Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,560 members, 7,865,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:51 PM

Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians (856 Views)

Nigeria Excluded As UAE Announces 5-Year Multiple-entry Tourist Visa / Nigerians Denied Work Permits In UAE Frustrated, Stranded, Borrow Money To Live / UAE Denies Stopping Issuance Of 3 Months Visa To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians by Hdanny(m): 12:17am On Sep 30, 2021
NIGERIANS residing in the United Arab Emirates have raised a public outcry over a restrictive labour policy that bars them from getting employed, leaving hundreds without means of livelihood, homeless and hungry.

The new policy, which prohibits Nigerians from getting work permits that will enable them live decently, goes against Sustainable Development Goals One, Two, Three, Eight and 10 which bother on poverty, hunger, good health and wellbeing, decent work and reduced inequalities respectively.

Since early July, Nigerians in the UAE have been saying that they are being victimised solely on account of their nationality and more than 300 persons have lost their jobs as they are not granted work permits by the country’s Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MORHE) in charge of regulating labour affairs.

Those affected include those who have lived and worked in the country for years but whose work permits expired after July, and others seeking to relocate to the UAE for employment.

Many Nigerians in the UAE are now homeless due to work permit restrictions barring them from getting employed.

The truth is that there is no country where evil and good people exist. Can the righteous be victimized along with the evil ones. The answer is capital NO. UAE is a wonderful nation and people praise her leaders for their ingenuity and wisdom. The honest truth is that UAE has the technologies and wherewithal to fish out the bad people wherever in their country however, deal with them accordingly without the innocent being unnecessarily punished.. This is an appeal to UAE authority to temper justice with mercy and rescind the decision on the employment visa ban for Nigerians.

Anonymous
The bitter truth is that a whole will bear the punishment of a some . What goes around. Ones around.
Nigerians in the UAE should seat up . A few of them a guys of substance while many are crooks . Before the UAE took the decision to suspend work permit for Nigerians , they had taken to notice the crimes. Sex vendors , beer vendors . Is really pathetic

When people start overstaying their visas, how will they pay for them? Paying flight back home is not possible. There are lots of families here, because of this my child cannot go to school, its so touching I cannot perform my basic father duty to him. Because of this ban. All my family will be on overstay. I cannot do visa change for all of them.

Since early July, Nigerians in the UAE have been saying that they are being victimised solely on account of their nationality and more than 300 persons have lost their jobs as they are not granted work permits by the country’s Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MORHE) in charge of regulating labour affairs.

Those affected include those who have lived and worked in the country for years but whose work permits expired after July, and others seeking to relocate to the UAE for employment.

Jobless after working for seven years

One of the victims, who did not want to be named for fear of further victimisation, told The ICIR that he had lived in the UAE peacefully for over seven years and had never been involved in any criminal activity.

After toiling for these years for wages that were not commensurate to the 14 hours (on the average) he had to put in daily on the available jobs, he landed his dream job in answer to his prayers during the last Ramadan.

“I was so happy and grateful to God, believing that my life had changed but the company applied for my work permit issuance from the Ministry of Labour and it was stated that because I’m a Nigerian, I’m not eligible for work permit,” he narrated.

“Hundreds of people are losing their jobs daily. People are homeless. I don’t even know how I will get money to pay my house rent. I’m so depressed and I have children (back in Nigeria) whom I have not sent money to since June,” he said.

A sample of the rejection message received by Nigerians seeking to renew their visa, When people start overstaying their visas, how will they pay for them? Paying flight back home is not possible.

There are lots of families here, because of this my child cannot go to school, its so touching I cannot perform my basic father duty to him. Because of this ban. All my family will be on overstay. I cannot do visa change for all of them.
Re: Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians by Bifwoli: 12:40am On Sep 30, 2021
UAE is well within its legal rights to decide who works and lives in its soil.
Re: Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians by Decentdave(m): 12:45am On Sep 30, 2021
Why won't they frustrate Nigerians, when Nigerians go to all countries and spill their names to the ground. This same UAE gave Ghana Visa free into it.Let them come home if UAE doesn't want them again angry

3 Likes

Re: Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians by TarOrfeeek: 12:59am On Sep 30, 2021
The same Arabs protecting their National heritage and economic fidelity are roaming around Northern, Middle and Southern Nigeria with cattles and AK-47s.

Is this not wonderful.

As big as USA is, you can't enter it's borders through any means without being arrested and detained.

But daily, foreigners are trooping into ours without credible ID. What then is the job of the NIS.

The Aboki that sells gala on my street speaks french. Has lived here for years and has no passport. Shameful
Re: Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians by Originalsly: 4:45am On Sep 30, 2021
One rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this move.... nor wonder why.the decision was made. We have done this by ourselves ... with our smartness ... excellent behaviour and total respect of law.
Re: Hundreds Are Starving, Homeless As UAE Denies Work Permits To Nigerians by aieromon(m): 7:58am On Sep 30, 2021
Decentdave:
Why won't they frustrate Nigerians, when Nigerians go to all countries and spill their names to the ground. This same UAE gave Ghana Visa free into it.Let them come home if UAE doesn't want them again angry

Stop spreading this false information. Seychelles is the only African country eligible for visa on arrival.

https://www.etihad.com/en/fly-etihad/visas

https://www.emirates.com/ng/english/before-you-fly/visa-passport-information/uae-visa-information/

(1) (Reply)

Would You Leave Where You Reside Now When You Are Old(photo) / Japa: Gather Here Let's Discuss Migration From Nigeria / Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.