a migrant on the street and he/she is fleecing them. I got an offer with another firm willing to pay immigration cost for myself and 2 of my dependants, a director with my current employer not wanting me to leave just asked how much the visa and ihs costs is, when i told him it is something in the region on 10k, i saw the shock on his face and he simply said as a family man himself, he would advice me to take the offer (I am a tier 2 visa holder with 4 dependants). Not that my my kids have fallen ill since they came into the UK to need NHS infact they had all immunizations back home compulsory and optional before coming in.

Myself and Wife pay NI and Tax plus the 10k they collected and we were already planning to cough out another 10k next year for visa extension if not for this offer that came through.

The UK govt should use the money they get from migrants judiciously by expanding their social infrastructure to cope with the increasing population. You don't collect money from people and not make adequate provision for them. Nigerian migrants are not their problem.

33 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 8:21pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Stop defending nonsense.
The issue here is that Nigerians are taking advantage of the student visa route and bringing everybody in their family. The Student visa was not designed for that.

There is a housing crisis because student accomodation is supposed to house single people and not whole families. Most Nigerians coming in can not afford to pay for housing which is suitable for whole families that is the main issue.

Women are coming in heavily pregnant and giving birth for free on the NHS...can they try that one in America?

3-4 New immigrant children are being placed in schools and British born children who have parents who have paid taxes for years have to stay home.

As I said, The student visa was not designed for families but now the government is aware that Nigerians are taking the piss they will put a stop to it.

Uzomarrr12345:

That the mentality many Nigerians have .. lol … they feel entitled because they’ve paid so much money on acquiring MSc in UK .

There’s a reason why it called “Skilled worker”

There’s a reason why many Indians you see in UK/US tech industries are on work visa direct !

If you know you are skilled enough with enough professional certifications and you are outstanding at whatever you do ..Go for it .

But if you feel that just because you paid £14,000 to study MSc in food & nutrition in one low ranking university owned by one pakistan man… ;lol…therefore the UK should give you a job and let you bring your family grin grin

My brother , you are on a long thing , your visa might even expire before your convocation self grin

Can you both just keep shut and stop insulting our intelligence?

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong for someone to enrol in a masters programme with the intent of building the required resume and emigrating legally. The reason we all went to school was to access better opportunities. These are not folks with bogus asylum claims.

A masters programme is not worth separation from ones partner and kids. It is ABSOLUTELY right for any married person coming for a masters degree to come with their family if they see fit and well within their rights to seek job opportunities afterwards.

It's insulting to insinuate that someone who has abided clearly by the rules of legal immigration is trying to play the system.

33 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 8:53pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Out of compatriotism you guys should stay in your land o...UK is not a bed of roses and life is a lot harder than in Nigeria.

Again Honourable Gateman of the British Empire.

We like the hard UK life.

It is clear that you are triggered. Triggered at the prospects of these migrants taking odd jobs, building their lives slowly then taking your high perched jobs. The same job from which you derive your sense of achievement and accomplishment.

You see the depth of experience the migrants bring into the country and like it has and would always be (as it happened for your folks), their breakthroughs are only a question of time.

These thoughts trigger you, they threaten your confidence. But don't worry too much, I'd pray you find peace.

Always remember, the sky is large enough for all birds to soar. May the good Lord hill you.

24 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 8:56pm On Oct 20, 2022
justwise:

Nigerians against snobs like you

I am not a snob sha...but carry on.
You just don't like to hear the truth.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chinlov: 9:01pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma's Parents certainly are true Nigerians just as we all are. they saw an opportunity and took it and abused the system (as he said) otherwise they should have only worked for a while and if they get pregnant, go back to Nigeria to give birth to him so that they would be patriotic Nigerians (as he recommends).

#BELIKE GEMMA'SPARENTS

20 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2022
iboboyswag:

Again Honourable Gateman of the British Empire.

We like the hard UK life.

It is clear that you are triggered. Triggered at the prospects of these migrants taking odd jobs, building their lives slowly then taking your high perched jobs. The same job from which you derive your sense of achievement and accomplishment.

You see the depth of experience the migrants bring into the country and like it has and would always be (as it happened for your folks), their breakthroughs are only a question of time.

These thoughts trigger you, they threaten your confidence. But don't worry too much, I'd pray you find peace.

Always remember, the sky is large enough for all birds to soar. May the good Lord hill you.

Unlike you I am not after a job..lol..I don pass the level of 'job'. I have long established myself as a landlady with multiple with mortgage free properties and as a successful invester in the UK to the point where I can sit back and enjoy my passive income.

My daily activities include advising new immigrants on how to naviagate the system, UK way of life and other philantrophic/charity work.

As I said I am simply here to offer advice to genuine Nigerian immigrants on life in the UK and will continue to call out the those who continue to abuse the system. like it or lump it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 9:06pm On Oct 20, 2022
Chinlov:
Gemma's Parents certainly are true Nigerians just as we all are. they saw an opportunity and took it and abused the system (as he said) otherwise they should have only worked for a while and if they get pregnant, go back to Nigeria to give birth to him so that they would be patriotic Nigerians (as he recommends).

#BELIKE GEMMA'SPARENTS

My parents applied for the right visas. They came in and worked in the health and rail industry and bought multiple properties in SE London which now mortgage free and are rented out now on average for £3000pm each. Inspired by my parents I also have acquired my own few freehold properties which I rent out.
They didn't pretend to come in as students to abuse the system...Yeah be like my parents and get the right visa

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2022
dubaiprince:

From the bottom of my heart, God bless you for this especially the last paragraph.

The truth is most British citizens who are not immigrants don't know what migrants go through. They just think they see a migrant on the street and he/she is fleecing them. I got an offer with another firm willing to pay immigration cost for myself and 2 of my dependants, a director with my current employer not wanting me to leave just asked how much the visa and ihs costs is, when i told him it is something in the region on 10k, i saw the shock on his face and he simply said as a family man himself, he would advice me to take the offer (I am a tier 2 visa holder with 4 dependants). Not that my my kids have fallen ill since they came into the UK to need NHS infact they had all immunizations back home compulsory and optional before coming in.

Myself and Wife pay NI and Tax plus the 10k they collected and we were already planning to cough out another 10k next year for visa extension if not for this offer that came through.

The UK govt should use the money they get from migrants judiciously by expanding their social infrastructure to cope with the increasing population. You don't collect money from people and not make adequate provision for them. Nigerian migrants are not their problem.

Zero! They are clueless, i mean majority of them will not pass life in the UK test. They can't distinguish between legal and illegal immigrant.

As long as you are not British to them you are a free loader who came here to abuse the system.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 9:20pm On Oct 20, 2022
See as una just scatter everywhere. Something wey I been don read finish, now I just read 4 pages about Nigerian and India. Comparison that will never end, even when there is no need to compare.

Una do well.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 9:23pm On Oct 20, 2022
HollyMadison:

I’m using the chair, in pink, it’s really good and I had horrible back pain from being a banker for years. I’m also fully remote

Thanks. I will proceed to order before e finish.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:31pm On Oct 20, 2022
MINI budget caused MAXI economic crisis and the MIDI PM had to bolt!

What a day! in the land of King Charles
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HondaLover(m): 9:37pm On Oct 20, 2022
Chreze:
See as una just scatter everywhere. Something wey I been don read finish, now I just read 4 pages about Nigerian and India. Comparison that will never end, even when there is no need to compare.

Una do well.
The comparism has been going on for a couple of days or weeks now.......
The sad part is it ends up getting abusive and messy.

I think we all can pass across our messages or opinions without being abusive.

The togetherness of this group is dwindling.

If it's not a drama on Student visa today, it's a drama on shite pay or something.

Make una rest ó.

By the way, edakun me I'm lazy to read jàre (the political architecture of this country is kinda clumsy to me, I know the labour and Conservatives are like a party system yeah? If a party is still in Government they have the right to unseat a sitting PM yeah? Which was elected at more or less a primary election eg
(RS vs LT). Edakun ẹ ṣàlàyé o).

CC @Semmyk
CC @Lexusgs430
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 9:37pm On Oct 20, 2022
[quote author=kode12 post=117731737]

You're actually the one with a rubbish stance. You're saying Nigerian students are flooding student accommodations with their whole families, so why is there such a huge demand for 2-3 bed properties around the country, with the available properties turning into bidding wars, and properties going at 30-70k over asking? I really don't understand why you're crying more than the bereaved. If the UK government so feels that the net economic benefits of immigrant students is far less than the strain they're causing to the system, let them put a stop to it. Nigerians will simply go elsewhere; it has happened before.

Not wholly accurate : it appears to be a lot harder for Nigerians to now get student visas to other countries like Canada and Australia. Partly why so many are coming to the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Meogom: 9:45pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Yeah her focus should be on Nigerians because they are abusing the system.

Students are normally single people

Students consisting of a grown man/wife & partner with 3- 5 kids is not normal and taxing on the system. Yes they are paying for healthcare but are they also paying for school places, books, pens, free food and all the other amenities that these children use? It is something when British Born children can't find a place in school because a new Nigerian immigrant child has taken their place.

There are more Indians and Chinese coming in as students than Nigerians but these are genuine students coming alone to study. It is the Nigerians who are packing whole families here.

Suella will be back. She probably only resigned so that she could do so before the PM.

As e dey pain them e dey sweet us, and as e dey sweet us e dey pain them (in Wike's voice)

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 9:50pm On Oct 20, 2022
Chreze:

Thanks. I will proceed to order before e finish.

Abeg send me the link. Let me expense it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 9:54pm On Oct 20, 2022
cheesy So no be only me Dey feel like this
Chreze:

If I tell you say I have been on this site since two days trying to cover pages I missed you no go believe. If you no read am you go just de feel say them don talk something wey de important to you and your family. grin grin

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 10:01pm On Oct 20, 2022
I see where Gemma is coming from in some ways.

The majority of Nigerian immigrants might be hardworking and resourceful, however Nigeria does have a bad reputation for a reason because there is a fair number of people who look for ways to fleece the system, thereby making it a lot harder for genuine people.

All the POF scams for example. Applicants using chicanery to pretend that they have the required funds even though they know that they lack sufficient means to sustain them and their dependents.

There have been numerous posts where people have to be "convinced" that they do not qualify for 30hrs nursery funding or other grants/benefits as they count as public funds. To British citizens/residents who pay taxes and do not even claim these benefits, it can be very annoying to hear or see immigrants who have not yet contributed to the system (and students who do not pay tax) trying to claim these benefits. It can also make them wonder what benefits these people would go on to claim as soon as they have obtained citizenship. This is what easily stokes resentment in Brits - feeling like they're being taken for a mug

Also, the complaints. No country is perfect. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it can be quite grating hearing migrants complaining about the NHS and other aspects of British life. The obvious response would be "why don't you go back then, if it's so wonderful where you're from!"

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 10:06pm On Oct 20, 2022
cool cool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 10:08pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Out of compatriotism you guys should stay in your land o...UK is not a bed of roses and life is a lot harder than in Nigeria.

you must be really having a tough time my dia. Drink water and sleep biko you dont have talk

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 10:10pm On Oct 20, 2022
HondaLover:

The comparism has been going on for a couple of days or weeks now.......
The sad part is it ends up getting abusive and messy.

I think we all can pass across our messages or opinions without being abusive.

The togetherness of this group is dwindling.

If it's not a drama on Student visa today, it's a drama on shite pay or something.

Make una rest ó.

By the way, edakun me I'm lazy to read jàre (the political architecture of this country is kinda clumsy to me, I know the labour and Conservatives are like a party system yeah? If a party is still in Government they have the right to unseat a sitting PM yeah? Which was elected at more or less a primary election eg
(RS vs LT[b][/b]). Edakun ẹ ṣàlàyé o).

CC @Semmyk
CC @Lexusgs430

LT na pensioner nw
45days to cash out £115k every year.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 10:11pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

your type has nothing to offer keep crying wolf while an immigrant rises up to become the PM and govern you. Like I said pick up a skill and stop enjoying govt benefit we pay for to keep you afloat smiley smiley smiley

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 10:14pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

You didn't make any sense...most importantly you didn;t even understand what I wrote because where did I say that they were flooding student accomodation?

Student accomodation is readily available..the issue is, such accomodation is not meant to house families..what part of that don't you understand?

In the meantime Nigerians are complaining that they can't find accommodation but that is because they either can't afford it or do not have UK credit records or a guarantor.

Again the sense of entitlement is astounding.

Crying more than the bereaved? I have been paying taxes here for how many years and I have every right to have an opinion on how they are used.

The UK will soon stop this nonsense sha. Nigerians should stay where they are and fix their country instead of running over here to complain and over use resources.
They should please yank this guy off this site.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DrObum(m): 10:15pm On Oct 20, 2022
Josh121:

Oh can you tell us your story on how you got here and start paying tax, let me guess you also came as a student . Bad belle
Ignore that fellow.

I don't know why some Nigerians are pained that other Nigerians are labouring to establish themselves.
As long as you're not into crime, I'm proud of all Nigerians using all legal means to secure a better future.

Some of these guys shouting have been here for long, agreed. However, if you check their history, they also came as students or their parents also came in similar fashion. Now, they are the moral guardians of who should come or not.

One silly one the other day was pained that going to the UK isn't a thing for the elites as it used to seem some years back. Now, any one can plan and land here.
You can imagine how some humans reason.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:19pm On Oct 20, 2022
Zahra29:

The majority of Nigerian immigrants might be hardworking and resourceful, however Nigeria does have a bad reputation for a reason because there is a fair number of people who look for ways to fleece the system, thereby making it a lot harder for genuine people.

All the POF scams for example. Applicants using chicanery to show that they have the required funds even though they know that they lack sufficient means to sustain them and their dependents.

There have been numerous posts where people have to be "convinced" that they do not qualify for 30hrs nursery funding or other grants/benefits as they count as public funds. To British citizens/residents who pay taxes and do not even claim these benefits, it can be very annoying to hear or see immigrants who have not yet contributed to the system (and students who do not pay tax) trying to claim these benefits. It can also make them wonder what benefits these people would go on to claim as soon as they have obtained citizenship. This is what easily stokes resentment in Brits - feeling like they're being taken for a mug

Also, the complaints. No country is perfect. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it can be quite grating hearing migrants complaining about the NHS and other aspects of British life. The obvious response would be "why don't you go back then, if it's so wonderful where you're from!"

My posts here is not in support of those who abuse the system, nobody here come down on fraudsters more than i do, my frustration with Gemma11 view is the generalisation, her hardcore nationalistic view, student visa holders contribute upfront more into the system than any other type of immigrants.

The UK govt has the means and ways to limit number of students coming in with their families, you can't throw them under the bus after granting them visas at high cost then when they get in you start shouting immigration number bla bla bla

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DrObum(m): 10:21pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Not every black Nigerian person 'came' to the UK. Some of us are born and raised in this land. My parents were paying Uk taxes long before I was born here in London. I am now also paying my own share....na you get bad belle..lol

Anyway the reason why I contributed to this thread was just to help genuine students and Nigerian immigrants answer questions about life in the UK not those who want to play ojoro to fleece the system.
How did your parents arrive here?

In your mind, you're the privileged few but forgot that not too long ago, your parents did the same.

Tomorrow, the offspring of today's students won't allow others rest.
Well, if you like be born in No. 10 Downing Street, when shit hits the fan, you're a black man and would receive the same discrimination with your passport.
Rest my dear

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Frezhkid10(m): 10:26pm On Oct 20, 2022
Hello everyone..I have a question to ask
I just got a job in nestle uk and they offer to pay me £47,000 annually plus tax..
Please considering the standard of living in Uk..can this salary offer make me a middle class earner in uk??..
Am asking because I have another offer here in Nigeria that want to pay me the almost the equivalent of that amount..
I want to use your opinion to make my decision..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 10:26pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Unlike you I am not after a job..lol..I don pass the level of 'job'. I have long established myself as a landlady with multiple with mortgage free properties and as a successful invester in the UK to the point where I can sit back and enjoy my passive income.

My daily activities include advising new immigrants on how to naviagate the system, UK way of life and other philantrophic/charity work.

As I said I am simply here to offer advice to genuine Nigerian immigrants on life in the UK and will continue to call out the those who continue to abuse the system. like it or lump it.

Lamba.... Mrs philanthropist.

You remind me of one chap on NL back then who grew up and lived in Peckham and always turned up to insult folks in Nigeria (especially health workers) on NL. Well, those he insulted have come over to meet him while he is no where to be found.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 10:27pm On Oct 20, 2022
Zahra29:

All the POF scams for example. Applicants using chicanery to show that they have the required funds even though they know that they lack sufficient means to sustain them and their dependents.

are nigerians the only ones abusing the system, what's wrong with you guys and nigerians, British citizens themselves are angels abi, they too don't abuse the very system they benefit from? do you know how british citizens themselves took adavntage of all the covid grants for businesses during the pandemic, oh I see it's very legal for British citizens to fleece their own system but immigrants should not come near abi.

There are criminals everywhere on the surface on the earth and it's down to human behaviour. This idea of painting Nigerians bad while other nationals are painted as saints is so dumb and I advise we all begin to act and speak more wisely in matters like this. No one has the right to dictate to another person how to conduct his or her affairs whether as a immigrant or a citizen. There are laws in every nation that deals with anyone who breaks the law whether citizens or immigrants. Let the Nation and their institutions decide who is right or wrong and let's stop all this manner of self righteousness. No one has made anybody in this forum a judge over people's choices in life. Live and let's live

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:38pm On Oct 20, 2022
Zahra29:

Also, the complaints. No country is perfect. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it can be quite grating hearing [b]migrants complaining about the NHS and other aspects of British life. [/b]The obvious response would be "why don't you go back then, if it's so wonderful where you're from!"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 10:44pm On Oct 20, 2022
justwise:

My posts here is not in support of those who abuse the system, nobody here come down on fraudsters more than i do, my frustration with Gemma11 view is the generalisation, her hardcore nationalistic view, student visa holders contribute upfront more into the system than any other type of immigrants.

The UK govt has the means and ways to limit number of students coming in with their families, you can't throw them under the bus after granting them visas at high cost then when they get in you start shouting immigration number bla bla bla

[color=#006600][/color]
Hi Justwise, I have indeed seen you come down hard on people who attempt to bend the rules, and you also provide a lot of support to genuine people. Kudos for the great work you do.

I don't think Gemma was criticising all immigrants -her argument was mainly that some are now shining a negative light on the psw route because they are "over doing" it and making it bait to the govt that it's being abused by economic migrants masquerading as students. She raised some points which are not popular but are valid - the influx of students and crucially their families- is adding pressure to an already heated housing market and other infrastructure like schools and the NHS. The school fees go to the universities and not to the communities, so it is the councils that have to fund school places, housing etc for new arrivals. The university collects its money and looks away lol

However, I also completely agree with your point that the UK govt should plan better to provide the necessary infrastructure for the migrants it is collecting fees from, or else limit numbers and ask the Universities to find alternative sources of funding or become leaner.

(1) (2) (3) ... (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.