Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns (19928 Views)

Stop Putting Old Notes In ATMs Or Face Penalty – CBN Warns Commercial Banks / Abuse The Naira, Go To Jail, CBN Warns / CBN Warns Nigerian Banks Concerning Transactions Regarding Benin Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by postbox: 11:36am On Sep 27, 2021
The Central Bank of Nigeria says the e-naira which is set to be launched on October 1, 2021, is a legal tender equal to the value of the naira and thus must be accepted as a form of payment by all merchants and business outlets.

The CBN Director, Payment System Management, Mr. Musa Jimoh, said this during an interview on the ‘Business Morning’ program on Channels Television on Monday.

Jimoh said, “Today, anywhere you present naira to pay, compulsorily it must be accepted because that is our fiat currency. So, the same way naira is accepted that you can’t reject it, is the same way e-naira must be accepted. Anywhere in this country where e-naira is presented, it must be accepted. So, merchants must accept e-naira as a means of payment.”

He advised Nigerians to open e-naira wallets which could be downloaded on their phones from October 1, adding that CBN bears all liabilities.

“The liability of the e-naira money is directly on CBN which is similar to the cash you hold. The liability of the cash you hold today rests with the CBN. So, it gives Nigerians the opportunity to bank with CBN,” Jimoh said.

On whether Nigeria was ripe for the e-naira due to the technological challenges in the country, Jimoh said he didn’t expect it to be a major problem.

He added, “E-naira is a journey. We don’t expect that on October 1, all business merchants in Nigeria will accept it. We don’t even expect that come October 1, all Nigerians will have e-naira. It is a journey. It will continue to grow.

“Remember there was a time in this country when you had to practically beg business outlets, merchants and others to accept POS transactions. But we have come to a point where traders now beg for POS terminals.”

The CBN director added that e-naira comes with many benefits and would save the cost of printing more notes.
“Today the cost of producing the naira and coins is very high. It costs money to print naira in this country. Now, the minting of e-naira is electronic so it reduces cost,” Jimoh stated.

He added that charges of transferring funds would be lower for those using the e-naira.

On why the CBN chose a foreign firm instead of a Financial Technology company in Nigeria, Jimoh said it had to do with capacity.

Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns
He said Bitt Inc which will handle the project, had done similar projects for other countries and already had the capacity and experience.

Jimoh added that the company would be registered and managed in part by Nigerians while the technological aspect would be handled by the foreign arm.

The CBN director stated, “The CBN digital currency is not what every country has implemented. We are blazing the trail in Africa. Nigeria is the only country in Africa that is doing it. And so many advanced countries are not doing it. You can only talk of China and the Bahamas that have tried to do something serious on central bank digital currency.

“So, the technology is not everywhere you need to be very sure. You cannot use Nigeria as a testing ground and say oh if it works, well, if it doesn’t work. You have to use entities that have actually done it, that are sure of it.

“What we did is to partner with an entity that has done it, that has that experience because we know that eventually, the system is going to run in Nigeria. So, we also want to domicile some responsibilities here. So, the arrangement is such that you are going to have a Nigerian incorporated company, Bitt Nigeria, which will basically be running the system.”

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2021/09/27/businesses-in-nigeria-must-accept-e-naira-payment-cbn-warns/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by SarkinYarki: 11:38am On Sep 27, 2021
Emeiefele is a stack mumu sha .....what is the difference between this his e naira and the Epayments we are already using ....

129 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by SarkinYarki: 11:40am On Sep 27, 2021
On why the CBN chose a foreign firm instead of a Financial Technology company in Nigeria, Jimoh said it had to do with capacity.
Once again the Nigerian govt has gone into something it doesn't understand nor have control over the backend ...what stops this foreign firm from injecting fake E nairas into the system and cashing it out as another values at the expense of our economy.... Sack Emeiefele Now !!!!!!!

101 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by YeyeGbami: 11:44am On Sep 27, 2021
If it will make me stop carrying cash i’d be glad.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by AroleOduduwa2: 11:47am On Sep 27, 2021
These guys are dumb sha, eNaira and ePayment, what is the difference. Well, they need something to dish out to zombies as achievement

84 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by helinues: 11:49am On Sep 27, 2021
Toh
Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by tempest01(m): 12:04pm On Sep 27, 2021
Support the enaira people.

Even as a critic of this present government, this is a good development.

The only problems I see is the govt issuing out electronic money at will and implementing repressive tax regimes directly on wallets as is seen even with traditional banking.

If done right and without corrupt input and favouritism, the enaira has a huge part to play in fighting corruption and boosting the economy.

24 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Bmgreat: 12:07pm On Sep 27, 2021
Ihe nka bu fry pan , I don't have what to say

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by tempest01(m): 12:09pm On Sep 27, 2021
SarkinYarki:

Once again the Nigerian govt has gone into something it doesn't understand nor have control over the backend ...what stops this foreign firm from injecting fake E nairas into the system and cashing it out as another values at the expense of our economy.... Sack Emeiefele Now !!!!!!!

The company that owns the enaira will be Nigerian company owned by FG and the foreign firm.

6 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by SmartPolician: 12:17pm On Sep 27, 2021
tempest01:

The company that owns the enaira will be Nigerian company owned by FG and the foreign firm.

Some of you don't have shame at all.
You didn't read the article, yet you have the guts to reply to a question. undecided

SarkinYarki, you raised a good point. However, just know that most foreign companies are more reputable than Nigerian companies. One of my clients in the United States once told me that in his country, trust is not an issue. It comes by default..that's why our Yahoo boys are taking advantage of them.

Besides, I believe the CBN will have a department that audits the units of e-Naira from the foreign firm. I know that Emefiele doesn't have sense, but let's give him the benefit of doubt. If e-Naira fails after implementation, I am sure the next CBN governor will discontinue with it.

16 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by tempest01(m): 12:19pm On Sep 27, 2021
SmartPolician:

You didn't read the article, yet you have the guts to reply to a question.

SarkinYarki, just know that most foreign companies are more reputable than Nigerian companies.

What are you on about? Smartpolitician impersonator. You get sense like this?

1 Like

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by odysey: 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2021
So no single company in Nigeria can right? It's because no Fulani could pull it off else they'd give it them
SmartPolician:

You didn't read the article, yet you have the guts to reply to a question. undecided

SarkinYarki, you raised a good point. However, just know that most foreign companies are more reputable than Nigerian companies. One of my clients in the United States once told me that in his country, trust is not an issue. It comes by default..that's why our Yahoo boys are taking advantage of them.

Besides, I believe the CBN will have a department that audits the units of e-Naira from the foreign firm. I know that Emefiele doesn't have sense, but let's give him the benefit of doubt. If e-Naira fails after implementation, I am sure the next CBN governor will discontinue with it.

6 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by omowolewa: 1:22pm On Sep 27, 2021
Must keh!

In as much as I can reject any Naira denomination for not having change or for suspecting it's fake.

I can reject this too for lack of confidence or difficulty to respend it.

Okada! Road 13!! I go pay you cryptocash oo o!!!

9 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Kastonkastroll(m): 1:24pm On Sep 27, 2021
Can somebody please tell me the difference between e-payment and normal bank transfer?

8 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by OG1BABY(f): 1:25pm On Sep 27, 2021
Okay
Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by adesegun121(m): 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2021
Ok
Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by free2ryhme: 1:28pm On Sep 27, 2021
Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by jaxxy(m): 1:28pm On Sep 27, 2021
What is E naira? undecided

YeyeGbami:
If it will make me stop carrying cash i’d be glad.

How is it different from doing a transfer? Unless we are talking about small transactions?

1 Like

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by ArmaniUhuru: 1:28pm On Sep 27, 2021
Godwin Emefiele is now chasing shadows. Oga don run out of idea.

Worst CBN governor ever

10 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by McOluOmo: 1:28pm On Sep 27, 2021
When we get to that bridge first then we shall know hw to cross it

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by potbelly(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2021
Lool...

You can't impose it on businesses...

Na you help the market man or woman set up shop?

Na you help the small scale industries set up?

CBN just dey make me laugh...

2 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Ugo4hotish(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2021
SarkinYarki:
Emeiefele is a stack idiot sha .....what us the difference between this his e naira and the Epayments we are already using ....

No difference bro.

2 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by olaric(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2021
So, you are confident that an average trader in Alaba International Market or Tomato seller in Mile 12 can be forced to accept eNaira?

9 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by ShitHead(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2021
When you lose your legitimacy; the use of force is inevitable.

CBN is busy screaming like a horrny baboon while the economy is in coma. They have lost it...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Tomilola360: 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2021
SarkinYarki:
Emeiefele is a stack idiot sha .....what us the difference between this his e naira and the Epayments we are already using ....

No he is not. Don't call him names when you know nothing about the enaira.

Just wait for it. I can educate you tho but I am not cbn's mouthpiece

1 Like

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by miniziter(m): 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
Even me wey business no worth 50k?
Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Skillsnigeria: 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
grin
Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Terrier99: 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
Let them use E Naira to pay the salaries of all CBN staff

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Winningbot: 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
sad
Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by richmond500: 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
SarkinYarki:

just like they did to bitcoins?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Fr33born(m): 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
And $1 = 600 E-Naira abi? Useless government.

4 Likes

Re: Businesses In Nigeria Must Accept E-naira Payment, CBN Warns by Patrioticman007(m): 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2021
What an excellent move, Nigeria must grow by fire by force.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Recession: Bread, Biscuits, Others Prices To Go Up By 15% – AMBCON / Pls How Reliable Is MMM Nigeria / Recession: It’s Up To You, CBN Tells Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.