Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,312 members, 7,842,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. (301 Views)

The Day A Runs Girl Met Her Lord / The Day A Wizkid Met His Lord / Sabbath Holy-day. A day of selfless services & doing what pleases GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by delzbaba(m): 7:35am On Aug 29, 2021
Good morning christians in the house, i observed that my new neighbours attend service on saturdays and not Sundays on further enquiries i discovered they attend a Sabath church i don't really know the full name of the church. Also with my little knowledge of the Bible i know christians are told the keep the sabath or 7th
day holy and for rest, now here is my question, if Sunday is the first day of the week, then Saturday is actually the real seventh or sabath day.
Can any theology inclined person here enlighten us?
Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by livingchrist: 7:58am On Aug 29, 2021
Everyday is a holy day, no day is more or less special than the other.
The ten commandment is just but a shadow of the real thing that has come which is christ.

3 Likes

Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by Bishopkingsley(m): 10:28am On Aug 29, 2021
Let no man judge you about sabbath day

Any day is acceptable to God

2 Likes

Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by Bishopkingsley(m): 10:29am On Aug 29, 2021
Colossians 2:16
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

New Living Translation
So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

1 Like

Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by Bishopkingsley(m): 10:30am On Aug 29, 2021
Romans 14:5 ►
One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

New Living Translation
In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable.

2 Likes

Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by Kobojunkie: 12:04pm On Aug 29, 2021
delzbaba:
Also with my little knowledge of the Bible i know christians are told the keep the sabath or 7th
day holy and for rest, now here is my question, if Sunday is the first day of the week, then Saturday is actually the real seventh or sabath day.
The answer to your question lies in knowing what makes a day Holy. undecided

Jesus Christ declared Himself the Lord of the Sabbath, but what did He mean by that? undecided
Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by Adamgeneral12: 1:06pm On Aug 29, 2021
Saturday, gbam!
Sunday God started
Friday He finish
Saturday He rested.
Any other brouhaha about this na lie

1 Like

Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by Splinz(m): 2:05pm On Aug 29, 2021
delzbaba:
if Sunday is the first day of the week, then Saturday is actually the real seventh or sabath day.

Fact. Also, it is a special day unlike others:
Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made (Genesis 2:3)

No other day in a week have such honours of blessings and sanctification, only the seventh-day which is Saturday. Furthermore, the blessings and sanctification of the Sabbath day is not something that was to last for a certain time and period, it is FOREVER. Here's also an interesting part of it. The Sabbath is a sign, seal or mark on God's people (Exodus 31:16-17). Does a certain mark called "mark of the beast" rings a bell? It should!

1 Like

Re: Which Day Is The Real Holy Day,a Religious Question. by Emusan(m): 4:09pm On Aug 29, 2021
I think this should be sufficient for you, though it's just a part of an article about BIBLICAL CONSUMMATION.

You can read the very insightful article HERE

delzbaba:
Good morning christians in the house, i observed that my new neighbours attend service on saturdays and not Sundays on further enquiries i discovered they attend a Sabath church i don't really know the full name of the church. Also with my little knowledge of the Bible i know christians are told the keep the sabath or 7th

Do not think that I have come to ABOLISH the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to ABOLISH them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Matthew 5:17-18

The Lord Jesus doesn’t abolish the Hebrew Bible, but perfectly fulfills it in his life and teachings. What the Lord Jesus was basically telling the people is that the Hebrew Bible was specifically revealed in such a way so as to find its true meaning and completion in the Messiah’s work and interpretation of it.

The Law and the Prophets are now subsumed and consummated in the Gospel of God’s kingdom as proclaimed in the life, ministry, death and resurrection of the King himself, the Lord Jesus.

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes." Romans 10:1-4

Christ is the focal point of the Law, the very One who consummates the Law as he brings it to its completion and fulfillment.

"Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith." Galatians 3:24

The Law was designed to lead us to Christ, its true fulfillment.

It is clear from the foregoing that the view of the New Testament(NT) writers is that the Hebrew Scriptures were deliberately designed by God to foreshadow Christ and his Church. The Old Testament(OT) Scriptures contained shadows, types, analogies, and copies of spiritual realities that awaited the coming of Christ. OT peoples, places, events and things were deliberately designed to be copies of a far greater spiritual reality, with Christ manifesting that reality through his fulfillment of it. The NT Scriptures are basically the record of how Christ unveiled the spiritual reality underlying the OT revelation:

Sabbath Observance

Old Testament Precedence

God had commanded the Israelites to observe a Sabbath day, to make the seventh day one of rest where they abstained from labor. This command made it even into the Ten Commandments, as the fourth one (cf. Exod 20:8 ). God based this model of rest on the fact that he too had stopped his work of creation on the seventh day since it had been completed:

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation." Genesis 2:1-3

"You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a SIGN between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you. You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. It is a SIGN FOREVER between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’" Exodus 31:13-17

Consummation in the New Testament

Israel’s Sabbath observance, which was modeled after God’s own Sabbath, was intended to point to a greater spiritual rest. Just as God had rested from his work of creation and entered into an eternal Sabbath, a day which continues for all eternity, believers are to rest from trying to merit their righteousness through observing the Law and trust in Christ’s perfect righteousness. Once a believer truly trusts in the Lord Jesus he enters into God’s own Sabbath whereby he no longer has to merit his justification since he has been given the promise of eternal life:

"Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For the Gospel came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, ‘As I swore in my wrath, "They shall not enter my rest,"’ although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: ‘And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.’ And again in this passage he said, ‘They shall not enter my rest.’ Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the Gospel failed to enter because of disobedience, again he appoints a certain day, ‘Today,’ saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, ‘Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.’ For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever HAS ENTERED GOD'S REST has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience." Hebrews 4:1-11

Again, since the reality has come:

"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ." Colossians 2:16-17

As Christ himself taught:

"And he said to them, ‘The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath; so the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath.’" Mark 2:27-28

Why would anyone want to return to the copy or shadow of things?

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Come To Cannanland / Max Weber / Where In The World Is Michellekabod2?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.