Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person (6219 Views)

Oba Adamson Punches, Injures Chief, Alleges Disrespect / Juice At Igbo Traditional Wedding Is A Disrespect To Culturetu / Lady Makes Shorts With "Isi Agu": "This Is A Total Disrespect To Our Culture" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person by CelestineNelson: 5:13pm On Sep 19, 2021
In Yoruba land, recently I discovered that, when a young man, is talking and decided to use a parable to convey or express his message, he will first of all apologies to the elders, before using it.

However, I am not a Yoruba person but I use an adage sometimes to express my self. Hope I am not being insultive? And why is it considered an insult in the first place. I thought using figure of speech, adage, parables, and other related communication expression aids should be seen as a function and display of oratory intelligence. Besides JESUS use it, alot even infront of elders of the Jews and even Literature supports that.

Elders in the Land, over to you Please!

Moderators let this debate hit the front page please.
Re: Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person by EmptyGarden(m): 5:16pm On Sep 19, 2021
Apparently they're the only ones allowed to confuse you, you're not allowed to confuse them.
I once used one in the midst of much older men, the place became silent afterwards. they never understood it, and they couldn't ask... Dem still dey avoid me till now, as I no get respect

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person by LordIsaac(m): 6:14pm On Sep 19, 2021
Even in formal letters, we were taught to avoid the use of some figures of speech as they are deemed impolite.
Re: Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person by ESANMEA(f): 6:31pm On Sep 19, 2021
EmptyGarden:
Apparently they're the only ones allowed to confuse you, you're not allowed to confuse them.
I once used one in the midst of much older men, the place became silent afterwards. they never understood it, and they couldn't ask... Dem still dey avoid me till now, as I no get respect
grin grin
Re: Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person by CelestineNelson: 7:14pm On Sep 19, 2021
LordIsaac:
Even in formal letters, we were taught to avoid the use of some figures of speech as they are deemed impolite.
That's when you use them out of context I think, but we are talking of a context based scenario here...
Re: Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person by laiperi: 7:17pm On Sep 21, 2021
Just be careful about misuse or correctness of the adage. It is a blunder to quote out of context.

Start by acknowledging the source: Swahili proverb says.....

The elders will be happy.
Re: Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person by OG1BABY(f): 3:13pm On Sep 24, 2021
Over to the elders

(1) (Reply)

Origin Of Ohafia War Dance (download MP3 Audio) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark / The Idoma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.