Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,356 members, 7,829,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me (33999 Views)

Manchester United Fans Praise Cavani For Giving Up His Number 7 Shirt To Ronaldo / Ronaldo Thanks Cavani For Giving Him His Man Utd No 7 Shirt / Ronaldo To Adorn The iconic No 7 Shirt, as Cavani takes No 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by PBeni(m): 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2021
paulolee:
lolz...he just voiced his mind...he dnt care about the hype n superstitions laced on shirt numbers..
am players are different n some choosed to get carried away with the fear or pressure of replacing d legends dt wore such number like 7 n 10..
some players do fail even before they start bcox dey try to fill d shoes of legends by taking same number n add a lot of pressure on themselves for example depay in man.u n mariano in madrid while others dnt care about number or who wore DM n nus enjoy football, just like cavani n di maria..

Pheww, it was something else reading this your writeup. undecided
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Yale9(m): 4:32pm On Sep 02, 2021
checkolatunji:

None of all these players are close to Maradona, Pele and Messi and they all have one thing in common, 10.
Ronaldo is greater than them all.
And he wears the number 7.
cool

5 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by unmask: 4:32pm On Sep 02, 2021
SEGLIZ:
always beefing.

never a lover of united but on this di maria got it wrong.

that shirt has been iconic, he has never love CR7, he has being hiding it.

his opinion here doesn't hold a second.
Number 7 shirts aren't iconic worldwide, maybe it is in United but no one really cared about that number till CR7 decided to own it. Iconic numbers in football has always been 9 and 10.

So if he says he didn't care about it, then maybe he didn't. Some players genuinely don't care about what number they get.

1 Like

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by unmask: 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2021
stagger:
The number 7 reminds him of his failure at the club. That's why he is a piece of shit. Has he won any European trophy since he left Man Utd?
has united won more trophies than he has since he left?
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Angelfrost(m): 4:37pm On Sep 02, 2021
Fuckthamods:

What about hazard in real madrid?

What about him?!!
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by ofuonyebi: 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2021
Shut up DIMARIA...jealousy don come to your head..
Because very soon, that anointed no.7 jersey that you could not shine with
will become the talk of the London town when the truly anointed king of soccer arrives to play at Man United

I mean the real Ororo...sleepless goal --poacher...dare-devil...see Ronaldo..see gogongo..see wahala...greatest
the only man in history to break ALL GOAL RECORDS....

How many goals Dimara don score oooo
Those who fails always have evil envy for the greats.....just wait and see

5 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:50pm On Sep 02, 2021
O don't know why man u fans are angry.
Dude just spoke the truth.
There are more flops than success associated with that number
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by goodheart02(m): 4:54pm On Sep 02, 2021
Di Maria sef. English was your challenge but u know how to say "I don't give a fucckk"

Simply say the legendary no. 7 shirt was too heavy for you to handle and represent it's meaning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by brumeonos(m): 4:55pm On Sep 02, 2021
robosky02:
Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me

Argentina star Angel Di Maria has launched an extraordinary attack on his former club Manchester United, claiming he didn’t “give a f***” about taking the club’s famous No.7 shirt number.

United shelled out a club-record £59.7million fee to sign Di Maria from Real Madrid in August 2014.

Di Maria proved to be a sound addition at first, scoring a memorable goal against Leicester City and registering 10 assists and three goals in 22 appearances.

But he struggled to adapt to life in Manchester and had trouble settling in with his team-mates after failing to improve his English.

His future became uncertain after his house was burgled while he was playing for the club and when Paris Saint-Germain offered £45m to sign the winger, he pushed to leave Old Trafford.

Now Di Maria has lifted the lid on his short spell in England claiming that the No.7 shirt given to him — worn by club legends such as Eric Cantona and David Beckham — had no special meaning.

“I didn’t give a f*** about the Manchester United No.7,” Di Maria was quoted telling Libero on TyC Sports in a wide-ranging interview.

“At first they talked to me a lot about it… it was just a shirt.”

Di Maria’s disdain for his former coach Louis van Gaal was evident during his nightmare stint in the Premier League and the midfielder singled out the Dutchman for criticism.

“My problem at Manchester was the coach,” he added. “Van Gaal was the worst of my career.

“I would score, assist, and the next day he would show me my misplaced passes.

“He displaced me from one day to the other, he didn’t like players being more than him.”

https://www.completesports.com/di-maria-man-uniteds-iconic-no-7-shirt-had-no-special-meaning-to-me/
It wouldn't mean anything to all because u where a failure wearing it.
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by MrMurdah: 4:56pm On Sep 02, 2021
Mumu you were a mega flop...so who cares what you think!
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Lamasta(m): 5:04pm On Sep 02, 2021
Di Maria you failed at United so stop talking out of anger and jealousy

1 Like

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 02, 2021
unmask:
Number 7 shirts aren't iconic worldwide, maybe it is in United but no one really cared about that number till CR7 decided to own it. Iconic numbers in football has always been 9 and 10.

So if he says he didn't care about it, then maybe he didn't. Some players genuinely don't care about what number they get.

He wouldn't have said that if he performed very well wearing that number. He was gladdened when the jersey was given to him. Also, every club has a specific number that's legendary to them. In Manchester United, the number 10 and 9 ain't even revered in comparison to number 7. Inter also retired the number 4 because Zanetti wore it. Should they decide to pull it up in the future, it's got to be on one hell of a player.

Maria hates Manchester United and everything about it after his abysmal performance there, and that hatred now extends to Cr7, since he's an icon there. His celebration against them during UNITED vs PSG proves that, and Manchester united fans also feel the same way about him, proven from the reception he got. So, expect such a club flop to say things that'll anger Manchester United.

2 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by hustla(m): 5:07pm On Sep 02, 2021
I no blame am

Na Man Utd wey dey give people anyhow

Should have retired the Jersey or make sure you spend 3 yrs at least before you wear it
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Fuckthamods: 5:08pm On Sep 02, 2021
Angelfrost:

What about him?!!
Not perfoming
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by donhils: 5:08pm On Sep 02, 2021
Just trying to cover up cos he didn't live up to the number. The number was too big for him and he flopped
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by hustla(m): 5:09pm On Sep 02, 2021
unmask:
has united won more trophies than he has since he left?

LOL he went to a league PSG wins every year.. Literally no competition there

I'm certain they'll win it again this year

Smh
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 02, 2021
That's why you will always remain meaningless at the theater of dreams

1 Like

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by goodheart02(m): 5:13pm On Sep 02, 2021
unmask:
Number 7 shirts aren't iconic worldwide, maybe it is in United but no one really cared about that number till CR7 decided to own it. Iconic numbers in football has always beeon 9 and 10.

Okay we agree, no.9 and 10 are inconic. But CR7 has just made the no.7 iconic and his own has become a brand
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by NigeriaB(m): 5:16pm On Sep 02, 2021
Kingpele:
Lies well maybe he is right ,as a messi fan dimaria suppose to dislike anything that will make CR7 look special but is unfortunate that his former coach have to bear the blunt

You are totally right. You just took the words from my mouth
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Damonollie(m): 5:28pm On Sep 02, 2021
stagger:
The number 7 reminds him of his failure at the club. That's why he is a piece of shit. Has he won any European trophy since he left Man Utd?
I wonder oo�
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by JustforMen: 5:36pm On Sep 02, 2021
robosky02:
Top Stars that have use the number 7 Jersey

George Best

Henry Cantons

David Beckham

Christiano Ronaldo

who is Henry Cantons... ERIC CANTONA!
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Ofolete: 5:51pm On Sep 02, 2021
Confused ManU wanted to kill your career but you are smart enough to run away.
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by eddykaka(m): 6:08pm On Sep 02, 2021
Ofolete:
Confused ManU wanted to kill your career but you are smart enough to run away.
grin this big head Chelsea fan, I sabi your type
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by kunleiky(m): 6:12pm On Sep 02, 2021
robosky02:
Top Stars that have use the number 7 Jersey

George Best

Henry Cantons

David Beckham

Christiano Ronaldo

Eric Cantona wey all Man Utd fans dey manage, e reach your turn, you turn am to Henry Cantons.
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Angelfrost(m): 6:13pm On Sep 02, 2021
Fuckthamods:

Not perfoming

Up till now?!! I know he had an injury crisis last season, but he seems to be finding his rhythm now.
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Angelfrost(m): 6:15pm On Sep 02, 2021
paulolee:

for wetin na?? where u come place alexis sanchez n dt scammer depay??

Depay has been on fire since he left United na!!!

I believe Van Gaal was the problem.
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Ofunwa111: 6:44pm On Sep 02, 2021
Miller232:
Get over it mate you were a failure in England
We united fans don't talk about you anymore no one remember you played for united sef
Snake

Lmao cheesy. I couldn't have said it better . cheesy. Of all the things a player wants talk about is shirt number ? cheesy cheesy. CR7 coming home is really peppering people worldwide

1 Like

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by SEGLIZ: 6:47pm On Sep 02, 2021
unmask:

his opinion never mattered about it so he should have let it lay low all the same.

it wasn't about the world but united he should realise 7 is iconic to united and remain as such.

it affects or hurts no one one until di maria signify such. this isn't about the jersey but the recent move of the two major football power dynamite.

di maria isn't got the joy for CR7 he isn't hiding it. I don't think he needs that, leave the beefing off to fans to do.
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by robosky02(m): 7:29pm On Sep 02, 2021
Yale9:
Ronaldo is greater than them all.
And he wears the number 7.
cool

See finishing naa

2 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 02, 2021
paulolee:
lolz...he just voiced his mind...he dnt care about the hype n superstitions laced on shirt numbers..
some players do fail even before they start bcox dey try to fill d shoes of legends by taking same number n add a lot of pressure on themselves for example depay in man.u n mariano in madrid while others dnt care about number or who wore DM n nus enjoy football, just like cavani n di maria..
He is a coward.
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by unmask: 8:27pm On Sep 02, 2021
SEGLIZ:
his opinion never mattered about it so he should have let it lay low all the same.

it wasn't about the world but united he should realise 7 is iconic to united and remain as such.

it affects or hurts no one one until di maria signify such. this isn't about the jersey but the recent move of the two major football power dynamite.

di maria isn't got the joy for CR7 he isn't hiding it. I don't think he needs that, leave the beefing off to fans to do.
don't read news in isolation.....he most likely responded to a question during an interview. Which in this case his answer was normal. Players don't just sit and say "I don't care about numbers, usually someone asked" and out of the response headlines are created.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Advises Neymar To Quit Barcelona FC / Top Five: Nigerian Clubs Of The Decade / Liverpool To Play 2 Matches In 2 Different Countries Within 24 Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.