Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,271 members, 7,839,362 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (733) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1203569 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:11am On Nov 25, 2022
mimilyrics:
Really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
I changed jobs 3ce last year within the NHS with the 1st job starting in January and the 4th one in December - the 1st 3 were with the same Trust and department at 3 different bands while the 4th was with a different one at 1 band lower. Got 2 other offers and about 9 interview invites within the same week that I got the offer from the new Trust.

Which role una dey see plenty jobs like this

shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 25, 2022
mimilyrics:

Once you know what you want, map out a plan for it. My manager knew all about my moves and was quite supportive but not all managers will be like that so you need to weigh your options on keeping or not keeping your manager in the loop.
You don't need an excuse to leave a job but ensure that you don't burn your bridges as you might need to drive over them again. I'd also say that you need to weigh your options vis-a-vis work visa sponsorship. If you go for a work-visa sponsorship, you might not be able to change jobs as many times as you want except you go for a scale-up visa.

Great advice overall, and I love this bit the most. Many people make that mistake and it often comes back to bite when they least expect it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:37am On Nov 25, 2022
Admin/Management/project support.
hustla:

Which role una dey see plenty jobs like this

shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:59am On Nov 25, 2022
mimilyrics:
Admin/Management//project support

Alright
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 12:07pm On Nov 25, 2022
hustla:

Illegal immigrants probably made it that high

They should Sha wait small, lemme run my dependent stuff

Still think they'll remove post study for some courses or reduce number of dependents

These are figures for legal migration only. It doesn't include irregular migrants (this is usually a finger in the air estimate) or the channel boat crossings (which is estimated for be around 35,000 this year)

Of the legal migration, the highest numbers are student visas, followed by refugees from Ukraine, Syria and Afghanistan, and HK British overseas passport holders.

The govt can't do much to change the numbers from the likes of Ukraine or Hong Kong, for obvious reasons. So they have indicated that the focus will be on tightening the student visa route and some work visa categories to try to get the migration figures down
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2022
Zahra29:

These are figures for legal migration only. It doesn't include irregular migrants (this is usually a finger in the air estimate) or the channel boat crossings (which is estimated for be around 35,000 this year)

Of the legal migration, the highest numbers are student visas, followed by refugees from Ukraine, Syria and Afghanistan, and HK British overseas passport holders.

The govt can't do much to change the numbers from the likes of Ukraine or Hong Kong, for obvious reasons. So they have indicated that the focus will be on tightening the student visa route and some work visa categories to try to get the migration figures down

Thanks for clarifying

Any possible estimate on when that will be? I know new rules are coming and it's only a matter of when
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 1:04pm On Nov 25, 2022
jedisco:

Hehe... I for don say...

Have you come across techinthebasket?

Used them before and their prices are difficult to beat. They get their products abroad so there might be regional differences and also less warranty coverage. Not that you'd likely need the warranty.
I'll check them out. Thank you boss.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 1:13pm On Nov 25, 2022
babajeje123:
Can those working in NHS kindly give us hints on what to do differently to be invited for interview at least? With experience and qualification, na so so we don move on mail pesin dey get and it's really tiring.

What kind of job is it, what skill set do you have
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2022
hustla:

Thanks for clarifying

Any possible estimate on when that will be? I know new rules are coming and it's only a matter of when

It's hard to say tbh. I would have thought that the govt would want to move quickly cos they know that if the figures remain this high, or get even higher this time next year, that would mean political extinction for the Tories (such as Labour has suffered after the public blamed Blair for open door immigration).

I would say to carry on with your plans but stay extra vigilant. In the days of T May, the home office changed policies and rules routinely and without major announcements as most changes did not require a new immigration bill. So they are able to move fast once the will is there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Spanishmario(m): 2:24pm On Nov 25, 2022
Who can help with iptv hack biko
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 2:37pm On Nov 25, 2022
Lexusgs430...

Lemme run and hide grin grin

Spanishmario:
Who can help with iptv hack biko
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 2:45pm On Nov 25, 2022
mimilyrics:
Ensure that your supporting information covers the person specification and that you're able to sell yourself effectively. Also, previous experience with the NHS (as a volunteer or bank worker) helps - this is not always the case though. In some cases, if you can show that you have transferable skills helps to get you an interview spot. Also, contacting the number/email address on the job advert to ask questions and learn more about the job helps to learn more about how you fit into the role.
Not getting shortlisted doesn't always mean that your application is wack, there just might be other applicants with previous NHS experience that they would rather go with.

NHS shortlisting is blind; your name and demographic details are not shown to the people shortlisting. The only things visible at the shortlisting stage are your supporting information, education/training history, skills, job history
Keep applying and don't give up, you'll eventually get your foot in the door.
I can help look over your supporting information and you can always tweak it to fit different roles since most of the JDs are usually similar/generic.
Thank you for this, I'll send you a dm shortly.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 2:47pm On Nov 25, 2022
Kaycee54321:
Hello all.

My kid sis is looking at an offer of 29K for a job in Leeds. It'll be her first time leaving the country. Please, is that livable income in that area of the country?

I know even God cannot change her mind about leaving Naija but I just need to know if she's going to continue to need occasional financial help...

She was on 120K in Naija.

£29k is good for Leeds. That is around £1700 (N990k or even higher depending on the exhange rate) per month. She should be able to save at least £500 a month after rent, bills and other expenses.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:50pm On Nov 25, 2022
Zahra29:

It's hard to say tbh. I would have thought that the govt would want to move quickly cos they know that if the figures remain this high, or get even higher this time next year, that would mean political extinction for the Tories (such as Labour has suffered after the public blamed Blair for open door immigration).

I would say to carry on with your plans but stay extra vigilant. In the days of T May, the home office changed policies and rules routinely and without major announcements as most changes did not require a new immigration bill. So they are able to move fast once the will is there.

Thanks

I'll continue to look at them with side eye. I know they will do what's in their best interest though smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:51pm On Nov 25, 2022
Gemma11:

£29k is good for Leeds. That is around £1700 (N990k or even higher depending on the exhange rate) per month. She should be able to save at least £500 a month after rent, bills and other expenses.

LOL can't be converting GBP to Naira when she won't spend in naira

She'll be fine in Leeds though

grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 2:57pm On Nov 25, 2022
Take home will be slightly more (around £1900).
I agree she should be able to save above £500 per month.

Gemma11:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 2:59pm On Nov 25, 2022
hustla:

LOL can't be converting GBP to Naira when she won't spend in naira

She'll be fine in Leeds though

grin

Comparing it to what she is getting in Nigeria. The brother said she is on 120k a month so assuming she manages to save half of that in Nigeria..she can save more than double that in the UK after all bills and expenses on £29k
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 3:06pm On Nov 25, 2022
dupyshoo:
Take home will be slightly more (around £1900).
I agree she should be able to save above £500 per month.

You are correct. My Salary calculator is mistakenly set to 4 week payments not monthly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kaycee54321(m): 3:15pm On Nov 25, 2022
Gemma11:

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:41pm On Nov 25, 2022
Gemma11:

Comparing it to what she is getting in Nigeria. The brother said she is on 120k a month so assuming she manages to save half of that in Nigeria..she can save more than double that in the UK after all bills and expenses on £29k

True
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SPDAZZY(f): 4:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
Gemma11:

You are correct. My Salary calculator is mistakenly set to 4 week payments not monthly.

Please how does one access this salary calculator
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2022
mimilyrics:
Really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
I changed jobs 3ce last year within the NHS with the 1st job starting in January and the 4th one in December - the 1st 3 were with the same Trust and department at 3 different bands while the 4th was with a different one at 1 band lower. Got 2 other offers and about 9 interview invites within the same week that I got the offer from the new Trust.

My manager at the new Trust told me that she didn't see me in the role after the 1st year because she felt that with my skills, I'd either be aiming higher or getting headhunted for other roles. By March this year (3 months at the new Trust), I had an unconditional offer 2 bands up from my previous Trust. At the same time, I also had another offer from my current Trust but in a different department. My current manager and I have discussed my prospects for other roles and I'm currently exploring training and 7.5-14-hour secondment opportunities in different departments with my manager's approval.

Once you know what you want, map out a plan for it. My manager knew all about my moves and was quite supportive but not all managers will be like that so you need to weigh your options on keeping or not keeping your manager in the loop.
You don't need an excuse to leave a job but ensure that you don't burn your bridges as you might need to drive over them again. I'd also say that you need to weigh your options vis-a-vis work visa sponsorship. If you go for a work-visa sponsorship, you might not be able to change jobs as many times as you want except you go for a scale-up visa.

Make una show us way ooo... despite many recruiters reaching out, the moment I mention sponsorship, na so that trail go cold. I don tire embarassed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 5:01pm On Nov 25, 2022
Good afternoon family. Please what are the tricks to get a free and closer biometrics appointment dates for application from inside UK. I don pay for priority and them still dey ask me to come pay to get appointment and the date I'm getting for free appointment is very far for my liking.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 5:17pm On Nov 25, 2022
https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

SPDAZZY:

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 5:19pm On Nov 25, 2022
adedapodvirus001:
Good afternoon family. Please what are the tricks to get a free and closer biometrics appointment dates for application from inside UK. I don pay for priority and them still dey ask me to come pay to get appointment and the date I'm getting for free appointment is very far for my liking.

Look for another location with closer date..might be another city and you might have to travel. unfortunately the priority only starts to kickin after you have captured
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SPDAZZY(f): 5:41pm On Nov 25, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 6:44pm On Nov 25, 2022
Thanks for this, I have gone ahead to purchase it , seems really cool for the price .
bigtt76:
Check here https://www.mi.com/uk/product/redmi-10-2022/

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 6:48pm On Nov 25, 2022
I did a comparison with the redmi 10 2022 shared by one of our people on here and that won my heart over the Samsung A13 even they seems to be close competitors, I would your kind review of both too . Thanks
Solumtoya:

Brand new? Get yourself a Samsung Galaxy A13. The 4G version is £130. Great specs for such an affordable price
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 6:49pm On Nov 25, 2022
SPDAZZY:

I use an Iphone app

But you can access this one here.

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 7:05pm On Nov 25, 2022
adedapodvirus001:
no trick. Free appointment is from 28 days and further.. log in every day to peep if someone with a free slot has cancelled.. that’s the only way to get one closer
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 7:25pm On Nov 25, 2022
jadepinkett:

Make una show us way ooo... despite many recruiters reaching out, the moment I mention sponsorship, na so that trail go cold. I don tire embarassed

Stop mentioning sponsorship oh. You are disqualifying yourself by yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:20pm On Nov 25, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Stop mentioning sponsorship oh. You are disqualifying yourself by yourself.

How? Someone on student visa has few few options though

I doubt it would make sense to finish the interview process and then get rejected at the end when it comes up

(1) (2) (3) ... (730) (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.