Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Punishment In The Grave - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Punishment In The Grave (344 Views)

Are There Degrees Of Punishment In Hell? / Jesus Christ Spent 2 Days In The Grave Not 3 / Was Jesus In The Grave For 3days And 3nights Literally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:02am On Oct 04, 2021
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا حَفْصُ بْنُ عُمَرَ، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنْ عَلْقَمَةَ بْنِ مَرْثَدٍ، عَنْ سَعْدِ بْنِ عُبَيْدَةَ، عَنِ الْبَرَاءِ بْنِ عَازِبٍ ـ رضى الله عنهما ـ عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏‏ إِذَا أُقْعِدَ الْمُؤْمِنُ فِي قَبْرِهِ أُتِيَ، ثُمَّ شَهِدَ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ، وَأَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ، فَذَلِكَ قَوْلُهُ ‏{‏يُثَبِّتُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا بِالْقَوْلِ الثَّابِتِ‏}‏ ‏"‏‏.‏ حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ بَشَّارٍ حَدَّثَنَا غُنْدَرٌ حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ بِهَذَا وَزَادَ ‏{‏يُثَبِّتُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا‏}‏ نَزَلَتْ فِي عَذَابِ الْقَبْرِ‏.‏"

Narrated Al-Bara' bin 'Azib :

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "When a faithful believer is made to sit in his grave, then (the angels) come to him and he testifies that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Apostle. And that corresponds to Allah's statement: Allah will keep firm those who believe with the word that stands firm . . . (14:27).

Narrated Shu'ba:

Same as above and added, "Allah will keep firm those who believe . . . (14:27) was revealed concerning the punishment of the grave."

Sahih al-Bukhari 1369
In-book : Book 23, Hadith 122
USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 2, Book 23, Hadith 450  (deprecated)
Sahih Bukhari
Re: Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:03am On Oct 04, 2021
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا عَيَّاشُ بْنُ الْوَلِيدِ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الأَعْلَى، حَدَّثَنَا سَعِيدٌ، عَنْ قَتَادَةَ، عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ ـ رضى الله عنه ـ أَنَّهُ حَدَّثَهُمْ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏‏ إِنَّ الْعَبْدَ إِذَا وُضِعَ فِي قَبْرِهِ، وَتَوَلَّى عَنْهُ أَصْحَابُهُ، وَإِنَّهُ لَيَسْمَعُ قَرْعَ نِعَالِهِمْ، أَتَاهُ مَلَكَانِ فَيُقْعِدَانِهِ فَيَقُولاَنِ مَا كُنْتَ تَقُولُ فِي الرَّجُلِ لِمُحَمَّدٍ صلى الله عليه وسلم‏.‏ فَأَمَّا الْمُؤْمِنُ فَيَقُولُ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّهُ عَبْدُ اللَّهِ وَرَسُولُهُ‏.‏ فَيُقَالُ لَهُ انْظُرْ إِلَى مَقْعَدِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ، قَدْ أَبْدَلَكَ اللَّهُ بِهِ مَقْعَدًا مِنَ الْجَنَّةِ، فَيَرَاهُمَا جَمِيعًا ‏"‏‏.‏ قَالَ قَتَادَةُ وَذُكِرَ لَنَا أَنَّهُ يُفْسَحُ فِي قَبْرِهِ‏.‏ ثُمَّ رَجَعَ إِلَى حَدِيثِ أَنَسٍ قَالَ ‏"‏ وَأَمَّا الْمُنَافِقُ وَالْكَافِرُ فَيُقَالُ لَهُ مَا كُنْتَ تَقُولُ فِي هَذَا الرَّجُلِ فَيَقُولُ لاَ أَدْرِي، كُنْتُ أَقُولُ مَا يَقُولُ النَّاسُ‏.‏ فَيُقَالُ لاَ دَرَيْتَ وَلاَ تَلَيْتَ‏.‏ وَيُضْرَبُ بِمَطَارِقَ مِنْ حَدِيدٍ ضَرْبَةً، فَيَصِيحُ صَيْحَةً يَسْمَعُهَا مَنْ يَلِيهِ، غَيْرَ الثَّقَلَيْنِ ‏"‏‏.‏"

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "When (Allah's) slave is put in his grave and his companions return and he even hears their footsteps, two angels come to him and make him sit and ask, 'What did you use to say about this man (i.e. Muhammad)?' The faithful Believer will say, 'I testify that he is Allah's slave and His Apostle.' Then they will say to him, 'Look at your place in the Hell Fire; Allah has given you a place in Paradise instead of it.' So he will see both his places." (Qatada said, "We were informed that his grave would be made spacious." Then Qatada went back to the narration of Anas who saidwink Whereas a hypocrite or a non-believer will be asked, "What did you use to say about this man." He will reply, "I do not know; but I used to say what the people used to say." So they will say to him, "Neither did you know nor did you take the guidance (by reciting the Qur'an)." Then he will be hit with iron hammers once, that he will send such a cry as everything near to him will hear, except Jinns and human beings. (See Hadith No. 422).

Sahih al-Bukhari 1374
In-book : Book 23, Hadith 127
USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 2, Book 23, Hadith 456  (deprecated)
Sahih Bukhari
Re: Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:05am On Oct 04, 2021
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ بْنُ حُمَيْدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا يُونُسُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا شَيْبَانُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، عَنْ قَتَادَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَنَسُ بْنُ مَالِكٍ، قَالَ قَالَ نَبِيُّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏‏ إِنَّ الْعَبْدَ إِذَا وُضِعَ فِي قَبْرِهِ وَتَوَلَّى عَنْهُ أَصْحَابُهُ إِنَّهُ لَيَسْمَعُ قَرْعَ نِعَالِهِمْ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ يَأْتِيهِ مَلَكَانِ فَيُقْعِدَانِهِ فَيَقُولاَنِ لَهُ مَا كُنْتَ تَقُولُ فِي هَذَا الرَّجُلِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَأَمَّا الْمُؤْمِنُ فَيَقُولُ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّهُ عَبْدُ اللَّهِ وَرَسُولُهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَيُقَالُ لَهُ انْظُرْ إِلَى مَقْعَدِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ قَدْ أَبْدَلَكَ اللَّهُ بِهِ مَقْعَدًا مِنَ الْجَنَّةِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ نَبِيُّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ فَيَرَاهُمَا جَمِيعًا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ قَتَادَةُ وَذُكِرَ لَنَا أَنَّهُ يُفْسَحُ لَهُ فِي قَبْرِهِ سَبْعُونَ ذِرَاعًا وَيُمْلأُ عَلَيْهِ خَضِرًا إِلَى يَوْمِ يُبْعَثُونَ ‏.‏"

Anas b. Malik reported Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) having said:

When the servant is placed in his grave, his companions retrace their steps, and he hears the noise of their footsteps, two angels come to him and make him sit and say to him: What you have to say about this person (the Prophet)? If he is a believer, he would say: I bear testimony to the fact that he is a servant of Allah and His Messenger. Then it would be said to him: Look to your seat in the Hellfire, for Allah has substituted (the seat of yours) with a seat in Paradise. Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said: He would be shown both the seats. Qatada said: It was mentioned to us that his grave (the grave of a believer) expands to seventy cubits and is full with verdure until the Day when they would be resurrected.

Sahih Muslim 2870 a
In-book : Book 53, Hadith 85
USC-MSA web (English) : Book 40, Hadith 6862  (deprecated)
Sahih Muslim

Hadith

أَخْبَرَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ أَبِي عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ زُرَيْعٍ، عَنْ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ قَتَادَةَ، عَنْ أَنَسٍ، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏‏ إِنَّ الْعَبْدَ إِذَا وُضِعَ فِي قَبْرِهِ وَتَوَلَّى عَنْهُ أَصْحَابُهُ إِنَّهُ لَيَسْمَعُ قَرْعَ نِعَالِهِمْ أَتَاهُ مَلَكَانِ فَيُقْعِدَانِهِ فَيَقُولاَنِ لَهُ مَا كُنْتَ تَقُولُ فِي هَذَا الرَّجُلِ مُحَمَّدٍ فَأَمَّا الْمُؤْمِنُ فَيَقُولُ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّهُ عَبْدُ اللَّهِ وَرَسُولُهُ فَيُقَالُ لَهُ انْظُرْ إِلَى مَقْعَدِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ قَدْ أَبْدَلَكَ اللَّهُ بِهِ مَقْعَدًا خَيْرًا مِنْهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ فَيَرَاهُمَا جَمِيعًا وَأَمَّا الْكَافِرُ أَوِ الْمُنَافِقُ فَيُقَالُ لَهُ مَا كُنْتَ تَقُولُ فِي هَذَا الرَّجُلِ فَيَقُولُ لاَ أَدْرِي كُنْتُ أَقُولُ كَمَا يَقُولُ النَّاسُ ‏.‏ فَيُقَالُ لَهُ لاَ دَرَيْتَ وَلاَ تَلَيْتَ ‏.‏ ثُمَّ يُضْرَبُ ضَرْبَةً بَيْنَ أُذُنَيْهِ فَيَصِيحُ صَيْحَةً يَسْمَعُهَا مَنْ يَلِيهِ غَيْرُ الثَّقَلَيْنِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏"

It was narrated from Anas that the Prophet said:

"When a person is put in his grave and his companions leave him, he hears the sound of their sandals. Two angels come to him, making him sit up, and say to him: 'What did you say about this man (Muhammad)?' As for the believer, he says: 'I bear witness that he says: 'I bear witness that he is the slave of Allah and His Messenger.' It is said to him: 'Look at your place in hell; Allah has replaced it for you with a place better than it.''' The Messenger of Allah said: "Then he sees them both." As for the disbeliever or the hypocrite, it is said to him: 'What did you say about this man?' He says: 'I do not know; I used to say what the people said.' It is said to him: 'You did not understand and you did not follow those who had understanding.' Then he is dealt a blow between his ears and the man utters a scream which everything near him hears, except for the two races.'''

Sahih (Darussalam)

Sunan an-Nasa'i 2051
In-book : Book 21, Hadith 235
English translation : Vol. 3, Book 21, Hadith 2053
Sunan an-Nasai
Re: Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:06am On Oct 04, 2021
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ بَشَّارٍ، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنْ عَلْقَمَةَ بْنِ مَرْثَدٍ، عَنْ سَعْدِ بْنِ عُبَيْدَةَ، عَنِ الْبَرَاءِ بْنِ عَازِبٍ، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏‏ ‏{يُثَبِّتُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا بِالْقَوْلِ الثَّابِتِ }‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ نَزَلَتْ فِي عَذَابِ الْقَبْرِ يُقَالُ لَهُ ‏:‏ مَنْ رَبُّكَ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ رَبِّيَ اللَّهُ وَنَبِيِّي مُحَمَّدٌ فَذَلِكَ قَوْلُهُ ‏{يُثَبِّتُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا بِالْقَوْلِ الثَّابِتِ فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَفِي الآخِرَةِ}‏ ‏"‏ ‏.‏"

It was narrated from Bara' bin "Azib that the Prophet (ﷺ) said:

"Allah will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands firm." [14:27] This has been revealed concerning the torment of the grave. It will be said to him: "Who is your Lord?' He will say: "My Lord is Allah, and my Prophet is Muhammad.' This is what Allah says: Allah will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands firm in this world (i.e. they will keep on worshipping Allah Alone and none else), and in the Hereafter (i.e., at the time of questioning in the grave).'" [14:27]

Sahih (Darussalam)

English : Vol. 5, Book 37, Hadith 4269
Arabic : Book 37, Hadith 4410
Sunan Ibn Majah
Re: Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:14am On Oct 04, 2021
Comments on the hadiths brought forward..

Asalam alaikum warahmatulah wabarakahtuhu brothers and sisters..
It's evident that the punishment in the grave is real. And for one to scale free from the torment and punishment of grave, One must be a Muslim.

As we can see in the hadiths.. the questions that would be asked are the same thing that revolves around ones ibaadah on earth to be accepted.

1. Who do you worship? Allah.. if you are reeked with bidah, shirk or kufru or Riyaah.. you won't be able to answer this question.

Bidah (innovation) simply means the rejection of the rule of Allah and thereby implementing your own rule into the Deen. Simply means you have stand yourself as a competitor or a diety that can contend with Allah in legislation

Shirk has many form.. worship of creations of Allah (e.g. worshipping of human beings (Jesus, sango, obatala and others), worshiping of your desires ( seeing the proof that something is wrong according to the jurisdiction of Allah and you ignore it.. example, eating with spoon and all other ceremonies that's not part of Islam)

Riyaah.. this is the direct opposite of iklas. Iklas means to be doing act of worship for the sake of Allah..while riyaah means to be doing act of worship for people to praise you. Riyaah simply means SHOW OFF
Re: Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:18am On Oct 04, 2021
The second part is WHO IS YOUR PROPHET?

Allah sent prophet Muhammad to us as a messanger. To preach and explain HOW TO WORSHIP ALLAH.. to confirm and re affirm the messages of the earlier prophets.. even though Quran confirms that Islam is complete and prophet Muhammad is indeed the prophet and messanger of Allah..
But you.. you chose to reject and abuse the prophet and by disintegrating and embarrassing his messages by following another path ( your shehu, scholars, following civilization, following people, following cultures and the likes)..
How would you be able to
answer in the grave that YOU INDEED BELIEVE IN PROPHET MUHAMMAD?
Re: Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:19am On Oct 04, 2021
Do not forget

You must not die except you are a Muslim who practices Islam according to the teachings of PROPHET MUHAMMAD AND understanding of the sahabahs[i][/i]
Re: Punishment In The Grave by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 7:23am On Oct 04, 2021
Made a mistake, this is meant for Islam section.

How can I move it there please

(1) (Reply)

4 Dimensions Of Walking With God / Ex-gay Ghanaian Ordained As Pastor In Accra / Misotheism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.