Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,024 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos (13321 Views)

Police Arrest 70-Year-Old HIV-Positive Man Who Raped 5-Year-Old Girl In Benue / Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women / Ogun SARS Officers Shoot Truck Drivers Over Bribe (Graphic Video) (2) (3) (4)

Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by PasD(m): 8:43am On Sep 29, 2021
Officers of the Lagos Police Command have arrested and detained about 70 people, including passersby and Uber drivers in Aswani, Ajao Estate and Oshodi areas of the state, following the killing of Chief Superintendent Kazeem Abonde.

The suspects were arrested on Friday and are currently in detention without being charged to court, Peoples Gazette has learnt.

The police said Mr Abonde was killed on Thursday while officers from the RRS, Taskforce, Ajao Estate Division were enforcing the ban on motorcycles in the area.

In a statement, the police spokesperson, Adekunle Ajisebutu, said while officers impounded some motorcycles, the riders regrouped and “attacked Abonde and men.”

However, in the aftermath of Mr Abonde’s death, about 70 suspects in Aswani and surrounding areas were arrested and detained.

Some of the suspects in police custody were heard in audio recordings obtained by this outlet lamenting how they were being tortured.

A source told The Gazette some of the arrested suspects were passersby, Uber drivers and men who had gone to repair their vehicles in a garage close to Aswani market.

“They didn’t pick them up at Ajao Estate; they went to Aswani and picked them up.

“They didn’t pick just one person but a lot of people and put them in black maria. Some didn’t even know what happened,” the source said.

The source continued, “There’s an uber driver that was also arrested. They broke his glass and dragged him out of the car. They violated their human rights and even hit them.”

Some suspects were taken to the Taskforce in Bolade, Oshodi area, while others were detained at other police divisions. Our source said several attempts by relatives to secure their bail have proved abortive.

“People went there to see them on Saturday and Sunday for the bail process, but they said they don’t grant bail to people on weekends. On Monday, the officers asked them to go to the Ikeja area command to go and bail them,” the source said.

At the Ikeja command, our source said the families and friends of the suspects were asked to check back to “find out what happened” if they were not released after three days.

“Friday is a public holiday, it’ll make a week and public holiday without charging them to court. My person is sick” another source said.

However, Mr Ajisebutu told The Gazette over the phone that suspects were only arrested at Ajao Estate, adding that investigations regarding their arrests were ongoing.

“We will issue a press statement on the progress made on our investigation very soon,” he said.

When also contacted, the DPO of Aswani Division, Adeleke Ojajuni, said he was not aware of any arrest within the area, while that of Ajao Estate, Aminu Goni, declined The Gazette’s request to offer an official response on the incident.

https://gazettengr.com/police-arrest-70-persons-uber-drivers-over-death-of-officer/

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:39am On Sep 29, 2021
The police said Mr Abonde was killed on Thursday while officers from the RRS, Taskforce, Ajao Estate Division were enforcing the ban on motorcycles in the area.

In a statement, the police spokesperson, Adekunle Ajisebutu, said while officers impounded some motorcycles, the riders regrouped and “attacked Abonde and men.
Lawlessness of the highest order.

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by BruncleZuma: 9:39am On Sep 29, 2021
Dem go soon parade dem with contraptions likely to cause harm

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by prophetfire: 9:40am On Sep 29, 2021
Their normal way. Arrest and extort. Making money from their colleague's death. Not even interested in solving the crime.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Cryomancer: 9:40am On Sep 29, 2021
The worst police force in the world is at it again with their inefficiencies and extortion.... I doubt they even have any trail or plans in solving the already cold case.

No tactics, no survey, no investigation, no warrant, no intelligence gathering... Just random and illegal arrest, torture and insha-allah.

Very useless set of people to the community at large.

Na Ogun go kee all of una there... *spits

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by segebobo: 9:41am On Sep 29, 2021
Na their way
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by bigdammyj: 9:41am On Sep 29, 2021
Noted
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by bmdmix11: 9:41am On Sep 29, 2021
see there life
we already know that's wat dey will do

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Johnkennie(m): 9:41am On Sep 29, 2021
70 for 1
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by okeyumez(m): 9:41am On Sep 29, 2021
This is madness. Nigerian Police should be very careful not to cause anarchy they will not be able to contain.
Police work should be intelligence driven not display of ignorance.

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by jamal230(m): 9:42am On Sep 29, 2021
Nawao
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by muller101(m): 9:42am On Sep 29, 2021
post=106273945:
Reading
Vomit the refuse.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by RZArecta(m): 9:42am On Sep 29, 2021
Police terrorists, those seventy innocent people will pay burial expenses of the late officer through hell

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Egbetayo(m): 9:42am On Sep 29, 2021
This is uncalled for. What happen to intelligence gathering ?
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by sammirano: 9:42am On Sep 29, 2021
It is a great offence anywhere to kill police. You don't do that!

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Lee99: 9:43am On Sep 29, 2021
Normal Nigerian police way, unprofessional fools

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Windofglory: 9:43am On Sep 29, 2021
Typical of Nigerian police force, when will they stop harassing passers by and conduct proper investigation to catch criminals

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by DropsMic(m): 9:43am On Sep 29, 2021
Hmm
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Cryomancer: 9:46am On Sep 29, 2021
muller101:
Vomit the refuse.

Bros you harsh oo... Are you trying to say he is a dump-truck?

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by davit: 9:47am On Sep 29, 2021
Naija Police can never change.
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by achymmania: 9:48am On Sep 29, 2021
Lee99:
Normal Nigerian police way, unprofessional fools
Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Seniorcitizen(m): 9:48am On Sep 29, 2021
I remember when I had to choose between using my last 200 naira to either buy beans or buy an electric bulb.

You know the struggles of every semester ending na. Always no money on ground. Parents will only send you transport to come home.

Undergraduate days will show you shege.

It was late and I was very hungry, worse still, I had an exam to prepare for. I wanted to use my 200 naira to buy beans to cook when my bulb died.

Everywhere went dark, and I needed light to read.

So now I had to choose.

Beans or bulb.

Hunger or failure.

A full stomach or good grade.

I thought of my parents and all the school fees I've paid. So I said let me make them proud. I chose to buy the bulb.

My stomach growled in protest. Intestines were stretching and twisting, still I said 'Success is the goal.'

I went out, bought the bulb in tears, and came back to commence reading.

The moment I inserted the bulb, 'NEPA' took light. My God!

So I sacrificed beloved beans(Please forgive me my fellow beans lovers, I was not too wise that time) to buy bulb to read and you people took light? �

I crewed.

Now, there's was hunger raging inside, and failure looming outside.

Beans I did not see, light too, I did not see.

I removed the bulb and went back to the shop to beg for refund, them no gree.

'Please ma, I am the last son of my mama, and I never chop since morning. Just help me.'

My brothers and sisters, people are wicked in this life. Do you know she refused?

I returned home and almost packed my load that night to enter night bus back home on credit. I no do school again.

But I thank God for people with discerning spirit.

In my moment of despair, God raised a helper.

Someone somewhere had cooked one succulent, dry fish-saturated, delicious red oil beans and was lead to share with me.

See, God is powerful.

Me that was seconds away from the great beyond, God made a way.

See pity students.

That's why since I graduated I have devoted my philanthropy to only students.

And today is your time to smile. Are you a student? No money? Don't worry, you have me.

So tell me, what can 50 naira do for you?

You don't have to suffer what I suffered. first 10 people to dm from my signature

Remember to follow my page ���
©

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by achymmania: 9:49am On Sep 29, 2021
sammirano:
see Nigerian youth. You abandoned the real topic and wallow in baloney. So it’s right to deprive over 70 people of their human right because one officer stupidly lost his life. What a shame.

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Jamesbiodun(m): 10:02am On Sep 29, 2021
One of the reasons I dislike police, the organization need to be re oriented, they just do anyhow sad

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by PenpalOso: 10:04am On Sep 29, 2021
post=106273945:
Reading

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Sonoyom(m): 10:07am On Sep 29, 2021
Does this Criminal organisation show this enourmous strength when their officers are slaughtered in Zamfara?

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Lokojatoofar: 10:13am On Sep 29, 2021
They have gone to pack innocent citizens.
Sha don't murder and rape them while in custody angry

Tommorow when they target and kill police, people will want me to type RIP

Re: Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos by Lokojatoofar: 10:22am On Sep 29, 2021
sammirano:

And very legal for police to just pick you up from the street because some group murdered one of them? Nigerians, some of you are disgusting

I wonder who claims it is not an offence to kill police or any human for that matter.

Man Remanded For Stealing Kpomo In Kano / "Downtown" Cult Boys Kill Man In Bariga (see Picture) / Nigeria's Opioid Crisis: Drug Smuggling, Trading, Abuse & Corruption (Video)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66