Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,194 members, 7,835,964 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (731) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1199285 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (728) (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 9:08pm On Nov 23, 2022
Well done Elders in house, Please what good phone can one get with 150 to 300£?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 9:15pm On Nov 23, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Just continue , the right opportunity will click and come. When I moved to the UK, I came with US experience and kept hearing we looking for UK experience, but I continued because I have to eat..lol

However after 3 months it was even a US company in the UK that I got the so called
UK experience and worked 6 months and started looking again, my phones won't stop ringing . I was like wow , wasn't this the cv you all were rejecting just 6 months ago. I got like 4 great offers in 2 months , 6 months previous it was one offer after how many applications

The rest they say is history 15 years later .....
Why did u live the US to work in the UK?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 10:14pm On Nov 23, 2022
AgentXxx:

Go on EBay, you should get a Google Pixel 6 close to £300 or a little over

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:29pm On Nov 23, 2022
lightnlife:
Let me share my experience on probation and annual leave/bereavement.

I'm barely 3 months into my first job in this UK. Currently on a six-month probation but I have a pro-rated annual leave just before my company's calender year reset.

Given my Naija experience, I literally saw the probation-phase leave allowance as a bait grin So, I wasn't going to use any as per sharp Nigerian. However, I noticed my british-born colleagues had almost used up the leave even at the induction phase. grin Life sweet.

Long story short, me sef request for some days leave this month just to flex and it was granted despite the short notice. Annual leave requires 6 weeks notice in my company but I requested barely 2 weeks to the date I wanted and it was granted. My manager simply looked at the team's calender, noticed no one else would be on leave for those days, got clearance from his own manager and granted it. It's people over processes and rules.

My partner told me of a colleague who's cat died and the manager gave her one week to mourn.

So, I see no reason why they'd deny some days off to mourn and honour your dead.

With my little experience about the labour market here, bereavement is a huge stuff. They're big on Work-life balance and family. I'd say the employee is the king in this market. It's the other way round back home.

OP just needs to speak to her Manager. I'm almost certain they'll give her a week or more if she requests.

Actually, being on probation shouldn't take out your access to leave. If that's case and they won't give you time off to mourn and honour the dead, then you need to run from that company.

I am a serial job changer....lol. story for another day but what you typed up has been my experience

As long as you have accrued it and there is enough team coverage, its not even a big deal or worth a second thought. No normal manager will be upset

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:31pm On Nov 23, 2022
Icesnow:
Why did u live the US to work in the UK?

There are many Americans working in the UK and vice versa . Its a normal thing ,lol.

Sometime no important reason, I think mine was just desire for change of environment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 10:51pm On Nov 23, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Honestly, I would also be worried. But to be honest, from the gist I’ve seen on this platform, I believe these care homes do not give a hoot. Not sure if OP works for a care home but if that’s the case, it’s to just pray that her employer at least has a heart.

I've heard some care home can be stiffnecked due to staffing shortage.
But then I doubt it'd be an issue there too. Care homes jobs are close to minimum wage and because of the shortage, they literally bend over to retain staff. Some malls even pay higher wage than care jobs
Some agencies do provide taxi transport to and fro for newly arrived care staff.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 10:53pm On Nov 23, 2022
Amarathripple0:

To be honest, we really need to unlearn a lot of this Naija mindset. That’s why a lot of people get bullied because they do not understand the rights that they have. You are a foreigner no mean say you be slave. Funny enough, I had an amazing employer back in Nigeria with a really good company culture, my line manager and HR were the absolute best, small headache, they’ll be begging you to go home and rest, small sadness, they’ll ask you to take time off work Lol. I cannot now move to the UK and then expect or accept less all in the name of ILR. Human not Robot.

Seems like this is the main issue. It's not like her employer has refused rather she is scared to even tell them.

Know folks who almost got into issues cos they came to work when they were ill.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:20pm On Nov 23, 2022
Good evening all

Can someone please recommend a mobile heater I can use this winter

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 11:40pm On Nov 23, 2022
LagosismyHome:

I am a serial job changer....lol. story for another day but what you typed up has been my experience

As long as you have accrued it and there is enough team coverage, its not even a big deal or worth a second thought. No normal manager will be upset

I have collected all my annual leave, study leave etc in my office.... grin grin

Waiting for next year to start arranging all the leaves. British people in my office have collected theirs....... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 12:51am On Nov 24, 2022
No tenancy agreement was signed in writing. He sent a draft to us by email, we reviewed and replied him that we are ok with the terms, hence he should proceed to print the agreement for both parties to sign off. But he neither replied nor talked to us since then. He totally ignored us.

Yes, the draft agreement he sent stated that the landlord would register our deposit under a protection scheme.

Thanks

koonbey:

Did you have a tenancy agreement in writing and signed?

Did that agreement state that the landlord would use a deposit protection scheme?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 12:52am On Nov 24, 2022
Thank you for the feedback.

Viruses:

Type in Google - my landlord did not protect my rent deposit. You should be able to claim x3 times of the deposit back. You are supposed to have a rental agreement but just give it a try.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 12:55am On Nov 24, 2022
Na Britico, a young guy under 30 managing his father's property.

AlphaUno:

What nationality is your LL , e get why?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 12:59am On Nov 24, 2022
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I had reached out to the 3 custodial deposit schemes and they all confirmed to me by email that my deposit was not protected.

Also, the answer to 1, 2 & 3 below are no.

I will take it up from here.

Kind regards,

Ticha:

Majority of the information you need is in my response that you quoted. Did you check that the deposit wasn't protected? You can call up any of the 3 custodial deposit schemes and they'll tell you yes or no. It's better to get all your ducks in a row first.

You should have:
1. A rental contract
2. Right to rent documents (EICR certificate, gas safety check certificate, carbon monoxide alarm fitted and evidence)
3. Documents telling you where your deposit has been protected.

If no for any of the 3, you need to start county court proceedings. It costs 300 quid ish but you can ask that the landlord pay your costs. Claim all your rent back, plus your deposit x 3 and your costs.

https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/if-your-landlord-doesnt-protect-your-deposit
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 5:24am On Nov 24, 2022
@justwise, @lexusgs460 and @amarathripple thank you so much guys.

Concerning my phone dilemma last month, I later settled for s22 ultra, sorry I didn’t update you guys since. Been busy with my courses and daily hustle.

I was able to get dual sim version / 256gb for about 350 pounds ish lesser than the normal official store price
, considering Samsung and other mine stores sell for 1250 and that’s single sim version.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ekehwinz: 5:35am On Nov 24, 2022
jedisco:

I've heard some care home can be stiffnecked due to staffing shortage.
But then I doubt it'd be an issue there too. Care homes jobs are close to minimum wage and because of the shortage, they literally bend over to retain staff. Some malls even pay higher wage than care jobs
Some agencies do provide taxi transport to and fro for newly arrived care staff.

Jedisco good morning

Please can I get a care job in the UK as a foreign social worker?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 6:23am On Nov 24, 2022
OmichaelO:
thank you so much guys.

Concerning my phone dilemma last month, I later settled for s22 ultra, sorry I didn’t update you guys since. Been busy with my courses and daily hustle.

I was able to get dual sim version / 256gb for about 350 pounds ish, considering Samsung and other mine stores sell for 1250 and that’s single sim version.

New or fairly used?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jedisco(m): 6:35am On Nov 24, 2022
Ekehwinz:

Jedisco good morning

Please can I get a care job in the UK as a foreign social worker?

Morning.
Basic rules apply. Any organisation looking to employ would have to sponsor your visa as you're not in the UK and also pay above a certain treshold.

There are serious staff shortages moreso following Brexit as most of the Eastern European workforce that formed the backbone of care homes isn’tcoming thru as much. Also, care jobs don't pay as well hence care homes do go the extra mile to recruit/retain staff. Folks can earn more stacking shelves in Tesco than doing some care jobs.

That said, I don't work in the care industry. If you're keen, worth speaking to someone who does
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 6:50am On Nov 24, 2022
AgentXxx:

Brand new pixel 6a is £299 Black Friday deal

https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_6a?hl=en-GB&pli=1

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ekehwinz: 7:17am On Nov 24, 2022
jedisco:

Morning.
Basic rules apply. Any organisation looking to employ would have to sponsor your visa as you're not in the UK and also pay above a certain treshold.

There are serious staff shortages moreso following Brexit as most of the Eastern European workforce that formed the backbone of care homes isn’tcoming thru as much. Also, care jobs don't pay as well hence care homes do go the extra mile to recruit/retain staff. Folks can earn more stacking shelves in Tesco than doing some care jobs.

That said, I don't work in the care industry. If you're keen, worth speaking to someone who does

I appreciate your response and would love to get your help in getting a response from someone in the care industry for me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:23am On Nov 24, 2022
OmichaelO:
@justwise, @lexusgs460 and @amarathripple thank you so much guys.

I was able to get dual sim version / 256gb for about 350 pounds ish, considering Samsung and other mine stores sell for 1250 and that’s single sim version.

Samsung S22 Ultra 256GB for £350?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 7:55am On Nov 24, 2022
DadR:
Na Britico, a young guy under 30 managing his father's property.

Ah! That’s unheard of.
Youth exuberance is worrying him and he knows he has gone against the law.

Take him up on it legally and let’s see what happens

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DadR: 8:31am On Nov 24, 2022
Will surely takehim up.

Thanks

AlphaUno:

Ah! That’s unheard of.
Youth exuberance is worrying him and he knows he has gone against the law.

Take him up on it legally and let’s see what happens
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:34am On Nov 24, 2022
CowbellY:

Quick question here. Do you get the 25% every year or for the first year only.

Every year... Once only for each new inflow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 24, 2022
Solumtoya:

Every year... [b]Once [/b]only for each new inflow

Not necessarily once. The 4k can be paid piecemeal and 25 percent of whatever has been paid in any given month (within the April 6 - April 5 tax year) will be added by the following month.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:00am On Nov 24, 2022
jedisco:

Seems like this is the main issue. It's not like her employer has refused rather she is scared to even tell them.

Yup! Exactly
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:08am On Nov 24, 2022
jedisco:

cheesy My friend told me how when she took a sick day and then called to apologise about her work that was pending, her manager called her for a meeting when she was back and was very sternly telling her off for it, and asking why she would be apologising for falling sick.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 10:51am On Nov 24, 2022
justwise:

Samsung S22 Ultra 256GB for £350?
hahaha, sorry it was a typo.

I meant to type I got it 350 pounds lesser.

It was 900

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 10:52am On Nov 24, 2022
jedisco:

New or fairly used?
New boss. Sorry there was a typo.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:01pm On Nov 24, 2022
hustla:
Good evening all

Can someone please recommend a mobile heater I can use this winter

Thanks!

Please o!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:03pm On Nov 24, 2022
rayralph:

shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:06pm On Nov 24, 2022
rayralph:

Total after trade-in
£86.00

hmmm , Lexus abeg se this thing make am? Seems they sorted the FP issues with Pixel 6a

GSMArena lists almost the same thing in a comparison check

(1) (2) (3) ... (728) (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.