Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,881 members, 7,813,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (999) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1174819 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (996) (997) (998) (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tier4Dependant: 12:19pm On May 15, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
You are on point. I was paying £985 on my provisional license, immediately I passed and informed my insurance company, they added extra £900 making it £1895. I inquired why and was told I’m more at risk as a new driver cos I just passed, I then further asked who is more at risk between provisional and full license holder, their answer was that being a provisional license holder mean an experienced full license holder with at least 3 years of experience must be with you in a L labeled car when driving so you were not much at risk BUT now that you’ve passed your driving test, you would want to be driving alone hence the price… I just cancelled that their nonsense, used confused.com and got a deal of £1200…

Their wahala too much

Drove on international license for a year with a £1200 premium, after 1 year I switched to UK full licence (manual) and currently hold a 1 year NCD, now I pay about £750 for premium. Hopefully it goes further down by the time I have 2 years NCD
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Controlv: 12:27pm On May 15, 2023
ubom123:
Who has travelled with airmaroc from Nigeria to Heathrow? What is the experience like? Too many negative reviews about this airline online…

I used them sometime last year for a return trip to Lagos and I cannot fault their services. The flight went on as scheduled, although some of the airport agents at Cassablanca tried to extort people for not wearing facemask. The connecting flights are also prompt, about 1 hr layover if landing at Heathrow and about 20 mins if landing at Gatwick.

The only issue is they still use the regular 737 which is quite small and not so comfortable for such long trip. But I didn't complain because I got what I paid for grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 1:07pm On May 15, 2023
Page 999

Buying apartment here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Intrepidone(m): 1:32pm On May 15, 2023
Hello Elders, and Sages in the house,
I have being trying to apply for my provincial driving licence through the gov.uk official page, but it keeps redirecting me to another page that has also refused to function.

Does anyone no the correct website please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:35pm On May 15, 2023
Intrepidone:
I have being trying to apply for my provincial driving licence through the gov.uk official page, but it keeps redirecting me to another page that has also refused to function.

This is the only website...... Any other is a scam site ....

https://apply-provisional-driving-licence.service.gov.uk/eligibility/capture_current_country?locale=en

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:36pm On May 15, 2023
Temi231:
Page 999

Buying apartment here

I dey kitchen, dey wait you ......😜😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 1:45pm On May 15, 2023
Who has flown Egyptair recently here? I hope I have no surprises.

Meanwhile it appears airlines have reverted to 634/$ as exchange rate.

What kind of gifts would you buy for village people abeg?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 1:57pm On May 15, 2023
hi hi, pls does a baby without a Nigerian passport require NIN?

The whole process is confusing as there is a new site https://immigration.gov.ng for the Nigerian passport application as the other one https://portal.immigration.gov.ng was stopped on the 7th of May 2023.

There is a mandatory NIN field for baby.. which is surprising.

I'm trying to renew my Nigerian passport and apply a fresh for baby

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 2:10pm On May 15, 2023
Unfortunately it's a requirement

profemebee:
hi hi, pls does a baby without a Nigerian passport require NIN?

The whole process is confusing as there is a new site https://immigration.gov.ng for the Nigerian passport application as the other one https://portal.immigration.gov.ng was stopped on the 7th of May 2023.

There is a mandatory NIN field for baby.. which is surprising.

I'm trying to renew my Nigerian passport and apply a fresh for baby

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 2:10pm On May 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I dey kitchen, dey wait you ......😜😁

Kikikikiki…. Food is ready
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 2:15pm On May 15, 2023
stressful.. thanks for confirming
Bourne007:
Unfortunately it's a requirement

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Intrepidone(m): 2:32pm On May 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

This is the only website...... Any other is a scam site ....

https://apply-provisional-driving-licence.service.gov.uk/eligibility/capture_current_country?locale=en

Thank you for the swift response.🙂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 15, 2023
Was doing some work research and found this in the Hansard - a very interesting debate in the House of Commons on the subject of No Recourse to Public funds. Incidentally, it also touches on the subject of people using appeals to try to extend their stays - 'dribbling the system', as one MP put it.

Looks like there were plans (or at least ideas) to loosen the rules under BJ.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2023-05-11/debates/DC92333D-0732-466B-AF3A-911EFFE92D29/NoRecourseToPublicFunds

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:19pm On May 15, 2023
koonbey:
Was doing some work research and found this in the Hansard - a very interesting debate in the House of Commons on the subject of No Recourse to Public funds. Incidentally, it also touches on the subject of people using appeals to try to extend their stays - 'dribbling the system', as one MP put it.

Looks like there were plans (or at least ideas) to loosen the rules under BJ.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2023-05-11/debates/DC92333D-0732-466B-AF3A-911EFFE92D29/NoRecourseToPublicFunds

We don't want their public funds

They should reduce their LR time, time spent on a student visa should also count towards needed 5 yrs to ILR and they should also just make graduates able to remain without sponsorship

Shikena

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 4:22pm On May 15, 2023
hustla:

We don't want their public funds

They should reduce their LR time, time spent on a student visa should also count towards needed 5 yrs to ILR and they should also just make graduates able to remain without sponsorship

Shikena

Gbam!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:31pm On May 15, 2023
Akorkor:

Gbam!!

They want to disguise like we don't know they won't grant access to public funds

They're just losing skilled workers to the hands of care work with the sponsorship thing. Those who are tired will pack up and goto another country

Page 1,000 is almost here

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:46pm On May 15, 2023
As we de enter Page 1000 so ....abeg use my referral link https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/tEMItOhbvx?XL=MNANS for BA AMEX Credit Card to build your credit history sharply cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:52pm On May 15, 2023
Be like Canada de your mind cheesy cheesy

Intrepidone:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:11pm On May 15, 2023
Page 1000 yet?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 5:25pm On May 15, 2023
rinzylee:
Meanwhile it appears airlines have reverted to 634/$ as exchange rate.What kind of gifts would you buy for village people abeg?
bad experience with egypt air… also they see Nigerians as shite. If u have other options consider them. My candid opinion

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:28pm On May 15, 2023
kiss kiss kiss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:29pm On May 15, 2023
@fatima04

Abeg help us with a new part of this thread
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 5:35pm On May 15, 2023
They now use Airbus. Flew with them Dec/Jan. @OP, Although, my flight was delayed for about 12hours and further delay at Casablanca (I will consider it a one-off). However, if you are not flying direct , RAM is your best option considering cost and duration.
The only issue is they still use the regular 737 which is quite small and not so comfortable for such long trip. But I didn't complain because I got what I paid for grin grin[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 5:37pm On May 15, 2023
justwise:
@fatima04

Abeg help us with a new part of this thread

Lai lai o, we must enter 1000!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Intrepidone(m): 5:54pm On May 15, 2023
bigtt76:
Be like Canada de your mind cheesy cheesy

my sister wettin person wan do know. grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 5:56pm On May 15, 2023
Na this thread carry me come UK to come pack
Sh!t. If not I for still dey sleep for middle of sea dey find crude oil. Pun intended. cheesy grin

I am still very grateful for the opportunity to japa as after endsars, my body spirit and soul left naija. We meuve, still gona bag the mula and climb up the job ladder as I dey continually equip myself with more Knowledge and certs for my future executive roles, all thanks to this forum. Rome they say wasn't built in a day. If we can manage to survive in naija and grow our careers with all the nepotism, ethnic bigotry, and government inadequacies, then we can also thrive in a saner clime irrespective of our humble start. While we are motivated to go for the £80k jobs love and rushed by the british, dont put unnecessary pressure on your self and look down on your hustle. We shall all get there. Life no be competition. I look at my kids everyday and I feel blessed to bring them up in a saner clime.

To everyone who have contributed and shared their experiences and knowledge to help others, God will continue to help you and your family in Jesus name. Amen.

Thanks once again for the creators and sustainers of this inspiring, informative and wonderful thread. #Shalom

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LionInZion: 6:10pm On May 15, 2023
rinzylee:

Meanwhile it appears airlines have reverted to 634/$ as exchange rate.

What kind of gifts would you buy for village people abeg?

I used them December last year, and I pray never to be in a situation to use them again. Long delay in Lagos and in Cairo. And after landing at Heathrow over one hour later, still waiting for our luggage. I had to pay extra £35 to the taxi company I pre booked, because I really really delayed them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:17pm On May 15, 2023
Solumtoya:

grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LionInZion: 6:20pm On May 15, 2023
Solumtoya:

Seconded smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 6:58pm On May 15, 2023
LionInZion:

I used them December last year, and I pray never to be in a situation to use them again. Long delay in Lagos and in Cairo. And after landing at Heathrow over one hour later, still waiting for our luggage. I had to pay extra £35 to the taxi company I pre booked, because I really really delayed them.

Wow..... now I'm scared o. Dear Lord save me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iyatrustee(f): 7:03pm On May 15, 2023
This is the last post before the 1000th page cheesy

......I hope

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (996) (997) (998) (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.