Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,996 members, 7,814,394 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (961) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1175957 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) (964) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zahra29: 3:45pm On Apr 27, 2023
EngGandalf:
I see so many Nigerians bashing their fellow Nigerians for saying the obvious, someone used the word Bitching...
, the refugeesUSA evacuated from Afghanistan, after a few weeks in USA, they went on protest because of a few things the USA was doing wrong, that's people without visa o.. If it doesn't favor you, you can speak about it... No issues, it's a normal thing.. Stop castigating people for talking out. They're not talking about you ...Omo I don tire to talk....

I was quoting the OP who said that people were allowed to "b!tch" about the UK.

No one's saying not to speak out, but people bashing a country that's opened up opportunities for them (where they couldn't get into some other countries) because they don't give public funds to immigrants or it's boring or their children dont get automatic citizenship on day 1,or whatever, just sounds entitled and negative.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by habhidhemhii: 3:45pm On Apr 27, 2023
dupyshoo:
I agree that getting citizenship at birth is a bargain. However, the probability of getting the citizenship by birth is very low as you have to be in Canada already. To even get visitors visa in Canada, you have to wait for over a year as at the last time I checked. So how will you enter? Maybe through studies, which is not a walk in the park or through PR, which is also not easy and takes a lot of time and commitment. This means a lot of Nigerians will not even be able to get into Canada.

Instead of being ungrateful, let us try to make UK work for us. I have spoken to a lot of newcomers in the UK on how they can make the best of their stay here and develop themselves All what they want is to get a care job COS. Care job can most times be very hard and depressing. 5 years of your life doing care job!!! Delayed gratification can sometimes be better than quick wins.

I agree with you on all points.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jblesn(f): 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2023
EngGandalf:
I see so many Nigerians bashing their fellow Nigerians for saying the obvious, someone used the word Bitching...
, the refugeesUSA evacuated from Afghanistan, after a few weeks in USA, they went on protest because of a few things the USA was doing wrong, that's people without visa o.. If it doesn't favor you, you can speak about it... No issues, it's a normal thing.. Stop castigating people for talking out. They're not talking about you ...Omo I don tire to talk....

You are trying to compare refugees from a war-torn country with Nigerians who willingly left their country in search of greener pastures. Nahh, that is not a fair comparison imo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Madeu(m): 5:02pm On Apr 27, 2023
gergemam:

Hmm!!! I don't know the industry you're into

But for my own industry, I will rather not stay where a recruiter 😞😞😞 will say, We are sorry, we are not able to continue with your application due to your location..

With few months been in the UK, no dem they rush me, no me dey tell them I am sorry 😐.
Same here; for just a few months in the UK, I have been rejecting Jobs offered.
Those comparing Canada to the UK don't know that Foreign-trained Dotctors and graduates are doing menial jobs. There is no plum job.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by peacenaija(m): 5:02pm On Apr 27, 2023
Hi Elders,

Please where person fit get real agbo jedi for Youkay?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 5:05pm On Apr 27, 2023
he has made a lot of weird comparisons and statements

very very weird..

jblesn:

You are trying to compare refugees from a war-torn country with Nigerians who willingly left their country in search of greener pastures. Nahh, that is not a fair comparison imo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:21pm On Apr 27, 2023
dupyshoo:
I totally agree with your comments. Aside from straight PR and bigger space in some provinces, I won't pick Canada ahead of UK. UK beats Canada in most other areas. Healthcare is even worse there. Tax are higher in most of the provinces, should we talk about mobile phone contracts, insurance etc. What about the extreme cold weather? UK is boring, Canada is worse. Different strokes for different folks.

Laslas, we will all be fine.

The job market is also similar.

I have an Indian friend who was a Banker back home, his wife who is also a Banker had the opportunity to be transferred to the UK on a Tier 2 visa. Same time, coincidentally, they got their Canada kini. Of course, they rushed to Canada. After staying for a month and meeting other Bankers who had moved before them and informed them that it was difficult to get a job at similar level in their home Country without the mighty "Canadian Experience" in industries outside Health and Techie Tech; plus the weather was so so bad, it was boring, etc etc, they quietly accepted the offer of the wife and moved to the UK. The Husband got a £50k+ job in a month, and in less than a year, got another of £60k+... He has his Canadian PR but never returned till date.

My wife's friend visited from Canada and couldn't believe how cheap things are in UK.

Canada... UK... Will always be pros and cons with both sides equalling out but Nigerians will always complain sha grin

The UK/Nigerian comparison is the funny one and typically done by folks who have not lived in both Countries in the past few years. Those who have lived in Naija, earning well and moved to this place know the CLEAR difference.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by descarado: 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2023
steadyMoving22:
Grateful for the opportunities in the UK regardless.
NIGERIA didn't do so much for many of us so why complain.
We complain too much. Never ever grateful.
Yet in Nigeria, we get nothing but can't complain.
Insatiable humans

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 27, 2023
missjekyll:
Woah...bit rude there, dont you think?

It's OK not to like the UK,its a bit rubbish at the minute.

They say 1st gen immigrants are more patriotic than anyone else but let me just say this...

If you ever start to think of yourself as an Englishman, remember Shamima Begum and remember the British Citizens who have been abandoned in the Sudan when they flew embassy staff out last week. When asked, they said the peopleleft behind will have local help.

What sort of country abandons its citizens?

Shamina Begum the one that went to join ISIS and participate in murdering innocent people? Or is it someone else?

I don't know the specifics of the Sudan situation but I don't think they just abandoned people willy nilly. There's a civil war that has broken out. They have evacuated some people. What do you want them to do - go to every nook and cranny of the country to pull out every Brit? That would involve violating the sovereignty of the country and would also involve putting more lives at risk. NO country can say they've gotten all their people out. They are all evacuating those they can reach and trying to put protections in place for those who are behind.

Harsh, I know, but everyone in Sudan knew the risks - that's why countries issue travel advisories. They cannot invade another country every time violence breaks out, to extract every last person.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 27, 2023
profemebee:
Apologies if it sounded rude..

My point was he knew the rules before going to the UK.. e.g. no recourse to public funds, etc... I'm also adhering to the rules.. i just have to..

God bless you, and I don't think anything you said was rude or warrants an apology.

It always genuinely boggles my mind every time people keep complaining about things that were public knowledge before they arrived. Not things that you need to experience to understand o - like weather or societal behaviours etc, but basic factual things you can crunch the numbers for from wherever, like taxes, accessing public funds etc. Those kinds of constant moaners genuinely make one sick.

You knew all these things and had all the opportunity to pick up a calculator and crunch the numbers, but you still chose ton travel and will not now shut up about them.

As you said, people who are not happy should simply travel home or elsewhere. I honestly don't see how it's so difficult.

Of course this is not referencing people who genuinely had their plans disrupted by factors beyond their control - just to be clear.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:30pm On Apr 27, 2023
koonbey:

Shamina Begum the one that went to join ISIS and participate in murdering innocent people? Or is it someone else?

Yes its, the same girl who willingly left the UK to join terrorist group( i don't care how old she was then) herself and friends married a terrorist, glorified murdering innocent people then few yrs later she wants to return back to the UK and surprisingly some people here are supporting that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 6:35pm On Apr 27, 2023
Don't mind them. The girl that did not feel any form of remorse.

I am sure they will have different opinion if they are one of the victims of Manchester Arena bombing.
I refuse to feel any form of sympathy for her!!

justwise:

Yes its, the same girl who willingly left the UK to join terrorist group( i don't care how old she was then) herself and friends married a terrorist, glorified murdering innocent people then few yrs later she wants to return back to the UK and surprisingly some people here are supporting that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Exumal: 6:48pm On Apr 27, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Remain a lizard in Nigeria or explore the opportunities of becoming a crocodile or a komodo dragon......... 🐊🐉🐲😭😜

Would my life have been better in Nigeria........ Maybe......

But rather than thrive on a maybe........ I would rather pitch my tent with a slow + steady guaranteed rate of progression......... 😜😂

Ona go one day harvest all serious mineded youth comot for this country.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kwakudtraveller(m): 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2023
Getting a job in Canada as a new immigrant is more difficult than getting a job in the UK. It takes months and months. Better know this before you decide to port from the UK to Canada. As for the US, one day you have a job, the next day you are locked out of your system. Labour laws that are strict in the UK are non existent in the US, that’s why all these big companies can downsize anyhow in the US. Nowhere is perfect but at least the UK is still better than your home country.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 7:58pm On Apr 27, 2023
BorisJohnson:
People I haven’t seen in a long time:

RalphLauren

I'm good. Thanks for checking. I hope you're doing okay too smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:03pm On Apr 27, 2023
dupyshoo:
Don't mind them. The girl that did not feel any form of remorse.

I am sure they will have different opinion if they are one of the victims of Manchester Arena bombing.
I refuse to feel any form of sympathy for her!!

But isn't she British. Where was she radicalised, it was here. She was born and raised here all her life ...... so while I agree she might not be remorseful but she is British. If she was from a pure white British family won't she be allowed back as she can't be stateless .

You can't have one rule for white British and another rule for other..... but now the government has done it and is getting away with it which will set a terrible foundation that there are two types of British people

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 9:24pm On Apr 27, 2023
If a white British has other nationalities, his/her british citizenship can be revoked too. That's British law. Don't make it about white and coloured. Also, her dad is living in Bangladesh, why can't she move there?

Regarding being 2 types of British, that has always been the case. You can't get some jobs in the UK and US if you have dual nationaliities. Dual citizenship has advantages and disadvantages. This is one of the disadvantages. We just have to live with it.

LagosismyHome:

But isn't she British. Where was she radicalised, it was here. She was born and raised here all her life ...... so while I agree she might not be remorseful but she is British. If she was from a pure white British family won't she be allowed back as she can't be stateless .

You can't have one rule for white British and another rule for other..... but now the government has done it and is getting away with it which will set a terrible foundation that there are two types of British people

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:27pm On Apr 27, 2023
Exumal:

Ona go one day harvest all serious mineded youth comot for this country.

To their benefits or detriment........😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 9:37pm On Apr 27, 2023
Solumtoya:

The job market is also similar.

I have an Indian friend who was a Banker back home, his wife who is also a Banker had the opportunity to be transferred to the UK on a Tier 2 visa. Same time, coincidentally, they got their Canada kini. Of course, they rushed to Canada. After staying for a month and meeting other Bankers who had moved before them and informed them that it was difficult to get a job at similar level in their home Country without the mighty "Canadian Experience" in industries outside Health and Techie Tech; plus the weather was so so bad, it was boring, etc etc, they quietly accepted the offer of the wife and moved to the UK. The Husband got a £50k+ job in a month, and in less than a year, got another of £60k+... He has his Canadian PR but never returned till date.

My wife's friend visited from Canada and couldn't believe how cheap things are in UK.

Canada... UK... Will always be pros and cons with both sides equalling out but Nigerians will always complain sha grin

The UK/Nigerian comparison is the funny one and typically done by folks who have not lived in both Countries in the past few years. Those who have lived in Naija, earning well and moved to this place know the CLEAR difference.

No need to talk too much my bro

UK has been so good for me and my family despite us well settled in Nigeria before moving to UK some few years ago....Ever grateful to the UK because of the opportunities my wife and l found here and children are happy too.

22 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by barnaby04(m): 9:58pm On Apr 27, 2023
Good evening guys,

Please is there anyone here who renewed his/her international passport recently in the UK? I want to know how long it took for the passport to be out and the processes involved.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:07pm On Apr 27, 2023
LagosismyHome:

You are still making this comment years after it was debunked? Was "Jihadi Jack", Letts who was stripped of his British citizenship in 2019 by the Home Office not from white British family? He held dual citizenship Canada and British still he was stripped of his British citizenship for the same crime Shamima Begum committed. So what is your point exactly?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 1:13am On Apr 28, 2023
dupyshoo:
If a white British has other nationalities, his/her british citizenship can be revoked too. That's British law. Don't make it about white and coloured. Also, her dad is living in Bangladesh, why can't she move there?

Regarding being 2 types of British, that has always been the case. You can't get some jobs in the UK and US if you have dual nationaliities. Dual citizenship has advantages and disadvantages. This is one of the disadvantages. We just have to live with it.

I doubt if this is true
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:39am On Apr 28, 2023
dupyshoo:

This debate i guess will never end because of two opposite ends but

She never was a dual citizen. She only had one nationality. Her father might have been from Bangladesh but she never had that passport . Even the country issued a statement saying The clear position of the government of Bangladesh is British citizen Shamima was never a Bangladeshi citizen,"

Do how can British government then impose and say she from there. Are they the ones to tell another country that its their citizen.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:15am On Apr 28, 2023
justwise:

You are still making this comments years after it was debunked? Was "Jihadi Jack", Letts who was stripped of his British citizenship in 2019 by the Home Office not from white British family? He held dual citizenship Canada and British still he was stripped of his British citizenship for the same crime Shamima Begum committed. So what is your point exactly?

Dual citizenship is the key difference.... Jihadi Jack", Letts was a dual citizen so fair play maybe but here that Girl was plain British

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:38am On Apr 28, 2023
LagosismyHome:

Dual citizenship is the key difference.... Jihadi Jack", Letts was a dual citizen so fair play maybe but here that Girl was plain British

..and Shamima Begum is not?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:54am On Apr 28, 2023
LagosismyHome:

She never was a dual citizen. She only had one nationality. Her father might have been from Bangladesh but she never had that passport . Even the country issued a statement saying The clear position of the government of Bangladesh is British citizen Shamima was never a Bangladeshi citizen,"

Do how can British government then impose and say she from there. Are they the ones to tell another country that its their citizen.

She is a Bangladesh because her parents are, she doesn't need to hold the passport to be know as one. Many Nigerians born here by Nigerians parents are Nigerians by default,

Bangladesh govt denied her because obviously nobody wants a terrorist. If your argument has any merit why do you think she hasn't won court battle after court battle about this for yrs?

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 6:20am On Apr 28, 2023
All I can say is this, from the good and the bad, learn from it, and share your experience with others in a way they can learn from it too and make a better decision.

Going to any country as a student might mean going down the food chain. You have to fight your way up. Sometimes even with your previous experiences, you may still face the “you don’t have this location experience” problems.

Someone shared a road map of immigrants/immigrating. Can’t remember who, but it was some weeks ago, how people see UK from different lenses based on number of years lived in the country. It’s funny but very true. Traveling abroad is not so easy, especially when you realize those easy/good stories are not all true.

At this minute, the only reason I can advise anyone to go abroad will be on work sponsored visas (not care because they offer free sponsorships), but sponsorship from a profession you are passionate about (professional or building a career in -which could be care).

If you are not coming sponsored, then be prepared for anything including rejections and starting from the bottom of the food chain. Learn from people’s experience and build a good mindset for yourself. Your mind need to be strong to withstand difficult circumstances/situations. But the mindset built on your own is not the same as the one you copy. It is stronger and has more faith.

In our Nigerian lingo: Everyone go de alright las las. Just believe and keep putting in the work. It will surely payoff.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:33am On Apr 28, 2023
LagosismyHome:

But she isn't.

Begum was born in England to immigrant parents of Bangladeshi origin and citizenship.

Her citizenship was conditional. You can argue the morality of that all day long but to reduce it to her skin colour or race is to be dishonest, sorry. If it was someone else from Europe who was 'white' who did that, the legal consequences would be the same.

Other countries have similar laws - even the Uber-liberal US. Did you know that in Nigeria, the president can single-handedly remove a person's citizenship - with some conditions? Check S.30 CFRN.. The conditions might differ but the principle is there that a person who is entitled to be in a country by dint of their lineage will be treated differently. It's not about colour of skin but about ties to the country. A French or Hungarian or American would also be deprived of their UK citizenship in the same circumstances. Not everything is racism - it's just common sense - countries prioritise their own 'original' citizens over immigrants. It is what it is. Immigrants typically have fallbacks to.

Why didn't her own parents' country of origin take her back since she's legally entitled to their citizenship too? So they don't want a terrorist but the UK should be the insane liberals that'll roll out the red carpet for terrorists, abi. How is that even fair?

If it was a person of Nigerien or a Chadian origin who had joined Boko Haram to slaughter Nigerians, you think it'd even be a topic of debate whether to keep them out of the country? Many of us like to hold others to standards that we know would not fly among ourselves sha.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 6:39am On Apr 28, 2023
This used to be a thread where all opinions were valid. No question was considered stupid and everyone got along.

Today I have had people belittle others experiences by using negative words like "bitch" , "go back to Nigeria" , "you should be grateful " and others. I am sorry but those sentiments are not okay to share and definitely not in the spirit of the thread.

Can we have our old thread back please? Feel free to share your experiences of the UK.
If you disagree, read and pass. PEACE ✌️

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 28, 2023
LagosismyHome:

Not true. Citizenship is not by passport.

A person is entitled to citizenship of a country by parental ties, whether they hold a passport or not.

It is the responsibility of that country to issue the passport to them when they request it or provide temporary travel permissions as necessary to enable them return to their homeland. A child born in Peckham to non-settled Nigerian parents is as much a citizen of Nigeria as one born in Okokomaiko, and both of them don't need passports to be entitled to citizenship.

The country denied her because they didn't want a terrorist. Simple.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 6:52am On Apr 28, 2023
As at yesterday out of 4000 British Citizens who have reached out to be evacuated, only 536 had been evacuated, 3500 left behind to the tender mercies of other countries. We have to beg for space on other countries planes.
We should be airlifting them together with their families before ceasefire ended which is what other countries are doing but we failed them.
Mehn Unthinkable things are now commonplace under the Tories. We are now once again the sick man of Europe. Terrible
koonbey:

I don't know the specifics of the Sudan situation but I don't think they just abandoned people willy nilly. There's a civil war that has broken out. They have evacuated some people. What do you want them to do - go to every nook and cranny of the country to pull out every Brit? That would involve violating the sovereignty of the country and would also involve putting more lives at risk. NO country can say they've gotten all their people out. They are all evacuating those they can reach and trying to put protections in place for those who are behind.

Harsh, I know, but everyone in Sudan knew the risks - that's why countries issue travel advisories. They cannot invade another country every time violence breaks out, to extract every last person.

(1) (2) (3) ... (958) (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) (964) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.