Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (965) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1174866 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 29, 2023
Treadway:
even those ones you mentioned can be counted by hand. First of, most Nigerians abroad spanning generations are not particularly given to enterprise. Na greener pasture/ work dey find go, no be to do business..Simple.

1. Most Nigerians, and people in the UK generally, do not NEED to start businesses. You think the reason why every Tom, Dick, and Harry in Nigeria is selling clothes or farm produce or hair or small chops or whatever else on Whatsapp and Instagram is because they are 'particularly given to enterprise'? Lol - how cute. Let me inform you that actually, it's because they have no other option. They can't find good jobs so most turn to selling anything to make ends meet. You can't even get a job as a bank teller or a school teacher in a state primary school unless someone puts your name on a list or gives you a note.

2. Despite (1), many still do. I work with many tech companies that are based in the UK/US and have Nigerians on the team, and they are doing great. Even on the ground in the country, almost all of the founders in YCombinator, and high-flying startups generally, will typically be people based abroad but who are building something to cater to the Nigerian market, and especially the diaspora that remits billions, as someone highlighted earlier. I'm pretty sure that on a per capita basis, the proportion of Nigerian immigrants who start businesses abroad is higher than the proportion of 'natives', but I don't have stats for that so feel free to discount it.

I do agree with your point about our community not being as cohesive though. It's a problem at the moment but I believe there's a real opportunity there, which is why I actively interact with 'our people' as much as possible to identify people one can build with over time. It starts with us as individuals, after all.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by heroshark(m): 8:52pm On Apr 29, 2023
Lolli2pop:
Hi guys please important question.. a friend of mine got married in 2019 but she kept using her maiden name because she was too lazy to apply for a new nigerian passport that would reflect her husband’s name. Now she is about to finally apply for a change of name on her pass post since her passport is about to expire.

She has a uk brp in her maiden name.. can she continue to use this brp even after she gets a new passport in her husband’s name. If she can’t, can she apply for update of info on her existing brp card before her new passport arrives or does she have to wait?

Her biggest concern was if her new passport comes with her husband name nd she continues using the brp card in her name, when she travels outside the uk how would she prove to the border control that its the same person for both docs. Could this cause an issue? Has anyone been through similar experience?

She don't need to prove anything, that's what biometrics is for
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by youngmusty: 9:09pm On Apr 29, 2023
One furnished room available for immediate rent in a 3 bedroom house at Liverpool L11 15mins bus to Liverpool city center. Preferably single.
Very close to bustop. DM me for further information
350£ pcm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 9:16pm On Apr 29, 2023
koonbey:

1. Most Nigerians, and people in the UK generally, do not NEED to start businesses. You think the reason why every Tom, Dick, and Harry in Nigeria is selling clothes or farm produce or hair or small chops or whatever else on Whatsapp and Instagram is because they are 'particularly given to enterprise'? Lol - how cute. Let me inform you that actually, it's because they have no other option. They can't find good jobs so most turn to selling anything to make ends meet. You can't even get a job as a bank teller or a school teacher in a state primary school unless someone puts your name on a list or gives you a note.

2. Despite (1), many still do. I work with many tech companies that are based in the UK/US and have Nigerians on the team, and they are doing great. Even on the ground in the country, almost all of the founders in YCombinator, and high-flying startups generally, will typically be people based abroad but who are building something to cater to the Nigerian market, and especially the diaspora that remits billions, as someone highlighted earlier. I'm pretty sure that on a per capita basis, the proportion of Nigerian immigrants who start businesses abroad is higher than the proportion of 'natives', but I don't have stats for that so feel free to discount it.

I do agree with your point about our community not being as cohesive though. It's a problem at the moment but I believe there's a real opportunity there, which is why I actively interact with 'our people' as much as possible to identify people one can build with over time. It starts with us as individuals, after all.
I acknowledge your points.

On your 1st point, yes I agree, necessity forced many to think outside the box and start any sort of business, but there are people who are genuinely and deeply sold to being entrepreneurs. I am one. I have never viewed a job the way my contemporaries do. Ask anyone close to me they will tell you I'm that way. I have always seen a job as a means to an end.. something that is merely to provide me money to do what I really want to do. You are right, but you should also admit that the bulk of people immigrating are workers, people who quit jobs and moved out. Do a ratio of those who quit jobs and moved out Vs those who folded up 'viable' businesses and moved out, and you'll see the picture I am painting. It isn't about the need to start a business, rather it is about the desire. Most don't have it and it's perfectly fine. We are all wired differently and have different purpose in life.

On the second, see what I shared in the old thread I was talking about, see the bolded..I am basically re-echoing what you said in my own words and way. More Nigerians 'abroad' doing more business more on per-capita basis?? How na... Lol. Using Nairaland members as sample size lasan shuts that down nicely!!! How many dey here wey dey do business abroad, hands in the air🤣

Treadway:
Lol. Unfortunately, most Nigerians who emigrate are not entrepreneurial.

As it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, it is till now. Unlike other races and nationalities (Indians, Asians, Mexicans) that also emigrate, but over the years have made their mark and are thus more formidable as an racial/ethnic bloc/community, most Naija simply do not have their brains wired for entrepreneurship...even harder to think that way now considering how difficult it is to make enough money to start a business in 2023, not to mention the inherent risks. Which Gbadebo or Okoro would wanna risk losing what took him maybe 25+ years to accumulate if their business goes belly up?

When they do have children, for the few that have truly special children that have the fire, they have to come back home to really make sense. Demand and supply! Do you think Andela would have made any mark in the US? Demand and supply. Andela in the US is just another bee in a swarm of bees, but in Nigeria, same Andela is a queen bee..... now the shocking part is even these special children that have it in them, you can literally count them by hand. Like most emigrants state here on this forum, most moved overseas just to live a happier life. Being an entrepreneur certainly and evidently isn't in the cards for most Nigerian emigrants.

Lol

On the third, good to hear you are doing your bit...but if what we read on this platform is anything to go by, then way still looooong gan

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NnenaRita(m): 9:38pm On Apr 29, 2023
Thank you

hustla:

Glass door should offer some answers. You can also check that of other similar companies to get an idea

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NnenaRita(m): 9:38pm On Apr 29, 2023
Thank you

Ifyluv23:

I applied for retail sales advisor.

The few ones I remember

why I want to work with EE
How to make a customer feel welcomed and relaxed in the store
How to handle an Irate customer
Then the lady asked me, my phone brand, I told her, she said I should sell the phone to her ( sales pitch)
She asked if a customer comes in to cancel a contract how will I handle such situation.

How do I handle negative feedback

These are the few I remember.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chukusi: 9:50pm On Apr 29, 2023
LagosismyHome:

This more than 20 hours is for only Health and Care Worker visa under T2..... so not applicable to all Tier 2

If you fall under Health and Care Worker category then ok for more than 20 hours till August. I suspect they are piloting something

Thank you for the clarification.

Regarding the piloting, whats on your mind?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Itsrm(m): 10:21pm On Apr 29, 2023
mizGene:

I know a lot of start ups and medium sized companies where senior mgrs earn about N30m. I would imagine their directors And CEOs earn a lot more.
So much larger Companies should pay even more...

Here you go

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/07/17/highest-paid-ceos-in-nigeria-in-2021/amp/

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CowbellY: 10:30pm On Apr 29, 2023
Lolli2pop:
Hi guys please important question.. a friend of mine got married in 2019 but she kept using her maiden name because she was too lazy to apply for a new nigerian passport that would reflect her husband’s name. Now she is about to finally apply for a change of name on her pass post since her passport is about to expire.

She has a uk brp in her maiden name.. can she continue to use this brp even after she gets a new passport in her husband’s name. If she can’t, can she apply for update of info on her existing brp card before her new passport arrives or does she have to wait?

Her biggest concern was if her new passport comes with her husband name nd she continues using the brp card in her name, when she travels outside the uk how would she prove to the border control that its the same person for both docs. Could this cause an issue? Has anyone been through similar experience?

It's not a problem, as long as she holds a copy of the change of name. If needed, she can apply to UKVI to update her new name as well

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:50pm On Apr 29, 2023
If she changes the name on her passport, she must contact UKVI within 3 months of the name change for a BRP replacement or risk being fined.
Lolli2pop:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IbeOkehie: 11:06pm On Apr 29, 2023
Treadway:

More Nigerians 'abroad' doing more business more on per-capita basis?? How na... Lol.

Depends on what you mean by business. Selling LABOR is a business, so an expansive definition makes EVERYONE that earns money a business person.

Then one has to measure ROI. All those hawkers selling boli, trinkets and gala on Nigerian highways are doing business for sure. So is the owner of your local barber salon or mama put food stand. Most would rather work a security job in the UK than do any of those because they will earn higher pay and have money left over to remit to friends and relatives in Nigeria.

Treadway:
You guys just punch figs in a calculator like when they pay you that 35k pounds you will carry every single pound come naija next day to convert it without spending one pound of it there in the UK..lol

I wonder how all those Nigerian workers in the UK manage to send home billions of pound sterling every year. 🤔

Many of you who've NEVER traveled outside Nigeria don't understand or comprehend the vast chasm between the Anglo-Western nations and Nigeria...or maybe they do and hence the burning desire to denigrate diasporans.

Nigeria has 30% unemployment and yet it's supposedly full of business mavens!!! grin Nigerians won't kill me on this Nairaland abeg 😂.

I went back and looked at some threads from 2008, 2011, 2013, 2018 just to laugh at how Nigerians even back then were insisting that their shithole was paradise. Of course I was similarly misguided for a time but now we know better.

Only 0.01% of Nigerian can afford a basic modern standard of living...house with accessible and affordable good water and energy, private car or clean, safe and reliable public transport, flush toilet, adequate nutrition. Accessible and quality healthcare, security of life and limb. Nigerians can't even legally own land in their own country. That's whether you own a business or not.

Nigeria is a Zoo and it's an insult to common sense to compare even its highest standard of living to the lowest working class conditions in the UK.

Cheers!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ojtopsy: 11:08pm On Apr 29, 2023
Good evening house
Please I need links to people who do cargo business around here to bring in foodstuff and or fabric materials. Please help with links withh good recommendation and the affordable ones . thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightofjoy(m): 4:38am On Apr 30, 2023
Pls gurus in the house, my car was controlled today and police said I should produce evidence that my license is not fake, I use international driver's license. Please what can I do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:00am On Apr 30, 2023
Chreze:
@theguyfromhr

Been a while. Hope you and family are good.

All well this end, thanks for checking in. Along with Oga semmyk and others. Una do well.

Last few months been hectic, changed jobs (meaning visa formalities), moved house (different city), dealing with mortgage process - I've filled out so many forms recently that I've started dreaming about the bloody things.

I see the thread continues to be lively, sharp exchanges of opinions, the odd dissemination of misinformation, the perpetration of instances of Nigerian groupthink, the buyer's remorse over moving to the UK without having done basic and finding it different from the land of milk and honey of the average Nigerian's imaginings, all in all, it's like one never took a brief timeout.

Oga Lexus, you should know better than to throw around the old "rent money is dead money" in a thread largely populated by recent immigrants trying to navigate life in a new country in what is effectively middle age considering recent life expectancy trends wink, Oga Justwise, we argued this citizenship-stripping thing to a standstill in 2021 and I see your opinion hasn't changed - but Lagosismyhome is right as she and others argued then - effectively there are now two classes of UK citizenship, one for those whose parents and grandparents came recently and one for those whose forebears didn't wink, and I see that the myth of so-called lack of entrepreneurialism in the average Nigerian endures.

In that regard, it would be instructive to a) first put forward then compare stats for other immigrant nationalities and other groups and b) the period in which they arrived and c) familiarise oneself with the realities of the UK's current energy- and resource-draining immigration system as opposed to previous periods when people only had to find the price of a plane ticket. d) understand why the UK has all the Global Talent, Scale Up and High Potential Individual visa programs.

As for those who think Canada is better than the UK - please don't. From the sole standpoint of a Nigerian who qualifies for Express Entry or who managed to get a Canadian student visa and its associated generally more streamlined, cheaper and more generous post-study process and higher potential of achieving permanent residence yes it is - obtaining a first-world country permanent residence and citizenship with no stress is definitely something to be aimed for.

The UK is certainly not the best place to live in the western world, but it comes off way better in a comparison with Canada except in the general size of its houses. Leave internet punditry aside and go and verify.

And regarding pay for senior managers back home, dustydee isn't too far off, but unfortunately the concurring posting of the remuneration of (largely) expatriate CEOs in Nigeria is. There are huge inequalities between what top execs earn and general salary scales. Same happens here in the UK as well, if not to the same extent as it might happen in Nigeria, but still the same thing. Alas.

Enjoy the Bank Holiday all. Back to my form-filling.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:04am On Apr 30, 2023
lightofjoy:
Pls gurus in the house, my car was controlled today and police said I should produce evidence that my license is not fake, I use international driver's license. Please what can I do?

You have to present the underlying [Nigerian?] driving licence.
An international driving licence is not a standalone, it's based on a national licence.
And you should be within the one year period following your arrival in the UK as a resident during which you can use your national licence to drive in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tier4Dependant: 6:08am On Apr 30, 2023
TheGuyFromHR:

An international driving licence is not a standalone, it's based on a national licence.
And you should be within the one year period following your arrival in the UK as a resident during which you can use your national licence to drive in the UK.

This should be another topic to enlighten those that just arrived or those driving with international license.

An international license is NOT a standalone. You need your Naija license.

Most people scale through because the police hardly stop people.

In the UK, your Nigerian license is classed as International license.

People are just wasting 15-20k to get a plastic id card that the govt tagged International driving permit. The things looks fake sef undecided

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Igbamatigbi: 6:14am On Apr 30, 2023
TheGuyFromHR:

Hi what’s the process of changing from Nigerian international drivers license to U.K. licence? Will you do through the driving test and theory to get the U.K. own?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 6:36am On Apr 30, 2023
Igbamatigbi:

Hi what’s the process of changing from Nigerian international drivers license to U.K. licence? Will you do through the driving test and theory to get the U.K. own?

You do not change from a Nigeria license to a UK license. The first thing you need to do is to apply for UK provisional driving license
2. Apply for the Uk theory test which you need to pass before you can be ready for the practical driving test
3. Apply for the practical driving test once you pass your theory test.

All these must be done within one year of your arrival in the UK{or else you stop driving with the international DL immediately after your one-year elapse}

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hayesconcept(m): 7:41am On Apr 30, 2023
You need to show them your original national driving license. Anything aside that, the UK police no go accept.
lightofjoy:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:44am On Apr 30, 2023
TheGuyFromHR:

Oga Justwise, we argued this citizenship-stripping thing to a standstill in 2021 and I see your opinion hasn't changed - but Lagosismyhome is right as she and others argued then - effectively there are now two classes of UK citizenship, one for those whose parents and grandparents came recently and one for those whose forebears didn't wink,

Enjoy the Bank Holiday all. Back to my form-filling.

No it hasn't and will never.

Good to have you back though.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 7:45am On Apr 30, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Depends on what you mean by business. Selling LABOR is a business, so an expansive definition makes EVERYONE that earns money a business person.

Then one has to measure ROI. All those hawkers selling boli, trinkets and gala on Nigerian highways are doing business for sure. So is the owner of your local barber salon or mama put food stand. Most would rather work a security job in the UK than do any of those because they will earn higher pay and have money left over to remit to friends and relatives in Nigeria.

I wonder how all those Nigerian workers in the UK manage to send home billions of pound sterling every year. 🤔

Many of you who've NEVER traveled outside Nigeria don't understand or comprehend the vast chasm between the Anglo-Western nations and Nigeria...or maybe they do and hence the burning desire to denigrate diasporans.

Nigeria has 30% unemployment and yet it's supposedly full of business mavens!!! grin Nigerians won't kill me on this Nairaland abeg 😂.

I went back and looked at some threads from 2008, 2011, 2013, 2018 just to laugh at how Nigerians even back then were insisting that their shithole was paradise. Of course I was similarly misguided for a time but now we know better.

Only 0.01% of Nigerian live at a basic modern standard of living...house with accessible and affordable good water and energy, private car or clean, safe and reliable public transport, flush toilet, adequate nutrition. Accessible and quality healthcare, security of life and limb. Nigerians can't even legally own land in their own country. That's whether you own a business or not.

Nigeria is a Zoo and it's an insult to common sense to compare even its highest standard of living to the lowest working class conditions in the UK.

Cheers!

Cho Cho Cho Cho...as usual just long baseless babble. Cognitive dissonance is your stock in trade.. you're so closed off that arguing with you is pointless, even when I jab you with facts you go still deflect and start writing autobiographies na why I ignore you earlier...so no lectures from me to you on a basic concept like PPP...shey na person wey say 4% is greater than 96% i wan put leg for shokoto with...lol

Dey babble dey go pharm. You get time.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yomisley: 7:47am On Apr 30, 2023
Pls who can recommend a good cream for someone with a wizkid kind of color. I no want organic cream ooo I want cream I can always get from any store. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:14am On Apr 30, 2023
How/Why did UK Police controlled your car? Sorry I don’t really understand that question.
lightofjoy:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:45am On Apr 30, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

This should be another topic to enlighten those that just arrived or those driving with international license.

An international license is NOT a standalone. You need your Naija license.

Most people scale through because the police hardly stop people.

In the UK, your Nigerian license is classed as International license.

People are just wasting 15-20k to get a plastic id card that the govt tagged International driving permit. The things looks fake sef undecided

To add ........

You also need to produce your international passport, along with your license........

NB: They are going to conduct findings (so ensure DL is not fake)........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:46am On Apr 30, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
How/Why did UK Police controlled your car? Sorry I don’t really understand that question.

Vehicle was possibly seized........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 9:17am On Apr 30, 2023
Wow thanks. He don do something be that, maybe driving without insurance… Because police hardly stop people..
Lexusgs430:

Vehicle was possible seized........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:25am On Apr 30, 2023
yomisley:
Pls who can recommend a good cream for someone with a wizkid kind of color. I no want organic cream ooo I want cream I can always get from any store. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Thank you.

Sir Wizkid

Cantu
Shea butter
Coconut oil

grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SamReinvented: 9:39am On Apr 30, 2023
Temi231:

I do not want to reply to this before but I believe some people make their decision depending on what they read online. I will appreciate it if you can quote any company in Nigeria that pays the equivalent of 48 million naira for a Manager in Nigeria. The one I worked for before in Nigeria is one of the highest-paid institutions in Nigeria and I can say with my full chest that a Deputy director does not even earn 52 million or 48 million yearly talk less than 40 million.

Unless you want to run things with paper company or being corrupt that the only way you can make exorbitant money in Nigeria.

The first job that I got out of university in Nigeria (definitely not manager level), I was earning around a million Naira per month as at the time (USD 2,600 to be exact). It was for a US company and I was working remotely. I was not living in Lagos either, which means my expense was very low and I was saving a TONNE of money.

If not for second passport wey I dey find, I no go dey UK ooo. The math is not mathing in this country make I no lie 😂.

Anyway… I think you guys should let this argument to rest. People would have different perspectives and experience to things like this. At the end of the day, it is individual choices. Let everyone do what they feel is right for them.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lolli2pop: 9:58am On Apr 30, 2023
hayesconcept:
She should not change the name anything aside that is a shege Promax.

Sorry what do you mean? Do you mean she shouldn’t change the name on her passport or on her brp? I am confused

And why is it shege promax?

(1) (2) (3) ... (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.