Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,459 members, 7,836,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (857) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1200687 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 4:50am On Feb 20, 2023
bigtt76:
Which of the PM? Project Manager or Product Management?

Project o.
Because if i am not mistaken, program is much wider than project, so as a starter, she will start with project
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:31am On Feb 20, 2023
Yes you are right Program Management is wider though some organization use both when referring to project management roles.

eniola1010:

Project o.
Because if i am not mistaken, program is much wider than project, so as a starter, she will start with project
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by peterbam(m): 8:28am On Feb 20, 2023
Good one.
Thankyou.

bigtt76:
Rebook same room on Airbnb at least a week before you run out of your current booking and call the owner. That's what I did. Airbnb discounts you if stay in for long too.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 9:22am On Feb 20, 2023
pheranmie:
Hello my Oga’s
I want to do car exportation biz from
Uk. Please anyone with agent links and reliable information on this. Also I check copart the prices of cars there are bit crazy (cheap) please is anyone here that has bought from that website cause some prices are just too to be true though it’s a biding thing it’s who wins the bid. Please anyone with vital information on this website should help
some have stylishly told you to abort mission. I am directly telling you to abort mission. If you still wanna continue, the warnings here will be a point of reference at least.. lol😎

You wanna bring a car from the UK to use, is very very very different from you want to bring a car from the UK to sell as far as the 9ja auto sales market is concerned (been selling cars for 4+ years)...I no go talk pass this one.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:22am On Feb 20, 2023
Treadway:
some have stylishly told you to abort mission. I am directly telling you to abort mission. If you still wanna continue, the warnings here will be a point of reference at least.. lol😎

You wanna bring a car from the UK to use, is very very very different from you want to bring a car from the UK to sell as far as the 9ja auto sales market is concerned (been selling cars for 4+ years)...I no go talk pass this one.

What of from countries like Germany (if im not mistaken) with left hand drive?

Viable?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:25am On Feb 20, 2023
eniola1010:

Omo when I check salary of customer service no difference with salary of care. Care earn pass customer service self.

I will just tell the person to do intensive pm courses and try to do pm intern here in uk. Cus pm salary still makes sense even more than data analyst

I would rather take customer care at Lloyds bank, Monzo or Revolut than care (Sometimes I wonder what the obsession of Nigerians with care jobs is)

From there, I can upskill and pivot into a better role like their IT Team or AML (after taking the cert) which pays significantly better than whatever care has to offer in this life or next

Sometimes, you gotta look at the big picture and not live in the moment

My 2Cents smiley

18 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 10:33am On Feb 20, 2023
hustla:

What of from countries like Germany (if im not mistaken) with left hand drive?

Viable?
not so much. Two constraints will come up: long delivery/arrival times of the vehicle(s) as those aren't really busy routes for auto shipping to Nigeria..and then cost, the landing costs altogether will be higher for a car coming from Germany than the US or Canada. Both put you at a disadvantage in the market.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:10am On Feb 20, 2023
Treadway:
not so much. Two constraints will come up: long delivery/arrival times of the vehicle(s) as those aren't really busy routes for auto shipping to Nigeria..and then cost, the landing costs altogether will be higher for a car coming from Germany than the US or Canada. Both put you at a disadvantage in the market.

Best to look at Canada / US jejeli to avoid stories that touch the heart and soul

Thanks! grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 11:50am On Feb 20, 2023
hustla:

I would rather take customer care at Lloyds bank, Monzo or Revolut than care (Sometimes I wonder what the obsession of Nigerians with care jobs is)

From there, I can upskill and pivot into a better role like their IT Team or AML (after taking the cert) which pays significantly better than whatever care has to offer in this life or next

My 2Cents smiley

Lol but i no talk say the person wan do care na. Infact it is care and support i said the person is not interested in.

I just use am as analysis but i get ur point to the core.

Also, to chip in, don't forget that in care u can climb the ladder too from care, to senior carer, to admin, to hr, to even director in same care agency depending on how big the agency is.

Anywhere u r, u can climb. We have seen cleaners/janitors who becamse directors in same company.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2023
eniola1010:
Please what job do u think a lady with a mba from nigeria can do in uk if such lady does not want to do support or care?

She has experience as a secetary in her dads company in nigeria.

Is it possible for such person to be employed as secetary, receptionist, Personal assistant or any clerical role in uk without any uk experience?

Or which work such person fit do if no be support or care? Asking for someone pls

It's not a must to do support or care. At all.

With her admin skills and experience and an MBA, she definitely can find an admin job, something like receptionist, secretary etc. The NHS, for one, is always recruiting admin people, though band 3 might be the realistic starting point, and that only because she doesn't have UK experience.

There's also customer service which someone has given detailed info about here.

Once she has a reasonable amount of UK experience under her belt and can evidence her skills appropriately, she should be able to get better jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 12:14pm On Feb 20, 2023
hustla:

My 2Cents smiley
And who tells you the care person won’t upskill to become better?
Same objective different route except for lazy ones that cant upskill.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 12:52pm On Feb 20, 2023
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a washing machine that dries as well, i currently use Indesit but I'm not enjoying it that much. I see bits of threads on hoodies and other fleece wears when washed in it.

Now I need machine that washes and dries, and gentle on fabrics.

NB; I know someone might say it's the setting of my old machine, but I know I've tried several settings but no help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Feb 20, 2023
Wakabouter:
[b]I

This is becoming spam.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 1:19pm On Feb 20, 2023
I use Bush and it's great.
tushqueen:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a washing machine that dries as well, i currently use Indesit but I'm not enjoying it that much. I see bits of threads on hoodies and other fleece wears when washed in it.

NB; I know someone might say it's the setting of my old machine, but I know I've tried several settings but no help.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by napoleonbaba(m): 2:25pm On Feb 20, 2023
Co-operative Bank is currently offering £125(plus £25 from me) for switching a bank account to them. It's a very handy £150 as the bank switch doesn't require any direct debit switch or deposit. It takes about 20 minutes to complete this offer. It's very easy and doesn't cost you a penny.
You need a Current Account with a CASS bank(Llodys, Barclays, HSBC, Monzo etc) and card details to switch. you also need to fill out a referral form to claim the offer. Send me a dm for the switch information and more offers

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:27pm On Feb 20, 2023
seunoj:

And who tells you the care person won’t upskill to become better?
Same objective different route except for lazy ones that cant upskill.

LOL Explain to me how you'll seamlessly go from doing Care for 2 years to AML at Monzo

You really think they won't consider an internal fella with the same skills over you who has been doing care for 2 years?

Just dey play, you hear me. Dey playyyy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:30pm On Feb 20, 2023
eniola1010:

Lol but i no talk say the person wan do care na. Infact it is care and support i said the person is not interested in.

I just use am as analysis but i get ur point to the core.

Also, to chip in, don't forget that in care u can climb the ladder too from care, to senior carer, to admin, to hr, to even director in same care agency depending on how big the agency is.

Anywhere u r, u can climb. We have seen cleaners/janitors who becamse directors in same company.

The reservations I have with care are

1. If you aren't a nurse or carer from Nigeria, I see no reason why you should do it for too long in the UK

2. Those I have seen in care often refuse to aim higher or upskill, almost like people settle as soon as they start to make some care money. They forget there is a whole world out there waiting to be explored

Imagine graduating with MSc Cybersecurity and being so into care that you forget to skill up or acquire relevant certs. Seen it firsthand so I know

3. Most don't even research to know about NVQ certs and co so they never leave the carer position to progress to managerial roles like you have said.

Like the OGs used to talk on the old thread, the people you mingle with and interact with in the UK will determine a lot about your UK journey. If you mingle with those who see care work as the pinnacle of their careers, you'll likely have the same mindset.

I mingle with people who are BAs, PMs and Devops engineers so you see how my outlook is

Anyways, all mallam with in kettle

smiley

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 3:16pm On Feb 20, 2023
tushqueen:
Hi,

The make of the machine is not really why there is thread. It is the cloth material. Even the best machine will leave wool and thread on hoodies and sweartshirt.

U r advices to always wash inside out, because the dryer is hard and it will be pulling the wool. And when u wash other clothes with hoodie, when it is time to dry the hoodie will be attracting those cloth particule. I am also in the same shoe.

So hence, wash inside out or if u can wash hoodie with hand, and to sort the mess that has already been done, use razor or shaving stick to peel the threads and use cellotape to remove the wool (waxing style)

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by pheranmie(m): 4:34pm On Feb 20, 2023
Treadway:

I understand your point and I know how the situation of car clearing and shipping as gone so high but I have been in this biz too for like 3years too and I know what I am saying.II have bought right handed vehicles and convert them…Corolla verso,Mazda 323 , LR3,golf even bmw And everything went perfect .The main reason why I was considering shipping and buying from here was the price which was significantly different from
What I saw on Facebook marketplace. Example bidding for a car at 500 though with minor dent and that sells at Facebook marketplace for 2000. So if I didn’t see this cheap option I wouldn’t be talking about all this as I know how much shipping is let alone clearing. I am just trying to confirm if the copart website is a genuine site and is it where I can buy from and won’t be throwing money away.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 4:50pm On Feb 20, 2023
hustla:

LOL Explain to me how you'll seamlessly go from doing Care for 2 years to AML at Monzo

You really think they won't consider an internal fella with the same skills over you who has been doing care for 2 years?

Just dey play, you hear me. Dey playyyy grin
Read again. This time slowly.
Different routes, different skills, different endpoint.
May our blessing locate us wherever we may be.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 5:43pm On Feb 20, 2023
CheesyTee:
I use Bush and it's great.

Thanks do you have the model number please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 5:50pm On Feb 20, 2023
eniola1010:

The make of the machine is not really why there is thread. It is the cloth material. Even the best machine will leave wool and thread on hoodies and sweartshirt.

U r advices to always wash inside out, because the dryer is hard and it will be pulling the wool. And when u wash other clothes with hoodie, when it is time to dry the hoodie will be attracting those cloth particule. I am also in the same shoe.

So hence, wash inside out or if u can wash hoodie with hand, and to sort the mess that has already been done, use razor or shaving stick to peel the threads and use cellotape to remove the wool (waxing style)

I already wash clothes inside out though, didn't notice much difference. Basically, I need a means to wash without spoiling some of my expensive jackets, also I really want to be able to do my laundry without worrying about spreading them indoor (moulds and it's wahala)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WCUB3(m): 8:46pm On Feb 20, 2023
Good evening seniors in the house.

Please is it possible for a student to get Laptop on contract purchase? If yes what are the requirements?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 20, 2023
WCUB3:
Good evening seniors in the house.

Please is it possible for a student to get Laptop on contract purchase? If yes what are the requirements?
Budget laptops or high end ones?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WCUB3(m): 9:26pm On Feb 20, 2023
onecoder:

Budget laptops or high end ones?

Hmmnnn both cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 9:51pm On Feb 20, 2023
tushqueen:
I already wash clothes inside out though, didn't notice much difference. Basically, I need a means to wash without spoiling some of my expensive jackets, also I really want to be able to do my laundry without worrying about spreading them indoor (moulds and it's wahala)
use the hand wash or wool setting.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Shorty2022: 10:06pm On Feb 20, 2023
Hello
Please is there any mom looking to exchange childcare based in southeast London or close to Camden.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hkana: 10:18pm On Feb 20, 2023
hustla:

You really thought you said something

You go dey alright

undecided

You actually missed the guy's point.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:31pm On Feb 20, 2023
bigtt76:
Which of the PM? Project Manager or Product Management?
eniola1010:
Project o.
We have PM*4
- project mgr
- program mgr
- portfolio mgr
- product mgr: could come from technical/technology side or consulting or BA
A customer service officer can grow to become product mgr but it's not cast in stone. A person in project related role can likewise transform to product. Product mgt varies from vertical industry to industry.
For noting:
Product mgt might focused on product lifecycle and product roadmap
Yet, product mgt can identifies the customer need and the larger business objectives to shape products or solutions

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.