Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,656 members, 7,851,251 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:50 PM

My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer (1490 Views)

Lagosians Struggle To Enter FCMB Bank As Lockdown Eases (Video) / UBA Bank Ebeano Estate Enugu Amid Coronavirus Issue (Photos) / My UBA Bank Account Has Been Frozen! Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Depressed101: 8:09pm On Oct 05, 2021
Up till yesterday, I never maintained a bank account with UBA, Reason being, I don't see them as innovative enough, have been managing my access bank and kuda bank (God bless kuda) as my main account.

So yesterday I encountered a problem with my Africard prepaid, which is issued by UBA, (but is not associated with any uba account) freelancers will understand.

So I worked into the bank and wrote a letter to effect some change in the said prepaid card. Why waiting I took the opportunity to open an account with them, it was smooth and I got a debit card instantly, I asked the customer care "hope I can shop online with this card?"

She replied as quoted "why would you Shop online?" shocked
Woo I was dumbfounded..

What will I use the card for then, if not for shopping online, I hardly goto the pos because I buy most of my stuffs online,and other digital commodities that I have to pay for.

She answered and said" because of scammers."
I laughed and replied jokingly ,"thanks I know my way around, they can't get me"

She shrugged with an expression that says "don't say I didn't tell you"

Anyway I left her cubicle and went to their supervisor who was to activate my card, he did it, and still tried to lecture me not to give anybody my card numbers if requested on the phone, that they will never call me for any reason.

I nodded and replied OK, I must admit "I was already finding it awkward, and a little embarrassing that this people are lecturing me on stuffs like this.. E mi cyber security guru
grin

Fast forward today I received a call from this number 08140386697, it's normal number but it was written "Mary UBA Bank".

I declined the call and called back, because what can I say God don bless me.

To my surprised the number declined and called back instead and introduced himself as Mr. BEN FROM UBA, first redflag., He called my name, said "Am I speaking with Mr so so" I replied yes

I just listened, because I can never see myself been scammed by a fellow Nigerian, never, and I mean it.. If you scam me, no matter how small the money I will find you wherever you are and make a scapegoat of you, that's my principle.

The guy told me for the record that I should not give people my card number, started advising me on security
I was just nodding my head, waiting for him to drop one SCam keyword..

Alas he wasn't, he was sounding all legit,until I stopped him, and asked "So why Exactly am I receiving this call?.

And then he mentioned the word," sir we are calling because we are doing some upgra.... I didn't let him finish when I started raining cusses on him..
He left the call and I blocked him..

Now, I received some funds, and then found out that the account had some limitations, I can deposit or withdraw more than 200,000. I saw an option to upgrade the limit to 1m, I was met with this sinister terms and conditions. And I for one, I have learnt to read T&C like kilode especially when it's associated with finance..

How can a bank carefully lay down plans to deny their customers if anything arises such as missing funds and electronic related frauds.. This terms and conditions is literally saying, you are on your own by using our bank, our card, our app..

Now with the experience I have had with this bank.. I don't need to expose myself to fraudsters to be a victim, I have not submitted my bvn to anywhere in resent time, I always see this news of Scammers calling people to ask for their card details, but I have never received such calls until after 24hrs I opened an account with UBA Bank , the only place I have submitted my bvn is at UBA Bank wuse 2 branch.

"THIS FRAUD IS BEEN PERPETRATED INSIDE UBA BANK"
MY ACCOUNT WAS CREATED YESTERDAY AND IN LESS THAN 24HRS THEY ARE ALREADY TRYING TO DEFRAUD ME, AND LIKE THE PERSON KNEW THAT I JUST RECEIVED A LUMPSOME MONEY INTO The new ACCOUNT, BEFORE HE CALLED I LITERALLY JUST RECEIVED SOME FUND BEFORE THIS SCAMMER CALLED..

MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS TO FP.
Cc Dominique

Nigerians need to know how this banks are taking us for granted, they take us for fools because we don't bother to read,.. I wonder what will happen to the millions of Nigerians who have signed that T&C and have trusted this bank..

The reason we keep our money in bank, is it not because we trust the bank to keep it for us, why would they tell us to sign a T&C that Denies us if anything arises?

Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Jojopikin85: 8:33pm On Oct 05, 2021
The same thing happened to me last month, I opened an account with UBA in Benin guess what after opening an account with them the next day I got a call from one scammer asking me stupid question that he works with UBA bla bla bla I should provide my bank details etc. There is an insider that gives out customer information at UBA.
Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Beblessedbaba: 8:34pm On Oct 05, 2021
I hope the mod move this to the front page.

A serious Bank will make a scapegoat of the insiders that sold your identity to scammers.

A serious Bank can easily track this from who checked your account details and do a quick call audits on the people you had contact with at the customer service, supervisor and co. Their call records will give them up, sack them immediately and prosecute them to the fullest extent.

Fire the head of the Bank legal and compliance team for including such clause.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Jojopikin85: 8:41pm On Oct 05, 2021
Jojopikin85:
The same thing happened to me last month, I opened an account with UBA in Benin guess what after opening an account with them the next day I got a call from one scammer asking me stupid question that he works with UBA bla bla bla I should provide my bank details etc. There is an insider that gives out customer information at UBA.
this was the number that called me that day.

Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by decatalyst(m): 8:53pm On Oct 05, 2021
It is always an insider job.

God will always expose them.

My pity always goes to all those mama and papa wey no too sabi the doings of this present world. Most of them must have been fleeced of their pensions and gratuities cry cry
Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Omoshalewa04(f): 12:29am On Oct 06, 2021
These things happen in all banks jare....

Same thing happened to me when i visited access bank last week to get a debit card.

Immediately i left the bank i got a call from an unknown number asking me for all my details.

That is why customer's should have enough knowledge about all of these things.
The bank is just indemnifying themselves as there are lots of fraudsters impersonating the banks these days.

This one na, if you snooze you loose..

Na Nigeria we dey.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by mzehnee(f): 12:34am On Oct 06, 2021
i had the same experience at GT bank, i opened my account and on that same day i got a call ..... i cant even remember the conversation but before i could say jack Robinson, all my funds were moved from my account.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Abefe760: 12:43am On Oct 06, 2021
This happens everywhere, I think there should be coordinated effort among all banks with CBN taking the lead as this is an industry problem.
Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by hizzypearl(f): 12:48am On Oct 06, 2021

1 Like

Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Teeteelayhor: 12:58am On Oct 06, 2021
Most of these banks would always indemnify themselves and advise customers not to divulge their account information.

We should all just try to keep our account details confidential and terminate any call from fraudsters.

This measure will also help to put an end to this type of situation.
Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Mikemath111: 6:01am On Oct 06, 2021
Literally, there is a measure that's being planned to be implemented on nabbing any Internal agent acting against the bank policies. But as we all know that fraudsters and hackers are always a step ahead of cyber security experts hence the need for sensitization and indemnification by the bank. Regardless of how knowledgeable one can ever be, it's a mandate that they let you know about the risk behind every thing you're about doing. Don't find it awkward for some have been swindled for lack of knowledge. As we crave to reach a promising end to stopping fraudsters, it's best you do all web transactions using a prepaid card because for every web transaction you make, there's someone at the back end of that web script who can decode anything you type in. But with a prepaid card, they can only have access to the money loaded on your prepaid card and not your bank account.

Stay safe as the bank continue to serve us the best way they can.
Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Depressed101: 11:27am On Oct 06, 2021
hizzypearl:
I'm a banker with one of the new generation bank and we have held several meetings with NIBBS and CBN concerning this issue. Emphasis needs to be laid on the outcome of this meetings so that the issue can be taken more seriously and effort can be made to put an end to this consistent incident.
i just left uba bank now, the customer care didn't give me confidence,she blamed nibss for the data breach, well I didn't submit my bvn to nibss, my bvn has always been on nibss data system since the day I created the bvn, I have never received any scam calls, not until I registered a new uba account, so the breach is not from nibss but from uba. I have written to cbn antifraud let's see where this goes
Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 06, 2021
09130468915..... Nah the one way call me be this... Same UBA... I even created my own experience here... Those people are badass

1 Like

Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Dre183(m): 6:26am On Oct 12, 2021
Uba is one of the useless bank when it comes to e-channel.

Very easy to perpetrate.
Re: My Experience With UBA Bank As A New Customer by Elock1: 7:25am On Oct 12, 2021
I don't think it's about Uba alone.

This thing happens in various banks, it's a Nigerian something.

I've been using Uba for a while and have never experienced any of this.

(1) (Reply)

A Chatting App That Pays You For Using It / *Free Advertisement For Nairaland Entrepreneurs* / How Do I Get A Land For Farming In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.