Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,682 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me (33958 Views)

Manchester United Fans Praise Cavani For Giving Up His Number 7 Shirt To Ronaldo / Ronaldo Thanks Cavani For Giving Him His Man Utd No 7 Shirt / Ronaldo To Adorn The iconic No 7 Shirt, as Cavani takes No 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by robosky02(m): 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2021
Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me

Argentina star Angel Di Maria has launched an extraordinary attack on his former club Manchester United, claiming he didn’t “give a f***” about taking the club’s famous No.7 shirt number.

United shelled out a club-record £59.7million fee to sign Di Maria from Real Madrid in August 2014.

Di Maria proved to be a sound addition at first, scoring a memorable goal against Leicester City and registering 10 assists and three goals in 22 appearances.

But he struggled to adapt to life in Manchester and had trouble settling in with his team-mates after failing to improve his English.

His future became uncertain after his house was burgled while he was playing for the club and when Paris Saint-Germain offered £45m to sign the winger, he pushed to leave Old Trafford.

Now Di Maria has lifted the lid on his short spell in England claiming that the No.7 shirt given to him — worn by club legends such as Eric Cantona and David Beckham — had no special meaning.

“I didn’t give a f*** about the Manchester United No.7,” Di Maria was quoted telling Libero on TyC Sports in a wide-ranging interview.

“At first they talked to me a lot about it… it was just a shirt.”

Di Maria’s disdain for his former coach Louis van Gaal was evident during his nightmare stint in the Premier League and the midfielder singled out the Dutchman for criticism.

“My problem at Manchester was the coach,” he added. “Van Gaal was the worst of my career.

“I would score, assist, and the next day he would show me my misplaced passes.

“He displaced me from one day to the other, he didn’t like players being more than him.”

https://www.completesports.com/di-maria-man-uniteds-iconic-no-7-shirt-had-no-special-meaning-to-me/

14 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by paulolee(m): 12:52pm On Sep 02, 2021
lolz...he just voiced his mind...he dnt care about the hype n superstitions laced on shirt numbers..
some players do fail even before they start bcox dey try to fill d shoes of legends by taking same number n add a lot of pressure on themselves for example depay in man.u n mariano in madrid while others dnt care about number or who wore DM n nus enjoy football, just like cavani n di maria..

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by robosky02(m): 12:56pm On Sep 02, 2021
Top Stars that have use the number 7 Jersey

George Best

Henry Cantona

David Beckham

Christiano Ronaldo

123 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by robosky02(m): 12:59pm On Sep 02, 2021
MANCHESTER UNITED
Manchester United's Love Affair with the Number 7

Manchester United has had great players come and go. Sir Bobby Charlton, Mark Hughes, and Roy Keane just to name a few. However, none of those players wore the No. 7 shirt. Ever since the 1960s, starting with George Best, some of the best United players have had the honor of wearing the No. 7.

George Best, 1963-1974

Maradonna good, Pele better, George Best. Undoubtedly, one of the most exciting players in United history, Best made his Red Devil's debut in 1963, at the age of 17. Dubbed, "the fifth Beattle" for his long hair, Best was a hit both on and off the pitch.

He won one league title and one European Cup with Manchester United before leaving in 1974, at the age of 27. In all, Best recorded 466 appearances for Manchester United in all competitions from 1963 to 1974, and scored 178 goals.

He was also an international for Northern Ireland where he scored 9 goals in 37 appearences. After he left United he went on to play for Fulham, the LA Aztecs, San Jose Earthquakes, and AFC Bournemouth. He retired with AFC at the age of 37.

Bryan Robson, 1981-1994

Unlike Best, Bryan Robson did not begin his career with Manchester United. Rather, he began his career with West Bromwich Albion (WBA). In 1981, Robson went to Old Trafford with then a British transfer fee record of 1.5 million pounds. When asked why he moved to United, he said: "Money wasn't my main motivation. I simply wanted to be a winner."

And a winner he was. He was soon made captain of United and won his first trophy in 1984, when he scored two goals against Brighton to help United win the FA Cup. In the 1990-1991 season, he became the first United captain to win the FA Cup three times. He also won the FA Premiership twice.

His stay at United was not to last though. Despite being the longest serving captain for United, he moved to Middlesbrough in 1994, where he stayed till his retirement in 1996. During his playing career, Robson was an international for Britain. During his 90 caps, he scored 26 goals.

After his playing career, Robson became a manager. He has been in charge of Middlesbrough (1994-2003), Bradford City (2003-2004), WBA (2004-2006), and Sheffield United (2007-2008).

Eric Cantona, 1992-1997

Known as King Eric and famous for putting up his jersey collar, he is probably the most controversial player to wear the No. 7 jersey.

Cantona joined Manchester United from Leeds in 1992, after they had finished 17th of 22 in the newly formed Premier League. Up to that point of the season, United was having a hard time scoring. When that changed as Cantona not only scored goals but allowed space for others to score as well.

In 1994, Cantona was named PFA Player of the Year and won the FA Cup over Chelsea. However, perhaps his most famous time at United didn't deal with scoring a goal at all. During a match against Crystal Palace in 1995, Cantona got sent off for kicking a player out of vengence. As he left the pitch, he stormed at a Palace fan and kung-fu kicked him. Let's just say, not a smart idea.

Image:Eric Cantona kung-fu kick.jpg

He ultimately got sentenced 120 hours of community service and a nine-month ban from football. When he came back in 1995, he looked rusty; but soon he was back to his old self and helped United win the FA Cup against Liverpool. He became the first foreign-born captain to win the Cup.

He retired in 1997, after four English Premiership titles in five years, including two league and FA Cup doubles; he also scored 64 goals in 144 appearances. During his 40 caps for France, he scored 25 goals. After the Crystal Palace incident, he lost his place from the French side for good—replaced by Zinedine Zidane. Cantona's resentment for Aime Jacquet, the French national coach at the time, only got worse when France won the World Cup in 1998.

The French master has had a shaky relationship with Manchester United since his retirement. In 2004, he said he would never want to manager the club. However, he has since retracted that statement and said that United was the only club he would take charge of.

David Beckham, 1993-2003

As King Eric's career was coming to a close, another United player was just beginning. Enter David Beckham. He was already well known in United's youth system and it was only a matter of time when he was chosen for the first team.

Signing with United at the age of 14, Becks would have a flourishing career at United. When he first joined, he wore Mark Hughes's former number, which was 10.

On his Champions League debut against Galatasaray in 1994, he scored a goal as United won, 4-0. For the 1994-1995 season, he was loaned off to Preston North End where he got some first team experience. However, Beckham would be back.

In 1996, Becks became a household name when he scored a miracle goal from halfway line as United beat Wimbledon 3-0. When Eric Cantona left in 1997, Becks took the No. 7 jersey leaving the No. 10 jersey for newcomer, Teddy Sheringham.

Beckham's biggest year came in 1999, when he was part of the squad that won the Treble—the Champions League, the FA Cup, and the Premier League. During his stay at United, Becks scored 62 goals in 265 appearances.

In 2003, Beckham's relationship with Manchester United deteriorated as he increasingly stayed on the bench. Eventually, he transferred to Real Madrid where he stayed for four years, from 2003-2007.

In 2007, he made possibly the most controversial move of the 21st century when he came to the States to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy in Major League Soccer.

Beckham has also had a fine career with the English national team. He made his debut for England during the 1996 World Cup. He became an automatic inclusion when he was voted PFA Young Player of the Year in 1997. He became captain in 2000 and kept it until 2006. Throughout his international career, he has scored 17 goals in 105 appearances.

Cristiano Ronaldo, 2003-

We've taken a look at Best, Robson, Cantona, and Beckham. Now the latest member of Manchester United to wear the No. 7 jersey is Cristiano Ronaldo. Signed from Sporting Lisbon at the early age of 16, Liverpool originally had interest in them. As a United fan, I am so glad. When he first came to Old Trafford, he didn't want the No. 7 jersey. He said:

"After I joined, the manager asked me what number I'd like. I said 28. But Ferguson said 'No, you're going to have No. 7,' and the famous shirt was an extra source of motivation. I was forced to live up to such an honour."

Looks like the jersey has motivated him immensely. In the first season with Manchester United, he scored six goals in 40 appearances. However, he quickly improved and last season scored an astonishing 42 goals in 48 appearances. Take that Liverpool!

With United, Ronaldo has won every piece of silverware possible—the FA Cup in 2004, the League Cup in 2006, the Community Shield in 2007, the Premiership in 2007 and 2008, and the Champions League in 2008. He has been awarded numerous individual awards, including the PFA Player of the Year in 2007 and 2008 and the UEFA Club Footballer of the Year in 2008.

Ronaldo made his international debut with Portugal in 2003. Since then, he has made 58 appearances and scored 21 goals. On his twentieth birthday in 2007, Ronaldo was made captain of Portugal. To many he was too young, but it was a move requested by the President of the Portugal Football Federation, Carlos Silva, who died two days before Ronaldo's birthday.

According to Scolari, the coach of Portugal then: "Mr. Silva asked me to make [Ronaldo] captain as a gesture...[he] is too young to be captain, but Mr. Silva asked me, and now he is no longer with us."

The Future

Cristiano Ronaldo is the latest player to wear No,. 7. Who will be next to wear that number? Looks like Ronaldo will be United for a few more years, but he could always leave. Who do you think is next? Who will get the honor of wearing the coveted No. 7 jersey of Manchester United?

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Totilopussylick(m): 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2021
Him and Val gaal whatever their names, were are the worst signing by Manchester United.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by robosky02(m): 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2021
paulolee:
chaaaai

Worst players to don the Number 7 shirt for Manchester United

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by paulolee(m): 1:21pm On Sep 02, 2021
Totilopussylick:
Him and Val gaal whatever their names, were are the worst signing by Manchester United.
for wetin na?? where u come place alexis sanchez n dt scammer depay??

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Miller232: 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2021
Get over it mate you were a failure in England
We united fans don't talk about you anymore no one remember you played for united sef
Snake

123 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Joebayo217: 2:56pm On Sep 02, 2021
He is the worst player to wore that number 7

27 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by robosky02(m): 2:59pm On Sep 02, 2021
Miller232:
Get over it mate you were a failure in England
We united fans don't talk about you anymore no one remember you played for united sef
Snake

He is a messi fan...

Trying to get at ronaldo but... Disrespecting united and all the no 7 legends at united

Too bad he ended reminding us he was the worse number 7 along manphis

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Bobotic(m): 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2021
I'm just coming back from Bobrisky's birthday (yesterday) with my own jersey wey Igbo people dash me shocked tongue

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Hezzyluv: 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2021
Ofcoz na Cristiano Ronaldo jersey no.7 = CR7 sounds good.

Angel di'maria jersey no.7 = ADM7 sounds somehow

8 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Kingpele(m): 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2021
Lies well maybe he is right ,as a messi fan dimaria suppose to dislike anything that will make CR7 look special but is unfortunate that his former coach have to bear the blunt

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by mbahdi(m): 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2021
S
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by victons(m): 3:40pm On Sep 02, 2021
Exactly
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Samanza89: 3:40pm On Sep 02, 2021
More reason you were utterly useless to the team. Your opinion is personal and I don't give a sh!t about it.

7 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by SecuredMaking: 3:40pm On Sep 02, 2021
grin
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by SecretReporter(f): 3:41pm On Sep 02, 2021
U
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by iambrazen: 3:41pm On Sep 02, 2021
Lol... see beef nah

1 Like

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by SEGLIZ: 3:41pm On Sep 02, 2021
always beefing.

never a lover of united but on this di maria got it wrong.

that shirt has been iconic, he has never love CR7, he has being hiding it.

his opinion here doesn't hold a second.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Led52: 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2021
It can't have meaning
Yeye boy
Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by NewWay71: 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2021
Beef everywhere lol

2 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by KillingIsFun: 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2021
Eric Cantona! Who is Henry Cantons? Shey na the Oluwole version of Eric Cantona?

[img]https://images./3frA5xavcFKa5Lce3BNvd1.jpg[/img]

robosky02:
Top Stars that have use the number 7 Jersey

George Best

Henry Cantons

David Beckham

Christiano Ronaldo

14 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by yemmight(m): 3:43pm On Sep 02, 2021
The guy is always wailing. Is he from the East?

12 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by stagger: 3:43pm On Sep 02, 2021
The number 7 reminds him of his failure at the club. That's why he is a piece of shit. Has he won any European trophy since he left Man Utd?

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by infogenius(m): 3:44pm On Sep 02, 2021
And that was why he ended up a Man Utd flop. grin grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by Sonnobax15(m): 3:44pm On Sep 02, 2021
grin
That was because the goat himself cursed it before he left tongue

Well, personally cha,I just dey hope make Cr7 no just flop because it won't be funny to me...

Any ways cha,e no too concern me.. Kukuma I be Chelsea full time fan cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Di Maria: Man United’s Iconic No. 7 Shirt Had No Special Meaning To Me by thesicilian: 3:44pm On Sep 02, 2021
There's nothing iconic about anything concerning Man U.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sunshine Stars Team Bus Attacked, Players Injured (graphic Photos) / Reaction Of Rangers International After Conceding A Late Goal Against 3SC / PHOTO: Late Amodu Shuaibu's Grave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.