Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,536 members, 7,827,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

How To Write A Police Statement - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Write A Police Statement (3470 Views)

A Police Officer Fatally Shot A Female Lawyer, Omobolanle Raheem, In Lagos (pix) / Muric Makes A Case For A Police Corporal Ph.d Holder. / 68 People Died After Fire Swept Through The Cell Inside A Police Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Write A Police Statement by OpatolaEsq: 5:24am On Sep 20, 2021
How to write a Police Statement.

Opatola Victor Esq.
adeopatola@gmail.com
0904 181 5408

As Lawyer, my eyes don see many things. I have seen cases where some Police officers write confessional Statement and threaten the suspect to sign it.

��‍♂️��‍♂️��‍♂️.....some Police officers will tell you to just write what they say and once you write as they dictate to you they promise not to charge you to Court. Some police blatantly beat confessional Statement out of the suspect.

Never ever underestimate the effect of Police Statement. Especially if it incriminates the writer, because it can be used as evidence to convict you in Court.

Insist on having your Lawyer present when writing a Police Statement or interrogation.

You must understand that it is your right to have your Lawyer present while writing your Statement, in some states when you demand for your Lawyer before writing a statement and the police refuses, then it may be a ground to dismiss the confessional Statement as a whole.

Insist on having your Lawyer.
Don't be shy or timid, before you timidly incriminate your self and timidly enter prison.

Below are what to do before writing a confessional statement:

1. Insist on having your Lawyer present before writing your statement or before police interrogation. Why, it serves as incentive for Police to act according to the Law, it curtails the use of force or threat by the Police.

2. Calm down, don't allow anybody rush you and don't rush yourself into writing a confessional Statement. Think before even writing anything. Whatever you write can land you prison or help you out of a court case, so be calm and think twice before writing anything.

3. Be brief. No verbosity. The devil is in the details. Don't give unnecessary story. If a petition was written against you, address only the salient points in the petition.

The police can also ask you some questions when you are writing your statement, think twice before answering and writing it too.

4. Never leave space when writing your statement. No paragraph. You write from line to line.

Why?

This is to ensure that no other person can include anything in your statement after you have written it and gone.

5. Your statement is called your statement because it is your statement, because it is your story and nobody should dictate what you know or what you remember and don't remember.

What you don't know or remember should be written as what you don't remember. Sometimes, some Police will want to force you to write what you don't remember or what you don't know, don't try it.

6. Write important dates and facts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Write A Police Statement by Rikze: 5:47am On Sep 20, 2021
shocked

Many thanks OP!

I find this piece very educative even though I've never been detained by the police who will demand a statement from me.

I learnt some vital lessons...

Lalasticlacla this is front page worthy, let's educate the populace...

2 Likes

Re: How To Write A Police Statement by ItsGoodToBeGood: 6:21am On Sep 20, 2021
Thanks for sharing,,,

In a lawless country like Nigeria, you will not only need your lawyer, you will need Jesus also cos those men in black are something else....

Had a little encounter with them and I was like, are these not the same people that I hail and exchange pleasantries with on the road?

Damn! They are monsters in human form. They can deny you for the paper.

2 Likes

Re: How To Write A Police Statement by GardenOfGod(m): 6:58am On Sep 20, 2021
Insightful.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Korede's Video 'Godwin' Sparks Up Gay Controversy. / Biography Of Ooni Of Ife's New Bride: Tope Adesegun / What Did You Lie About Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.