Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,356 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? (38062 Views)

QA Automation Tester Needed For A Job 400k Monthly Salary / Ethical Hacking And Penetration Testing For Educational Purposes / ISTQB Standard Trained Software Tester. Any Other Tester In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by adeSoft2yk: 9:25am On Oct 10, 2021
KVN1:
Good evening everyone. I just left school yet I still feel so inadequate because of a lack of skill. I really wish to become a penetration tester, but I don't even have an idea on how to go about it. I don't have any background in programming so please I need the advice of everyone who can help, even with companies where I can learn it.

It is a good one to reason on how to be guru in pentesting but you need to learn how to make use of pentesting tools. You also need to be familiar with any virtual machine e.g VMWARE and Kali Linux formerly known as Backtrack. If you need more info and lecture, contact me
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by dominion001(m): 9:57am On Oct 10, 2021
Corrupt Generation
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by GregJo: 9:59am On Oct 10, 2021
27000 views on a Programming thread?

I knew the comments were not gonna disappoint
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by ableguy(m): 10:26am On Oct 10, 2021
People are not alright, truly.
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by aytuns(m): 1:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by aytuns(m): 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2021
chukzyfcbb:
First of, you canot break into a system you don't even understand how its built.

To break into a bank, you must understand how the bank operates, so likewise to penetrate computing system you must understand how the systems work.

- Learn Computer Networking and how the TcP/IP works, how packets gets routed.

- Learn the Windows OS, Active directory and how it works

- Move to Linux, master the Linux shell

- Move to Basic scripting (bash/python) you don't actually need this to start tho. Infact you can make excellent money without knowing how to script but to hit elite status you need to know one.

- Once you have mastered those. Get a Kali Linux OX, visit Udemy and search for the cyber mentor by heath Adams. He is the most recommended and the easiest teacher to follow.

Follow his course like a disciple following Jesus. Pratice pratice pratice....

In 6months you would start doing dangerous things.

In all you do, remember to play legal, otherwise your fellow security boiz and girls will nab you and hand you over to EFCC smiley

Goodluck!!! wink

Thank you very much
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by kambili999(f): 1:45pm On Oct 10, 2021
Pacesetter123:
Which comment will you learn from?
The ones made by weird nairalanders in this thread?
Except you will love to learn from their weird comments about the other type of penetration they have already turned write-up into.
I understand that a lot of weird people drop comments here. But there are very wonderful people here to. So I won't completely rule them out. I sieve the weirdos and take the good ones. Thanks tho
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Lilkeys: 2:01pm On Oct 10, 2021
Omo people wey their mind dirty here much
And dem go Dey claim say Dey go church oo
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Jerry299: 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2021
KVN1:
Good evening everyone. I just left school yet I still feel so inadequate because of a lack of skill. I really wish to become a penetration tester, but I don't even have an idea on how to go about it. I don't have any background in programming so please I need the advice of everyone who can help, even with companies where I can learn it.

You'd have to be comfortable with python first.. Then there are dozens of free contents especially by freecodecamp on YouTube to help you..
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Pacesetter123(m): 6:04pm On Oct 10, 2021
kambili999:
I understand that a lot of weird people drop comments here. But there are very wonderful people here to. So I won't completely rule them out. I sieve the weirdos and take the good ones. Thanks tho
grin grin grin
That's so good of you.
Uwlcm n do have a pleasant day ahead dear
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 6:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
Start with the CompTIA Sec+. This is the foundation to your cyber security career after which you can take the (CEH) training, a pathway of becoming an ethical hacker or a pen tester. Please don’t take the CEH training without going through the CompTIA Sec+ except you’re a genius.

The Sec+ will definitely introduce you to vulnerability assessment and penetration testing. The former is to identify weaknesses in your environment, while the later is to exploit the weaknesses in your environment.

If you’re passionate about it, I can forward you a Sec+ material for free, or you can go to www.udemy.com and check for some cheap trainings courses, however you’ll still need the hands-on and a virtual environment to practice the tools.
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by nairatony(m): 12:23pm On Oct 11, 2021
If you’re passionate about it, I can forward you a Sec+ material for free, or you can go to www.udemy.com and check for some cheap trainings courses, however you’ll still need the hands-on and a virtual environment to practice the tools.[/quote]

Hello Sir, I will be glad to get the Sec + materials from you, most especially the below material;

comptia security+ get certified get ahead: sy0-601 study guide by darril gibson

Also, how do I contact you, my WhatsApp: 08057556938
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Kennyking1234: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2021
Alicia1:
it sucks reading gabbages on front page, at least if you don't know how its done can't you know what it is ? can believe Our youths are still Dumbfvk in this tech edge, that's how some are discouraging me to go into tech as a female. smh
hi
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by airsaylongcome: 6:21pm On Oct 11, 2021
nairatony:

Hello Sir, I will be glad to get the Sec + materials from you, most especially the below material;

comptia security+ get certified get ahead: sy0-601 study guide by darril gibson

Also, how do I contact you, my WhatsApp: 08057556938

https://dl1.newoutlook.it/book/2021/03/21/Securityplus.pdf
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by sosowater: 1:23am On Oct 12, 2021
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Alicia1(f): 3:30am On Oct 13, 2021
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Kennyking1234: 12:10pm On Oct 13, 2021
Alicia1:
hey!
do you code? would like to know you...
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Alicia1(f): 6:48pm On Oct 13, 2021
Kennyking1234:

do you code? would like to know you...
no, am learning to code.. cheesy do you have work for me already? lol
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by azak: 7:37am On Oct 23, 2021
Tomahawk99:
The best way to go about it is to learn the basics.
Mind you, you will not become a penetration tester in a year. You need lots of practice.
Learn basics like TCP/IP protocol (Important), Linux OS, subscribe to some YouTube channels for good tutorials, textbooks. You can also join study forums like HackTheBox where you get to learn the practicals.
Pentester academy is also another good place to study to become a penetration tester.
I started my journey of becoming a penetration tester in 2016. HackTheBox, YouTube, Cybrary, Pentester academy, books like The Hacker playbook 1&2, Penetration testing: Introduction to hacking by Georgia Weidman, Red Team Field manual, Linux for hackers and resources/links & free mentorship on Twitter.
For certs you can start with CompTIA Security+ or the new Penetration testing course introduced by CompTIA. I took the certified ethical hacker (CEH) version 10 certification course and now am preparing to take the Offensive Security OSCP course which is highly regarded in the infosec industry.

I have comptia security+ voucher for sale. Anyone interested can contact me.

1 Like

Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by funnyDM: 3:28pm On Oct 24, 2021
We've once been there. But stopped due to family issues and the like.

To begin with,

Learn python then

Download and learn the book, violent python. Then

Learn network programming with python. Then

Learn sys adm with python

Now you're good to go.

Next, learn database management and security....

And if you think you want to be an elite, learn

C++
Buffer overflow
Malware analysis and development

And if you hit some million bucks in the process, share with niggas

Good luck.
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Finehotbro(m): 9:23pm On Oct 24, 2021
EvilSec:
First, find people of your same level to hang around with, that can explain things in your own terms (experts explaining things over your head really sucks).

Second, get a Raspberry Pi. Start "sysadmining" the Raspberry Pi. Find fun projects. At some point, start playing around with networking on it. Explore all the fun command-line tools, like 'traceroute'. Use 'openwrt' as your home router and "netadmin" that heck out of that. Now install web services on your RPi and play around with that, watching how your web server can serve raw HTML containing CSS and JavaScript. Create your own website. Now buy a domain name and push out to an AWS server. Make a LAMP app that serves stuff from an SQL database.

Now hack your server with SQL injection. Keep playing with bad server-side scripts until you get good at SQL injection.

Play with Chrome "Developer Tools" to explore how websites construct their web pages.

Now it's time for JavaScript. Spend some time learning abstract programming language theory with JavaScript as well as practical fun with it both inside the browser ("Developer Tools" again) and on the command-line ("NodeJS"wink.

My best learning came not from mentors, but from people my own level. They, too, can suck, I still bitterly resent that 15 year explaining 'arrays' to me in a totally messed up manner when I was 14. But it's through talking about such things that we acquire knowledge.
How much na Pi? I wan run Kali on top that thing,
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by EvilSec: 4:38pm On Oct 26, 2021
Finehotbro:
How much na Pi? I wan run Kali on top that thing,
From $35.
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by OgwuEgo: 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2021
Bad boy
Kennyking1234:
hi
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Ayzeeez: 7:11am On Nov 07, 2021
Get affordable web hosting and domain names to manage and host your website. Contact us- https://vogueserver.com.ng | 07030132610 https:///Ph6x69uJ9c
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by TechspeciaIist(m): 2:20pm On Jan 28, 2022
etimism1981:
That is under Cyber security and Ethical Hacking. Can mail me and give you thorough training on That. Mail: ottongubong@gmail.com.
boss your number mbok
Re: What Are Those Steps To Becoming A Penetration Tester? by Tomahawk99(m): 4:24pm On Feb 13, 2022
Learn the basics, Linux OS, the command line, TCP/IP for a start.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Best Programming Language To Learn This 2021: The Beginner's Guide / Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Group / Post Ur Vb 6.0 Questions Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.