Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,488 members, 7,816,155 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK (4284 Views)

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. / Meet Emmanuella Mayaki: Hired By A School In The UK As Coding Instructor / Share Your Remote Job Experience As A Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by ReactJs(m): 9:38pm On Aug 31, 2021
So this afternoon around past 3, got a notification from LinkedIn that so and so wanted to connect. I checked out the profile and it happened to be a Co-Founder of a betting platform in the UK. I reluctantly accepted sha as per wetin i dey find again.

So he sent me a direct message about how they’re in need of a backend developer and i happen to be a good fit. I quickly checkout their website to see what they’re really about. Found out that they’re pretty big as they have clients like betway, live scores bet lion etc so i started to take him serious.

Long story short, he asked for my salary expectations. It was there and then i remember what happened to me from the previous thread i posted couple of weeks. Something a guy from the thread stuck with me, so having nothing to lose, i asked him what the company’s budget is for the role, he said it’s competitive.

So i said for me to consider it competitive, He would have to pay me a minimum of 4500 pounds monthly, which he didn’t even argue!

He said he’s gonna send some tests over then we would hop on a call. But here’s the issues , i just started at a new role for a company in the UK and i kind of like my current teammates. We’re getting along really well and i feel it’s going to look awkward and somehow leaving after barely spending 3 weeks.

If you were in my shoes what would you do ?

9 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Felixitie(m): 9:43pm On Aug 31, 2021
Omoh, if I was in your shoes I would take the new offer after spending a month at current job. Except if the salary package does not really make much difference otherwise na to gbe body!

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by ReactJs(m): 9:48pm On Aug 31, 2021
Felixitie:
Omoh, if I was in your shoes I would take the new offer after spending a month at current job. Except if the salary package does not really make much difference otherwise na to gbe body!
I don’t know man. I’m confused. My current job doesn’t pay as much as these ones are willing to pay but I’ve been getting along with these guys and they’ve been treating me super nicely. My girlfriend also asked me to take this new offer
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:56pm On Aug 31, 2021
Omho I would follow the money and it's in pounds not dollars. One pound is 700 naira. Bros shebi you said the industry is saturated yet CEO's are reaching out to you on LinkedIn. I wish you can know what other people in other fields are seeing with regards to finding work.

5 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by kennethfranc(m): 10:03pm On Aug 31, 2021
If am the one, I will go for the new jobs coz you might still find better working environment compared to your current job.

Pls I wan ask
Since its a remote job, can't someone work for two different companies?
Pls someone should ans me abeg

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by ReactJs(m): 10:03pm On Aug 31, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Omho I would follow the money and it's in pounds not dollars. One pound is 700 naira. Bros shebi you said the industry is saturated yet CEO's are reaching out to you on LinkedIn. I wish you can know what other people in other fields are seeing with regards to finding work.
Brother i know i'm a bit lucky cuz there're a lot of devs far better than i am in this lagos. But i never said the field was saturated o bro. i'm even of the opinion that it cant be saturated due to the fact that there's not enough quantity of QUALITY developers. About this job, i know i'm supposed to follow the money but i've settled in with these people. i wish someone could understand my perspective
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by ReactJs(m): 10:05pm On Aug 31, 2021
kennethfranc:
If am the one, I will go for the new jobs coz you might still find better working environment compared to your current job.

Pls I wan ask

I think you can. but my current company has a daily stand up at a particular time in the morning which you have to be a part of amongst other time demanding stuffs. i dunno how these ones run their own affairs

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Felixitie(m): 10:06pm On Aug 31, 2021
ReactJs:

I don’t know man. I’m confused. My current job doesn’t pay as much as these ones are willing to pay but I’ve been getting along with these guys and they’ve been treating me super nicely. My girlfriend also asked me to take this new offer

Don't make decisions based on your personal emotions especially towards your current colleagues. You are there primarily to make money and get experience...

9 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:09pm On Aug 31, 2021
ReactJs:

Brother i know i'm a bit lucky cuz there're a lot of devs far better than i am in this lagos. But i never said the field was saturated o bro. i'm even of the opinion that it cant be saturated due to the fact that there's not enough quantity of QUALITY developers. About this job, i know i'm supposed to follow the money but i've settled in with these people. i wish someone could understand my perspective
I do it's just like my present company. Me and my boss are brothers of some sort and I honestly won't leave my job for another remote job but once I get a relocation job I am sure he would even give him his blessings as I have told him how hell Nigeria is.

4 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:20pm On Aug 31, 2021
kennethfranc:

Pls I wan ask

Yeah you can if you get mind. I know some Devs doing that but they work like 16 hours a day. 8 hours one Job and 8 Hours another. It helps if the companies are in different timezones like the UK and Australia. Australia morning time is our night while UK morning time is our morning normal with just an hour difference so you can finish the UK work rest an hour or two and resume the Australia work.

5 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by lordally(m): 10:58pm On Aug 31, 2021
ReactJs:
So this afternoon around past 3, got a notification from LinkedIn that so and so wanted to connect. I checked out the profile and it happened to be a Co-Founder of a betting platform in the UK. I reluctantly accepted sha as per wetin i dey find again.

So he sent me a direct message about how they’re in need of a backend developer and i happen to be a good fit. I quickly checkout their website to see what they’re really about. Found out that they’re pretty big as they have clients like betway, live scores bet lion etc so i started to take him serious.

Long story short, he asked for my salary expectations. It was there and then i remember what happened to me from the previous thread i posted couple of weeks. Something a guy from the thread stuck with me, so having nothing to lose, i asked him what the company’s budget is for the role, he said it’s competitive.

So i said for me to consider it competitive, He would have to pay me a minimum of 4500 pounds monthly, which he didn’t even argue!

He said he’s gonna send some tests over then we would hop on a call. But here’s the issues , i just started at a new role for a company in the UK and i kind of like my current teammates. We’re getting along really well and i feel it’s going to look awkward and somehow leaving after barely spending 3 weeks.

Since you're just 3 weeks at your new job it's cool but that's tech for you! Tech na Ashawo work! Yes you heard me! Tech na Ashawo work with PRIDE! my brother at the end of the day , what matters is you and your happiness. The same company you're finding it difficult to leave today , would not waste a second in laying you off when they have to. So please I take the JavaScript wey I dey learn beg you , COLLECT THIS NEW OFFER ABEG! na beg I dey beg you! That 4500 Pounds no be Biafra Pounds O na British pounds o!! ...... See you better collect this new job before I Naked waka enter T junction for express , pluck one hair comot for my Armpit swear for you!!!

18 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Deasegun19(m): 12:19am On Sep 01, 2021
lordally:

Since you're just 3 weeks at your new job it's cool but that's tech for you! Tech na Ashawo work! Yes you heard me! Tech na Ashawo work with PRIDE! my brother at the end of the day , what matters is you and your happiness. The same company you're finding it difficult to leave today , would not waste a second in laying you off when they have to. So please I take the JavaScript wey I dey learn beg you , COLLECT THIS NEW OFFER ABEG! na beg I dey beg you! That 4500 Pounds no be Biafra Pounds O na British pounds o!! ...... See you better collect this new job before I Naked waka enter T junction for express , pluck one hair comot for my Armpit swear for you!!!

funny guy

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Raustin(m): 3:25am On Sep 01, 2021
I think you have two options with your new offer :
1. Put in your mandatory two weeks notice to your current employer.

2. Use the rates this new company is offering you to renegotiate your contract with them, they definitely can match your new offer or they'll have to lose you.

I spent time on reddit and learned this is how they do in the west.

Loyalty in tech is fluid and job turnover is extremely high.
What is permanent is contracts. so if a better offer comes you can definitely renegotiate.

4 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by parkervero(m): 6:51am On Sep 01, 2021
ReactJs:

Let's wait to see the outcome of the test. Similar thing happened to me.
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Karleb(m): 8:23am On Sep 01, 2021
I guess you took my advice. grin

Well, you didn't take it fully tho. I believe you should have given him a range of 4500 and 8500. Trust me, shame no go gree am pay you below 5k as per big company things.

My advice is; pass the test and tell him you currently have a job. If he is convinced you are a good fit, he would wait for a week or two for you to join.

Tell your current employer of the new company, give the reason you want to leave. Leave honorably. Don't lie but do this after you collect your salary.

Once again, congratulations man. cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Karleb(m): 8:30am On Sep 01, 2021
ReactJs:

Baba, at the end of the day, it's your choice to make.

Don't just say it anywhere that you left a £4.5k remote job because you have "settled in" with another company that pays less.

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Imustnottalk: 9:09am On Sep 01, 2021
Go for the new job and japa from naija
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Codedboy95(m): 10:06am On Sep 01, 2021
How much does your current job pay you? if it's close to £4k, I would stay with the current company since you said you love your team ( and company culture). It gets to a stage when it's not all about money. but if the salary difference will do a lot for you then just go with the new company.

5 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 11:47am On Sep 01, 2021
ReactJs:

Follow the money bro. But do due diligence. How viable are these new guys? Will they be around in 12 months? Do you have an exit strategy? I work remote like you. US though. And I tell you for free if I get a higher offer I'm gone. We are mercenaries bro. Remember that these guys are paying us less than they'd pay equivalent labour in their countries. And there's no DOE and 401k like FTEs get
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 11:51am On Sep 01, 2021
ReactJs:

I think you can. but my current company has a daily stand up at a particular time in the morning which you have to be a part of amongst other time demanding stuffs. i dunno how these ones run their own affairs

What ISP do you use? I'm struggling with reliable Internet, perhaps because I'm having to connect to a server at the other end of America. Lag times of 200ms+ are brutal for 8-hrs VOIP calls
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by lordally(m): 11:52am On Sep 01, 2021
Deasegun19:

funny guy

Omo £4,500 British pounds per month for 1yr go change my life bro! grin
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 11:56am On Sep 01, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah you can if you get mind. I know some Devs doing that but they work like 16 hours a day. 8 hours one Job and 8 Hours another. It helps if the companies are in different timezones like the UK and Australia. Australia morning time is our night while UK morning time is our morning normal with just an hour difference so you can finish the UK work rest an hour or two and resume the Australia work.

Omo! The hustle is real! And here I have been trying to hustle US remote when I can combine UK remote with US remote. Where una dey see UK and Australia remote abeg? I'm not on LinkedIn and don't plan to for privacy reasons
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Omo! The hustle is real! And here I have been trying to hustle US remote when I can combine UK remote with US remote. Where una dey see UK and Australia remote abeg? I'm not on LinkedIn and don't plan to for privacy reasons
Since you're not on LinkedIn, how did you get a remote job?
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 12:42pm On Sep 01, 2021
DrLevi:

Since you're not on LinkedIn, how did you get a remote job?

My first connect was through Reddit.

I didn't join Reddit to look for remote jobs o. Joined 2 or 3 years ago just to have a different feel for a forum. Fast forward to early this year when my former employers bailed on employees. I was doing some IT hustle and went back to reddit as a learning resource
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Deasegun19(m): 1:13pm On Sep 01, 2021
lordally:

Omo £4,500 British pounds per month for 1yr go change my life bro! grin
True
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

My first connect was through Reddit.

I didn't join Reddit to look for remote jobs o. Joined 2 or 3 years ago just to have a different feel for a forum. Fast forward to early this year when my former employers bailed on employees. I was doing some IT hustle and went back to reddit as a learning resource
Thanks
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 2:20pm On Sep 01, 2021
DrLevi:

Thanks

Saw your Milestone 3 target and deadline. It's going to be a brutal balancing act. Working until midnight when you have classes day time may leave you completely drained. Doable and I'd like to read your posts one year from today to see how you have succeeded at pulling it off. Rooting for you!
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:37pm On Sep 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Jobs dey Reddit too. Lots of australians there.

2 Likes

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by airsaylongcome: 4:49pm On Sep 01, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Jobs dey Reddit too. Lots of australians there.

Need to start following better subredds for AU/NZ na UK openings. Na mostly Yankee connect I dey see for there
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by genaro2000(m): 5:58pm On Sep 01, 2021
lordally:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy , Guy no go kill me with laugh, I beg you

1 Like

Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Saw your Milestone 3 target and deadline. It's going to be a brutal balancing act. Working until midnight when you have classes day time may leave you completely drained. Doable and I'd like to read your posts one year from today to see how you have succeeded at pulling it off. Rooting for you!
Thanks, I truly appreciate.

If you wouldn't mind, can you share how many hours are required, stand-ups etc. I'm counting on task-based job where maximum flexibility is allowed provided the tasks for the week are completed. I doubt companies are these flexible.

I would love to know what a normal day working remote feels like, it'll help me plan better.
Las Las I might just stick to freelancing grin

P.S I can send a mail you don feel comfortable sharing some stuff here
Re: Got Another Remote Job Offer In The UK by lordally(m): 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2021
genaro2000:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy , Guy no go kill me with laugh, I beg you

My brother I hear £4,500 my 2 ears stand!!! grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Catch The Thief - Nigeria's First 3D Game On Android / Goodbye Java! / Best C/C++ Compiler?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 2
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.