Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (1000) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1175741 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (997) (998) (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by samsmokey: 7:22pm On May 15, 2023
Na me carry am enter 1000
iyatrustee:
This is the last post before the 1000th page cheesy

......I hope
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Icesnow(f): 7:24pm On May 15, 2023
Jlaw1:

I really didn't want to stretch our very polite debate, hence the reason for my initial cheeky response.

However, after reading the hypothetical stats in your post, I couldn't resist the temptation of one FINAL reply on this subject matter.

I came into the UK for a teacher training program. Before the end of the program, I and all nine of my Nigerian cohorts all got sponsored teaching jobs. That's 100% of us.

In that same year, I was acquainted with about 11 Nigerian/African students in Church (please note, I'm no Church boy), who were studying different courses in IT, Engineering and Health. 8 of them got sponsored jobs before the end of their programs. That's north of 70%. This made me encourage my brother to come into the UK on a study Visa last year and he too has gotten a sponsored role (and he hasn't even finished his program yet).

This has been my personal experience. I'm not as familiar with the experiences of the "big industry" boys as you are, so it's possible there are things you know that I don't. Anyways, I'm sure that there are nuggets of truth in what both you and I, and everyone else has written. Perhaps, therin lies the beauty of this thread.

I do agree with you on one thing. Becoming successful in getting one's preferred sponsored job should never make one believe that it should/must be easy for everyone else. Our life paths are not always the same.
How can I switch career as a teacher and how do I get the sponsored jobs pls?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by domin8(f): 7:57pm On May 15, 2023
I think it works out cheaper to use the Nigerian (International ) License first before Switching to the Full License than using the Provisional.

For me, it was also about £1200 for the 1st year and Subsequent year was about £630 (I did the automatic test and also pass plus cheesy). Pass plus will give you some discount but check with the insurer first.

Tier4Dependant:

Drove on international license for a year with a £1200 premium, after 1 year I switched to UK full licence (manual) and currently hold a 1 year NCD, now I pay about £750 for premium. Hopefully it goes further down by the time I have 2 years NCD

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 8:04pm On May 15, 2023
Make i put my benchmark here in page 1000
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 8:38pm On May 15, 2023
May God bless our huzzle .

Page 1000 on the beat

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:40pm On May 15, 2023
It seems insurance price depends on the type of car someone drives too… Is insurance price the same for all cars? Cos I remembered when I was using Lexus IS230, I was paying £160 monthly, switched to BMW series 1 then tax became £30 for a year then insurance got reduced to £92.8 or something a month… The same can’t be said for those using 2020 and up Audi, Benz or BMW
domin8:
I think it works out cheaper to use the Nigerian (International ) License first before Switching to the Full License than using the Provisional.

For me, it was also about £1200 for the 1st year and Subsequent year was about £630 (I did the automatic test and also pass plus cheesy). Pass plus will give you some discount but check with the insurer first.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Contra5(f): 8:52pm On May 15, 2023
I think your provisional might be cost-effective if you are hoping to save some money. They'd expect that you would always have an experienced driver with you when driving. My premium with provisional licence was £553 and it increased by £222 when I passed.

Tinyemeka:
Dear ancestors in the house,

Good day.

I want to apply for car insurance and would like to know which is more cost-effective: whether to buy the insurance with my International driving permit or to first apply for a UK provisional license.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LionInZion: 8:57pm On May 15, 2023
rinzylee:

Wow..... now I'm scared o. Dear Lord save me.

Lol. Well, you might have a better experience. But I will suggest you try other alternatives if you still can.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:16pm On May 15, 2023
Make Lexusgs430 share £1,000 for this page na grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:17pm On May 15, 2023
hustla:
Make Lexusgs430 share £1,000 for this page na grin

Oya send your £ account, I got ₦1000 to credit you........ 😝

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 9:18pm On May 15, 2023
I don DM ooo 🤣🤣🤣

Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:22pm On May 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

embarassed angry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:22pm On May 15, 2023
bigtt76:
I don DM ooo 🤣🤣🤣

Wickedness angry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 9:32pm On May 15, 2023
LionInZion:

Lol. Well, you might have a better experience. But I will suggest you try other alternatives if you still can.

Already booked and paid for.

My friend had a great experience last May or so.

He was even lodged in a hotel and picked up in the morning.

I believe I'd have a great flight

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Contra5(f): 9:50pm On May 15, 2023
@Aphrodite007, @Lagosismyhome, @heroshark.

Thank you for bringing up this convo about PSV and everything you said is valid. However, there are many layers to it and I have questions
@aphrodite007 - are these people getting good jobs, but not with sponsorship or they are not getting jobs at all?  I asked because there were so many jobs and not enough people to do it as of January and that dwindled as the fin year ended.  If they had a "good enough" job, and performing why would any sensible HR let them go knowing they would spend more to backfill the role?

As an aside, on the issue of "big boys" in Nigeria - sometimes 'big boy' can make things clumsy. I saw the CV of two of my husband's friends - I wouldn't interview them with that CV tbh. They had loads of experience and had everything on their CVs. I got a headache from reading the 4 pages CV. CV got revamped, one got a job 2 weeks after and the other has been getting calls and now interviewing.'

@heroshark raised some valid points about upskilling, preparedness etc. There are lot of students around me and many of them got sponsorship whilst my brother is in a care job. A lady whom I accommodated interviewed with a lot of big firms but didn't pass their interviews. We all know there is a lot to interviews beyond skills. From day one, she knew what she wanted and went for it - it was a matter of time. She eventually got sponsored by NHS.

Whilst I am helping other people rewrite cvs, prep for interviews, upskill and motivate them, I have never seen my brother's cv or heard him say he has an interview somewhere. Even though he studied a lucrative course - add a bit of Excel proficiency, and SQL for beginners, the guy will be hotcake but I have realised not everyone is driven.

I told a guy to send me his cv and portfolio so I can refer him to recruiters especially the ones interested in black/minorities. The guy hasn't come back till date.

I have met people who got sponsored jobs before they finished uni. I can go on and on.

There is luck/grace and whatnot but there is something the 5% are doing that the 95% are not doing. I have seen it over and over again. It takes dedication and grit and not everyone has it. I may be wrong - happy to learn because the tuition fee my brother paid still dey pepper me.

21 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Progressivegee: 10:08pm On May 15, 2023
Make I register here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LionInZion: 10:14pm On May 15, 2023
rinzylee:

Already booked and paid for.

My friend had a great experience last May or so.

He was even lodged in a hotel and picked up in the morning.

I believe I'd have a great flight

Oh, I didn't know you'd already booked. Sure you might have a great experience. Wishing you a safe and fun filled trip. Remember to bring kulikuli for us o smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SPDAZZY(f): 10:24pm On May 15, 2023
Contra5:
@Aphrodite007, @Lagosismyhome, @heroshark.

Thank you for bringing up this convo about PSV and everything you said is valid. However, there are many layers to it and I have questions
@aphrodite007 - are these people getting good jobs, but not with sponsorship or they are not getting jobs at all?  I asked because there were so many jobs and not enough people to do it as of January and that dwindled as the fin year ended.  If they had a "good enough" job, and performing why would any sensible HR let them go knowing they would spend more to backfill the role?

As an aside, on the issue of "big boys" in Nigeria - sometimes 'big boy' can make things clumsy. I saw the CV of two of my husband's friends - I wouldn't interview them with that CV tbh. They had loads of experience and had everything on their CVs. I got a headache from reading the 4 pages CV. CV got revamped, one got a job 2 weeks after and the other has been getting calls and now interviewing.'

@heroshark raised some valid points about upskilling, preparedness etc. There are lot of students around me and many of them got sponsorship whilst my brother is in a care job. A lady whom I accommodated interviewed with a lot of big firms but didn't pass their interviews. We all know there is a lot to interviews beyond skills. From day one, she knew what she wanted and went for it - it was a matter of time. She eventually got sponsored by NHS.

Whilst I am helping other people rewrite cvs, prep for interviews, upskill and motivate them, I have never seen my brother's cv or heard him say he has an interview somewhere. Even though he studied a lucrative course - add a bit of Excel proficiency, and SQL for beginners, the guy will be hotcake but I have realised not everyone is driven.

I told a guy to send me his cv and portfolio so I can refer him to recruiters especially the ones interested in black/minorities. The guy hasn't come back till date.

I have met people who got sponsored jobs before they finished uni. I can go on and on.

There is luck/grace and whatnot but there is something the 5% are doing that the 95% are not doing. I have seen it over and over again. It takes dedication and grit and not everyone has it. I may be wrong - happy to learn because the tuition fee my brother paid still dey pepper me.

Can you do the CV revamp for my spouse? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 10:32pm On May 15, 2023
Good evening guys,

Quick one please, is an employer required to demand sick note for just one day leave considering the person has been overstressed and doesn't want to put her clients at risk. I mean not being in optimal condition to carry out duty effective?

Because going through gov.uk and other websites, one doesn't require to show it unless you are off work for 5 working days/1 week.

The employer is just trying to prove difficult because the person is question said she can't make it for work the following next due to work and exam stress.

How can one get sick leave (self certified) or what else can be done?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rinzylee(m): 10:40pm On May 15, 2023
LionInZion:

Oh, I didn't know you'd already booked. Sure you might have a great experience. Wishing you a safe and fun filled trip. Remember to bring kulikuli for us o smiley

Amen o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by eniola1010(m): 10:42pm On May 15, 2023
Opsops:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate.

U no see him username. Before u ask the question self u suppose done tag am
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mindlog: 10:46pm On May 15, 2023
hustla:

embarassed angry

Dem say make you drop account details, you dey squeeze face.😆😆
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:48pm On May 15, 2023
Mindlog:

Dem say make you drop account details, you dey squeeze face.😆😆

Na whine naw grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mindlog: 10:48pm On May 15, 2023
hustla:

Na whine naw grin

😆😆😆😆😆
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LionInZion: 10:50pm On May 15, 2023
hustla:

Na whine naw grin

O ye of little faith cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Famocious(m): 10:58pm On May 15, 2023
cool Page 1000
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Thegamingorca(m): 11:03pm On May 15, 2023
rinzylee:
Who has flown Egyptair recently here? I hope I have no surprises.

Meanwhile it appears airlines have reverted to 634/$ as exchange rate.

What kind of gifts would you buy for village people abeg?

Really shocked

Just checked* only Egypt air is feeling overtly generous grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:07pm On May 15, 2023
GPs will only give sick notes for sickness 7 days and over. If you want for less than 7 days, i think that comes at a cost.
Self certification is just you letting your employer know that you're sick and unable to come to work while complying with their policy on reporting sickness - some have forms for you to fill while others will take your word for it.
Some will have you fill out a form upon your return to work so you'd need to find out what the process is with your employer.
You can also download the self-certification form online and complete it if that is what your employer wants =>> https://www.google.com/search?q=self+certification+form&oq=self&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i65l2j46i199i433i465i512j0i67i131i433i650j0i67i650j0i131i433i512j0i20i131i263i433i512j0i512.1985j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1
OmichaelO:
Good evening guys,

Quick one please, is an employer required to demand sick note for just one day leave considering the person has been overstressed and doesn't want to put her clients at risk. I mean not being in optimal condition to carry out duty effective?

Because going through gov.uk and other websites, one doesn't require to show it unless you are off work for 5 working days/1 week.

The employer is just trying to prove difficult because the person is question said she can't make it for work the following next due to work and exam stress.

How can one get sick leave (self certified) or what else can be done?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by OmichaelO: 11:11pm On May 15, 2023
mimilyrics:
GPs will only give sick notes for sickness 7 days and over. If you want for less than 7 days, i think that comes at a cost.
Self certification is just you letting your employer know that you're sick and unable to come to work while complying with their policy on reporting sickness - some have forms for you to fill while others will take your word for it.
Some will have you fill out a form upon your return to work so you'd need to find out what the process is with your employer.
You can also download the self-certification form online and complete it if that is what your employer wants =>> https://www.google.com/search?q=self+certification+form&oq=self&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i65l2j46i199i433i465i512j0i67i131i433i650j0i67i650j0i131i433i512j0i20i131i263i433i512j0i512.1985j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1
Thank you so much

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 11:25pm On May 15, 2023
I was here………….. grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 11:26pm On May 15, 2023
hustla:

They want to disguise like we don't know they won't grant access to public funds

They're just losing skilled workers to the hands of care work with the sponsorship thing. Those who are tired will pack up and goto another country

Page 1,000 is almost here

smiley

Don’t mind them. Yeye policy everywhere. We go survive sha. They are losing their medical team to Australia now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hkana: 11:58pm On May 15, 2023
Contra5:
...happy to learn...

May I DM, please?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (997) (998) (999) (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.