Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (964) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1174798 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:50am On Apr 29, 2023
Yes o! If you start early, I'm sure before your 6 months lapses, you would've gotten the new one and saves you the stress of last minute renewals.

hustla:

Thanks!
Ill be sure to do that before they carry me handicap
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:53am On Apr 29, 2023
Yes you have to show POF for each dependent joining you (excluding your spouse if he's already in the UK). Which of your accounts has the most funds to cover the POF? Best to avoid confusion though but yes you can combine both accounts with a cover letter to explain.

Ifyluv23:
Hello, please I need guidance on this. I am already in the UK on student visa since September with my spouse. We want to apply fir our kids to join us.

Do I still have to show POF for my spouse I and the kids? Please note school fees have been fully paid

Secondly, can I combine my UK bank statement with Nigerian bank statement? I am thinking of using my Halifaxt bank account to make up for the balance as I don't have time to start counting 28 days again.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:59am On Apr 29, 2023
bigtt76:
Yes o! If you start early, I'm sure before your 6 months lapses, you would've gotten the new one and saves you the stress of last minute renewals.

Thanks!

Do you know if I can start the process on their website? Or I need to goto the embassy in London

Pointers appreciated
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:11am On Apr 29, 2023
Yes you can. But ensure that when making payment online, the name on the card you are using should match the names on your passport. If different, it won't go through.

hustla:

Thanks!

Do you know if I can start the process on their website? Or I need to goto the embassy in London

Pointers appreciated

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 10:51am On Apr 29, 2023
dustydee:

Thank you for the correction. I stand corrected. What I intended to say is that the naira goes much further than the pound equivalent but that does not even matter, just saying.

Q: Why do you think many Nigerians are migrating? Nigerians migrate for various reasons. I for example, wanted to learn how to do things the proper way so I can contribute to the growth and development of Nigeria.

Q: What do you think is the annual salary of a manager in a Nigerian company? Since you left it open, my former colleagues who are managers now earn about £52k equivalent which is not too far from what I earn as a manager in the UK.

Q: How many active Nigerians in diapora have you seen return home to pick up a job? That's an individual choice, there are many, especially from where I come from, that return home. Heck, I spoke with lots of my friends back ome who have foreclosed the idea of moving abroad even though they have the means.

But as I said, it's all individual preference and what I like may not be what you like. That does not mean you or I are crazy.
Nigeria was good to me, may God give me the opportunity to pay her back.

Nice... I hope you get a good opportunity to go back.

BUT Very few industries will pay a Manager N48m per Annum. Good industries that pay well like Banking will pay less than half of that. The average will be somewhere around N10m which is N700k per month. So if one loses such good job of N48m, finding another might be tough.

Industries that pay well will be located in maybe VI or Abuja. Your monthly expense will be about conservatively N600k for a family of 5. This doesn't include:
School Fees of roughly N2m per Annum per child;
RENT of N3m (in a good, secure location).
If you decide to buy a 2012 SUV car like a Highlander, you cough out like N11m.
Prepare for heavy repairs and replacement on generator and cars too cause of high usage, bad roads, bad technicians and bad fuel.

All these are financial alone. Don't wanna talk about flooding, labour laws, kidnapping, robbery.

Nigeria is a great place, no doubt. We'd all love to stay back. BUT it's not hard to see why many people are leaving.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:39am On Apr 29, 2023
bigtt76:
Yes you can. But ensure that when making payment online, the name on the card you are using should match the names on your passport. If different, it won't go through.

Thanks!

Ill ensure that its the same name

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:41am On Apr 29, 2023
Solumtoya:

All these are financial alone. Don't wanna talk about flooding, labour laws, kidnapping, robbery

Nigeria is a great place, no doubt. We'd all love to stay back. BUT it's not hard to see why many people are leaving.

Imagine being 1 person who is wealthy or well to do in the midst of 1 million people who are hungry, unemployed and frustrated .. especially in a place like Lagos

Results arent hard to imagine

We all know how Nigeria is but we like to pretend

smiley

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 12:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
dustydee:

Thank you for the correction. I stand corrected. What I intended to say is that the naira goes much further than the pound equivalent but that does not even matter, just saying.

Q: Why do you think many Nigerians are migrating? Nigerians migrate for various reasons. I for example, wanted to learn how to do things the proper way so I can contribute to the growth and development of Nigeria.

Q: What do you think is the annual salary of a manager in a Nigerian company? Since you left it open, my former colleagues who are managers now earn about £52k equivalent which is not too far from what I earn as a manager in the UK.

I do not want to reply to this before but I believe some people make their decision depending on what they read online. I will appreciate it if you can quote any company in Nigeria that pays the equivalent of 48 million naira for a Manager in Nigeria. The one I worked for before in Nigeria is one of the highest-paid institutions in Nigeria and I can say with my full chest that a Deputy director does not even earn 52 million or 48 million yearly talk less than 40 million.

Unless you want to run things with paper company or being corrupt that the only way you can make exorbitant money in Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phenmeson(m): 1:19pm On Apr 29, 2023
hustla:

Can I start my application 6 months to Passport expiry?

That's the best thing to do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:29pm On Apr 29, 2023
Phenmeson:

That's the best thing to do.

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by segunzolawalez: 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2023
Nigerians here in the UK hardly talk about owing businesses, why?? I haven't heard of Nigerians who own big businesses in the UK. Most I have heard about are those who own African restaurants, African shops, carehomes or care agencies.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 1:33pm On Apr 29, 2023
Viruses:
Omo, this health care CoS don expensive now o. I know it used to be around 5 million when it started, someone was telling me an agent told he 12 million.

Why has it become this expensive, is it because of increased demand.

As it is, maybe the way forward will be to anonymously report these agencies make the worse happen. Because truth is you need staff, so why charge such amount.

6£ said you done cross the bridge? grin
You dey YouKay already...Dey play wink

What you said ought to be the way forward, but what U're saying is tantamount to shutting the door behind you...Dont

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 1:38pm On Apr 29, 2023
FYI to interested candidates.
Leadership and Management Trainee, Band 6. Fixed term: 24 months (Limited funding (training)). Salary: £33,575 - £35,973 Inclusive of HCAS (1st year 70% & 2nd year 75% of Band 6).
Closing: 16/05/2023 23:59
Previous NHS experience not required.
https://www.healthjobsuk.com/job/UK/London/London/University_College_London_Hospitals_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Workforce/Workforce-v5241025?_ts=440215

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 1:44pm On Apr 29, 2023
dustydee:

Thank you for the correction. I

Nigeria was good to me, may God give me the opportunity to pay her back.

£52k=47.8MiL/Yr?

Walahi na drug baron them be, Or pipeline vandals, or this their newly found Lagos Real Estate Racketeering biz.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:08pm On Apr 29, 2023
What are your ideas of Big businesses if I may ask? May be we can start from there

segunzolawalez:
Nigerians here in the UK hardly talk about owing businesses, why?? I haven't heard of Nigerians who own big businesses in the UK. Most I have heard about are those who own African restaurants, African shops, carehomes or care agencies.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

£52k=47.8MiL/Yr?

Walahi na drug baron them be, Or pipeline vandals, or this their newly found Lagos Real Estate Racketeering biz.
too much cognitive dissonance on display here. Dustydee is talking about PPP not wururwuru conversions. You don't spend naira in the UK and we don't spend pounds in Nigeria. He already gave u a simple calculatior which I think is somewhat accurate. So if £30k pounds is about 6-7m in relative value, the 52k pounds he mentioned his friends here are making would be anywhere from 10-12m per annum. You guys just punch figs in a calculator like when they pay you that 35k pounds you will carry every single pound come naija next day to convert it without spending one pound of it there in the UK..lol

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 3:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
Temi231:

I do not want to reply to this before but I believe some people make their decision depending on what they read online. I will appreciate it if you can quote any company in Nigeria that pays the equivalent of 48 million naira for a Manager in Nigeria. The one I worked for before in Nigeria is one of the highest-paid institutions in Nigeria and I can say with my full chest that a Deputy director does not even earn 52 million or 48 million yearly talk less than 40 million.

Unless you want to run things with paper company or being corrupt that the only way you can make exorbitant money in Nigeria.

I know a lot of start ups and medium sized companies where senior mgrs earn about N30m. I would imagine their directors And CEOs earn a lot more.
So much larger Companies should pay even more...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 3:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
segunzolawalez:
Right. I'm interested to hear more from people who are entrepreneurs here too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 3:20pm On Apr 29, 2023
segunzolawalez:
even those ones you mentioned can be counted by hand. First of, most Nigerians abroad spanning generations are not particularly given to enterprise. Na greener pasture/ work dey find go, no be to do business..Simple.

Second, the togetherness to foster a formidable community that in little strides will make things easier for everyone in the community like the Asians, is totally lacking.

Third, even the few who are entreprneurial have to deal with greater barriers to entry than they are used to back home, even for the basic things such as cost and legal requirements to start a business in these countries. So, there you have it. There is a thread somewhere here where this topic has been discussed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NnenaRita(m): 4:07pm On Apr 29, 2023
Please does anyone have an idea of EE telephone interview for Customer Service Advisor: the kind of questions to expect and the processes after the interview
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:52pm On Apr 29, 2023
NnenaRita:
Please does anyone have an idea of EE telephone interview for Customer Service Advisor: the kind of questions to expect and the processes after the interview

Glass door should offer some answers. You can also check that of other similar companies to get an idea

smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by steadyMoving22: 4:53pm On Apr 29, 2023
Having a British passport alone beat all the odds or whatever annual salary you receive in nigeria with a nigeria passport, many reasons why many of the big money bags in NIGERIA mostly have kids with US passport.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 6:20pm On Apr 29, 2023
Treadway:
too much cognitive dissonance on display here. Dustydee is talking about PPP not wururwuru conversions. You don't spend naira in the UK and we don't spend pounds in Nigeria. He already gave u a simple calculatior which I think is somewhat accurate. So if £30k pounds is about 6-7m in relative value, the 52k pounds he mentioned his friends here are making would be anywhere from 10-12m per annum. You guys just punch figs in a calculator like when they pay you that 35k pounds you will carry every single pound come naija next day to convert it without spending one pound of it there in the UK..lol

It is not wuruwuru, the devaluation is real.
The CBN rate can be said to be the fake, because you cannot get it or else you are applying for PTA (limited) or Form A, others you must go through a particular channel and that channel was what I talked about...NOT Student stuffs.

Meanwhile, if I hand you over £30k now, will you change it through that your so called wuruwuru or head to you bank for conversion? I want check something and I dey wait your response. I like practical 🙂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Treadway: 6:28pm On Apr 29, 2023
DoDirtsLikeWorm:

It is not wuruwuru, the devaluation is real.
The CBN rate can be said to be the fake, because you cannot get it or else you are applying for PTA (limited) or Form A, others you must go through a particular channel and that channel was what I talked about...NOT Student stuffs.

Meanwhile, if I hand you over £30k now, will you change it through that your so called wuruwuru or head to you bank for conversion? I want check something and I dey wait your response. I like practical 🙂
we are not talking about all these things you are saying. We are talking about purchasing power parity (PPP) btw countries, not this form A or parallel rate/official rate you are talking about. Read it up. In simple terms, it means someone who makes 30k pounds is comparable to someone earning 5-6m in Nigeria when you consider how the money can go round when spent in the respective countries. When you get an annual pay of 30k pounds you spend the bulk of it in the UK, not Nigeria. You don't take your 30k salary convert it and be smiling that you have made X million naira...but still be complaining about cutting hair for mere £30. That is the wururwuru conversion a lot of people do here. It's hilarious actually.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lolli2pop: 7:24pm On Apr 29, 2023
Hi guys please important question.. a friend of mine got married in 2019 but she kept using her maiden name because she was too lazy to apply for a new nigerian passport that would reflect her husband’s name. Now she is about to finally apply for a change of name on her pass post since her passport is about to expire.

She has a uk brp in her maiden name.. can she continue to use this brp even after she gets a new passport in her husband’s name. If she can’t, can she apply for update of info on her existing brp card before her new passport arrives or does she have to wait?

Her biggest concern was if her new passport comes with her husband name nd she continues using the brp card in her name, when she travels outside the uk how would she prove to the border control that its the same person for both docs. Could this cause an issue? Has anyone been through similar experience?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ifyluv23: 7:55pm On Apr 29, 2023
bigtt76:
Yes you have to show POF for each dependent joining you (excluding your spouse if he's already in the UK). Which of your accounts has the most funds to cover the POF? Best to avoid confusion though but yes you can combine both accounts with a cover letter to explain.

Thanks for your response! The Nigerian bank account has 99% of the fund. I just need like 87 pounds to complete it. Reason I want to use my UK bank account to supplement.

Though I added POF for my spouse who is already here in the UK. But from your response, I should be okay since I am not required to show proof of maintenance fund for my spouse already in UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hayesconcept(m): 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
She should not change the name anything aside that is a shege Promax.
Lolli2pop:
Hi guys please important question.. a friend of mine got married in 2019 but she kept using her maiden name because she was too lazy to apply for a new nigerian passport that would reflect her husband’s name. Now she is about to finally apply for a change of name on her pass post since her passport is about to expire.

She has a uk brp in her maiden name.. can she continue to use this brp even after she gets a new passport in her husband’s name. If she can’t, can she apply for update of info on her existing brp card before her new passport arrives or does she have to wait?

Her biggest concern was if her new passport comes with her husband name nd she continues using the brp card in her name, when she travels outside the uk how would she prove to the border control that its the same person for both docs. Could this cause an issue? Has anyone been through similar experience?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IbeOkehie: 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
Treadway:
even those ones you mentioned can be counted by hand. First of, most Nigerians abroad spanning generations are not particularly given to enterprise. Na greener pasture/ work dey find go, no be to do business..Simple.

Second, the togetherness to foster a formidable community that in little strides will make things easier for everyone in the community like the Asians, is totally lacking.

Third, even the few who are entreprneurial have to deal with greater barriers to entry than they are used to back home, even for the basic things such as cost and legal requirements to start a business in these countries. So, there you have it. There is a thread somewhere here where this topic has been discussed.

Nigerians living in Nigeria are not more enterprising than those living abroad. If they were so good at business, their unemployment rate would be much less than the current 30% for sure. So much business genius in a country where there's perennial scarcity of petrol and electricity in the midst of abundant crude oil and natural gas, most cars in use are imported scraps and of course I've never seen ONE SINGLE Made-In-Nigeria item in a mainline shop or store in the USA. On just these few points alone one is tempted to dismiss your whole post. What on earth is that about?

Also the working Nigerians abroad send home $10 to $25 billion per year to the country. You can deny everything, you can belittle the diaspora all you want, but you can't deny that. There are many years where those remittances were higher than the BUDGET of the Federal Government of Nigeria, that's been true for the past 3 to 6 years for sure. Think about the implications of that reality. Not counting imported CASH, that's just recorded remittance. It doesn't matter if it's earned from business or employment, they're doing it. They build houses and ship in cars and even clothing and food. Still they're denigrated with FALSEHOODS by the home based beneficiaries of their largesse. Why? grin

And I've taken the time to ask a few Asians I worked with, the thing about collective self help among Asians is a MYTH to ascribe them some sort of unfair advantage.

I suppose details matter, but one has to ask in the final analysis - does the AVERAGE Nigerian living in the UK have a lower standard of living than the AVERAGE Nigerian living in Nigeria? That's the END POINT comparison that matters. The rest of it is fluffy individual opinion.

I've visited the UK and other European countries MANY times over the past 30 years and ALL the Nigerians I know are doing OK, they live in decent houses, drive good cars and eat well. I was a house guest on some of those visits and I saw nothing that indicates they would be doing better in Nigeria. None of them begged me for money, they all seemed to be self sufficient. Whenever I visit Nigeria even RICH people are constantly asking for one thing or the other. I cannot even contemplate visiting Nigeria without making sure I have a good air conditioned SUV in good working order. I needed no such arrangements in the UK even when I was there for 6 weeks. The contrast in living conditions between the two countries is stark.

In fact a few people I know in Europe have moved over to the USA from the UK and Italy over the years. At no time did any of them indicate to me that going back to Nigeria was an option. The living conditions of Nigerians in the UK is well known, there's no secret about it and there's NO EVIDENCE that the average Nigerian - even the average university graduate or semi-skilled person - can live better in Nigeria.

It's unfortunate that Nigerians have run down their country with bad choices, greed and a profound metaphysical psychosis. A relative of mine moved to the UK a few months ago. University graduate and unemployed in Nigeria for years, now has a job in the UK. That's one of the 30% unemployed persons finally getting some financial and psychological relief from penury and dependency. That is the kind of story that matters because one has to start somewhere first.

I understand the patriotic instinct, I understand the NEED to disparage Nigerians living abroad...sowing doubt among diasporans makes those stuck in Nigeria feel better about their own bleak prospects in the general COMPETITION with their mates abroad. It's galling to know you're jobless or making ₦‎150K salary when your university classmate in US/UK sends triple that amount home every month. So your response is to make fun of them, make them feel uncertain and uncomfortable. To understand why this is a FUTILE tactic, you have to think back. In the 1970s lots of Nigerians abroad returned home for good and raised their families. A MAJORITY of them fell into poverty. Many of their children are now back in the Anglo-West.

After the return of democracy in 1999, there was another surge of returnees. These ones learned the lessons of the 1970's and didn't completely uproot themselves. I was among that cohort. By 2012 it became clear that Nigeria was still a disaster zone. Right now in 2023, for well known reasons, no Nigerian residing abroad will take the chance of going back. So all the efforts to make us feel bad about our choices are FUTILE because we have 50 years of REAL RESULTS AND EXPERIENCE with which to make comparisons. Hope is not a life strategy!

All said and done, REALITY is what it is - Nigeria is a hell hole where over 99% of the population live a life of abject multi-dimensional poverty.

Cheers!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ifyluv23: 8:06pm On Apr 29, 2023
NnenaRita:

I applied for retail sales advisor.

The few ones I remember

why I want to work with EE
How to make a customer feel welcomed and relaxed in the store
How to handle an Irate customer
Then the lady asked me, my phone brand, I told her, she said I should sell the phone to her ( sales pitch)
She asked if a customer comes in to cancel a contract how will I handle such situation.

How do I handle negative feedback

These are the few I remember.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.