Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:07 AM

Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? (9395 Views)

Pastor Marches On His Member: What Is Happening In Our Churches Now? / The Bible Describes 'Jesus' As Black, So Why Do Our Churches Depict A White Man? / The 'Daddy-Mummy Syndrome' In Nigerian Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by MMM2(m): 1:21pm On May 24, 2011
op
dont worry when u go 4 NYSC,
u will still call ur follow corpers papa n mama in d family house, but is not as if is force.
But 2 me is not dat bad.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Gift4all(m): 1:26pm On May 24, 2011
The reason why people call their Church leaders 'Daddies' and 'Mummies' are:

1. Cultural - It is a sign of respect for elderly people. In this sense, It is funny how some old people refer to younger pastors as 'daddy'.

2. Sycophancy - Just to curry favour from 'daddies' and 'mummies'

3. Worship - Some people do worship these so called men of God, which is not suppose to be.

4. Ignorance and 'follow follow" - Some people do call them ignorantly, just the way others are doing it, without really taking time to think of why they came about it.

It is instructive for people to examine themselves and think of why they call their pastors these names. IMHO it is only No. 1 above that is reasonable. Others are not in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by rabzy: 1:32pm On May 24, 2011
Paul used that language so as to reach the heart of his listeners, the mood is not argumentative, but rather is an appeal to the Galatians on the basis of a broken heart, but rather the agony of a mother for her wayward child.

“My children, with whom I am again in labor until Christ is formed in you—but I could wish to be present with you now and to change my tone, for I am perplexed about you” (Gal. 4:19-20).

Paul has elsewhere described himself in motherly terms, emphasizing the tenderness and love which he had toward those to whom he ministered (1 Thes. 2:7). In this passage, however, it is the agony of the heart of a mother which Paul is seeking to convey to the wayward Galatians. Paul’s pain is as though he was once again giving spiritual birth to these, his children. Having begun verse 19 with an allusion to his readers as children, Paul continues with this image, using the analogy of the birth process and the pain which a mother undergoes to bring her child to life.

This is very different from the glorification and grandeur which these men arrogate to themselves and revel in, Jesus Christ said 'all ye are brothers'.

There is no master-slave relationship in the church nor father-children relationship. No one is supposed to be overall head, no one ought to have his posters and pictures plastered all over the place. It was suppose to be a body of qualified Brethrens.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by cameronese(m): 1:35pm On May 24, 2011
Which kind of 'daddy' buys a private jet when his children cannot afford 3 square meals ?

Which kind of 'daddy' takes tithes and offering from his kids to open a university the same kids cannot afford to go ?

Which kind of 'daddy' tells his children living in Ghana/Nigeria to donate money in dollars ?

Seriously, it baffles me how these guys monetize Billions of Naira from their so-called followers annually
and go about boasting with private jets and expesively designed mansions and yet no question from thier members?

The other day, one pastor was boasting how financially successful he has become My question is: What product
did he manufactured and sold become financially succesful?

It has become a competitionh among Pastors these days to buy one of the most expensive worldly thing (Private Jet)
and still go about preaching against worldlyness.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by omo9ja1(m): 1:38pm On May 24, 2011
I don't see anything wrong calling your pastors daddy, mummy papa and so on, In Yoruba culture there is a saying that someone that is old enough to be your father you call them father, but come to think of it Jesus Christ was call Rabbi why they call him that, because his was teaching them the doctrine of the Kingdom of God, so calling your pastor a daddy I don't see any hassle in that, If you feel free to call them pastor go and call them pastor,friend,sherpered and so on
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 1:47pm On May 24, 2011
because DADDY may serve two purposes
both in CHURCH OR OUTSIDE THE CHURCH grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by 9jarocks(m): 1:54pm On May 24, 2011
You can call them that if you believe they are your father in the Lord
but i call my Pastor - Revo,
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by rabzy: 2:01pm On May 24, 2011
Gift4all:

The reason why people call their Church leaders 'Daddies' and 'Mummies' are:

1. Cultural - It is a sign of respect for elderly people. In this sense, It is funny how some old people refer to younger pastors as 'daddy'.

2. Sycophancy - Just to curry favour from 'daddies' and 'mummies'

3. Worship - Some people do worship these so called men of God, which is not suppose to be.

4. Ignorance and 'follow follow" - Some people do call them ignorantly, just the way others are doing it, without really taking time to think of why they came about it.

It is instructive for people to examine themselves and think of why they call their pastors these names. IMHO it is only No. 1 above that is reasonable. Others are not in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Its hard to believe that they do it because of reason 1. That means they would have to call every elderly couple regardless of status or privilege as daddy or mummy, but thats seems not to be the case.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by bisiaet: 2:06pm On May 24, 2011
The truth is there is no point wasting our time on issue like this because no amount of word any body says here is just a total waste of time our people can not and will never change in their unwarranted references to Pastors and so on as if there were no pastors in other country or the pastors in other countries are not serving God this is what I dont understand though it is absolute good to honour men of God but in my country Nigeria its more than tripple honour.

Apart from "daddy and whatever syndrome" its unbeleiveable that so many take pastor above God talkless of mother, father, husband or wife if you talk too much soon or ask why? you will see someone qoute it out in the bible to placate the whole thing as a very nice things and say bible says it so please let us talk about something else biko.

May God help us
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by yesboss20(m): 2:08pm On May 24, 2011
People take it easy. Our Lord Jesus came into the world and changed da face of religion. We are to be like Christ and not religious.
I believe Pastor Adeboye is nt directly responsible for da 'daddy' tag but rather, it's da pple under him. Our entire faith is based on da heart. If u call him papa, so long as it's just for respect (spiritually) I thnk it's acceptd. Our hearts shld be fixed on Jesus completely.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by KennyG6(m): 2:10pm On May 24, 2011
yesboss20:

People take it easy. Our Lord Jesus came into the world and changed da face of religion. We are to be like Christ and not religious.
I believe Pastor Adeboye is nt directly responsible for da 'daddy' tag but rather, it's da pple under him. Our entire faith is based on da heart. If u call him papa, so long as it's just for respect (spiritually) I thnk it's acceptd. Our hearts shld be fixed on Jesus completely.
Well said sir
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Onuohasworld(m): 2:10pm On May 24, 2011
dont mind those fakers, they indirectly worship their pastors instead of god, a lotta hypocrites in church these dayz, u need to see them worshipin their pastors, even when they re told 2 jump inside fire
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 24, 2011
Why has the teachings of Jesus Christ become so irrelevant to so many today, are Christians not suppose to be followers of Christ?

[size=16pt]Matthew 23:9-12
9. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
10. Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ.
11. The greatest among you will be your servant.
12. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
[/size]
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by rabzy: 2:35pm On May 24, 2011
Matthew 23:9-12
9. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
12. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

As Christians, sometimes our capacity to disbelieve the scriptures and believe whatever suits us or what the pastor says is quite disturbing. There is no one that has the right nor the capacity to act as your spiritual 'father' especially when the person accepts it as title, all of us are children to our one father who is in the heaven.

What if the spiritual father messes up, or is wrong about things, what does he become?, what if you become more spiritually mature than he is, do you get to be his father.

You can have many fathers in different context, your relatives or your father's friend, may all culturally be your father. But there is only one spiritual father and one teacher.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by chinedumo(m): 2:49pm On May 24, 2011
MrBible:

Why has the teachings of Jesus Christ become so irrelevant to so many today, are Christians not suppose to be followers of Christ?

[size=16pt]Matthew 23:9-12
[/size]

ur quotation makes it sound like we are not to call our earthly parents father and mother

Listen read verse 12 again
Jesus is talking about pride
when u call someone father you are not Proud
it is the person being called Father that wants to be called father that is proud

Again the same way we say there are no other God but one God
is the same way we say there are no other father but one father

it means simply
we have many gods but ONE GOD OVER ALL
we have many fathers BUT ONE FATHER OVER ALL

always remember that ur father in heaven is the ultimate

1 Like

Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Dawdy(m): 2:54pm On May 24, 2011
Jesus says in mattew 23:9 and not call any one on earth your fathe, for you have one father, and he is in heaven.
As christians you have been for bidden by jesus not to call any1 on earth your father, including the ones responsible for your pregnancies, why then do you call them fathers?
This makes me understand that christianst are in astray far away. Father jesus refered to, is not biological father it means creator God but christians do not under stand they think it is the real father.
To make my explanation clear jesus says in mathew 5:9 blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God, if any body make peace irrespective of religion he becomes son of God according to jesus, that means being son of God is not natural or permanent it can only be archeived by good deed. Therefor children of God or son jesus used is not biological, it only means the one who follow the wills of God but christians get it twisted.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by vislabraye(m): 3:06pm On May 24, 2011
ALl that Papa and Daddy irritates me when I hear it. May be its because its not part of me. But the rate I hear it: for instance and 40 years old man would call a 45 year old pastor papa. Some thing is wrong here.
I can understand if he's a far older person and he's called daddy. But using the word , "Daddy" or "papa" is so intimate that I hardly share with many people. I prefer calling them sir.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by chines4(m): 3:10pm On May 24, 2011
This is funny, Catholic priest are called father (as in Rev. Father). then the Pentecostal quote Mathew 23:9, that its wrong to call catholic priest Father, and now they are now using Daddies and mummies, Papa and Mama grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by cvibe: 3:12pm On May 24, 2011
smiley lol
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by fummylolah: 3:16pm On May 24, 2011
Last week, saw WINNERS CHAPEL members wearing their anniversary uniform and they printed the picture of Bishop Oyedepo and his wife on the ankara uniform for their 30years anniversary,
It really shows the extent we followers also go,
But come to think of it, cant this leaders address this issues in their respective churches once and for all since people dont have to go to church because of them but for God,
Most church founders have built the church around themselves
Seems they also enjoy the hype,
God would never share his glory with anyone,
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by rabzy: 3:29pm On May 24, 2011
chinedumo:

your quotation makes it sound like we are not to call our earthly parents father and mother

Listen read verse 12 again
Jesus is talking about pride
when u call someone father you are not Proud
it is the person being called Father that wants to be called father that is proud

Again the same way we say there are no other God but one God
is the same way we say there are no other father but one father

it means simply
we have many gods but ONE GOD OVER ALL
we have many fathers BUT ONE FATHER OVER ALL

always remember that your father in heaven is the ultimate

We don't have many gods, though there are many gods (i.e to unbelievers) but to us there is only one God, There may be many fathers (title-loving religious leaders) but for us there is only one father.

You are not to call them fathers, this is not about biology or paternity, it is about leadership and humility amongst the apostles ad Jesus Christ has been explaining to them that they are not to be like the Pharisees, who likes attention, prominent places, titles etc. The followers of Christ are to be different, no one should be seen as being their leader or the 'face of the church'.

All ye are brothers
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nezan(m): 3:58pm On May 24, 2011
This whole thing is about hypnotism. People been hypnotised by the so called pentecostal pastors that they forget to worship God, transfering his glory to mere mortals who have graduated from milking people from tithe to sowing of seeds. You see the same mentality at motor parks, somebody will come, pretending to be praying for passengers only to turn around and demand for money after the prayer as if it was for sale. Jesus forbade us from calling our preachers "Father" since we have only one Spiritual Father who is in heaven and those brain-washed, hypnotised bunch are busy quoting Paul out of context.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Coolabbie: 4:02pm On May 24, 2011
shadrach77:

i can understand people calling a general overseer 'daddy' but calling a campus fellowship leader 'daddy'? that's beyond my imagination cry cry
Ditto 4 me. Wen I newly attended d fellowship & wz told to wait to meet wit the 'mama' I wz expecting to see a motherly figure but lo & behold I saw someone who could pass 4 my older sister. I had to ask if she wz married but she wasnt. In fact I dont even kno d names of our leaders as everyone calls dem 'papa' and 'mama'. Its almost lyk an unwritten code not to call deir names, which all members must adhere to.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 24, 2011
Which kind of 'daddy' buys a private jet when his children cannot afford 3 square meals ?

Which kind of 'daddy' takes tithes and offering from his kids to open a university the same kids cannot afford to go ?

Which kind of 'daddy' tells his children living in Ghana/Nigeria to donate money in dollars ?

Quite funny that just saw on TV about an investigation into yankee pastors that roll this way too.waiting to see what they are saying.1 even has an airport in his house
JESUS
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 24, 2011
paula white
problem dollar
Kenneth copeland($6 million dollars mansion,$20 million jet(fastest jet money can buy),has personal airport
investigated by the senate
they all refuse request for interview
he says his lifestyle follows the scripture
they asked him about his private jet
he walked away
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by hane(m): 4:20pm On May 24, 2011
Many christians turn these ministers to dictators. When you start calling your pastor daddy.
Then he sees himself  as a kind of semi-god who must be bow to and worshipped.
When others don't regard them as such they feel offended.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by dayokanu(m): 4:41pm On May 24, 2011
The only Papa i recognize is Abbas Akande Obesere, PAPA Tosibe

In NYSC self the people they call Papa and mama, Na one of my paddy dey shine Mama Congo wey even give am belle sef before dem go comot am

Later theassistant Mama snatched Mamas boyfriend, Na so devil take enter church oooo
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by dare2think: 5:03pm On May 24, 2011
dayokanu:

The only Papa i recognize is Abbas Akande Obesere, PAPA Tosibe

lol
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by KennyG6(m): 5:09pm On May 24, 2011
vislabraye:

ALl that Papa and Daddy irritates me when I hear it. May be its because its not part of me. But the rate I hear it: for instance and 40 years old man would call a 45 year old pastor papa. Some thing is wrong here. I can understand if he's a far older person and he's called daddy. But using the word , "Daddy" or "papa" is so intimate that I hardly share with many people. I prefer calling them sir.
But it's ok for a 45year old man to call his 25year old boss sir/daddy,
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by chinedumo(m): 5:14pm On May 24, 2011
rabzy:

We don't have many gods, though there are many gods (i.e to unbelievers) but to us there is only one God, There may be many fathers (title-loving religious leaders) but for us there is only one father.

You are not to call them fathers, this is not about biology or paternity, it is about leadership and humility amongst the apostles ad Jesus Christ has been explaining to them that they are not to be like the Pharisees, who likes attention, prominent places, titles etc. The followers of Christ are to be different, no one should be seen as being their leader or the 'face of the church'.

All ye are brothers

1 Cor 8:5
For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

Even though they might be called fathers, it does not change the fact that they are our brothers

it is the same Way Jesus is our GOD but also our brother
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Pukkah: 6:00pm On May 24, 2011
The extent to which Nigerians have taken religion is mind-boggling. 'Daddy' and 'Mummy'; 'psychological scam' indeed.
Re: Why The 'Daddy' Craze In Our Churches? by Pafuri(m): 6:52pm On May 24, 2011
"Mother-in-Israel". So funny I am laughing in Hebrew. Thieving father and whoring mother. Dumb-ass imbeciles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Your Eyes Your Mind!! Your Mind Your Eyes!!! / Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? / Top 10 Most Religious Countries In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.