Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have (13159 Views)

Is This Query Letter Necessary? Absenteeism From Saturday’s Exercise / I'm A Civil Engineering Student Looking For Internship Placement / 21st Century Skills Every Graduate Needs To Secure That Dream Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Cognitivereason: 6:47am On Sep 27, 2021
Hello fellow engineering students, graduate and practitioners..

Out of curiosity I want to know some of the basic and necessary skills every engineering student should work on acquiring in his/her field being it electrical, mechanical or civil..
As an electrical engineering student who is passionate about power...

I have been advised to take up lessons in AutoCAD, Revit and solid works..I have also been told to learn electronics and also try learning automation (PLC) with reputable training centres like AETI ..

I have also heard about PVsyt, ArchiCAD, PDMS ,autodesk inventor etc..how necessary are this and which of the engineers (mech, elect and civil) should show interest in one of this..

what Will u say about this and are there other things necessary to acquire...and also what will you say for the likes of civil and mechanical engineers and students...

In general what are the necessary skill an engineering student should learn outside school to ensure that he/she is employable and to avoid stories that touch..

Lastly can someone recommend good training centres to acquire some of this skills..
I tried researching about AETI for PLC training and it very expensive... I will be glad if any of us can recommend a cheaper alternative for automation PLC

Thanks in anticipation...

9 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by mokoh(m): 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2021
I'm just here to look for funny words,I need to laugh

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by constance500: 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2021
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by socialmediaman: 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2021

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by kayttah(m): 12:32pm On Sep 27, 2021
Omor, no be engineering we deh do for Nigeria abeg

30 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Franking: 12:32pm On Sep 27, 2021
Just have a visa out of Nigeria.

14 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Josephkabila12: 12:33pm On Sep 27, 2021
Go acquire Occupation health and safety certification. Like NEBOSH

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by calyto: 12:33pm On Sep 27, 2021
PMP
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by OjReloaded(m): 12:35pm On Sep 27, 2021
Hmmm.. Alot o... Alot.. cheesy

Have you checked my signature today...?

DextrousData is here!
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by adesegun121(m): 12:35pm On Sep 27, 2021
Ok
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Mannnn(m): 12:37pm On Sep 27, 2021
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Jammy2012(m): 12:38pm On Sep 27, 2021
grin Use your IT judiciously. If you want to be good at your field, your lecturers are not going to teach you 50% of what you are suppose to learn. Necessary skills are learned outside the four walls of the classroom. I'm a graduate of Applied Geophysics, I started learning electronics on my own since I was eight. Today, I am better than a lot of electrical and electronics engineering students. Make YouTube and Google your friend and be ready to spend money. Good thing doesn't come easy grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Georgejeez: 12:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
Yahoo oo oo ,yahoo zeee eeh.
Come to the school I graduated from ,, the richest burgers and ballers are the Engineering students ,,even provost hails them by their nicknames .

Hustle oo ,make you no enter bike go toast babe when her serious boyfriend get Benz oo

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by nifty247(m): 12:43pm On Sep 27, 2021
Start from Auto Cad. You can learn it online from youtube or from udemy.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by The5DME(m): 12:44pm On Sep 27, 2021
d
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by PAWG(m): 12:44pm On Sep 27, 2021
Forget all these, when will Solskjaer be sacked? angry angry

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Simplebeauty: 12:47pm On Sep 27, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Globalhustler(m): 12:48pm On Sep 27, 2021
shocked. Them no go kill engineering students for this Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by haryaw(m): 12:50pm On Sep 27, 2021
For Automation, u can check IIT.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by OG1BABY(f): 12:50pm On Sep 27, 2021
Over to the experts
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by DrayZee: 12:51pm On Sep 27, 2021
For Civil and Mechanical Engineering students, it’s good to be proficient in CAD software (Autodesk AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks).
You should also look into programming to some extent. Python is quite versatile and I think it’s a good place to start. C/C++ are also good.

In fact, the guy below has said it all.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Naturallyme: 12:51pm On Sep 27, 2021
Basic engineering knowledge most especially Mathematic, physics and chemistry. Mathematics will aid your analytical skills. Physics is the basis of all engineering discipline. This will help in analysing engineering problems, motion, statics, forces, stress, strain, failure modes and analysis

Know about concept of measurement and conversion from metric to imperial
Know about Engineering materials and their compositions - Steel, plastics, ceramics, etc
Know:
One CAD design software - Autocad, revit , etc
One Analysis software - Caecar, abaqus, sacs
One Maintenance planning software - e.g SAP PM
Most MS suit tools - Word, excel, outlook, etc
Know how to write code as well

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by kkash: 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2021
If possible learn how to use E3D, PLANT 3D, 3D LASER SCANNER (Leica and faro) and Cyclone/ Faro scene

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Aguogba(m): 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2021
Abeg as an engineering student in Naija, once u enter 200L, start part-time software classes. U don't even have to wait until U graduate and served. Make sure U learn 2 or more relevant programming languages (Python, Java, JavaScript) if you want to compete globally.
If you carry that our administrative (theory) engineering degree travel outside Naija, u will realise that the "P" in psychology is more useful than you and your degree.
Even Civil engineering for this our Obodo Oyinbo has embraced IoT to the fullest.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by MightySparrow: 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2021
Nothing except computer program and drawing where you work will eventually shapen your skill, Just concentrate on what you are doing now.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by RiceProducers: 12:57pm On Sep 27, 2021
Quantitative aptitude. Don't be afraid of maths. Be curious. Structured thought.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by TeeGentle(m): 1:01pm On Sep 27, 2021
Am here to learn
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by uuzba(m): 1:08pm On Sep 27, 2021
Excel
Learn how to calculate everything with MS Excel.
Learn as many functions as possible,
Translate ALL your engineering calculations into Excel.
Also learn MathCAD
Learn how to organise and arrange your files and folders in Windows 10. Don't just scatter files up and down the PC.

For CAD,
go to this site and download all the videos and learn everything.
https://www.youtube.com/c/CreoParametric
Find the software and learn.

Learn how to do PROPER CLEAN Engineering Drawings with proper scaling, detailing.
Learn how to do drawing reviews.
Make your own company title block.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by ModelLook(m): 1:16pm On Sep 27, 2021
Are Engineers making it in Nigeria.

All these certification, courses, trainings and all, is it really worth it?

How many Engineers are working with Oil Firms?

How many Engineers into construction have good money on their own?

How many Engineers are cashing out big time or is that not why people study Engineering? To have plenty money. Nobody should start me with "We study it for the Passion".

After studying it and getting thousands of certificates along, you will now go learn tailoring or graphics design? undecided

This life no balance.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by biosystech: 1:16pm On Sep 27, 2021
It depends on your branch of engineering but do not limit yourself.

Every branch should learn AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Illustrator and its plenty families

Mechanical/Production/Industrial Engineering: CATIA, SolidWorks, ProE, ANSYS
Chemical Engineering: mainly HYSYS
Civil: ArchiCAD, REVIT

Industry standard: in addition to the above, learn Primavera, Microsoft Project, Fisherspec, CAESAR II.

Good Luck!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BEDC Graduate Trainee Programme Requires Covid-19 Vaccination As A Pre-condition / Test Invite For Energy Sales Representative @ Ikeja Eletric 2017 / Cummins Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (3 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.