Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (959) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179403 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (956) (957) (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:36am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

Brandy. Give me Brandy. grin

I sabi say una like to shayo....... 😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 8:45am On Apr 27, 2023
Woah...bit rude there, dont you think?

It's OK not to like the UK,its a bit rubbish at the minute.

They say 1st gen immigrants are more patriotic than anyone else but let me just say this...

If you ever start to think of yourself as an Englishman, remember Shamima Begum and remember the British Citizens who have been abandoned in the Sudan when they flew embassy staff out last week. When asked, they said the peopleleft behind will have local help.

What sort of country abandons its citizens?
profemebee:
beautiful response

he knew the rules before coming .. he can go back to Nigeria

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:46am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

That's because I haven't found a suitable opportunity and Buhari did not help. I am optimistic that the incoming government will accelerate development. Now is the time for diasporians to take position back home before it's too late. Moving here was a mistake for me in the first place.
I will be here to share my success story.

What happens to optimism, when you are attempting to build something on nothing......

If Nigeria was going through this turmoil, but making slow and steady positive advances........ I would be packing up, heading to MMA........

Unfortunately, we're regressing at the speed of a missile, heading towards a sleeping/snoring giant .....

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 8:50am On Apr 27, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I sabi say una like to shayo....... 😜
Lol, you always leave an escape route in your comments so that when you are are conrnered you use the escape door. I don't drink so give me the real life, full blooded, succulent, chocolatey Brandy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ifemitehi: 9:06am On Apr 27, 2023
I will appreciate if anyone living in Wisbech, Kings Lynn or nearby cities can DM, I have some very important questions to ask. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:10am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

That's because I haven't found a suitable opportunity and Buhari did not help. I am optimistic that the incoming government will accelerate development. Now is the time for diasporians to take position back home before it's too late. Moving here was a mistake for me in the first place.
I will be here to share my success story.

You moved here by mistake more than 10yrs ago and you did not move back immediately you realised your mistake? You settled, probably bought a house and start a family? I mean common on now..l

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:16am On Apr 27, 2023
missjekyll:

They say 1st gen immigrants are more patriotic than anyone else but let me just say this...

If you ever start to think of yourself as an Englishman, remember Shamima Begum and remember the British Citizens who have been abandoned in the Sudan when they flew embassy staff out last week. When asked, they said the peopleleft behind will have local help.

You mean the terrorist?

Did Nigerian govt evacuate Nigerians in Sudan before Air peace steps in? British govt was slow in moving out British citizens there but many are out already and more will follow.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:19am On Apr 27, 2023
Cybersecurity should be your best bet and Project management next

eniola1010:

I never get experience yet.
Plan is to work in any of the field for 2 years under post graduate visa. Then find spons after two years since by then i'd have had experience.

But i need to know the niche that will be hot by then. It should not be limited to the three listed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 9:19am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:

You moved here by mistake more than 10yrs ago and you did not move back immediately you realised your mistake? You settled, probably bought a house and start a family? I mean common on now..l
I did not because it has become difficult to slot back in to some where similar to where I left. Are you clear now?

You need to understand that not everyone that moved was jobless or "suffering" back home. I moved because I wanted a different experience with the hope of applying that back home. Over the years, I have come to realise that it is not that different from back home and in fact in some cases, the guys back home are more experienced.
But as I said, I will give you and update when it eventually happens, just wish me well and pray it happens fast. Thank you and have a lovely day.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 9:23am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

You will say the same about Canada when you finally get there then US becomes your new heaven.

💯
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:24am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

I did not because it has become difficult to slot back in to some where similar to where I left. Are you clear now?

You need to understand that not everyone that moved was jobless or "suffering" back home. I moved because I wanted a different experience with the hope of applying that back home. Over the years, I have come to realise that it is not that different from back home and in fact in some cases, the guys back home are more experienced.
But as I said, I will give you and update when it eventually happens, just wish me well and pray it happens fast. Thank you and have a lovely day.

No i'm not, please explain in what sense? You mean in your job specifically or the UK as a country?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 9:31am On Apr 27, 2023
Strata1716:

Not to be offensive but I don’t really understand why people pick Canada over the uk, Canada weather is shit, the time difference to family and friends back home is crazy, the tax rate for earnings is not crazy different from the uk, still the same long wait time for medical procedures, exchange rate to the pounds is very poor and traveling from Canada to other countries for vacation is more expensive and stressful.

Asides fast track to citizenship I don’t see why Nigerians want to move from uk to Canada, I can understand US but Canada confuses me.

Even the US has many downsides compared to the UK (and vice versa). Sometimes it's just the dream - some have never been to Canada or the US but rate them higher than the UK based on what they've heard or seen on TV.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 9:33am On Apr 27, 2023
Apologies if it sounded rude..

My point was he knew the rules before going to the UK.. e.g. no recourse to public funds, etc... I'm also adhering to the rules.. i just have to..

This isn't something that just started .... even citizens can't access a lot of benefits..

i'm Nigerian.. not an English man, but doesn't stop me from speaking the truth.

You don't intentionally go into a fire and then complain about the heat..

Apologies once again if it sounded rude

missjekyll:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 9:36am On Apr 27, 2023
Maybe or Maybe Not..
There’s nothing wrong in feeling some type of way about a country, most especially a country you have lived in for up to 2 years.

justwise:
[/b]

You will say the same about Canada when you finally get there then US becomes your new heaven.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:37am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

Lol, you always leave an escape route in your comments so that when you are are conrnered you use the escape door. I don't drink so give me the real life, full blooded, succulent, chocolatey Brandy.

The disciples also did not drink....... But after drinking that water that was turned to wine .......... They started speaking in different tongues.........😛🤣😭
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 9:38am On Apr 27, 2023
Yeah that’s the beauty of a faceless forum, no one can come and beat me in my house, not unless you are AI….

But honestly, that’s how I feel… There’s nothing wrong in feeling some type of way brother…
hustla:

That's why I like the internet

People say what's on your mind / what happened to you without you having to type much

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:39am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:

May we all make this kind of mistakes.........😜😭

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 9:42am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:

No i'm not, please explain in what sense? You mean in your job specifically or the UK as a country?
No the one I left in Nigeria but even if I find an equivalent one to my current one here, I'll take it as well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:45am On Apr 27, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
Maybe or Maybe Not..
There’s nothing wrong in feeling some type of way about a country, most especially a country you have lived in for up to 2 years.

Surely there is nothing wrong with that but sometimes i wonder why people move to a country they don't like then start complaining about the country. Moving to the UK is expensive so why would anyone waste so much money to get here then start complaining almost immediately?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:50am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

No the one I left in Nigeria but even if I find an equivalent one to my current one here, I'll take it as well.

So for the fact that over 10yrs you haven't found a job in Nigeria equivalent to what you have in the UK means...? The UK gives you what Nigeria does not have? Ok so for how long will you keep waiting for that opportunity in Nigeria to show up?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 9:50am On Apr 27, 2023
It isn’t a waste of money for me coming to UK, I never said that. I saw UK as a better country than Nigeria but not better than USA or Canada. That’s my view of it right from my younger age and still hasn’t changed till date.

That’s how I feel, don’t take it personal. If I travel out of the UK to probably USA or Canada and it feels shit there as well, then that’s my problem. Is that clear Justwise…

justwise:

Surely there is nothing wrong with that but sometimes i wonder why people move to a country they don't like then start complaining about the country. Moving to the UK is expensive so why would anyone waste so much money to get here then start complaining almost immediately?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:52am On Apr 27, 2023
Lexusgs430:

May we all make this kind of mistakes.........😜😭

...deliberate choice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 9:55am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:

So for the fact that over 10yrs you haven't found a job in Nigeria equivalent to what you have in the UK means...? The UK gives you what Nigeria does not have? Ok so for how long will you keep waiting for that opportunity in Nigeria to show up?
Or it took what I had in Nigeria and now that space has been filled by the abundant talents back home?
As I said, wish me well on my quest to return hiome. I will be much happier as the longer I stay, the more mental stress it puts on me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:55am On Apr 27, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
It wasn’t a waste of money for me coming to UK, I never said that. I saw UK as a better country than Nigeria but not better than USA or Canada. That’s my view of it right from my younger age and still hasn’t changed till date.

That’s how I feel, don’t take it persona. If I travel out of the UK to probably USA or Canada and it feels shit there as well, then that’s my problem. Is that clear Justwise…

Not really ..but its what its..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:04am On Apr 27, 2023
giselle237

Finally found it.
Thanks

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:04am On Apr 27, 2023
I totally agree with your comments. Aside from straight PR and bigger space in some provinces, I won't pick Canada ahead of UK. UK beats Canada in most other areas. Healthcare is even worse there. Tax are higher in most of the provinces, should we talk about mobile phone contracts, insurance etc. What about the extreme cold weather? UK is boring, Canada is worse. Different strokes for different folks.

Laslas, we will all be fine.

Strata1716:

Not to be offensive but I don’t really understand why people pick Canada over the uk, Canada weather is shit, the time difference to family and friends back home is crazy, the tax rate for earnings is not crazy different from the uk, still the same long wait time for medical procedures, exchange rate to the pounds is very poor and traveling from Canada to other countries for vacation is more expensive and stressful.

Asides fast track to citizenship I don’t see why Nigerians want to move from uk to Canada, I can understand US but Canada confuses me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:06am On Apr 27, 2023
dustydee:

Or it took what I had in Nigeria and now that space has been filled by the abundant talents back home?
As I said, wish me well on my quest to return hiome. I will be much happier as the longer I stay, the more mental stress it puts on me.

Sure sure...all the very best as you do that... i reacted because over the yrs i have read this from you and some others but yrs on nothing have changed.

I have a young family here and its possible that one day i might decide to move back to Nigeria but i will never regret living here for more than 15yrs., doing that will be discouraging to people who wants to take the same step i took yrs ago.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:06am On Apr 27, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
Yeah that’s the beauty of a faceless forum, no one can come and beat me in my house, not unless you are AI….

But honestly, that’s how I feel… There’s nothing wrong in feeling some type of way brother…

Well, different strokes for different folks too

UK is way better than what's obtainable back home and it's a solid option.. Amongst other options depending on individual and what they want

wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 10:09am On Apr 27, 2023
habhidhemhii:
You may not understand it but you can't a put the emboldened aside. This is worth everything for many people, considering that a lot of migrants are "doing it for their children and future." And of course you know Nigerians love quick gains. Think about how long it takes for a child born in the UK to get citizenship compared to Canada. So, for as long as possible, we will continue to see people b!tch about what the UK offers wrt other countries that seemingly offer better.

A child born in the UK gets citizenship automatically if one of the parents has indefinite leave or settled status. (Just wanted to clarify that the parents do not have to be citizens).

Not being rude, but if you couldn't get into these "better" countries, instead of b!tching about the UK why not be grateful that the UK at least let you in, and that your children will eventually get a valuable passport(even if it takes a few years longer) or that you'll have a stronger opportunity of moving to that "better" country from the UK

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Noworries11: 10:10am On Apr 27, 2023
In between
I discovered one small tiny rat entered the kitchen cupboard 3 nights ago...really don't know where it migrated from...checked tesco store nearby but couldn't get any rat poison...where can I purchase rat poison ni before the rat multiplys abi invite him people to come over
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:13am On Apr 27, 2023
justwise:

Sure sure...all the very best as you do that... i reacted because over the yrs i have read this from you and some others but yrs on nothing have changed.

I have a young family here and its possible that one day i might decide to move back to Nigeria but i will never regret living here for more than 15yrs., doing that will be discouraging to people who wants to take the same step i took yrs ago.

Thank you sir.
I am not trying to discourage anyone. For some, I do encourage them to come and some I discourage. It all depends on your individual circumstance. I get approached by people for advice. Someone recently asked if he should move abroad and I said he could because of his circumstance. He was well established in Nigeria, had little to nothing to lose by moving (Future settled, he can retire on a comfortable staeady income and healthcare for the rest of his life and much more plus he could test the waters and if does not work, he can go back to his job only losing a year or two). Now if I had someone advice me, I would have probably done same.
I will stop talking and start taking action. grin Have a blessed day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:27am On Apr 27, 2023
Check amazon
Noworries11:
In between
I discovered one small tiny rat entered the kitchen cupboard 3 nights ago...really don't know where it migrated from...checked tesco store nearby but couldn't get any rat poison...where can I purchase rat poison ni before the rat multiplys abi invite him people to come over

(1) (2) (3) ... (956) (957) (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.