Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,741 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing (2870 Views)

Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Marry Other ' Christians '? / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Believe In Miracles? / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by wehla(m): 6:53am On Sep 19, 2021
The Jehovah's witnesses seems to be the only christian denomination not putting emphasis on tithe which has dominated the theme of most churches. From the Bible, tithing is not one of the criteria to make everlasting life and enjoy God's favour

2 Likes

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by rottennaija(m): 7:10am On Sep 19, 2021
wehla:
The Jehovah's witnesses seems to be the only christian denomination not putting emphasis on tithe which has dominated the theme of most churches. From the Bible, tithing is not one of the criteria to make everlasting life and enjoy God's favour

They don't have to. They have many ways of making money and they make a lot of money and lots of it. Make you research and you will see that the JWs make so much money than other religion through many fronts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:26am On Sep 19, 2021
wehla:

Tithing in Christianity is unscriptural so we don't pay nor receive tithes. Hebrews 7:5-12
The above commentator is right because our God promised us that the New Covenant is far better than the Old Covenant {Jeremiah 31:31-34} with which tithes was established and under compulsion. Deuteronomy 14:26

Money with real value comes from the heart of cheerful givers not what is made under compulsion {2Corinthians 9:7 compare to Mark 12:42-44} no wonder tithing became like a burden in ancient Israel! Nehemiah 13:10

So since no individual is the soul benefactor of what God's people gather from sincere and honest hearted givers the Organization is practicing true Christianity without heaping heavy loads on anyone! Matthew 11:28-30

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by Aboks(m): 7:42am On Sep 19, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Tithing in Christianity is unscriptural so we don't pay nor receive tithes. Hebrews 7:5-12
The above commentator is right because our God promised us that the New Covenant is far better than the Old Covenant {Jeremiah 31:31-34} with which tithes was established and under compulsion. Deuteronomy 14:26

Real money with benefits comes from the heart of cheerful givers not what is made under compulsion {2Corinthians 9:7} no wonder tithing became like a burden in ancient Israel! Nehemiah 13:10

So since no individual is the soul benefactor of what God's people gather from sincere and honest hearted givers the Organization is practicing true Christianity without heaping heavy loads on anyone! Matthew 11:28-30

Nice
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by thesicilian: 7:48am On Sep 19, 2021
Tithing is an old testament doctrine that most penticostal preachers can't afford to leave behind because of the huge profits it generates.

1 Like

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by orisa37: 7:59am On Sep 19, 2021
They should pay VAT ON ALL THEIR SOURCES OF REVENUE EARNINGS..
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by joe54: 8:02am On Sep 19, 2021
Don't mind all this fake pastorpreneurs
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 8:10am On Sep 19, 2021
First every church collects money one way or the other including JW. They may call it by different names but athe the end its the same money.
Again, do your research, the JW are not the only ones that don't pay tithe.
I know a few envegelical churches in the US that don't pay. They only make contributions.
Finally, in the new testement, Christians were required to give 10% but 100%.
They were asked to sell all they have and give all to the church.
Those who held anything back were stuck dead.
I personally don't know many churches that do 100% today
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by chuose2: 8:12am On Sep 19, 2021
These Jehovah Witnesses have a satanic foundation

Their founder Charles Taze Russel was a Freemason, just like Adeboye, Kumuyi & Oyedepo are all freemasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsU45pBvRNU?t=23

1 Like

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by DappaD: 8:48am On Sep 19, 2021
wehla:

Very true!

Under the Mosaic Law, the Israelites were required to give a tenth of what they had to the Levitical priests(those working in the temple courtyard) and those Levites were required to give a tenth of what they had to Aaron’s priesthood(those serving as High Priests). Numbers 18:21-30

But Christ cancelled the Mosaic Law with his death(Ephesians 2:15) and became the new High Priest(Hebrews 6:20) so there is no physical Most Holy on earth anymore for a human high priest to enter, as heaven had already replaced it(Hebrews 9:24) which means that we don’t need to contribute a tenth of our physical belongings to give to him. All we have to do is listen to and obey his commandments. Matthew 28:19-20, John 15:10

Next time you come cross people who emphasize on the giving of tithes, ask them if they pay their tithes to Levites and those who came from the fleshly bloodline of Aaron. Since the answer will definitely be NO, then it shows they’ve been misled all this while because the death of the Christ terminated all those arrangements under the Mosaic Law. Colossians 2:13-17

1 Like

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:54am On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:
First every church collects money one way or the other including JW. They may call it by different names but athe the end its the same money.
I know a few envegelical churches in the US that don't pay. They only make contributions.

The highlighted is wrong or maybe i should say a lie.
Nobody ASKED the first century Christians to sell their belongings and give to the church, it was the idea of few Jewish brothers who felt like using their surplus to alleviate poverty in the midst of less privileged members! Act 4:34-35

The idea was a bad one because Jesus taught us that poverty will continue until God's Kingdom come {Mark 14:7} so when a Christian couple died due to the arrangement the first century Christians stopped it never to repeat such a thing only for anyone to bring whatever their heart compels them! 2Corinthians 9:7

May you have PEACE! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:58am On Sep 19, 2021
chuose2:

These Jehovah Witnesses have a satanic foundation
Their founder Charles Taze Russel was a Freemason, just like Adeboye, Kumuyi & Oyedepo are all freemasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsU45pBvRNU?t=23

People do accuse people because talk is cheap {Matthew 10:25} but Jesus said "by their FRUITS you will know them" {Matthew 7:16-18} which is the reason why the OP could SEE the light shining brightly in the midst of the one and only Christian Organization! Matthew 5:13-16 smiley
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by DappaD: 9:02am On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

Wow. I wonder where the words in bold were stated in the Bible. And that word “required” is such a strong word, don’t you think? Funny because such reasoning is not found anywhere in the New Testament. Whoever had to give was to give willingly, you never had the apostles tell anybody what they had to do(Acts 4:34) in fact Peter mentioned that if Ananias and Sapphira had chosen not to sell their field, it would have been totally fine and okay. Acts 5:4

The tithing arrangement of 10% was abolished and is not in force amongst true Christians.

1Corinthians 16:2
“On the first day of every week, each of you should set something aside according to his own means, so that collections will not take place when I arrive.”

Notice that Paul didn’t specify what each member of the congregation was supposed to contribute, he didn’t mention any 10% or 100% but he said according to the person’s means and it should be from a willing heart in order to please God(2Corinthians 9:7) not someone who merely wants to give as a duty. If you notice, neither was the person who gave promised good health, good job etc etc as Churches in Christendom practice when one gives.
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by paulGrundy(m): 10:14am On Sep 19, 2021
Mm
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 12:09pm On Sep 19, 2021
DappaD:

Wow. I wonder where the words in bold were stated in the Bible. And that word “required” is such a strong word, don’t you think? Funny because such reasoning is not found anywhere in the New Testament. Whoever had to give was to give willingly, you never had the apostles tell anybody what they had to do(Acts 4:34) in fact Peter mentioned that if Ananias and Sapphira had chosen not to sell their field, it would have been totally fine and okay. Acts 5:4

The tithing arrangement of 10% was abolished and is not in force amongst true Christians.

1Corinthians 16:2
“On the first day of every week, each of you should set something aside according to his own means, so that collections will not take place when I arrive.”

Notice that Paul didn’t specify what each member of the congregation was supposed to contribute, he didn’t mention any 10% or 100% but he said according to the person’s means and it should be from a willing heart in order to please God(2Corinthians 9:7) not someone who merely wants to give as a duty. If you notice, neither was the person who gave promised good health, good job etc etc as Churches in Christendom practice when one gives.
You used the word willingly and I agree. We are not forced to keep any commandment.
Then you said tithe was abolished but you failed to quote any scripture to prove it.
I agree, no one should be forced to contribute but that isn't the discussion here.
The early Christian's sold all and lay it at the feet of the apostles and still they were asked to donate every week.
Now let it be noted that the tithe isn't the law of Moses. It's the law of God to his people and it was before Moses.
If the law was abolished, it would have been revealed.
In summary, the bible speaks of at least 3 kinds of donations
1. Tithe
2. Weekly contributions
3. Giving 100%
None was abolished for the other at any time.. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by DappaD: 12:37pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

You used the word willingly and I agree. We are not forced to keep any commandment.
Then you said tithe was abolished but you failed to quote any scripture to prove it.

Tithing was a requirement under the Mosaic Law. The Israelites had to give a tenth of their belongings to priests serving at the temple while those priests at the temple would give a tenth of what they received to the High Priest that came from Aaron’s descent. Numbers 18:21-30

My question is, the people who claim to pay tithes today, are they paying it to the natural Levites and those who descended from the family of Aaron? Because from what we know, the former covenant God had with the fleshly Israelites was done away with(Jeremiah 31:31) when Jesus became the High Priest(Hebrews 6:20) and became the mediator of a new covenant. Hebrews 9:15

I agree, no one should be forced to contribute but that isn't the discussion here.
The early Christian's sold all and lay it at the feet of the apostles and still they were asked to donate every week.
Now let it be noted that the tithe isn't the law of Moses.
It's the law of God to his people and it was before Moses.

Excuse me, tithing only became an obligation/commandment when the covenant associated with the Mosaic Law was established. Deuteronomy 14:22

Prior to that, there was never any command in the book of Genesis that the patriarchs had to give a tenth of what they had. Abraham and Jacob gave simply because they wanted to, not because they were commanded.
If you don’t agree, you’ll have to show me where Isaac offered up any such tithes since you claim it was a law.

1. Tithe2. Weekly contributions3. Giving 100%None was abolished for the other at any time.. I stand to be corrected.

Read the Bible for yourself!

Ephesians 2:15
“By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, in order to make the two groups in union with himself into one new man and to make peace,”

Other Scriptures to support this include:

Romans 10:4
“Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.”

Colossians 2:13,14
“Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.”

Hebrews 7:8,12
vs 8 “And in the one case, it is men who are dying who receive tithes, but in the other case, it is someone of whom witness is given that he lives.”

vs 12 “For since the priesthood is being changed, it becomes necessary to change the Law as well
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 1:18pm On Sep 19, 2021
DappaD:

Tithing was a requirement under the Mosaic Law. The Israelites had to give a tenth of their belongings to priests serving at the temple while those priests at the temple would give a tenth of what they received to the High Priest that came from Aaron’s descent. Numbers 18:21-30

My question is, the people who claim to pay tithes today, are they paying it to the natural Levites and those who descended from the family of Aaron? Because from what we know, the former covenant God had with the fleshly Israelites was done away with(Jeremiah 31:31) when Jesus became the High Priest(Hebrews 6:20) and became the mediator of a new covenant. Hebrews 9:15

Excuse me, tithing only became an obligation/commandment when the covenant associated with the Mosaic Law was established. Deuteronomy 14:22

Prior to that, there was never any command in the book of Genesis that the patriarchs had to give a tenth of what they had. Abraham and Jacob gave simply because they wanted to, not because they were commanded.
If you don’t agree, you’ll have to show me where Isaac offered up any such tithes since you claim it was a law.

Read the Bible for yourself!

Ephesians 2:15
“By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, in order to make the two groups in union with himself into one new man and to make peace,”

Other Scriptures to support this include:

Romans 10:4
“Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.”

Colossians 2:13,14
“Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.”

Hebrews 7:8,12
vs 8 “And in the one case, it is men who are dying who receive tithes, but in the other case, it is someone of whom witness is given that he lives.”

vs 12 “For since the priesthood is being changed, it becomes necessary to change the Law as well

Like earlier stated, Abraham and the ancient father's did not give the Lord 10% of their wealth because they just felt like.

That's never how it happened. It was because it was the right thing to do in the sight of God.
In our religion, we don't just do whatever we feel like but what the Lord require's of us.
In religion, man does not dictate how to worship. Our worship can only come as revelation from God.
If Abraham was inventing his own worship, then it is Apostasy.
Abraham was commanded to pay tithes. It was not his own creation

Again let me stress that all forms of church donations are voluntary.
The early Christians gave all and shared all things in common. How many churches do that today?
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:03pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

Like earlier stated, Abraham and the ancient father's did not give the Lord 10% of their wealth because they just felt like.

That's never how it happened. It was because it was the right thing to do in the sight of God.
Can you defend the highlighted with the scriptures? smiley

In our religion, we don't just do whatever we feel like but what the Lord require's of us.
In religion, man does not dictate how to worship. Our worship can only come as revelation from God.

The early Christians gave all and shared all things in common. How many churches do that today?

The highlighted is a lie because most Church title chiefs often CURSE anyone who failed to pay them tithes! smiley

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by DappaD: 2:14pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

There were a lot of other things that Abraham did which the Israelites didn’t and couldn’t do, so please relax this is not about creating a different form of worship. Also remember we are no longer in the Abrahamic period so let’s get past that. I believe the Scriptures provided are sufficient enough for the points I’ve made. All you have to do is provide where the highlighted was stated in the Scriptures.
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 2:55pm On Sep 19, 2021
DappaD:

There were a lot of other things that Abraham did which the Israelites didn’t and couldn’t do, so please relax this is not about creating a different form of worship. Also remember we are no longer in the Abrahamic period so let’s get past that. I believe the Scriptures provided are sufficient enough for the points I’ve made. All you have to do is provide where the highlighted was stated in the Scriptures.
The point you made was that tithe was the law of Moses. My point was that. It was older than the law of Moses. So it does not fall into under the scriptures you have mentioned.
Then I pointed to the new testement way where the church share all things in common and everyone is provided according to his needs.
This is not about 10% but 100%
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 2:59pm On Sep 19, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Can you defend the highlighted with the scriptures? smiley

The highlighted is a lie because most Church title chiefs often CURSE anyone who failed to pay them tithes! smiley
If I may understand you, you want a scripture that teaches you that it's wrong for man to create comandments for themselves. But we rather follow commandments from God.
You talked about most churches, we'll I have visted many churches that don't force tithe.
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:03pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

If I may understand you, you want a scripture that teaches you that it's wrong for man to create comandments for themselves. But we rather follow commandments from God.
You talked about most churches, we'll I have visted many churches that don't force tithe.

So in a nutshell you have no backing for what you're saying.

Abeg go sidon! smiley
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 3:06pm On Sep 19, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

So in a nutshell you have no backing for what you're saying.

Abeg go sidon! smiley
I think you are confused or maybe I don't understand you. And learn to be polite. On the last day, we would not be judged by the church we attended but by our words

1 Like

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by achorladey: 3:08pm On Sep 19, 2021
wehla:

It is in the realm of SEEM. They don't have to put emphasis on TITHE but they can put emphasis on voluntary contributions everytime at their meetings, gatherings and publications.

They say it is voluntary contribution and even gets regulated and regimented by placing a certain amount on each member at the end of each month or a certain amount of money a member is meant to accept to voluntary contribute at the end of the monthgrin grin.
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by achorladey: 3:12pm On Sep 19, 2021
rottennaija:

They don't have to. They have many ways of making money and they make a lot of money and lots of it. Make you research and you will see that the JWs make so much money than other religion through many fronts.

In recent times the hammering of the need to contribute into the ears of their members is relentless. Even when poor you must still voluntary contribute grin grin
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:32pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

I think you are confused or maybe I don't understand you. And learn to be polite. On the last day, we would not be judged by the church we attended but by our words
The highlighted is on you for saying what you can't proof yet claiming it's supported by God's word! Revelations 22:18-19

So if you don't know what God's word says it's better you keep quiet {Ecclesiastes 3:7} and allow those who knows to speak with scriptural backings! smiley
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 3:42pm On Sep 19, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

The highlighted is on you for saying what you can't proof yet claiming it's supported by God's word! Revelations 22:18-19

So if you don't know what God's word says it's better you keep quiet {Ecclesiastes 3:7} and allow those who knows to speak with scriptural backings! smiley
Mr man what is your question. Make yourself clear.
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by tctrills: 3:47pm On Sep 19, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

I noticed you have added nothing to this topic and I no one appointed you as topic moderator
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:56pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

Mr man what is your question. Make yourself clear.

tctrills:

[1]Abraham was commanded to pay tithes. It was not his own creation.

[2]Again let me stress that all forms of church donations are voluntary.

[3]The early Christians gave all and shared all things in common.

[1] Where Abraham was COMMANDED to pay tithes.

[2] All forms of Church donations are voluntary.

[3] The early Christians gave all and shared all things in common

Back these with the scriptures and prove the other one because there are thousands of Church founders who are still laying CURSES on any of their members who failed to pay the tithe! undecided
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:58pm On Sep 19, 2021
tctrills:

I noticed you have added nothing to this topic and I no one appointed you as topic moderator

My contribution:

MaxInDHouse:

Money with real value comes from the heart of cheerful givers not what is made under compulsion {2Corinthians 9:7 compare to Mark 12:42-44} no wonder tithing became like a burden in ancient Israel! Nehemiah 13:10

Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by haddeylium(m): 7:04pm On Sep 19, 2021
wehla:

Maybe because we follow the principle at 2 Corinthians 9:7

“Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
Re: Why Only Jehovah's Witnesses Not Emphasize Tithing by Sambab(m): 9:01am On Sep 20, 2021
tctrills:

Now let it be noted that the tithe isn't the law of Moses. It's the law of God to his people and it was before Moses.
1. Tithe
2. Weekly contributions
3. Giving 100%
None was abolished for the other at any time.. I stand to be corrected.

Stop qouting the wrong, don't say what bible doesn't say...
No where in the Bible anyone was told to give
100%, those that did it, did so to allivate poverty among themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Traditional Anglicans Welcome Vatican Announcement With Joy / True Christians Ma Stu Rbate / Woman Grabs Pastor's Manhood In Church Service (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.