Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,982 members, 7,810,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? (7252 Views)

Working With A Bad Boss / Married People With Children Earning Below 30k, How Do You Survive? / What To Do When You Have A Bad Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Rubyjade: 5:23am On Jul 17, 2022
How do you survive a bad boss?

It's a question I couldn't stop thinking about after writing an earlier piece on tough colleagues. What about when the boss is the one who's a bully, a micromanager, or just totally checked-out?

It's hard to think of something that matters more in a job. Your boss remains the key to everything from plum projects and bonuses to not hating your life.

It can get better, career coaches and researchers assured me.

A Survival Guide for Dealing With a Bad Boss
Life is too short to work for jerks. Here’s what to do when your boss is a micromanager, bully or completely MIA

Rachel Feintzeig
They hover over your shoulder, or send you a Slack every 10 minutes to ask about the report that’s not due until next week. They’re a screamer, a bully, an expert at lodging passive-aggressive jabs, generally in front of all your colleagues. Or maybe they’ve just ghosted you, leaving you to figure out the new gig on your own.

As long as there’s been work, there have been people who make it miserable for those underneath them. And the recent spate of job-switching has given rise to some job regret. Desperate for talent, many companies swiftly promoted new, sometimes unproven, managers and at the same time accelerated their hiring processes to snap up prospects before rival employers did, says Cate Luzio, the founder and CEO of professional development organization Luminary.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Hamachi(f): 5:25am On Jul 17, 2022
When I first heard the term "Manage your Manager" back in 2014 I knew we were in trouble. If I have to manage my Manager then what is my Manager doing and what are they actually getting paid to do

9 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by QuinModah(f): 5:32am On Jul 17, 2022
In some workplaces, reorgs and personnel changes are constant, which means that you might be getting a new boss every few months.

Managing your relationship with your boss is challenging enough as it is. When that person changes every six months, the task becomes a lot more difficult—and time-consuming.

Therefore in the process, you equally need to be on the watch for the red flags if, in In top-down power structures, employees are considered to be objects or expenses rather than assets; there is little concern for their happiness or well-being since the motive for hiring them was purely productivity and profit. In these pressure-cookers, there's little evidence of leaders displaying compassion and empathy in seeing employees as valued human beings. As a result, you'll encounter high levels of stress, turnover, absenteeism, and burnout.

Is there too much control such that the work environment is overbearing and stifling because managers/Those in charge want control over all decisions? Such managers distrust the team, so tasks rarely get delegated to others. There's hardly room for group discussion or input because the management style is autocratic, which limits creativity and the team's desire to learn new things.
Not forgetting Narcissistic tendencies
whereby the manager often belittles a team member's work and might even ridicule staff at meetings. When he needs something from you, he may become threatening. At his most toxic, he/She will make you doubt yourself and your ultimate value to the company.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by lavylilly: 5:48am On Jul 17, 2022
After reading through your article, I recalled every good and bad boss I've ever had! I had experiences of the micromanaging boss and the aloof boss and it's amazing that what you pointed out on how to handle each of them is exactly what I did! I gave every bit of information to the micromanager, even information that they weren't asking for but I thought was relevant to project. I set the structure for an aloof boss and in the end it created a harmony in both working relationships.

It's was something very hard to navigate in the moment, but I'm happy to say that those skills I learned from both of those kinds of bosses help me with my work today.

Great tips! And I hope everyone who is in similar situations can put these strategies into practice. ��

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Dynamicbliss: 6:03am On Jul 17, 2022
Quit

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 17, 2022
Sack him
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Hamachi(f): 1:13pm On Jul 17, 2022
Someone recently told me, "Education is the key, but the government has changed the padlock."

You might think that this is unique to this country, but that is not the case.

The current state of the world demonstrates that, regardless of your certificate, you require skills. Your certificate will only allow you to enter through the front door.

Then you might be asked, "What can you do?" Your skills, experiences, self-development, and growth will get you the job.

Think outside the box, because passing exams, getting a degree and landing your dream job is no longer the norm.

This year, I resolved to work and position myself so that when opportunities arise, they do not catch me off guard.

I earned a degree in History and International Studies, and currently I am an administrative assistant who is about to begin a career in human resources since that is where my interests lie.

To enhance and develop myself in this career path, I registered for an HRM professional course about a month ago

In some weeks, I'll be taking my exams. I also enrolled in McKinsey & Company McKinsey Academy's Leadership, Adaptability, and Resilience courses to enhance myself with all required knowledge.

I will begin my participation in the ALX-T ALX Virtual Assistant Program on July 12. In the meantime, I also work as an administrative intern, gaining as much corporate experience as possible.

I was recruited here on NL.

Dear #NLfamily, It's been a while. I hope we're all fine. Remember to always position yourself for opportunities as success happens when opportunity meet preparation.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by SMJay: 11:49pm On Jul 17, 2022
Had to Re-echo this!!

Relationships will take you further than competence ever will.

Build relationship and not just skills and competence!!!

Your relationships will be the platform upon which your skills and competence will find expression.

Enjoy

9 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Rubyjade: 6:57am On Jul 18, 2022
Dynamicbliss:
Quit
when you don't have an alternative?
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Rubyjade: 9:01am On Aug 31, 2022
grin
zimdante:
Sack him
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Hamachi(f): 5:17am On Sep 06, 2022
Dynamicbliss:
Quit
certainly

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Rubyjade: 2:16pm On Sep 25, 2022
wink
SMJay:
Had to Re-echo this!!

Relationships will take you further than competence ever will.

Build relationship and not just skills and competence!!!

Your relationships will be the platform upon which your skills and competence will find expression.

Enjoy
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by SMJay: 11:41pm On Oct 02, 2022
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Rubyjade: 4:13am On Feb 14, 2023
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Exceed15: 11:15am On Feb 14, 2023
Continue managing until you jet out for something better.
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by sukkot: 11:16am On Feb 14, 2023
quit. no time. life too short for nonsense

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Neduzze5(m): 11:18am On Feb 14, 2023
Be badder!!
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by bigdammyj: 11:18am On Feb 14, 2023
Reading...
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by fykes(m): 11:18am On Feb 14, 2023
You don't....get out and find another job
Or
You stay and learn what you can.

When in a job, you either learn or earn, doing both is great, when you are doing neither, move on....

A boss is as human as you...if he's not nice, let him know ASAP
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Goodlady(f): 11:19am On Feb 14, 2023
Honestly it's not easy.
A times, one ll feel like I can't cope with toxic people.
There are times one ll feel like quiting or retaliating.
But the best solution is to walk away before doing something stupid.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by atdscentofwater: 11:23am On Feb 14, 2023
Be polite.
On d other hand, if really any boss as all dis qualification above then he/she is not expecting a productive staff.
Its time to brush ur CV & look else where.
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by SoftP(m): 11:23am On Feb 14, 2023
Give him Aki & Paw-Paw’s treatment grin
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by seanwilliam(m): 11:23am On Feb 14, 2023
I arranged area boys for am grin
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by AFRICANJAMAICA: 11:24am On Feb 14, 2023
Ok

Nigerians survived APC and buhari that mr tinubu deceived them with...bad boss aint shit grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by tobidipity(m): 11:24am On Feb 14, 2023
Hamachi:
When I first heard the term "Manage your Manager" back in 2014 I knew we were in trouble. If I have to manage my Manager then what is my Manager doing and what are they actually getting paid to do

They are getting paid to manage you as well. In other word, everyone is a manager

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Reelmii: 11:24am On Feb 14, 2023
.. God will see u tru till u get a better placement...

Because truthfully leaving that environment is the only solution....
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Sixfeetbelle: 11:25am On Feb 14, 2023
Does anyone know why GTB banks are closed for work on a Tuesday Morning?

Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Claraoby: 11:25am On Feb 14, 2023
I resign for my mental health

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by chudez0147(m): 11:25am On Feb 14, 2023
Very simple.
Do your job and go home. No relationship or whatever.

Shey! When applying for the job you wrote able to word under pressure angry

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Kingkamba(m): 11:26am On Feb 14, 2023
Very easy. Make sure you understand your work very well. Understand the financial policies of the company if you are a accountant. Upgrade your professional abilities. Get some certifications like Ican if you are a finance person. Apply for top position and get hired, then watch him beg you like crazy. I have done it with a crazy Chinese boss, and it worked for me. I became a hot cake when I got qualified as a Chartered Accountant. He begged me to work but I turned him down because I was the new bride. So many offers on my table. In fact that was the sweetest revenge I ever had in my life.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Survive A Bad Boss? by Hassanmaye(m): 11:26am On Feb 14, 2023
Rubyjade:
How do you survive a bad boss?

It's a question I couldn't stop thinking about after writing an earlier piece on tough colleagues. What about when the boss is the one who's a bully, a micromanager, or just totally checked-out?

It's hard to think of something that matters more in a job. Your boss remains the key to everything from plum projects and bonuses to not hating your life.

It can get better, career coaches and researchers assured me.

A Survival Guide for Dealing With a Bad Boss
Life is too short to work for jerks. Here’s what to do when your boss is a micromanager, bully or completely MIA

Rachel Feintzeig
They hover over your shoulder, or send you a Slack every 10 minutes to ask about the report that’s not due until next week. They’re a screamer, a bully, an expert at lodging passive-aggressive jabs, generally in front of all your colleagues. Or maybe they’ve just ghosted you, leaving you to figure out the new gig on your own.

As long as there’s been work, there have been people who make it miserable for those underneath them. And the recent spate of job-switching has given rise to some job regret. Desperate for talent, many companies swiftly promoted new, sometimes unproven, managers and at the same time accelerated their hiring processes to snap up prospects before rival employers did, says Cate Luzio, the founder and CEO of professional development organization Luminary.
I have started thinking of quiting my job since last week, I'm the only that he always complain of, just this morning we came to work at the same time with a lady in our office, but this Man was just blastering me that I came late.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Seedstars Nigeria: People Operations Lead Vacancy / Whatsapp Job Group Link / Kindly Help With Directions From Oshodi To Isheri-magodo, Berger.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.