Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,003 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... (1475 Views)

Men Watching Big Buttocks While Driving, Cause Of Most Crashes In Ghana - Offici / My Personal Experience With GIG Transport Company / Traveling In The Schengen Area? Always Have Your Passport!-a Personal Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 1:07pm On Sep 30, 2021
The Senate on Tuesday resolved to investigate allegations of fake COVID-19 test results to defraud unsuspecting Nigerians in Ghana and the use of fake COVID-19 vaccination cards in Nigeria.

The decision to investigate the allegation against the Ghanaian authorities was an outcome of a motion, following numerous allegations and complaints made by Nigerian travellers isolated at Ghanaian isolation facilities.

The motion is titled, “Urgent need to conduct investigation on allegation of fake COVID-19 test results being used to defraud Nigerians in Ghana and the obtainment of fake COVID-19 vaccination cards.”

It was sponsored by Senator Yahaya Oloriegbe (Kwara Central).

Oloriegbe said, “There is a serious allegation that the Ghanaian authorities are diagnosing Nigerians who travel to their country of testing positive for Covid even after testing negative in Nigeria. The Ghanaian authorities, usually, commit Nigerians who visit their country to isolation for two weeks and are made to pay about N70,000 per day.

“The allegation was exposed by a Nigerian artiste who was told in Ghana that he had Covid-19 even after testing negative at a facility in Nigeria. He rejected the result and insisted that it was a fake result. He was deported and kicked out of Ghana by the authorities and proceeded to New York in the United States of America where his test result on arrival came out negative.

“Nigerians travelling to Ghana or through Ghana lamented that they are made to pay almost N1m while in isolation. If not properly investigated and addressed, the exploitation will continue, thereby, unlawfully taking away the resources of Nigerians in this global economic recession.”

According to him, if the allegation of people obtaining and using fake Covid-19 vaccination cards to travel is not debunked, it may have negative consequences for Nigerians with genuine Covid-19 vaccination cards from travelling outside the country.

The lawmaker also prevailed on the upper chamber to investigate another allegation on the United Kingdom’s refusal to acknowledge the vaccination cards and tests results issued to travellers by facilities in Nigeria.

The upper chamber, in its resolution, directed its Committees on Health (Secondary and Tertiary), Primary Health and Communicable Diseases and Foreign Affairs to conduct detailed investigations on the two allegations of fake COVID-19 test results being used to defraud Nigerians in Ghana and obtainment or use of fake COVID-19 vaccination cards.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/covid-19-vaccines-senate-probes-alleged-maltreatment-of-nigerian-travellers-in-ghana/%3famp
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 1:08pm On Sep 30, 2021
Trust me. Not a good thing at all.

I used to believe Nigerians are more corrupt than Ghanaians but I was completely wrong. I will share my full story about how I feel into the fraudulent mess in Ghana this year.

Disguy Justwise lalasticlala. Make Una come o
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by staga: 1:14pm On Sep 30, 2021
200naira:
Trust me. Not a good thing at all.

I used to believe Nigerians are more corrupt than Ghanaians but I was completely wrong. I will share my full story about how I feel into the fraudulent mess in Ghana this year.

Disguy Justwise lalasticlala. Make Una come o

Try looking for a house in Ghana, then you will know they are the worst of the worst.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 1:16pm On Sep 30, 2021
staga:

Try looking for a house in Ghana, then you will know they are the worst of the worst.

I didn't believe until when I had this nasty experience.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 1:25pm On Sep 30, 2021
I got to MMIA Lagos on this fateful day one of the early months this year 2021. I proceeded to AWA counter where I checked in my luggage. A guy came to where we were standing and told us that he would be checking out Covid 19 test results. I was the 4th person on line. Two people (a lady and an elderly woman) in front of me had no Covid test results. The guy told them he would not allow them to board. He asked them to leave the line. After I checked in, I proceeded to the customs/immigration areas where I got my passport stamped and move to the waiting area. At the waiting area, these two people came there and later, the guy that checked the Covid test results appeared and demanded the two women's attention. They went to meet him and gave him some amount of money. I was surprised at what I just witnessed. I said, well, it is our way...but not during pandemic. People really cashing out on daily basis while people were at risk of contracting this deadly virus.

I felt like slipping this guy and the lady to heaven but what could I do?

We boarded the plane and off to Ghana.

What happened in Ghana?
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by hisgrace090: 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2021
What do you expect from this pressent crop of nigerian leaders who only cares for their porcket.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 1:37pm On Sep 30, 2021
I had a some official meetings scheduled for that evening. Also, I needed to take a local flight, next day to where our office is located. Little did I know that all the plans were about to be punctured.

On getting off the plane, we proceeded to the Covid checks area where I paid $50 dollars for rapid Covid test. I paid and did my test. I got to where to collect my luggage. I collected the luggage and proceed to the one of the exit entrances. I observed there were some counters at the door side. I went to one of the counters. The lady at the counter asked me to wait for the rapid test result. My mind was completely at rest that I had negative PCR (Gold standard) Covid test result from Lagos.

About 10 mins later, a lady came, called my name and said I was Covid positive. What? I said no way. See my result from Lagos. The lady said I should follow her to an isolation room in the airport. Immediately, some stern looking military officers came and kept their eyes on me. They collected my passport.

To be continued...

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 2:11pm On Sep 30, 2021
The lady said I was going to be put in isolation. I would be given a hotel to be checked in and spend 7 days in isolation. I must pay all the hotel bills for 7 days. An ambulance was waiting for me outside. I was just wondering what was happening. Completely confused.

Okay. Let's go. I called my office to give them the update. I called my family in Nigeria about the new situation. I promised to keep everyone posted. I called the driver waiting outside the airport to go back that I would see him after 7 days. I meeting cancellation mails to the people I wanted to meet. I was to check into a hotel very close to the airport I got that cancelled. I cancelled the next day flight and so many other things. My family members back hope we're in serious panic mood. I asked everyone to stay calm. No one believed my predicament in Ghana. Thanks to my company. They gave me all the support both needed and not. I didn't know what was going to happen next. I used to watch people in isolation in TV but it was now down on me.

I kept asking, how and when did I contract the virus?

I got into the ambulance through an emergency exit at the airport guarded by these military men. Few minutes later. A man joined me in the ambulance. He was coming from Gambia.

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 2:19pm On Sep 30, 2021
This man was very furious but I kept calm. He left the US 3 days ago and got to Gambia. How could he contract the virus. He did test in the US and Gambia as well before he came to Ghana.

Anyway, the ambulance moved. We were taken to a hospital called GA East hospital. At this hospital I met so many people already taken there. Not only Nigerians. Different nationals. Also, the conduct of the staff there was nothing to write home about. At that point, I began to suspect if I had been scammed!

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 2:35pm On Sep 30, 2021
GA East Hospital.

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 2:44pm On Sep 30, 2021
At GA East, someone addressed us, the victims of fake test that we would be in isolation in that hospital. I asked myself, didn't anyone told me my isolation would be in a hotel? I also observed that there were free movements amongst the victims, the supposed positive cases. The distance between us and the hospital staff was very negligible. I knew it was a scam. A plot to rip travellers off. No serious PPEs on the staff. Only facemasks. I means staff handling Covid cases

I was given a room to put my luggage. They asked me to proceed to a test room in the same hospital. I did a PCR Test (not rapid this time). I asked when would I get the result. They said they would let me know later. On my way from the test center, I observed that other new travellers had joined. Lol.
Another person came and said, I should go pick my luggage that I would be going to a hotel. I went in, picked my luggade and went into a BRT looking bus waiting. I don't want to disclose the name of the hotel for confidentiality.

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 2:58pm On Sep 30, 2021
At the hotel, after I checked in. A doctor came to address us. At this point, I started asking some difficult questions

1. Doctor, can you tell me how my Covid test came positive. I was negative yesterday. Based on my understanding, if I got infected after the Lagos Covid test,no test would detect it until after some few days.

2. Why did you ignore my Covid test result from Nigeria? Can you go ahead to verify if my result from Nigeria was fake?

3. I don't believe in your airport rapid test. Can I do another test today. An independent test this time from a private lab in Accra today. I will believe if it comes out positive. No worries. I will pay for the test.

4. Am I getting the result of the test I did at GA EAST today. If negative, I will leave here today?

5. Assuming I am positive as you claimed. Will I be given medications because there is no sign of that? All I have seen so far is a plot to put m into detention in a hotel for 7 days

The doctor just said. Don't worry. You will be taken care of in this hotel. It is just to keep you here for 7 days.

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by otokx(m): 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2021
Interesting, Nigerians should avoid Ghana like a plague.

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by horlahsunbo225(m): 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2021
Wow
This is an eye opener kiss
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 9:35am On Oct 01, 2021
On the 4th day, another test was conducted. No result was given to us. Throughout this period in isolation, not even a paracetamol was given to anyone which showed we had no Covid neither did anyone showed any symptom. If that was the case.

1. Why the unnecessary detention?
2. Why making us pay by force?
3. Why not making it compulsory for all travellers to be in isolation for 7 days upon arrival?
4. Why picking people at random?

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 10:13am On Oct 01, 2021
On the 7th day, I was called that I could leave anytime I wished. I could pick my passport anytime at the reception. I was given a discharge letter which I will post here if I am able to find it in my traveling box.

When I came out, see stigmatisation. Those that knew what I went through were trying to avoid me. Only few clearly understood it was a ruse and like to milk money from unsuspecting travellers.

Ghanaian government should know these:

- This action alone made some people to develop high blood pressure which might eventually lead to their deaths.

- The stigmatisation people go through with this is unbearable. Some people will always see a victim of the concocted lies as true Covid patient. Just to make money for some corrupt people.

- This is denting Ghana's image and Africa at large internationally.

- Someone like me will think twice before traveling to that country.

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 10:23am On Oct 01, 2021
I wish the mods here could push this to the front page for more people to know what travellers pass through I'm Ghana especially Nigerians. Something needs to be done about it.

Help to expose the maltreatment and undue advantage Nigerians pass through in these countries

Disguy Justwise lalasticlala Seun
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 3:57pm On Oct 01, 2021
Discharge letter

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by PetroDolla2020: 5:21pm On Oct 01, 2021
What exactly is the problem here? Ghana determines the rules and laws applicable in their country. It is the same for Nigeria. Anyone who has a problem with the Ghanaian system should doesn’t need to go to Ghana. Or am I missing something?

Why are nigerians complaining about what’s happening in Ghana?

Is anyone forcing anyone to travel?

200naira:
I wish the mods here could push this to the front page for more people to know what travellers pass through I'm Ghana especially Nigerians. Something needs to be done about it.

Help to expose the maltreatment and undue advantage Nigerians pass through in these countries

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by caprini1: 5:44pm On Oct 01, 2021
staga:

I lived and worked in Ghana ,they have very nice people too,but mostly women....but most of their men are devils in disguise.I lived in a bungalow of two flats ,just me and my landlord, when i travel to Nigeria , this man will go through the ceiling and steal from my apartment,he even steals from my car.If i forget to buy gifts for him from my travels,he keeps malice.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2021
PetroDolla2020:
What exactly is the problem here? Ghana determines the rules and laws applicable in their country. It is the same for Nigeria. Anyone who has a problem with the Ghanaian system should doesn’t need to go to Ghana. Or am I missing something?

Why are nigerians complaining about what’s happening in Ghana?

Is anyone forcing anyone to travel?

They should as well close their borders to prevent anyone to travel into their country. If there is any rule for anyone, let the world know not their fraudulent way of doing things.

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by staga: 6:36pm On Oct 01, 2021
caprini1:
I lived and worked in Ghana ,they have very nice people too,but mostly women....but most of their men are devils in disguise.I lived in a bungalow of two flats ,just me and my landlord, when i travel to Nigeria , this man will go through the ceiling and steal from my apartment,he even steals from my car.If i forget to buy gifts for him from my travels,he keeps malice.

I lived there for 2 years. You know what they call silent poison? That is what most Ghanaians I have met are. I have been refused a sale in a shop simply because I was a Nigerian. One of my guys had equivalent of N300,000 stolen by a Ghanaian couple, who then reported to their police that the guy was threatening them. We used some serious strong arm methods to recover that money.

If you are a Nigerian living in Ghana or planning to go to Ghana, please be very wise. It was their extortionist $150 charge for rapid COVID test at the airport (when Sierra Leone was charging $80) that forced a serious complaint at ECOWAS level before a uniform charge for ECOWAS citizens of $50 was mandated.

Nigerian students are the ones propping up their educational system as all fees are paid in US dollars.

Left to me, Ghana should be kicked out of ECOWAS and left on their own. Let them start requiring visas of everyone and let everyone also require visas of them. Let us see how they survive.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by caprini1: 6:44pm On Oct 01, 2021
staga:

I lived there for 2 years. You know what they call silent poison? That is what most Ghanaians I have met are. I have been refused a sale in a shop simply because I was a Nigerian. One of my guys had equivalent of N300,000 stolen by a Ghanaian couple, who then reported to their police that the guy was threatening them. We used some serious strong arm methods to recover that money.

If you are a Nigerian living in Ghana or planning to go to Ghana, please be very wise. It was their extortionist $150 charge for rapid COVID test at the airport (when Sierra Leone was charging $80) that forced a serious complaint at ECOWAS level before a uniform charge for ECOWAS citizens of $50 was mandated.

Nigerian students are the ones propping up their educational system as all fees are paid in US dollars.

Left to me, Ghana should be kicked out of ECOWAS and left on their own. Let them start requiring visas of everyone and let everyone also require visas of them. Let us see how they survive.
The best thing that happened to me was when the project that took me there concluded in 18 months ,instead of the estimated 2years,i left there like Ben Johnson on Steroids.Overrated piece of crap of a country.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by mdntiri(m): 9:41pm On Oct 01, 2021
200naira:

This is sad to hear. I'm Ghanaian. I've seen your musician Bella Smurda, some diaspora Ghanaians, African Americans etc complain about some "fraud" in the covid testing. These issues are not really in the news so we don't know what's going on. Please try to get this published on Ghanaweb for more traction, contact our media houses Joy FM/tv, Citi FM/tv, the presidency on twitter etc to get them notified. I'd also be doing my part. This shouldn't be happening

4 Likes

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by SarkinYarki: 10:00pm On Oct 01, 2021
Most West Africans are professional extortionist....

My question is what will happen if you don't have any money to pay for the hotel ?
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 10:11pm On Oct 01, 2021
SarkinYarki:
Most West Africans are professional extortionist....

My question is what will happen if you don't have any money to pay for the hotel ?

Good question there. There were some people who complained about not having enough. They were given the option of going to government provided isolation centers. The government would cater for the accommodation only while they would pay for their feeding and any other expenses. Their family members would be called and made to pay all the bills.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by 200naira: 10:13pm On Oct 01, 2021
mdntiri:

This is sad to hear. I'm Ghanaian. I've seen your musician Bella Smurda, some diaspora Ghanaians, African Americans etc complain about some "fraud" in the covid testing. These issues are not really in the news so we don't know what's going on. Please try to get this published on Ghanaweb for more traction, contact our media houses Joy FM/tv, Citi FM/tv, the presidency on twitter etc to get them notified. I'd also be doing my part. This shouldn't be happening

Thank you for this great submission. I will try to do what you advised there.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by malcom1X: 6:32am On Oct 04, 2021
Guy don't disturb yourself, countries are cashing out from this Covid stuff. Including Nigerians.

I wrote a topic about it here.

https://www.nairaland.com/6598823/indians-back-nigeria

Some hotels in Lagos are also cashing out on foreigners. Covid won't end easily.
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by saracen: 7:09am On Oct 04, 2021
Lol.....the funny thing is the company doing the COVID tests at the Kotoka Airport is owned by a Nigerian, Benedict Peters and a lot of the staff there are equally Nigerians so its not just a Ghanaian thing, they are pissed about the situation too.

1 Like

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by Imustreturn(m): 8:25am On Oct 04, 2021
Africa mad gaan
Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by mdntiri(m): 8:46am On Oct 04, 2021
saracen:
Lol.....the funny thing is the company doing the COVID tests at the Kotoka Airport is owned by a Nigerian, Benedict Peters and a lot of the staff there are equally Nigerians so its not just a Ghanaian thing, they are pissed about the situation too.

And what are they doing about the situation? So is it the Frontiers (Nigerian-owned covid testers) people who are faking some of the results? Im getting the impression that some countries/people are deliberately "cashing in" on this covid thing to enrich their pockets/economies.

In the case of Ghana maybe if there're no "fake" covid results some of these hotels won't get clients? I don't know

The billionaire Peters man I'm learning has been living in Ghana since 2015. Why he got the covid contract and not our equally competent Noguchi centre only God knows

2 Likes

Re: Fake Covid Results in Ghana. My personal experience... by mdntiri(m): 8:53am On Oct 04, 2021
malcom1X:
Guy don't disturb yourself, countries are cashing out from this Covid stuff. Including Nigerians.

I wrote a topic about it here.

https://www.nairaland.com/6598823/indians-back-nigeria

Some hotels in Lagos are also cashing out on foreigners. Covid won't end easily.

We should still make noise. Even if they'd cash out they should at least put a "human face" to it. Ghana used to charge a whopping 150 dollars for covid, until agitations brought it down to 50 dollars now

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Experience At The Abuja International Airport Today / FFDDGDGDG / 7 Ways To Go Through The Airport Quickly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.