Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta (29203 Views)

Ahmed Musa Gifted A House To Joan Iwuchukwu, A Journalist In Abuja / Joan Laporta Returns As Barcelona President After Winning Club Elections / Messi Would Be Suspended Six Months For Conject Attacks (ESPN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by damilola4162(m): 12:04pm On Oct 08, 2021
Barcelona president, Joan Laporta, has once again spoken out about Lionel Messi's exit from the club, saying he had hoped that the captain would offer to play for the Catalan giants for free, Newspremises reports.

The club could not afford to keep hold of Messi amid their unprecedented financial woes, with the club racking up more than £1billion in debt and recording a £409million loss for last season.

Earlier in the summer, the club president explained that Barcelona's wage bill with six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi on the books would equal 110 per cent of their income.

As a result, the Argentina star bid an emotional farewell in a press conference before signing for the Ligue 1 giants, PSG in the summer on a two-year deal.

Speaking on Catalan radio station RAC1 via Mundo Deportivo, Laporta, 59, said he had hope the 34-year-old would at the last minute agree to play for free and extend his 21-year stay, but he ultimately acknowledged a player 'of his level' could not do so, after PSG presented a 'very powerful' offer.

'With Messi I do not get angry because I appreciate him. But when we see that he could not stay there is a certain disappointment on both sides. I know they had a huge desire to stay, but a lot of pressure because of the offer they had.

'Everything indicates that he already had the offer from PSG. Everyone knew that he had a very powerful offer. We knew that from Messi's side they had a very good offer.

'I did hope that at the last minute Messi would say he would play for free. I would have liked that and he would have convinced me. I understand that the League would have accepted it. But we cannot ask that of a player of his level.

'I thought it because I know him, he went up to the first team when I was there, I helped his family a lot. He knew that when we our economic situation recovered he would be reciprocated.'

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/we-wanted-messi-to-play-for-us-for-free-barcelona-president-joan-laporta/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by kinzation(m): 12:06pm On Oct 08, 2021
Laporta don see mumu

So he expects Messi to play for free grin
Asin free o

E not fit work

Then go smell pepper this season

FTC on a norms
Shalaout to the mods and all N'landers

220 Likes 14 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by PraisesPblaze(m): 12:13pm On Oct 08, 2021
Love for the game doesn't mean play the loved game for free. They are also playing for their pocket.
You think carrer na to run follow ball..? MONEY JOIN OH..!
Even team mates that will not play for a full season will collect salary.

No GOAT has played for free. If any will..?! Them he becomes a GREAT GOAT

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by OJEEMAH(m): 12:18pm On Oct 08, 2021
If Laporta had accepted the CVC loan deal from La liga, he wouldn't have said this trash cos Barcelona would have enough cash to keep Messi.

After falling foolishly for Perez's trap, Laporta still guts to utter talk nonsense.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by MangekyoAlt: 12:29pm On Oct 08, 2021
I thought those were just rumors... This man legit wanted the GOAT to play for a miserable team for free of charge? It seems LaPorta is actually more foolish than I thought.
Messi should left barca years ago sef. Very nonsensical team. Can't wait to see them get relegated

109 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Felabrity: 12:29pm On Oct 08, 2021
No be only free grin

Messi has turned almighty Barca to Ipswich city

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Charlieluvboy(m): 12:30pm On Oct 08, 2021
Haha! This man get mind oh, make a whole Messi when be say nah him dey carry Barcelona play for free? This most be a joke..

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Starz825(m): 12:30pm On Oct 08, 2021
Guy ...even for freetown Messi won't play for free...
Baba japa when Barca need am most cheesy
Cos Owo nikoko o grin

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 12:30pm On Oct 08, 2021
Lol... I remember when he was at barca and his fans said , noooo, Messi can't leave barca cos they treated him when he was young and ill... that he is forever grateful and loyal to them .. . I told them that the only reason messi was with barca is because barca is one of the best teams in football and that if it was valencia or villareal that did same, he wud hv left them since...they said I was talking trash grin grin... the moment barca madness start for pitch as iniesta, xavi puyol mascherano dani Alves villa comot.. omo ..baba japa , abandon sinking ship for money men grin grin ... I hv always said that footballer are like these modern women, there is nothing like loyalty... they only want trophies and money , if u like build statue put for field in their honor, they will japa once they hv a better offer and opportunity...

If he so much loved barca and appreciated what they did for him, he wud hv actually played for free cos that team got financially wrecked trying to keep messi... just like a struggling man trying to keep his trophy wife...
Guy man japa like oshimole wife as they kicked him out of APC chairmanship grin

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Baloranking(m): 12:30pm On Oct 08, 2021
You expect Messi to play free for you, under the leadership of a fraud and useless coach like koeman.

I just believe this statement is a joke. grin

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by adesegun121(m): 12:30pm On Oct 08, 2021
Ok

1 Like

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by fergie001: 12:30pm On Oct 08, 2021
Laporta, are you working for free?

Yeye talk.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Konsult07(m): 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2021
Are the board member working for free?

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Cantonese: 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2021
Jagbajantis intete!

No be only free. Make e kuku give una food and drink untop.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Mossadd: 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2021
Lol pessi will never do that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by chidonweb(m): 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2021
Can you imagine Nonsense.

You want the best player in the world to play for free.

24 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by azpekuliar: 12:32pm On Oct 08, 2021
Clown. As Barcelona’s president, are you working for free? cheesy

8 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by preshyusufu: 12:32pm On Oct 08, 2021
So Messi don lose value reach this level?

2 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by purplekayc(m): 12:32pm On Oct 08, 2021
tongue grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by jamexborn(m): 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2021
Shen gbo werey

Now send dis to your dad

2 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by fourboys: 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2021
E be like say this new Barca president go worst pas the old one embarassed embarassed which kind statement be dis

17 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by lereinter(m): 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2021
I thought buhari was the only stupid person leading

No

He has a colleague in lapota

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by dahnimoh(m): 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2021
Ok
You thought he will play for free

1 Like

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by wunmi590(m): 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2021

Why would he play for free, nah him papa get bercelona?

I'm a Ronaldo fan, even Ronaldo can not play for free, no free things in this our era again...

Gone are those days when Beckham played for free for psg before he retired, it can't happen again in this our era...

Shey nah stone Messi go use pay him pikin school fee?

5 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by babatee90(m): 12:34pm On Oct 08, 2021
The person that ran the club down is gonna play for free? Joke of a club

4 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by GeneralPula: 12:34pm On Oct 08, 2021
This current Barca team don cast..

Arab should come to their rescue

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by iambrazen: 12:34pm On Oct 08, 2021
Free ke

Fairfield apartments.

Need to invest in a property that will give you maximum returns on investment? Look no further.
This property located in Abijo GRA, few mins from Ajah will earn you rental income that will pay up the cost of the property in less than 5 years.

The sporting facility and other amenities here is world class.
Dont be left out, reach out to me on watsapp, let's help you secure a spot before its too late
080 6029 1729

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by GABRIEL6036: 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2021
Even if he play for Eyimba, he must collect ego grin

1 Like

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by AngelHoly(m): 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2021
Play for free,���
Abii him weh be president no dey collect salary

2 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by vinceyinnovation: 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2021
After spending so much on messi, the deserve jara service...

Messi made sure he milk barca dry before going...

Messi fans coming for my head...

DO YOU KNOW WHO MY GOAT IS?

HE can never do such to his club!!!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet The Nigeria Football Team Of 1962 / Chelsea Announce Europa League Squad / Kenyan Abraham Kipton Wins Lagos City Marathon 2017 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.