Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,796 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have (13199 Views)

Is This Query Letter Necessary? Absenteeism From Saturday’s Exercise / I'm A Civil Engineering Student Looking For Internship Placement / 21st Century Skills Every Graduate Needs To Secure That Dream Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by techmatas: 7:47pm On Sep 27, 2021
trigger11:
everyone is talking about civil mechanical and electrical engr .... please how about we that studied agricultural/environmental engineering what should be our own cheesy someone should please advice

now is the era of multidisciplinary engineering. You can learn any of d CAD design skills, you can even go in for Automation and instrumentation training. We recently did some jobs on automated palm oil processing/ refining plant with capacity of over 30tonnes per day. We're also planning
for another one. So there are too many opportunites for engrs in Nigeria especially if you acquire unique skills

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by trigger11(m): 8:05pm On Sep 27, 2021
techmatas:

now is the era of multidisciplinary engineering. You can learn any of d CAD design skills, you can even go in for Automation and instrumentation training. We recently did some jobs on automated palm oil processing/ refining plant with capacity of over 30tonnes per day. We're also planning
for another one. So there are too many opportunites for engrs in Nigeria especially if you acquire unique skills

wooow you jus made my day... your words are so encouraging God bless you for this sir
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by AbuAeesha: 9:28pm On Sep 27, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Thank u for ur contribution.. Pls how can I communicate with u better ...please I need a much more detailed advice
i am not in the core engineering line now,we can't outrun destiny.
but from what i mentioned just make enquiries from ur community. do ur best.
wish you best of luck!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Cognitivereason: 10:11pm On Sep 27, 2021
IIT is also expensive... Nearly N500k
haryaw:
For Automation, u can check IIT.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Cognitivereason: 10:16pm On Sep 27, 2021
Thank u for ur contribution.. How about automation (PLC) training
SonofGod231:
Using AutoCad,PVsyt, ArchiCAD, PDMS ,Autodesk inventor depends upon the task. Are you making a 2D schematic? How about routing and laying out a PCB board? Or making a complex 3D wiring harness? How about working on complex SCADA designs? Do you need software to check your work?
For Construction, Architectural and Civil engineering design ArchiCAD is better.
As an Electrical engineer it's best you learn how to use Autocad electrical,Autodesk inventor,PMDs.
I was lucky enough,In my 300level as a mechanical/Software engineering student we treated Autocad as a course.
Not many schools do that.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by pegix(m): 4:46am On Sep 28, 2021
Georgejeez:
Yahoo oo oo ,yahoo zeee eeh.
Come to the school I graduated from ,, the richest burgers and ballers are the Engineering students ,,even provost hails them by their nicknames .

Hustle oo ,make you no enter bike go toast babe when her serious boyfriend get Benz oo
aswr....even for unilorin here

See engr boyz with lexus and benz

Finniest thing on exam day cbt..na so so u go dey see benz for optometry park

Na engr boyz come do exam
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by blogbuilder: 6:29am On Sep 28, 2021
GerogeI:
I am going to speak generically a bit, but specifically about Mechanical Engineering.

As an Engr, the hard truth is that what we are learning in schools are not cutting edge nor functional, so do not expect to go to a first world country and bag front edge engineering jobs. The only way that happens is when you re-educate over there and slave for sometime to learn from experience.

Coming over to Nigeria, Remember engineering is all about solving problems of the society. There are many unsolved problems in our Nigerian and African Society, and the funny thing is they are all things that involve already matured Technology.

Why? Because in school we are thought many first principles and physics and complex mathematics, but no body ever taught us how to put these things together to solve actual real world problems. So you have many people who understand energy, heat, thermodynamics, but cannot create a simple oven.

The greatest gift you can give yourself as a Nigeria engineer is to sit yourself down and get a wholesome understanding of Engineering design(Never Read Shigley alone, you only reference it for design process if you want to make headway) putting together all you have learnt. If you can do this, you only need a few years of industry experience to work with codes and standards and you will never need a job.

I will be very specific
For a Mechanical Engr.
There are two Major Areas. 1.Materials and 2.Heat
For Materials.
1. Understand 3D stress
How and why you should resolve it to plan stress
Convenience of Mohrs circle
How come Von Misses stress can give 1 figure stress representation.

Bending and how these stress applies
Torsion and its stresses
Tension and Compression.

How to actually put all these together to create shafts, gears, sprocket, belt drives, screws, etc. This is the primary reason why you studied Mech Engr.

2. Do same for Heat
Understand how to Apply Heat transfer and thermodynamics to create actual applications, not just those engines you cram and vomit.

3. A. Learn to use just 1 CAD software. The rest are all based on the same graphics and matches concept, just the user interface is different.

B. Learn how to program the computer in just 1 language. The rest are all same, only syntax or grammar is different. They all use same ideas of variables, conditional statements, loops, object or data encapsulation. So just learn 1, you can always easily learn another one if required as long as you learnt the first one properly. One good choice would be how to program spreadsheets with vba.

C. Learn how to use spreadsheets like excel to build mathematical models manually. Nobody has time for paper calculations anymore. And no, Excel is not for accountants. You will be surprised how much you can do on a spreadsheet.

Finally look around you, you will find a problem that only someone with your skillset can solve. Choose something that people are already paying heavily for an imported solution. When you solve it locally you can cash out. Create a solution on your computer.
Sell the idea to someone to fund a prototype. Then sell the idea again for commercialization. You do not need to be employed, rather you have the capacity to create things that will employ others and take your share.
Good morning sir, pls how can I reach out to you? I want you to mentor me on something
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by mikemiyaki: 12:14pm On Sep 28, 2021
If you are an Electrical/ Electronics person and looking for a job in a company especially in the multinationals, please, go learn PLC
Tolu100:
. I Need your help on this sir..
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2021
@GerogeI I would love to coonect with you your contribution was highly educative.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by GerogeI(m): 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2021
blogbuilder:

Good morning sir, pls how can I reach out to you? I want you to mentor me on something

Unfortunately, I cannot make any personal connections with anyone due to the security situationof things. If you have something you want my opinion or a project, open a thread or a Diary and tag me. Others will benefit and also add richly to your experience.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by GerogeI(m): 7:57pm On Oct 02, 2021
blogbuilder:

Unfortunately, I cannot make any personal connections now due to the security situation around us. If you have something you want my opinion on or a project, open a thread or a Diary and tag me. Others will benefit and also add richly to your experience.

If you are worried about people stealing your ideas, my answer is don't be. Nigerians do not steal hardwork, they only steal finished products. If your idea is so easy to implement, then it's not worth your while.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

150, 000 Nigerians To Benefit From Interswitch Empowerment Initiative / Baker Hughes Job Recruitment / BEDC Graduate Trainee Programme Requires Covid-19 Vaccination As A Pre-condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.