Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,765 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation (7885 Views)

Have You Seen This Device? / Ten Things You Didn't Know Your Smartphone Could Do / Please Help Me Identity This Device (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 17, 2021
I doubt if anyone here used this device. This is a pager. A historic electronic device used in sending record messages to big boys of yesteryears before the Advent of mobile phones.

I remember back in the day when I was working with a multichoice agency. My boss ( the agent) then was never in the office. So he had a pager which I normally send messages to him, either through a landline or I'll go to their paging office then at Kingsway ikoyi to send him the message using his pager number.

Work then was a lot stressful as this was the only fastest means of communication but then youll have to take the pain to Walk down to the paging office everyday except if you have a landline to call the office and relate your message and details of the receiver to them to send or forget about the message. Most times I don't bother and he'll be like " why didn't you page me yesterday and bla bla"? grin

Las las, I got tired of the job because of that everday "Waka Waka" and after the people (a neighboring office) I was using their landline started misbehaving and I stopped going there.

Times have really changed. I'm sure no one uses it any longer.

2 Likes

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by ahnie: 3:41pm On Oct 17, 2021
Na pager be this nau

1 Like

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 17, 2021
Wow! A whooping 47 views and no one can relate? Hm.. now I know how to catch the smallies on here lol...

Let me see anybody talk when I talk tongue.

Or could it be a case of lack of exposure? Hmmm...
Well I was exposed quite early in life to so many things except immorality..

Anyways, just Educate yourself with the post if you can't relate. wink.

4 Likes

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 17, 2021
ahnie:
Na pager be this nau

Ah finally! Someone who knows about it.

Babes, you use am? tongue
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by ahnie: 3:46pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:

Ah finally! Someone who knows about it.

Babes, you use am? tongue
Lolz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by illicit(m): 3:51pm On Oct 17, 2021
undecided

1 Like

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 17, 2021
illicit:
undecided

Don't worry. I know that look. You don't know it. cool
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by lilvicky68(m): 3:55pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:
Wow! A whooping 47 views and no one can relate? Hm.. now I know how to catch the smallies on here lol...

Who ask you??
No be guilty conscience be this?? grin

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 17, 2021
lilvicky68:

Who ask you??
No be guilty conscience be this?? grin

M! Before them help me conclude. You don't know your people again? grin
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by lilvicky68(m): 3:59pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:

M! Before them help me conclude. You don't know your people again? grin
Omo. What's that strange equipment abi device self?
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 17, 2021
lilvicky68:

Omo. What's that strange equipment abi device self?

Lol.. you no go understand. Only big boys will.

It's a pager!
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by lilvicky68(m): 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:

Lol.. you no go understand. Only big boys will.

It's a pager!
Old big boys you mean

3 Likes

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 17, 2021
lilvicky68:

Old big boys you mean

Who's old?

Dragnet, please, for wider view let see if there are people who still remember this device or even use it.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by lilvicky68(m): 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:

Who's old?

Dragnet, please, for wider view let see if there are people who still remember this device or even use it.
I meant older bigger boys.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2021
Lol you must be older than us all o! You were even working then? cheesy

6 Likes

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by ruggedtimi(m): 4:22pm On Oct 17, 2021
Pager

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:
Lol you must be older than us all o! You were even working then? cheesy

I'm not old.

Yeah. That was my first job after secondary school and awaiting result.

1 Like

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by falcon01: 4:26pm On Oct 17, 2021
That's a pager, didn't use it but I know when it was used

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Ofadaman(m): 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2021
I'm old and I've never seen this real life, I only watch them in old movies

8 Likes

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2021
ruggedtimi:
Pager

Correct!
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2021
Ofadaman:
I'm old and I've never seen this real life, I only watch them in old movies

Oh.. ok.
falcon01:
That's a pager, didn't use it but I know when it was used
Yes it is.
What year?
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by captainking(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2021
Pager nah..
Then this was for the big boys and ladies..
Now it doesn't exist.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Vulcanheph(m): 4:35pm On Oct 17, 2021
To be honest , I never used this and I was born in the early 90's... The problem why many nigerians don't know about is because the technology died a natural death due to the emergence of mobile phones which kind of made it redundant.

I only know about it due to the fact that I love watching old Hollywood movies of the 80's and 90's, which is where I saw it being used and until now I don't fully understand how it was used .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by WaterWalker5(m): 4:38pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:

Don't worry. I know that look. You don't know it. cool
I know what a pager is though I didn't use one. The one I used was the forerunner of the touchscreen phones. The PDA or Palm Desktop Assistant. So @mercychen did you use it or were you opportuned to have one?
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 17, 2021
Vulcanheph:
To be honest , I never used this and I was born in the early 90's... The problem why many nigerians don't know about is because the technology died a natural death due to the emergence of mobile phones which kind of made it redundant.

I only know about it due to the fact that I love watching old Hollywood movies of the 80's and 90's, which is where I saw it being used and until now I don't fully understand how it was used .

Yes. The emergence of mobile phones faced it off but before then, it was hot cake.
And you'll be hearing things like " can I have your pager number"? Lol.. grin.

captainking:
Pager nah..
Then this was for the big boys and ladies..
Now it doesn't exist.

As In... Those ikoyi big boys and ladies no let person see road that time.
You're very correct.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2021
WaterWalker5:

I know what a pager is though I didn't use one. The one I used was the forerunner of the touchscreen phones. The PDA or Palm Desktop Assistant. So @mercychen did you use it or were you opportuned to have one?

Oh..k. palmtop that comes with a light pen used in operating it. That one came after pager.

My boss was the one using it ( pager). It's always tucked in his trouser waist band or belt and be beeping all the time. I never owned one.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by OnlineArchitect: 4:49pm On Oct 17, 2021
Yeah it's a pager never used it but i sure know about it.. Lala this is fp worthy atleast to educate all this indomitable generations here way no dey allow us rest tongue

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by WaterWalker5(m): 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:

Oh..k. palmtop. That one came after pager.

My boss was the one using it. It's always tucked in his trouser waist band or belt and be beeping all the time. I never owned one.
My Pastor had one and at the time I used to work with a close church member to him. Wow to imagine that such a device actually exist! Another old school device is the nanopod and Discman.

1 Like

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 17, 2021
WaterWalker5:

My Pastor had one and at the time I used to work with a close church member to him. Wow to imagine that such a device actually exist! Another old school device is the nanopod and Discman.

Yeah yeah.. cool.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by McStoic(m): 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2021
Mercychen:

My dear this device should not be used to gauge who is indomie generation and who is not. Reason being that this kind of device then was only meant for the rich, so to say. Just like telephones way back, .many couldn't afford these kinda luxuries then. Hence to gauge who is and who is not indomie generation next time, use every day devices and regulars possessions accessible to everyone then e.g beverages, snacks etc.

I am not of the indomie generation, yet I and my family weren't privileged to have such devices in our houses/offices then. Though I thank God things have changed since for us. grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 17, 2021
McStoic:

My dear this device should not be used to gauge who is indomie generation and who is not. Reason being that this kind of device then was only meant for the rich, so to say. Just like telephones way back, .many couldn't afford these kinda luxuries then. Hence to gauge who is and who is not indomie generation next time, use every day devices and regulars possessions accessible to everyone then e.g beverages, snacks etc.

I am not of the indomie generation, yet I and my family weren't privileged to have such devices in our houses/offices then. Though I thank God things have changed since for us. grin

Lol.. ok. No vex. but even though not everyone was privilege to own a landphone, majority knew about it either through TV movies or adverts.

It's all good. At least now you know.

2 Likes

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Snitch24(m): 5:08pm On Oct 17, 2021
What's it used for
Tell us
In my opinion
I think it looks like a portable FM radio

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hidden Secret Of Mtn monthly Whatsapp Subscription / How Bad Has The Mtn Service And Bis Been In Your Area / 5 Reasons Why You Should Buy The Infinix Hot 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.