Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss (13383 Views)

Working With A Bad Boss / How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? / Is Mr. B A Good Friend Or A Bad Friend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Encoredme(m): 3:19pm On Sep 13, 2021
Here are some suggestions that might help reduce the level of difficulty you have when working with your bad boss:

1. Look To Your Own Performance First
You might think your boss is being difficult because they are demanding a different level of output from you. Make sure you are clear on what they expect from you.

2. Realize You May Have Opposing Styles
You might be expecting something from your boss that they simply can't do. You might think they are unfriendly simply because they fail to say "Good morning." To them, that might simply be a waste of time. Examine your own expectations of what you think they should be doing. They may not be very outgoing or simply operate differently than what you're used to. Reset your expectations.

3. Learn The Boss
Spend some time really observing your boss to see what it is they do that is impacting you. In the process, you might learn that they are getting leaned on by their boss and it's creating extra stress. You could discover they aren't a morning person, meaning you should delay important interactions until after lunch. Figure out their rhythms and modify your own.

4. Don't Shrink
All too often, when we don't like someone, we go out of your way to avoid them. While I think this tactic can work to keep you under the radar, wait to do that until you clearly have exhausted all of your options. You may also find that more, not less, communication can help you with this type of person. Shrinking away into a dark corner won't help you.

5. Become Indispensable
If you've attempted to learn more about your boss, take it to the next level and become an indispensable employee. Focus on using your problem-solving skills and offer your boss additional help and support. This will help them shine to their own boss and also reduce reasons for finding fault with you. You can become the "go-to" person that they respect and depend on.

6. Let It Roll Off Of You
We will spend a lifetime running into people that are demanding, critical, and downright volatile. You need to learn the skill of blowing most of it off. Certainly, there will be some of it that will still bother you, but most of the time you can't let it affect you. I'm not suggesting ignoring your boss's needs or demands; I'm saying to not let their method of delivery be what grabs your attention or reaction. I have found that even the most difficult of bosses can be tamed or at least subdued.

I once worked for a guy who had even the most senior, sage people in tears. When I started working directly for him, I noticed he was quick to engage in verbal battle. If you stood up for yourself, he backed down. I soon figured out that he tested people. If they backed down, he was relentless. When I told him my observation, he laughed and told me I was the only person who had figured it out. He felt that if you were right about something, you would defend it and if you didn't defend it, he couldn't respect you. It was that simple. It was who he was—good or bad, but we always worked well together—and that's the most important part.

If you're dealing with a bad boss, be sure to follow these six tips. When you feel like quitting, just remember you can turn a bad situation around, but it does take work.

Source: https://www.workitdaily.com/what-to-do-bad-boss

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by FreeIgboho: 3:23pm On Sep 13, 2021
Cool
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by HRHQueenPhil(f): 3:48pm On Sep 13, 2021
If u are a bad boss or.boyfriend, I treat u like shit and as if u don't exist grin grin grin grin grin grin
My face and body language alone will make u have nightmares
Na u go dey fear me
It's wen u need me d most I wld resign

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Risingblue008(m): 5:07pm On Sep 20, 2021
Nothing
After all
No be him bad pass
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by richmond500: 5:07pm On Sep 20, 2021
K
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by PrinceOfLagos: 5:07pm On Sep 20, 2021
Especially those single old hag ladies

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by TempUser: 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
The only thing you can do is BE YOUR OWN BOSS
angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by janedonez(m): 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
Goo

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Justcruella: 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
Resign if you can, but if you can't, be on the hunt for a better job, while still on the job, then move, no time to deal with attitude, when your focus should be making money...

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by IKBARUTEN11(m): 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
What about setting him up with a bad olosho?
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Mr100Dollars: 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
I won't forget my boss back then, very anyhow man, na so i use Rachel90 for 2go set am up, i dey send am nude picture baba dey lock him office door i go just dey laugh for my desk, baba wey dey owe me salary for 2months, send Rachel 5k that year. I flex my boss money that year, he dey send me dey go buy recharge card, just to send back to me for sub... Wetin toto go do man ehn

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by MrrGary: 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Pussyassasin(m): 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
H.
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by tradepunter: 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
Cry
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by WibusJaga: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2021

After you've done all these & he still remains a bad boss, then it's time to look for another boss or become your own boss.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by socialmediaman: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2021
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Moscodee1990(m): 5:10pm On Sep 20, 2021
Resign
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by socialmediaman: 5:10pm On Sep 20, 2021
HRHQueenPhil:
If u are a bad boss or.boyfriend, I treat u like shit and as if u don't exist grin grin grin grin grin grin
My face and body language alone will make u have nightmares
Na u go dey fear me
It's wen u need me d most I wld resign

You may need a recommendation for your next job don’t forget that

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by BMathew: 5:11pm On Sep 20, 2021
Hmmmn�
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by money121(m): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2021
Ok
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Sharon6(f): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2021
When you have a bad boss, strive hard on becoming your OWN BOSS.. Trust me there's this kind of inner peace that comes with not MA/SIRing anybody.
A bad boss will everly be a bad boss, if you like carry limousine on your head for him he'll still ask you wetin you carry.

5 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by hismerhill(m): 5:17pm On Sep 20, 2021
I just left one's office. Make person no dey see something good at all. Only preconceived conclusions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by seunpas: 5:18pm On Sep 20, 2021
Just pray you don't have a bad BOSS
It's a terrible experience.

7 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Bukayot: 5:18pm On Sep 20, 2021
You may need a recommendation for your next job don’t forget that[/quote

That's just the fact. .
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by PrimadonnaO(f): 5:21pm On Sep 20, 2021
Resign, before things get sour, and you may be forced to omit that organization in your career history.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Sharon6(f): 5:35pm On Sep 20, 2021
Mr100Dollars:
I won't forget my boss back then, very anyhow man, na so i use Rachel90 for 2go set am up, i dey send am nude picture baba dey lock him office door i go just dey laugh for my desk, baba wey dey owe me salary for 2months, send Rachel 5k that year. I flex my boss money that year, he dey send me dey go buy recharge card, just to send back to me for sub... Wetin toto go do man ehn

Badt child grin grin

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by UltimateStarman: 5:39pm On Sep 20, 2021
well have it at the back of your mind that it's just a matter of time......
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Jolite(m): 5:42pm On Sep 20, 2021
Mr100Dollars:
But las las wetin come happen? You later set am for am or how una end?

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by kobosmart(m): 5:45pm On Sep 20, 2021
Talk to this guy if you have a horrible boss

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by professore(m): 6:05pm On Sep 20, 2021
Make sense
Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by yuping(m): 6:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
Some boss are just toxic. They just want only their family member or state person to be working only.
If only they pass through the normal process of getting to the position, but they pass through the means of getting married or being a family member of the CEO.
Abusing their power anyhow, sacking and shouting to the staff as they see fit.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 20, 2021
Quite insightful

(1) (2) (Reply)

Afritv Recruitment Process / When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? / Amaiden Energy Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (8 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.