Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,306 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! (10973 Views)

Jigawa Corpers Take Lassa-Fever Sensitizations To Rural Community (Photos) / Platoon 3, NYSC DELTA Lost Three Gems. / NYSC: Corpers Nationwide Angry Over Incomplete Payment Of Election Allowance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by francisj(m): 9:16am On May 23, 2011
just2nice:

The attacks on corpers serving in the North reared up its ugly head again with the attack of 3 corpers serving in Jigawa state.I lived with these 3 attacked corpers in the same lodge here in Garki(Jigawa state),and this was the account they narrated to me.

Yesterday(May 20th),3 of my fellow corpers serving in Garki,Jigawa went to Gumel,also in Jigawa, to make cash withdrawals and also grab some drinks at a local bar.On their way back,around 5 p.m, they flagged down a vechicle to take them back to Garki,where we serve. As they were going,they have barely left the Gumel local government boundary when suddenly,the driver veered off sharply into a rustic village and stopped in the village square.He alighted  and started shouting in Hausa that the 3 corpers were thieves and that they wanted to steal his vechicle.

The next thing my fellow corpers knew,the people of the villagers have brought out machetes,cutlasses and axes to lynch them but luckily for the corpers,they quickly reacted and took to their heels.They ran to the highway that led from Hadeija--Kano and just when they thought they were safe,the driver who agitated the villagers carried some of the villagers armed with axes and cutlasses and started pursuing them on his vechicle.
When the corpers saw that these villagers were hell-bent on lynching them,they risked their lives and ran into the highway,flagging vechicles to help them.

Fortunately,some indigenes of Garki, where we are serving,now saw the corpers and came to their rescue.They were now holed up in a vechicle on the highway for about 35 minutes while the good Samaritans held them off. Inspite of the efforts of these helpers,one of the corpers had his head cracked open by a big stone that was thrown from the back of the vechicle while another narrowly escaped being amputated by a flying axe that luckily for him,the sharp head broke off in flight and only the handle of the axe struck him hard in the back.The police later came and took them to the police station in Gumel,but not after the three boys had been beaten with sticks and planks.

There, in the police station, they were initially handcuffed and stripped to their shorts before NYSC officials in Gumel now came and rescued them.The driver of the vechicle,who started the trouble,was now feigning mental instability and the police were corrobating him that he had mental problems.

My friends finally arrived in our lodge at  about 11 p.m.And to think  I wanted to follow them to that Gumel town yesterday! I am a Batch 'B' corper,and I can't wait to be done with the North by June 16th when I am passing out.

I  am typing this report from my mobile phone;that is why it is brief.Will provide a more detailed report later,when I get on my laptop.
I believe your story cos your description of jagawa is o.k which I happen to know wella ,I will only advise you and ur corp friends to watch out next time your are going for a 'drink" which I guess is 'boost '(alcohol).I advise if possible arrange 4  your own ride that will take your to your base ,you guys are corpers so use ur head, when your are almost drunk and smelling boost ,because the typical, ordinary,common Hausa/Fulani will only imagine rubbish when you smell 'boost'. Even the Police will not help  your friends if they are smelling 'boost'
Pls a little respect for an environment where 'boost' is publicly prohibited,though secretly consumed  by some of those same people that denounces publicly.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by dustydee: 9:20am On May 23, 2011
just2nice:

Fortunately,some indigenes of Garki, where we are serving,now saw the corpers and came to their rescue.They were now holed up in a vechicle on the highway for about 35 minutes while the good Samaritans held them off. Inspite of the efforts of these helpers,one of the corpers had his head cracked open by a big stone that was thrown from the back of the vechicle while another narrowly escaped being amputated by a flying axe that luckily for him,the sharp head broke off in flight and only the handle of the axe struck him hard in the back.The police later came and took them to the police station in Gumel,but not after the three boys had been beaten with sticks and planks.
indeed!
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by realokans: 9:21am On May 23, 2011
THis is bad.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by Akainzo(m): 9:21am On May 23, 2011
chuksme:

Who is this 13volts are you an Aboki man? i know people like you are the type of people that shed innocent blood for no reason.Look at the example you presented on a corper that was attacked by Armed robber Imo state. what connects that with the posters post. anybody could be a victim  of  an Arm robber.

@Chuksme, not everyone that has a contrary view is an Aboki man! He simply pointed out the shortfall in the story, if you have proof against what he pointed out, then share them. No need to get emotional.

To me it's simple: Were they attacked because they were corpers?  Were they waearing their corper attires? No where in the story did the driver shout that they would be dealt with because they were corpers. This could have been a random attack that simply had the victims as corpers.

By the way, your friends must be representing Nigeria, seeing as they could outrun moving vehicles!
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by zenus(m): 9:29am On May 23, 2011
That could have been the end of my services.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by tboy1(m): 9:37am On May 23, 2011
SMDH. How the govt still allow this nysc scam to go is still shocking
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by Abimbola29(m): 9:39am On May 23, 2011
Pls i will like to post a new topic but dont know how to do it,any 1 dat can help plsss
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by 1soul(m): 9:50am On May 23, 2011
40 years is enough time to test any experiment, and that of promoting national unity through NYSC program has failed to live up to its expectations, the purpose and goal of the program has long been defeated. In some places corpers are seen as negative influence especially in those core northern locations where the islamic extremists dwell. May be the ladies posted in those areas should start wearing long ground-sweeping skirts so they don't look offensive and the guys stop cuddling their girls in public, Rubbish! NYSC is a waste of time jare, Lets go back to the old regional system of government, that's the only solution to Nigeria's problem else we're sitting on a time bomb and fast approaching a rock. Our antecedent has shown beyond reasonable doubt that we are not one, The pot has meltedand yet our difference is even more glaring to see than it has ever been. I love the illusion called nigeria but we all have to face reality, how can u explain this, my dad was born in Kano lived all his life their, had so many investments their which employed about 164 of their people, still they had the nerve to burn down his company in 2004, this is a man they have absorbed as one of them, up to the extent of giving him a stake under the hakimi of Kumbotso as Sarkin-Kabilu, Nigeria my foot!
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by congoshine(m): 10:28am On May 23, 2011
I said it before - Mallam no get brain cry cry cry

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-652856.0.html
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by MMM2(m): 10:33am On May 23, 2011
thank GOD dey did die,
all dis bas-tard (muslim, northen) need 2 die.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by playahP(m): 10:36am On May 23, 2011
WHERE IS THE LINK, THIS IS SCAM, FICKING SCAM
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by 1soul(m): 10:45am On May 23, 2011
All this happenings are bases for drawing inference whether this project called Nigeria will continue or collapse as earlier predicted. You don't need a good statistics student to know the possible outcome. I still feel it will be very difficult for any country with the type of Nigeria's population ratio as regards religious difference to survive, especially when fanatism and extremism is involved. The complexity is its political undertone as the masses are so blind to separate the two, it becomes their opium clouding their rational sense of judgement. When their predecessors who knew the truth that religion is only used as a tool to control their minds are dead, it becomes a way of life for them without any hope of cure, Meaning things will get worst and more killings are on the way.

THE NORTH IS AN ISLAMIC REPUBLIC STUCK IN NIGERIA FOR WHAT THE CRUDE-OIL COULD OFFER!

I advice, if you have plans to still want to be in the NORTH in the next 10-15 years, then start learning ARABIC language, as soon all sign posts/boards will be written in arabic, if you want your product to sell as a producer, ARABTIZE the product name a little and make the advert/commercials in ARABIC. Am out!!!
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by omo9ja1(m): 10:52am On May 23, 2011
I disagree with the option to crap NYSC, make them to serve in their own community rather posting to North from south.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by atasteve: 10:54am On May 23, 2011
@Just2nice, Post your story on this facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/reformNYSC

We need to keep on creating awareness so that this evil can stop.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by 3kay945(m): 11:26am On May 23, 2011
nigeria and backwardness so some corpers are still in the north a place synonymous to hell. i thought all the states withdrew their corpers
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by 1soul(m): 11:36am On May 23, 2011
If everyone is made to serve in his place/locality, then show me the one Nigeria. Our leaders are so hypocrically blind while the masses dance to their drum beats of deceit, What more proof do you need when it's even easier for you as a nigerian to become 100% assimilated as a Canadian citizen than becoming an indigene in Kano where you were born and bred. When the masses resort to staying back in their own localities for fear of been lynched by their fellow country men and the centre still holds, then its a sign that we are just a pond in the game of our leaders, Naija don fail !
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by tboy1(m): 11:54am On May 23, 2011
omo9ja1:

I disagree with the option to crap NYSC, make them to serve in their own community rather posting to North from south.

If tsiga and his predecessors did not steal so much from NYSC, it would be scrapped long time ago
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by rully2: 12:03pm On May 23, 2011
I dont understand what corpers are still doing in the northern states, with all the violence??

Everyone should be made to serve in his own state, why are corpers being posted to far away north lately??, I dont understand!!
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by HamidO1(m): 12:07pm On May 23, 2011
Just wondering how safe it is to wear the NYSC uniform on the streets. Corpers beware, your security is in your hands. You've stepped on a lot of toes by doing a thorough job during the just concluded elections.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by hakanai(m): 12:10pm On May 23, 2011
WE don hear jare!!!!! Haba,so how come other Hausas came to rescue them?were they identified as corpers?Who amongst you accertain the mental state of the Driver? Always jumping into hate mode and sentiment driven conclusions!!!!
Since the driver is in custody.Things have being made easy.get a lawyer or whatever to ensure the man is charged to court.shikaina!rather than spewing your long aged rotten resentments all over!
undecided shocked shocked

OKay please split the God damn country already!!!!!
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by JAZES(m): 12:23pm On May 23, 2011
Make dem just scrap dis nonsense NYSC jor.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by 9jarocks(m): 12:46pm On May 23, 2011
Same o'l shit everyday,
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by maankind(m): 12:55pm On May 23, 2011
wat kind of a person are some northerners, we ve illiterates too in other region , why are others reasonable than dem pls i need to know
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by texazzpete(m): 1:33pm On May 23, 2011
maankind:

wat kind of a person are some northerners, we ve illiterates too in other region , why are others reasonable than dem pls i need to know

If you're referring to the attempted murder of alleged thieves by illiterates, i can assure you that this happens in Lagos, Onitsha, Umuahia, Aba or practically every rural setting in Nigeria where someone raises that alarm.

As far as i see, there is no concrete evidence that those three people were attacked because they were corps members. There is no concrete evidence to disprove the claims that the driver is mentally unstable.

This is Nairaland's mob mentality at work. angry
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by just2nice(m): 2:09pm On May 23, 2011
Seun, thanks for pinning this thread on the front page.The fact is that not all news-worthy events are reported in the media.This incident is one of them,and I feel Nigerians ought to know why these my 3 friends/corpers narrowly escaped death here.It could have turned fatal ,but we thank God that they are still alive and will be with their loved ones by June(that is when they will be passing out).

playah P:

I said earlier that media coverage of Jigawa state is poor,and it didn't happen in Dutse,Jigawa state capital, where most media houses send their journalists in Jigawa to report in.
Like I said,this is kinda like a citizen's report,and it actually happened. I have no gains spreading fictious and malicious reports,especially considering the precarious security situation in the North.
texazzpete:

There is no credible proof that this was a premeditated attack on CORPS MEMBERS and not on 3 strangers who the villagers took to be thieves.
Let us learn to separate our emotions from our ability to employ logical reasoning. In many other cities in the South, you will be lynched to death if someone identifies you as a thief. It happens in Lagos, Benin, Onitsha, Abia etc.

I feel for your friends though. were they wearing their NYSC uniforms?

No.This part of Jigawa state has been hitherto peaceful,and nobody envisaged something like this happening.Besides,wearing corper's uniform could even make you a target in the North; so, we are very wary.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by tit(f): 2:57pm On May 23, 2011
lynching of suspected criminals is 'commonplace' in big cities.
lynching of suspected criminals is rare in small towns and villages.
you usually do not find people experienced in lynchings and predisposed to lynching in such places.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by bonna4u(m): 3:08pm On May 23, 2011
playah P:

he said it happened to his colleagues.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by 13volts(m): 3:53pm On May 23, 2011
i still maintain my fact corp members are not seen as target in the north. the case under discussion is an isolated event. am in jigawa and constantly moving from different part of the norrh., only in bauchi you dont see youth corpers, all other places they walk around without molestation. as i just said in my other post a serving youth corp member just graciously accepted employment offer from jigawa state ministry of education. if these 3 corp members are real target in garki, i bet they would not last a day. after the regreatable and demonic actions of some misguided elements leading to the death of 10 youth corp members, this is the first time any alledged report of sort of intimidation or physical attack is reported against youth corp members in the entire north. before the election, corp members move freely all over the north, here in dutse corp members go about thier business without any fear. samething i witness also in kano.
@poster. i understand ur plight in having to stay in a rural area such as garki, but you dont have to paint an exsergerated horrible pix of the wrost case senario just ve ur self repatraited
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by Efehiaea(f): 4:23pm On May 23, 2011
An almajirin stole a friend's phone in katsina. After he was found guilty, he was given ONLY 5 strokes of the cane. Even when a northern thief is found guilty, his purnishment is not close to using the axe to cut his head
My point is this, the corps member went through that ordeal cos they wer foreigners n cudnt speak the language to defend themselves. Thus as long as u are not serving in ur region, u'r exposed to great danger.
I dont blame these hausa's, when they ought to even worship corppers n protect them, they kill them. If not for NYSC, even in the next 10yrs they will never have SOUND graduate teachers
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by texazzpete(m): 5:07pm On May 23, 2011
Efehiaea:

An almajirin stole a friend's phone in katsina. After he was found guilty, he was given ONLY 5 strokes of the cane. Even when a northern thief is found guilty, his purnishment is not close to using the axe to cut his head
My point is this, the corps member went through that ordeal cos they wer foreigners n cudnt speak the language to defend themselves. Thus as long as u are not serving in your region, u'r exposed to great danger.
I dont blame these hausa's, when they ought to even worship corppers n protect them, they kill them. If not for NYSC, even in the next 10yrs they will never have SOUND graduate teachers

Here's some common sense for you;

1. Katsina is not Jigawa
2. Not everyone who is a Northern muslim thinks exactly the same. Just because someone got away with 5 strokes of the cane doesn't mean that in EVERY village in the North they'd get away lightly. You will most certainly be burnt to death if you steal in some markets in Lagos and Aba. I doubt you'd be burnt if you stole in Benin's Oba market.

What even makes your contribution more surprising is that we all know of mallam jangedi whose arm was amputated on orders of a Sharia court for stealing cows. He is muslim and speaks Hausa fluently. So much for your theory.
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by JUO(m): 5:10pm On May 23, 2011
thank God
Re: 3 NYSC Corpers Attacked In Jigawa State; Unprovoked Aggression! by Nobody: 5:14pm On May 23, 2011
@Just2nice,longtime no hear.well,av read a lot of ur stuff b4,mostly in d browsing/technology area.u're a smart guy.just saying it for guys who doubt u.am serving in Ebonyi myself,batch 'B', n i can tell its just plain hate from Northerners.d muslim guys here,many of whom r my friends,live in relative peace n comfort.@texazpette n 13volts,u guys are just foolish,trying to rationalize if the driver is insane.u think this is some fancy stuff?am in Abuja now for a short break n i can tell u that if u dont speak their friggin language here in the north,hmmm,problem! I understand that there are educated Northerners but the rest are edgy by nature n quick to take up arms.or u think there werent Northern corpers manning polling units here in the East?they didnt get scratched. And who the hell is sentimental?inshort,have u guys been through the NYSC programme and where?y'all aint got nothing productive to say so go get a life!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help 2012 Batch A Copers Locate Their Orientation Camps. / How Corpers and Ex-Copers Can Get 3-10million Loan Grant-sterling Bank / N19,000 Wont Be Enough So Get More Pay As A Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.