Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,833 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) (62417 Views)

Julius Malema Supporters Beat Up Whites Protesting 'Racist' Song in SA (PICS) / Sesame Street's Rosita Ignores Black Kids At Park, Causes Outrage In U.S.(Video) / HOW UK TAX IS SPENT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:41pm On Oct 08, 2021
Eastern Cape councillors in hot water

Political leaders in the Enoch Mgijima Municipality (councillors) who oversaw the construction and unveiling of the controversial 15 million rands (368 million naira) Lessyton Sports Field in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa, are in hot water.

The provincial Cooperative Governance minister, Xolile Nqatha, gave them 48 hours to tell him why they should not be suspended for reportedly wasting taxpayers' money and bringing the ruling ANC party into disrepute.

He was speaking at the sport field during an oversight visit on Thursday.

This after pictures of the under-resourced sports field, which circulated on social media this week, caused an uproar.

Scores of people questioned its hefty price tag.

The sports field has no working ablution facilities and electricity, while its grass athletic track is marked with fading white paint. It also has removable roofless metal stands for spectators.

Nqatha said the fate of councillors depended on the report he was expecting from the municipality's speaker, Bongiwe Gladness van Heerden.

"Therefore, the speaker, who is responsible for [the] code and conduct of councillors, must give me a report as to what she is doing to ensure that those councillors are held accountable.

"For that, I am giving her 48 hours to give me the report showing what steps she is taking to hold those councillors responsible for bringing the institution into disrepute."

Speaking in the presence of the municipality's leadership, Nqatha said: "I am not a technical expert, but what I have seen and what I have read, there is no value for money here. There's got to be accountability as to whether due processes were followed in appointing the service provider and what really happened."

Meanwhile, the ANC's provincial executive committee (PEC) said if the investigation found any wrongdoing, the provincial government would act and deal decisively with corruption, mismanagement and the waste of public resources to make sure public money was spent on the services needed.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:42pm On Oct 08, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Bola146(f): 6:42pm On Oct 08, 2021
grin grin grin

210 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by edmaraja: 6:45pm On Oct 08, 2021
Africa, my Africa grin grin grin

Chai!!!!

419 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Israeldan1(m): 6:46pm On Oct 08, 2021
Blood of Jesus!!!

158 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by vibre: 6:48pm On Oct 08, 2021
And they still put ribbon to commission it grin

322 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:48pm On Oct 08, 2021

4 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by samista: 6:50pm On Oct 08, 2021
See the shameless people opening teeth to take pictures

168 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Freestainworld(m): 6:57pm On Oct 08, 2021
See massive looting

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Bornsinner7: 7:08pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hahaha

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by UwaMmebii(m): 7:14pm On Oct 08, 2021
Chai looting spree

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by illicit(m): 7:15pm On Oct 08, 2021
shocked
Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Prayfortheworld: 7:23pm On Oct 08, 2021
grin grin
See goal post
This is the real definition of corruption honestly

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by benuejosh: 7:23pm On Oct 08, 2021
They are not different from PDP who spent about N11.5billion for an imaginary headquarters of their Party.

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Kayberg: 7:31pm On Oct 08, 2021
Nigeria don finally extend hands to SA… Kudos…

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Mcreloaded(m): 7:39pm On Oct 08, 2021
One public toilet that was comissioned and a kpako bridge comes to mind.
Lol.
Africa my Africa we too strong

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Xtianah09: 10:28pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kwaruption every where

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by TMKsouth: 11:54am On Oct 09, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by MangekyoAlt: 11:58am On Oct 09, 2021
N300 million is a small money na.
That's not even upto £600k.

Although that doesn't mean they couldn't have done better undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by vedaxcool(m): 6:22pm On Oct 09, 2021
angry angry
Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by RiceProducers: 5:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
That's a local government being empowered enough to build a stadium. This does not happen in Nigeria

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Tobiloba24072: 6:30pm On Oct 10, 2021
TMKsouth:
Eastern Cape councillors in hot water

Political leaders in the Enoch Mgijima Municipality (councillors) who oversaw the construction and unveiling of the controversial 15 million rands (368 million naira) Lessyton Sports Field in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa, are in hot water.

The provincial Cooperative Governance minister, Xolile Nqatha, gave them 48 hours to tell him why they should not be suspended for reportedly wasting taxpayers' money and bringing the ruling ANC party into disrepute.

He was speaking at the sport field during an oversight visit on Thursday.

This after pictures of the under-resourced sports field, which circulated on social media this week, caused an uproar.

Scores of people questioned its hefty price tag.

The sports field has no working ablution facilities and electricity, while its grass athletic track is marked with fading white paint. It also has removable roofless metal stands for spectators.

Nqatha said the fate of councillors depended on the report he was expecting from the municipality's speaker, Bongiwe Gladness van Heerden.

"Therefore, the speaker, who is responsible for [the] code and conduct of councillors, must give me a report as to what she is doing to ensure that those councillors are held accountable.

"For that, I am giving her 48 hours to give me the report showing what steps she is taking to hold those councillors responsible for bringing the institution into disrepute."

Speaking in the presence of the municipality's leadership, Nqatha said: "I am not a technical expert, but what I have seen and what I have read, there is no value for money here. There's got to be accountability as to whether due processes were followed in appointing the service provider and what really happened."

Meanwhile, the ANC's provincial executive committee (PEC) said if the investigation found any wrongdoing, the provincial government would act and deal decisively with corruption, mismanagement and the waste of public resources to make sure public money was spent on the services needed.

Maybe nah the land cost, real estate value of the location is high and expensive.

6 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:44pm On Oct 10, 2021
Tobiloba24072:

Maybe nah the land cost, real estate value of the location is high and expensive.

Turns out this company has a history of shoddy work.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by zhike: 9:12pm On Oct 10, 2021
The good thing is that justice works in South Africa, this people will payback all the money they gained unlawfully and they will also charged by court of law.

If it was Nigeria, nothing was going to happen to councilors because corruption is a way of living in Nigeria and also because there is no justice and accountability

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by TMKsouth: 9:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
zhike:
The good thing is that justice works in South Africa, this people will payback all the money they gained unlawfully and they will also charged by court of law.

If it was Nigeria, nothing was going to happen to councilors because corruption is a way of living in Nigeria and also because there is no justice and accountability

@bolded - that's true.

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Cousin9999: 11:52pm On Oct 10, 2021

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Legalcriminal: 10:51am On Oct 11, 2021
This Africa is a joke

3 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by Dalil8: 10:51am On Oct 11, 2021
Third world shithole

Not surprised.
Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by chidonweb(m): 10:51am On Oct 11, 2021
This is very cheap when you compare it with how much our politicians spend on lower projects

7 Likes

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by symbianDON(m): 10:51am On Oct 11, 2021
Where is the stadium?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In SA as N368-million Is Spent To Build This Stadium (PIX) by AlabiJ: 10:51am On Oct 11, 2021
Sakamaje stadium. grin grin grin Laugh wan kee me. cheesy Kwarapshan. grin shocked shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Socialite 'Ginimbi' Bought Casket A Week Before His Death (photos) / Stuart Varney: Zelensky Is A Puppet Not A Hero. Fake News Coming From Ukraine / Countries With The Biggest Debts In The World (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.