Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) (58510 Views)

Taliban Brutally Flog & Abduct Civilians In Afghanistan (Pix, Vid) / The Taliban Will Enjoy Killing Us': Gay Man Trapped In Afghanistan (Pix) / Kids Left Behind At Kabul Airport As 5yr Old Twins Reach UK In Race Against Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Gospelpreacher1: 4:19pm On Aug 29, 2021
BETRAYED TO THE END: Dozens among the 1,100 eligible Afghans who were forced to stay behind
Accused the UK of 'abandoning' them to the Taliban men who risked their lives beside British soldiers and claimed they felt 'betrayed'

Former translators and their families reacted with fury yesterday after they were left behind by Britain as the mercy flights ended and Kabul’s airport gates closed on them.

They accused the UK of ‘abandoning’ to the Taliban men who had risked their lives beside British soldiers and said they felt ‘betrayed’.

Dozens of ex-interpreters are among 1,100 eligible Afghans and more than 120 British citizens who were forced to stay behind last night as the extraordinary evacuation entered its final hours.

Former frontline interpreter Hussain, 48, who was feared to have been a casualty in the Isis-K bombing at the airport as he waited with his family for two days, said: ‘We have been left to the enemy we fought with the British.

‘When I heard it, I wished we had been killed in the explosion at the airport.

It would be less painful to be killed instantly than for the Taliban to find me and deal with me in their wild cruel way.’

Musa, 35, a former supervisor of interpreters, said: ‘The British killed the Taliban with my help and now they will want to kill me because I have been made available to them.’

Witnesses said when it became clear the British had closed their gate providing access to the airport for the final time, there was screaming and tears from those outside. Some beat it with their fists, while others tried to climb over it.

Hundreds of translators and their families have been rescued in the 13-day airlift but campaigners estimate at least 50 entitled to relocate are being left behind.

Among those also stranded are former translators who are British citizens and went back to bring their families to the UK. Wives who were recently granted visas after a court battle to join their interpreter husbands in Britain are also left behind.

Former translator Rafi Hottak, who was blown up on the frontlines and is now relocated in Britain, said: ‘The Government should be praised for showing compassion to allow many translators and their families to come to the UK in recent times. But it has been too slow, too mean for many years, and this has resulted in brave men being left behind.

‘The Betrayal of the Brave campaign has been tireless in its support of translators when no one wanted to listen – it has brought about change and saved many lives, which we will never forget.

‘The translators left behind now need it more than ever and we know it will be there for us.’

In Kabul, Hussain said his neighbours wanted him and his family out. They felt it was not safe to live beside an enemy of the Taliban.

‘I feel disgust and fear at being deserted,’ he added.
‘I am responsible for six children – three of mine and three of my sister’s. I thought that was secure with the promise of life in Britain but now with me a target, they face uncertainly, misery and, for me, death.’

Hussain said he had gone to the British rendezvous point after being called for his flight. Despite reaching British soldiers, he had failed to make it into the airport.

‘I was so close,’ he said. ‘We were called to the gate by the British but then not let in. It is heart-breaking because, I think, Britain put the lives of many others before the interpreters.’

Musa said: ‘I am being left to them by the government of the men I could have died for. This is a disaster for me and my family – I was told to return home and wait for my call. The call did not come.

‘I am pleased for those who have escaped but this has been a betrayal of all those left behind. If one translator is killed because he could not be rescued, then all of our blood is on the hands of Britain.

WE ARE LEFT WITH NOTHING
Ullah’s family sold their home – and belongings – as they prepared for a new life free from the threat of the Taliban. Now, in the former translator’s own words, they have been ‘abandoned’ by Britain.

Ullah had worked for Britain’s Special Forces as part of a team known as 444, running a spy ring in the heart of Helmand. When the call for a flight came, he, his wife and four children were in their home city of Kandahar – where Taliban fighters had twice come to his home looking for him. ‘They were killing people secretly. They can do what they want now,’ he said.

‘The message from the British said to urgently go to Kabul airport. We knew it was dangerous to travel and I was being hunted. But it was more dangerous to stay, so we left within an hour, with just the small bag we had been told to bring.

‘The most important thing, we thought, was that we had the visa that would take us to the UK. But now that seems to have meant nothing. We were told to wait for the call to the airport but there has been nothing.

‘Now I am very worried. We never believed we could be abandoned.

'SORRY' CAN'T STOP BULLETS
Aziz was waiting to be called to a flight out of Afghanistan. Instead, the Mail had to break the news yesterday that the British Government’s airlift efforts had effectively ended.

Aziz reacted with silence. Then anger. Then tears. ‘We didn’t deserve this. The British said they would save us... we didn’t spare anything when we stood beside them. Translators were killed, injured, lost legs. But still we supported them. Still we risked our lives for them. How can we not be bitter when we are being left behind? Shame on your country.’

I will hide myself, I have no choice,’ he said. ‘I worry very much about what will happen if the Taliban find me. We are being left behind with an apology from the UK Government. An apology will not shield us from attack.’

I'M WAITING FOR PHONE CALL THAT WILL NEVER COME
Sharif fled his home city of Lashkar Gah hours before his home was seized by insurgents as a military base. Now he is hiding in Kabul.

The 31-year-old former translator said: ‘If the Taliban find me, then they will want to kill me. To them I am a traitor. This is the consequence of the British leaving without me and my family.

The father of four added: ‘We know the Taliban has been going door to door, looking for those like me who worked for the West.

‘They don’t want to invite us for tea. They want to punish us, and that will mean one thing.

‘We should not have been left here. It is a betrayal of those who risked their lives for UK soldiers. Reaching any country from Kabul will be difficult and dangerous.’

He now fears people ‘will betray me to the Taliban’, adding: ‘I am a stranger here and they will point us out wanting favour from the new rulers.

‘For Britain to leave us here puts me in danger and they will know that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqsiHa4VK90

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9934331/amp/How-Afghan-translators-helped-British-troops-ignored-despite-Mails-campaign.html?ico=amp_moreTopStories

1 Like

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Fahdiga(m): 4:20pm On Aug 29, 2021
Too bad. I hope help comes his way. This wouldn't have happened if there's no Islam

98 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by TarOrfeeek: 4:28pm On Aug 29, 2021
That is just devastating

The West will always care more about itself and interests before anyone else.

In 2007 when these guys were translating for the British Army, they probably felt they were making a difference.

It's now dawned on them, they should have remained non-partisan. Maybe even embrace Christianity and flee to Isreal.

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Sunnybay7: 4:29pm On Aug 29, 2021
This is what Buhari and the herdsmen are planning for our country.

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Righteousness2(m): 4:32pm On Aug 29, 2021
That is Painful and unfortunate.

The KOKO about Life is Never put your Trust in Man. No matter how Promising or Juicy it seems, Man can Fail, Fumble and wobble you anytime and anywhere.

In whatever you are doing, Put your Trust in GOD. Depend on GOD to make your Expectations come to Pass.

94 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Muchmore024: 4:38pm On Aug 29, 2021
God have mercy on them.
Muslim desperatly running and hiding from a fellow Muslim yet christianity to them is Haram and ungodly .
Religion of peace indeed

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by AJOBI77(m): 4:39pm On Aug 29, 2021
This situation is very terrible. I can't imagine the fear that will grip them henceforth

8 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by DaddyRochie1642: 4:39pm On Aug 29, 2021
I pity that man, Chai!!!

6 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Blakjewelry(m): 5:10pm On Aug 29, 2021
This is going to be one of the worst crisis in recent times

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Eminimore: 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2021
I dey think why some people no dey wonder I dey wonder why some people no dey think!!
Last last islamBad

5 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by internationalman(m): 5:33pm On Aug 29, 2021
Muchmore024:
God have mercy on them.
Muslim desperatly running and hiding from a fellow Muslim yet christianity to them is Haram and ungodly .
Religion of peace indeed

The worst part is you can never see these Muslims or their supporters here in Nigeria run to fellow Muslim countries

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by BlueAir: 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2021
The mistake these foreign nations made while evacuating people was evacuating civilians first instead of those on their A lists

17 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by vedaxcool(m): 5:20am On Aug 30, 2021
Fahdiga:
Too bad. I hope help comes his way. This wouldn't have happened if there's no Islam

grin grin grin this one will be shouting Atiku, Atiku like a chick following mama chicken. He will forget his bigotry against Atiku because a bread a day keeps the hunger away. grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by vedaxcool(m): 5:23am On Aug 30, 2021
internationalman:

The worst part is you can never see these Muslims or their supporters here in Nigeria run to fellow Muslim countries

But we always see how you bigots in your thousand will risk your lives passing through Libya, running to Malaysia, Indonesia Dubai and crying that the recruitment agency to Saudi Arabia has stopped recruiting doctors ... Yes being bigot makes all the sense when you are dirt broke and poor but the moment Muslims flash some cash, all bigotry has passed away like fiom fiom fiom

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by vedaxcool(m): 5:24am On Aug 30, 2021
[s]
TarOrfeeek:

That is just devastating

In 2007 when these guys were translating for the British Army, they probably felt they were making a difference.

It's now dawned on them, they should have remained non-partisan. Maybe even embrace Christianity and flee to Isreal.
[/s]

Ipob was killing fellow Igbos calling them saboteurs heartlessly cutting a man's private part... See how you rationalize their crimes

6 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Fahdiga(m): 7:37am On Aug 30, 2021
vedaxcool:

grin grin grin this one will be shouting Atiku, Atiku like a chick following mama chicken. He will forget his bigotry against Atiku because a bread a day keeps the hunger away. grin grin grin
What a disjointed gibberish

9 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Gireiboy(m): 8:32am On Aug 30, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

That is just devastating

Judaism you mean, Christian are not even upto 5% of Israel population. Infact, Muslim have a higher population.

23 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by joyandfaith: 9:50am On Aug 30, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by joyandfaith: 9:54am On Aug 30, 2021
vedaxcool:

But we always see how you bigots in your thousand will risk your lives passing through Libya, running to Malaysia, Indonesia Dubai and crying that the recruitment agency to Saudi Arabia has stopped recruiting doctors ... Yes being bigot makes all the sense when you are dirt broke and poor but the moment Muslims flash some cash, all bigotry has passed away like fiom fiom fiom

Christians can endure islamic persecution but muslms don't tolerate Christians and even fellow Muslims with different religious ideologies.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by vedaxcool(m): 10:06am On Aug 30, 2021
[s]
joyandfaith:

Christians can endure islamic persecution but muslms don't tolerate Christians and even fellow Muslims with different religious ideologies.
[/s]

grin grin grin grin there is always that abysmal fellow in the room who cannot comprehend what the discussion is.

3 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by joyandfaith: 10:11am On Aug 30, 2021
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

grin grin grin grin there is always that abysmal fellow in the room who cannot comprehend what the discussion is.

Ridicule is the first and last argument of a fool.” — Charles Simmons
See my signature

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by AntiWailer: 4:39pm On Aug 30, 2021
That is what they do. Use and dump

2 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by osuofia2(m): 4:39pm On Aug 30, 2021
It is good the people waging war against Islam has gone, The Sons of the Emirate will rise and above hate. The World is falling to Islamic rule
Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2021
British, Lord kugard, mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Enoch07: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2021
Beheading await!!!

1 Like

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by MANDIPUTIN: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2021
Conversation between a Punch Newspaper reporter and some people in the South East who were observing the sit at home in Enugu State:
Punch reporter: Why are you guys sitting at home.
Them: We are sitting at home because our leader Mazi Nnamdi kanu is in prison. We want to hear from him.
Punch reporter: What do you think is the solution
Them: The only solution is when you release our leader. He is the only person to talk to us. Without it we will continue to sit at home every Monday.
Punch reporter: Don't you think this will bring hunger to Igbo
Them: Hunger? Are we feeding well before? Even you that is asking us this question, are you not Hungry? We have been hungry since. Infact, my new name is hunger. Look at me, I'm hungry already.
Punch reporter: you know this sit at home is not affecting Buhari but your own people.
Them: We are not sitting at home because of buhari. By the way, all the killings and injustice going on in this country, is it affecting Buhari? We only want to hear from our leader, that's all.
Punch report: But it will affect your economy.
Them: If w are at war, will anyone talk about economy? Economy is not our problem now just release our leader to us.
Punch reporter: This is serious oo... He laughed and left

2 Likes

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 30, 2021
Na wa o.

Las las, they can't carry everyone.

When UN and American troops invade and destroy Nigeria, i think it will be a very good news for AGITATORS. i will be working for American troops or any advanced nation army as a translator so that i can be given permanent residency after they have finished destroying Nigeria and send lot of people to their graves, i will be in the next flight out of the war zone cheesy

1 Like

Re: Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix) by obonujoker(m): 4:41pm On Aug 30, 2021
Many are called, few are chosen

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Trump Cheered As He Drives Through "MILLION MAGA MARCH" Rally In Washington DC / Nigerian Car Dealership Shop Burnt Down In SA Xenophobic Violence! / Russians Flee Country To Avoid Being Sent To Front Line By Putin (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.