Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,473 members, 7,836,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (678) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1200747 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 10:46pm On Oct 20, 2022
AgentXxx:
cheesy So no be only me Dey feel like this

No worry we plenty. grin People wey no won miss anything.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 10:47pm On Oct 20, 2022
kode12:

Abeg send me the link. Let me expense it

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4657112?clickSR=slp:term:ergonomic%20office%20chair:2:51:1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Divine88: 10:53pm On Oct 20, 2022
I got here at last phew!!! After 5 days playing catch up. Una dey chat abeg. Cheii grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 10:53pm On Oct 20, 2022
[color=#006600][/color]
AlphaUno:

The old saying says “He who pays the piper, dictates the tune”
As a migrant, I should have a say too, you know?
That IHS no be beans to come by.

With all due respect, the IHS is peanuts compared to the actual cost of treatment (if you ever need treatment), especially for anything serious such as childbirth, an operation - some scans even cost more than the ihs. The ihs is heavily subsidised and does not reflect the actual cost to the NHS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IDeyNL: 10:58pm On Oct 20, 2022
jedisco:

Lamba.... Mrs philanthropist.

You remind me of one chap on NL back then who grew up and lived in Peckham and always turned up to insult folks in Nigeria (especially health workers) on NL. Well, those he insulted have come over to meet him while he is no where to be found.

Is it Shymexx
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:00pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

My parents applied for the right visas. They came in and worked in the health and rail industry and bought multiple properties in SE London which now mortgage free and are rented out now on average for £3000pm each. Inspired by my parents I also have acquired my own few freehold properties which I rent out.
They didn't pretend to come in as students to abuse the system...Yeah be like my parents and get the right visa

So you complaining of a housing crisis in the UK is sitting on multiple rental properties while average families are looking to get on the housing ladder. You do realize that your faux patriotism is only just virtue signaling.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:01pm On Oct 20, 2022
Zahra29:
I see where Gemma is coming from in some ways.

The majority of Nigerian immigrants might be hardworking and resourceful, however Nigeria does have a bad reputation for a reason because there is a fair number of people who look for ways to fleece the system, thereby making it a lot harder for genuine people.

All the POF scams for example. Applicants using chicanery to show that they have the required funds even though they know that they lack sufficient means to sustain them and their dependents.

There have been numerous posts where people have to be "convinced" that they do not qualify for 30hrs nursery funding or other grants/benefits as they count as public funds. To British citizens/residents who pay taxes and do not even claim these benefits, it can be very annoying to hear or see immigrants who have not yet contributed to the system (and students who do not pay tax) trying to claim these benefits. It can also make them wonder what benefits these people would go on to claim as soon as they have obtained citizenship. This is what easily stokes resentment in Brits - feeling like they're being taken for a mug

Also, the complaints. No country is perfect. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it can be quite grating hearing migrants complaining about the NHS and other aspects of British life. The obvious response would be "why don't you go back then, if it's so wonderful where you're from!"

As a LEGAL migrant, I should have a say too, you know?

And by the way, as we speak, hundreds are coming in illegally thru the British channel and the high seas.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2022
AlphaUno:

As a LEGAL migrant, I should have a say too, you know?

And by the way, as we speak, hundreds are coming in illegally thru the British channel and the high seas .

those ones don't put a strain on housing o cos they walk and live on water grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

Unlike you I am not after a job..lol..I don pass the level of 'job'. I have long established myself as a landlady with multiple with mortgage free properties and as a successful invester in the UK to the point where I can sit back and enjoy my passive income.

My daily activities include advising new immigrants on how to naviagate the system, UK way of life and other philantrophic/charity work.

As I said I am simply here to offer advice to genuine Nigerian immigrants on life in the UK and will continue to call out the those who continue to abuse the system. like it or lump it.

I don't need the shalaye. Your money (at all if there is any), your troubles.

What I am most concerned about is this continued reiteration of faux concern. If you truly care as you are trying very hard to posture, you would know that students pay for much more than the value they receive and yes they do it because they mostly want a better life and future opportunities for themselves and their children...

So what's wrong with that?

Your parents did the same for you to have enough temerity to question the motives of those doing it today... Since they had to do the same so you can have a better future, why berate and try to gate keep others doing it for themselves and children now?

The real Britons, the government that owns the land in their wisdom created these opportunities, and have most probably simulated these challenges and if they find it overwhelming, would correct it as they deem fit. But for now (officially), they are not complaining. They like the money, understand and accept the risks.

So, what exactly is your problem? Why are you trying so hard to be more catholic than the Pope?

People investing in a Masters in the UK would determine what is enough recompense and if it is citizenship as long as it is within their rights and in conformity with current regulations, they should and are entitled to get it, irrespective of what an ekuke somewhere thinks.

QED.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:06pm On Oct 20, 2022
Frezhkid10:
Hello everyone..I have a question to ask
I just got a job in nestle uk and they offer to pay me £47,000 annually plus tax..
Please considering the standard of living in Uk..can this salary offer make me a middle class earner in uk??..
Am asking because I have another offer here in Nigeria that want to pay me the almost the equivalent of that amount..
I want to use your opinion to make my decision..

Factor in Naija bad road, insecurity, power issues, flood and health care wahala. If you consider it all bearable, then take the Naija job.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 11:09pm On Oct 20, 2022
Chreze:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4657112?clickSR=slp:term:ergonomic%20office%20chair:2:51:1

Thanks. The chair is cheap though, seems a bit dodgy, the price doesn't go with the looks lol grin grin. I'll wait for you to take the leap
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 11:15pm On Oct 20, 2022
Zahra29:
I see where Gemma is coming from in some ways.

The majority of Nigerian immigrants might be hardworking and resourceful, however Nigeria does have a bad reputation for a reason because there is a fair number of people who look for ways to fleece the system, thereby making it a lot harder for genuine people.

All the POF scams for example. Applicants using chicanery to show that they have the required funds even though they know that they lack sufficient means to sustain them and their dependents.

There have been numerous posts where people have to be "convinced" that they do not qualify for 30hrs nursery funding or other grants/benefits as they count as public funds. To British citizens/residents who pay taxes and do not even claim these benefits, it can be very annoying to hear or see immigrants who have not yet contributed to the system (and students who do not pay tax) trying to claim these benefits. It can also make them wonder what benefits these people would go on to claim as soon as they have obtained citizenship. This is what easily stokes resentment in Brits - feeling like they're being taken for a mug

Also, the complaints. No country is perfect. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, it can be quite grating hearing migrants complaining about the NHS and other aspects of British life. The obvious response would be "why don't you go back then, if it's so wonderful where you're from!"

The NHS sucks and that's the truth if we are going to be speaking truths here.

6 weeks or more wait for an appointment is beyond absurd. I read on here the issues regarding chicken pox and how parents went shopping for alternative medicine, all because some persons thought it best that the better approach was to allow the body fight it while the child suffer.

There are a lot that is wrong with this country and that's a fact. The most I see is the passport and the opportunities it affords one.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 11:27pm On Oct 20, 2022
kode12:

Thanks. The chair is cheap though, seems a bit dodgy, the price doesn't go with the looks lol grin grin. I'll wait for you to take the leap

Hahahaha. Na why I gat ask too, cos the price is very affordable. I don order. Atleast someone from here gave good review.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 11:28pm On Oct 20, 2022
Zahra29:
[color=#006600][/color]

With all due respect, the IHS is peanuts compared to the actual cost of treatment (if you ever need treatment), especially for anything serious such as childbirth, an operation - some scans even cost more than the ihs. The ihs is heavily subsidised and does not reflect the actual cost to the NHS

I don’t have the strength this night, honestly.

Can you tell them to make a refund of the ‘peanuts’ then?
I guess you not the UK govt, so, you can’t see what they seeing.

And If you are in tune with what an health insurance is, then you would know, that majority of those immigrants don’t even access or need any treatment for the period paid for.

NHS fee subsidised for British citizen or an immigrant?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 11:30pm On Oct 20, 2022
iboboyswag:

6 weeks or more wait for an appointment is beyond absurd. I read on here the issues regarding chicken pox and how parents went shopping for alternative medicine, all because some persons thought it best that the better approach was to allow the body fight it while the child suffer.

There are a lot that is wrong with this country and that's a fact. The most I see is the passport and the opportunities it affords one.

There is a lot wrong with pretty much every country. There is no utopia on this earth. However there must be a lot right with the UK else I'm sure you would have opted for another country with an equally strong passport?

The NHS has its faults but it still has many advantages. Even in the US where medical bills alone are a common cause of bankruptcy - their medical system is far from perfect.
6 weeks is not the average wait time. Unfortunately however, the NHS is a bit of a postcode lottery at the moment. Where you live determines the wait times and service standard. "Levelling up" and better funding is definitely needed. I believe/hope we will see this happen soon enough in the future

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 11:43pm On Oct 20, 2022
AlphaUno:

I don’t have the strength this night, honestly.

Can you tell them to make a refund of the ‘peanuts’ then?
I guess you not the UK govt, so, you can’t see what they seeing.

And If you are in tune with what an health insurance is, then you would know, that majority of those immigrants don’t even access or need any treatment for the period paid for.

NHS fee subsidised for British citizen or an immigrant?

It is subsidised for the immigrant.

I appreciate your point that not all immigrants use the NHS, in which case the IHS will likely feel like a huge cost. However, should you ever need treatment then the ihs fee is much cheaper than paying out of pocket which can easily run into thousands depending on the procedure

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 12:10am On Oct 21, 2022
wallg123:

How did this story end ?and what is the morals of this story ?. Interesting
Honestly as I read the story en, I even carry touch light dey look for the moral lesson.

The only thing I later manage see na ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:10am On Oct 21, 2022
Goke7:

those ones don't put a strain on housing o cos they walk and live on water grin

You dey mind them?

The gatekeepers trying to sound politically correct. Now I know why the likes of Suella are doing too much - offspring of immigrants herself.

Reminds me of decades back when few Black Americans were opportuned to rise up the wealth ladder. They started feeling n acting like whites looking down on their fellow blacks. Now, after realising the folly of their parents, the children of these wealthy ones and other new entrants into the Upper class are now ‘ buying black’ - making a conscious and deliberate efforts to support black businesses and communities.
Because, if they don’t support their own, no one will.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:12am On Oct 21, 2022
STOP hogging the middle lane, on the motorway......... You risk an endorsement and fine ......... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 12:25am On Oct 21, 2022
Zahra29:

There is a lot wrong with pretty much every country. There is no utopia on this earth. However there must be a lot right with the UK else I'm sure you would have opted for another country with an equally strong passport?

The NHS has its faults but it still has many advantages. Even in the US where medical bills alone are a common cause of bankruptcy - their medical system is far from perfect.
6 weeks is not the average wait time. Unfortunately however, the NHS is a bit of a postcode lottery at the moment. Where you live determines the wait times and service standard. "Levelling up" and better funding is definitely needed. I believe/hope we will see this happen soon enough in the future

I hope so too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 12:38am On Oct 21, 2022
Zahra29:

It is subsidised for the immigrant.

I appreciate your point that not all immigrants use the NHS, in which case the IHS will likely feel like a huge cost. However, should you ever need treatment then the ihs fee is much cheaper than paying out of pocket which can easily run into thousands depending on the procedure

The key word is INSURANCE - spreading the costs of a likely few on many people.
That’s not subsidy.

What’s the % of those who need treatment out of those who paid? Negligible!
So, the few who need will never put a strain on the system.

The meat of my reply is that as a LEGAL immigrant I can air my views on any issue so long i contribute to the system.

I’m sure you are one of those who carried placards for those to be sent to Rwanda.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 12:44am On Oct 21, 2022
O'boy this thread is HOT
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 4:48am On Oct 21, 2022
Gemma11:

The highest is 45% and it is tiered like this.

When you add on the NIC then it’s close to 60%. More or less effective rate of tax ( income tax and national insurance contributions)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 6:07am On Oct 21, 2022
Zahra29:
[color=#006600][/color]

The ihs is not peanuts. That is how insurance works. It should easily cover a chunk of the health needs of those migrating. You forget that they also pay NI (which is actually only what should be paid) and many end up working in critical sectors of the society. IHS is double taxation for anyone paying NI. We rallied against it for NHS staff and good it's come to an end.

Also, talking about 'over doing' it, the ratio of dependents to students visa is barely 1:1. Some may have kids they've left back and perhaps just came with their spouses. People are making enough sacrifices already. How many Brits would make similar sacrifices?

We need to put an end to this. It's not these hardworking migrants that strain the system.

Next they'd start questioning why migrants give birth to more kids. Maybe after giving birth, they should send their kids back. Perhaps, you'd say the number of kids migrants could have should be capped.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 6:21am On Oct 21, 2022
Perhaps, there should be a cap on the number of kids non-uk born folks can have.

Why should the fertility rate of a non-uk born mother be higher than her uk-born counterpart?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/bulletins/parentscountryofbirthenglandandwales/2021

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 6:22am On Oct 21, 2022
IDeyNL:

Is it Shymexx

Can't remember the name again... but he was quite popular then.. bragging about Peckham, talking down on Nigeria and how our healthcare workers would not survive a day in the NHS. In his mind, the UK was for the 'elites' only

I'm sure he's somewhere now chorusing 'migrants are taking our jobs'

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 6:37am On Oct 21, 2022
Frezhkid10:
Hello everyone..I have a question to ask
I just got a job in nestle uk and they offer to pay me £47,000 annually plus tax..
Please considering the standard of living in Uk..can this salary offer make me a middle class earner in uk??..
Am asking because I have another offer here in Nigeria that want to pay me the almost the equivalent of that amount..
I want to use your opinion to make my decision..

Stay in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:43am On Oct 21, 2022
Zahra29:

[color=#006600][/color]
Hi Justwise, I have indeed seen you come down hard on people who attempt to bend the rules, and you also provide a lot of support to genuine people. Kudos for the great work you do.

I don't think Gemma was criticising all immigrants -her argument was mainly that some are now shining a negative light on the psw route because they are "over doing" it and making it bait to the govt that it's being abused by economic migrants masquerading as students. She raised some points which are not popular but are valid - the influx of students and crucially their families- is adding pressure to an already heated housing market and other infrastructure like schools and the NHS. The school fees go to the universities and not to the communities, so it is the councils that have to fund school places, housing etc for new arrivals. The university collects its money and looks away lol

However, I also completely agree with your point that the UK govt should plan better to provide the necessary infrastructure for the migrants it is collecting fees from, or else limit numbers and ask the Universities to find alternative sources of funding or become leaner.

You make that argument for illegal immigrants or Eastern Europeans, Nigerians students applied for visa and was accessed before they are allowed to come in.

Some British citizens took the govt to court because of the policy of sending illegal immigrants to Rwanda, more than 2,000 illegal immigrants cross the English channel in one weekend alone, they pay nothing into the system but they are given houses and food. They are protected but students that paid thousands are hunted.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 6:45am On Oct 21, 2022
phyl123:

When you add on the NIC then it’s close to 60%. More or less effective rate of tax ( income tax and national insurance contributions)

It is actually around 25% to 33% on average.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 6:49am On Oct 21, 2022
kode12:

So you complaining of a housing crisis in the UK is sitting on multiple rental properties while average families are looking to get on the housing ladder. You do realize that your faux patriotism is only just virtue signaling.
None of the people complaining about housing shortage can afford to rent my properties besides I already have reliable tenants with long term tenancies.
I have also offered a lot of advice in this thread and that should be a testament to what I am about so sit. My opinion of those particular students choosing to fleece the system doesn't change. If you are not one of those students then again have a seat and stfu.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 6:58am On Oct 21, 2022
iboboyswag:

Yes there is a lot wrong with the UK which is why I don't understand why you are here. Go an look for where is right for you because at the moment you sound totally ungrateful and entitled.

It is people like you that will book a GP appointment for a basic cold or cough they can easily go and get that sorted with medication from boots and then complain that they had to wait 6 weeks. How long did it take you to see a free Doc in Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 7:01am On Oct 21, 2022
babajeje123:

They should please yank this guy off this site.

Truth hurts

(1) (2) (3) ... (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.