Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,245 members, 7,836,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? (29238 Views)

How To Write Your Background To The Study Very Fast And Well / Unknown Animal With Hunchback Chase Kids From School VIDEO PICS / Woman Recounts How She Almost Lost Her Two Kids From School's Negligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by airsaylongcome: 12:37pm On Sep 25, 2021
NaWeDeyHere:

Kids from poor homes (not all of them) often choose courses they feel everyone is into and hope they will get a stable job e.g Business Admin, Mass Communications, Law - but the truth is, the more common (popular) your course, the less monetary value or rewards. like a charge/bail lawyer or "Banker" (clerk) - unpopular STEM courses often carry better wages and rewards especially if you become an entreprenuer

U Wan spoil market o. But you have stated the facts. Even among the popular STEM courses there are still unpopular specialities. That's where the real money is. Loads of people today are diving in to IT and specifically programming. Or should you I say Web development. You see everyone shouting "fullstack", "Frontend", "backend" developers. They mention all the fancy languages. Overflood that area whereas language like C++ is heavily overlooked. To the advantage of many

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 12:38pm On Sep 25, 2021
Madeu:

The current and future is STEM courses and career in that field keeps evolving creating opportunities for people in the industry. From the industrial revolution to our current reality. It's Very easy for STEM professionals to adapt to the reality at any given point in time.

The Law of supply and Demand doesn't come into play.
We are going into space exploration, can you imagine how bright the opportunities abound for STEM professionals?

It does. As of 2019, the US had 9% of aerospace engineers unemployed with another 3% working in other fields. I’m sure other countries have similar..
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Sleekfingers: 12:39pm On Sep 25, 2021
Madeu:

The op knows what he's saying. Look at fortune 500 companies in the world, tell me where photography, music, catering and hotel management fall into. Those are courses you don't need to attend a university. An associate or a diploma is enough.

All stems courses. In a country like Nigeria, we need to refine our crude oil, design and build the car we ride, power our home, road and industries, and control our Internet.

Diploma is enough for music abi? Do you know how broad music is? You think I am talking about those pangolo music, most nigerian musicians dey do?

That's why nigerian government need to invest more in education......
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Tbeiz: 12:40pm On Sep 25, 2021
Telegram234:

U are a fu3king illiterate.
Those course dont matter here in Nigeria.
But they matter a lot internationally.
Do u think those one will even plan to work in Nigeria. They get their BSc and relocate to abroad..

You didn't have to throw an insult, it's a simple question on his mind.

Ps. You might need to rethink your shallow answer as well.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 12:40pm On Sep 25, 2021
airsaylongcome:

U Wan spoil market o. But you have stated the facts. Even among the popular STEM courses there are still unpopular specialities. That's where the real money is. Loads of people today are diving in to IT and specifically programming. Or should you I say Web development. You see everyone shouting "fullstack", "Frontend", "backend" developers. They mention all the fancy languages. Overflood that area whereas language like C++ is heavily overlooked. To the advantage of many

You are right. The market of popular careers gets more and more saturated daily while the demand grows in the unpopular ones. The pay and availability of jobs shrinks in the popular fields while the pay and number of jobs skyrockets in the unpopular.

Again, The Law of Supply and Demand
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by 1stGenAmerican(f): 12:44pm On Sep 25, 2021
Sleekfingers:

Diploma is enough for music abi? Do you know how broad music is? You think I am talking about those pangolo music, most nigerian musicians dey do?

IF you plan to stay in Nigeria, yes.

But outside your country, a degree in music can lead to a career in audio/sound engineering. Every popular musician depends on sound engineers. Someone running the board in a studio can easily make $50- 75USD per hour.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Madeu(m): 12:45pm On Sep 25, 2021
Sleekfingers:

I am speaking in form of industrial amount and what we need as a nation for development and solve our growing unemployment rates.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Victerica(m): 12:45pm On Sep 25, 2021
akinreals:
Because their parents always force them to go to school, they will even choose any course for them. Do they even need to go to schopl? At all at all na him bad. Afterall school na scam. That's my thought though cheesy grin cool kiss grin cheesy

How is school scam?
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by tujays(m): 12:48pm On Sep 25, 2021
CrystalSpark:
This question has always been on my mind and just now I’m reading, again, that the daughter of President Buhari went to the UK to study Photography. grin grin

Not just her! There’s a noticeable trend even in Naija; a kid from a very wealthy home may go to a university to study music, or catering, or something that isn’t “popular and mainstream”.

The rest of us from not so rich homes will kill ourselves with mechanical, chemical, petro-chemical, electromagnetic engineering

The rich kids go for their passion while poor man pikin go to escape poverty. I can read countlessly here on nairaland where people ask if they should go for a particular course coz it pays more. That's why our society Is filled with mediocre graduates from all zones.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Sleekfingers: 12:50pm On Sep 25, 2021
Madeu:

I am speaking in form of industrial amount and what we need as a nation for development and solve our growing unemployment rates.

Okay. I get you
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Lucas4903: 1:01pm On Sep 25, 2021
It is because they follow their passion and not the money that their family already has. The ordinary Nigerian is a worshipper of money and will do any and everything to get money including selecting courses they feel it's gonna be a high end return one. At the end no one is actually following their passion but the money.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Sterope(f): 1:03pm On Sep 25, 2021
We assume a lot about the wealthy cheesy
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by chatinent: 1:03pm On Sep 25, 2021
Davido mah too go study Frog Science.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Sterope(f): 1:04pm On Sep 25, 2021
The ordinary Nigerian can't follow his passion because it is common sense to follow money when you are from a poor country.
Lucas4903:
It is because they follow their passion and not the money that their family already has. The ordinary Nigerian is a worshipper of money and will do any and everything to get money including selecting courses they feel it's gonna be a high end return one. At the end no one is actually following their passion but the money.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by YoungBlackRico(m): 1:08pm On Sep 25, 2021
Telegram234:

Do u think those one will even plan to work in Nigeria. They get their BSc and relocate to abroad..
That's how my people look down on everything and the ones wey wise dey cashout steady. grin
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Ibrahimgram(m): 1:23pm On Sep 25, 2021
Cos what’s a problem to them is not a problem to you
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by TundeChris: 1:25pm On Sep 25, 2021
CrystalSpark:
This question has always been on my mind and just now I’m reading, again, that the daughter of President Buhari went to the UK to study Photography. grin grin

Not just her! There’s a noticeable trend even in Naija; a kid from a very wealthy home may go to a university to study music, or catering, or something that isn’t “popular and mainstream”.

The rest of us from not so rich homes will kill ourselves with mechanical, chemical, petro-chemical, electromagnetic engineering

Because they are pampered and their parents would foot their bills from corrupt proceedings anyway.

Unlike the rich from western countries, their children study Engineering, Medicine etc. Social sciences except Law are usually taken by people from poorer backgrounds.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 25, 2021
CrystalSpark:

1. Too stupid to qualify for real courses.
2. Think the money the parents have today will feed them forever.
3. Life goal was to be a house wife so just going to school sef was because it was by force.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by sonsomegrigbo: 1:50pm On Sep 25, 2021
BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND EDUCATION IS NOT A LEGACY!!!

. WAKE UP BRO. NOTHING IN ALL THESE THEORY FILLED INSTITUTIONS.

JUST GET ANY GRADE AND DON'T SPEND A FORTUNE OBTAINING IT!

NO ACADEMICIAN HAS EVER BECOME A BILLIONAIRE!

OUR ELECTIONS HAVE BEEN HANDLED BY THE PROFESSORS, WHAT HAVE WE GAINED AS A NATION FROM IT.

WE HAVE MILLIONS OF PROFESSORS IN THIS COUNTRY AND YET THE SO CALLED ILLITERATES AND DROP OUTS ARE THE ONE CONTROLLING AND IMPACTING THE ECONOMY.

IMAGINE A UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY COULD NOT NOT PRODUCE COMMON ITEMS LIKE POWERBANK, EARPHONE, CHARGERS! LOL
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by lexy2014: 2:05pm On Sep 25, 2021
CrystalSpark:

how did you arrive at your conclusion that kids from wealthy homes study unpopular courses? what makes a course popular or unpopular?
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by jago2016(m): 2:07pm On Sep 25, 2021
I think for the fact they are wealthy ,they have the liberty to follow their passion, they just want to study what makes them happy , unlike individuals from an average or poor background whom have the mentality that their child needs to study a mainstream course in order to be successful in life without considering if he or she has passion for that course.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by sagieramos(m): 2:09pm On Sep 25, 2021
1stGenAmerican:

IF you plan to stay in Nigeria, yes.

But outside your country, a degree in music can lead to a career in audio/sound engineering. Every popular musician depends on sound engineers. Someone running the board in a studio can easily make $50- 75USD per hour.

Even here in Nigeria, some sound engineer earn far more than banker

1 Like

Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Zagee: 2:12pm On Sep 25, 2021
Money dey, so they turn philosophers and try to understand the concept of life. In this case through photography grin
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Dididrumz(m): 2:13pm On Sep 25, 2021
Telegram234:

Do You think with Your brain or Your anus? I absolutely think you use the former because someone asks a question and Your response is an insult.

You're really the illiterate here, pig.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by omolola12345(m): 2:17pm On Sep 25, 2021
I don't know the rich people you are talking about. But most of the rich people always ensure their children go for courses under law, engineering, medicine and accountancy. They normally send their children abroad and they find those courses very easy. The poor people may struggle to be fitted into any of the courses under the above mentioned faculties. It takes the grace of God for them to be fitted into any of it and to also make it from it after scaling through the profession. Those that may be exceptional are those that are not very brilliant among the children of the rich people.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2021
It's all about the Connection. They study very unpopular courses because gaining employment will NOT be a problem for them.
They do not have to perturb with sleepless nights because they have connections in higher places.
Buhari's daughter is studying Photography but do not be surprised to find her employed as the Minister of Petroleum tomorrow.
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by Madeu(m): 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2021
sagieramos:

Even here in Nigeria, some sound engineer earn far more than banker
Know the difference between someone working a in bank( teller, cashier, marketing,
DSA, security, attendants) and a banker( investment bankers, top management).
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by shedy03(m): 2:24pm On Sep 25, 2021
Yeah
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by AK481(m): 2:42pm On Sep 25, 2021
Telegram234:

Type how much does an engineer make and compare
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by AgentGoat: 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2021
ednut1:
Buhari is not intelligent, do you expect his kids to be intelligent. Children of the rich are dominating stem abroad and other lucrative courses. But in buharis case the kids are dull too and will struggle in stem

Buhari is not intelligent? grin grin

An army general?
Re: Why Do Kids From Wealthy Homes Study Very Unpopular Courses? by marylandcakes: 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2021
Harddiskng:
It’s simple when money is not your problem you can follow your passion.

True word, you’ve said it all.
My dad threatened to disown me because I wanted to choose fine art as one of my major in secondary school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How We Attained Academic Excellence - By 10 First Class Graduates (pics) / Father Who Obtained His First Degree At 54 Celebrated By Daughter (Photo) / Meet Seribo Adelabu, 63-year-old SS II Student, Pushing Wheelbarrow To Pay SSCE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.