Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,248 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. (26006 Views)

MSc Holder Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Abbreviations In His Application / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Blackfriday: 4:26pm On Oct 22, 2021
EXPRESSSMAN:
I did a recruitment interview for my company. In the end, one lady performed above others in both the written and oral interviews. I recommended her for the job. The lady had a low cut. The boss said that he is not comfortable with ladies that had low cuts. That I should look for another. I told him that the girl is good for that job from my assessment. That we should advise her to be putting on wigs. He asked if I knew the girl before, I said no. He asked if I have collected any form of bribe, I said no. He then accepted and the lady was employed.
Three weeks later, the boss told me that the lady is doing very well on the job and asked me to review her salary. Within 6 months, he bought a personal car for her and keep on praising her for doing the jod well.
The core objectives are what matters, job seekers are usually anxious at first, such thing could be overlooked and corrected immediately since she was good.
you did a nice job, by recognizing the quality in the candidate and standing your ground to defend your decision in hiring her. She proved you right.

Now, it is your job to equally educate your boss (if you are the human resource manager), to learn to get pass physical appearance and focus on the key qualities needed in a candidate, for a particular position, that culture is dead. It's like SARS, branding everyone they see with a nice car and tattoo, a yahoo boy.

I'm sure 90% of guys were I work, will not near organization, we have guys coming to with a pirced earrings, ladies with different color of hair and ripped jeans, tattoos and oh, my CEO has a superb punk hair style. But you know what, quarter by quarter, each department in my organization,is breaking their set target. And we don't forget to have fun, every Friday at the company's rooftop bar grin
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by adubam(m): 4:35pm On Oct 22, 2021
I have gone through the comments:

1. For those abusing me, well if you knew the efforts I took to filter the lady I don't know from Adam to attend that job interview you wouldn't have abused me
2. I was really pained but I couldn't do anything after all me too na employee.
3. Interview continues last last somebody must be picked for the job.
UNA WELL DONE
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by murphymakun(m): 4:36pm On Oct 22, 2021
Your boss is still a learner, in a standard organisation
They’ll prefer you to leave the error for them to see.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Ameduedwin: 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2021
Nigeria employer are very useless to their very company, imagine, if the girl have the potential to make changes in that company and make the company a top Best company. Because of a mere shit.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by alphaNomega: 4:41pm On Oct 22, 2021
Gudbadguy:
The company is not serious they would have given her more than one paper! Being the best out of 400 pipul is not an easy feat
she was not the best of 400 people, she was the only one who came for the interview out of 3 candidates that were invited.

Read the first post again
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by HajiaNotu: 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2021
Theres a reason why the other two applicants didnt show up undecided
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Kunlelee: 4:49pm On Oct 22, 2021
your boss is either heartless or senseless, even you yourself confirm that out of 400 people, this country ehn, if she request for more paper, she will be term wasteful. if you can advice the likes of your boss, tell him to stop frustrating job seekers, the country is currently hard than all this...
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Bahddo(m): 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2021
On top 150k. Hopefully I'd never work for a Nigerian company ever again. They never know what is truly important.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by derolemode(m): 4:53pm On Oct 22, 2021
We are just in a country where we play squid game looking for how to oust someone at every point.
You just said she's intelligent.
My country is just a sh*t hole. If she had gone ahead to ask for another paper then another employer would say she doesn't have good management skills.
This is how we tend to lose good manpower.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Benprass(m): 5:02pm On Oct 22, 2021
People are naturaly wicked

Your boss is a devil.

May we not meet those that will destroy our testimony and breakthrough in life
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by emecheboy2(m): 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2021
They already have their candidate, the lady was just in their way so they use the useless excuse to kick her out.
this is why we have qualified graduates roaming the streets why man know man without brains keep getting the jobs.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Imagynation: 5:12pm On Oct 22, 2021
Op be realistic,are you sure your boss did not employed her just for that?Or because she might not do your boss secret fantasy?
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by adubam(m): 5:22pm On Oct 22, 2021
emecheboy2:
They already have their candidate, the lady was just in their way so they use the useless excuse to kick her out.
this is why we have qualified graduates roaming the streets why man know man without brains keep getting the jobs.

No candidate yet. Interview continues tomorrow. Job is advertised on jobberman
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by linearity: 7:08pm On Oct 22, 2021
adubam:
I just want to share this painful and bitter scenario to job seekers out there.

So we posted a job advert and over four hundred applied. Three were selected for interview and only one appeared.

Salary is about 150k for a start.

So this applicant came and did well in both oral and written interview but she was not given the job because of this:

She was given a paper to apply for the job. Excellent write up though but she messed up the whole paper with cancellation and instead of asking for a fresh paper to start over again; she even went ahead and handed over it like that to my boss.

My boss concluded that she was an untidy and scatty fellow.

And that was all.

Please take note of this and try not to make this mistake.

God grant you your desired jobs.

This mentality that employees have, that they are doing job applicants a ‘favor’ by employing them is what is contributing to malperformance in companies today.

No one is perfect, more so you now know her flaws, why not hire her because of the other stellar attributes she possesses that are needed by the job and advise on this issue?

Now, you guys are going to waste time and resources to go through another round of job posting, going through resumes and interviewing people and may end up selecting a candidate with a bigger but hidden flaw.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by numericalguy(m): 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2021
wink
BigDawsNet:

You need to control your emotions and don't call people dump...

You really have kno idea who we all are here on this platform... We all hide under the shadowss of nairaland

I never mentioned examination! I said Classwork.... If you have a little bit knowledge on programming languages course then you will know it's a tactics to help young Developer master coding writing....

If the dude feels he doesn't wanna give the lady the job...guess what! Nobody will jail him...he owns his job and he make his decision even tho they are terrible once...

Your government piss you guys off daily and you can't do anything about it...
Why? Because they control the power!

I pray the lady get what she deserves
She lost the job but I believe she will get better offer soon....

Me calling you and your Dr. lecturer dumb is a statement of fact. This is because his actions were dumb and I can say that because I have been an academic in federal government higher institution.

Hmmm. You obviously know nothing about programming for you to say a programmer cannot make mistakes. I have been a programmer for over 20 years

This attitude of that employer is crass and should be condemned as it is flimsy and mundane. I can only congratulate the lady for not working under a silly employer who thinks he is a demigod. God will bless the lady with a better job offer. There are people earning money several times more than that and their BP has not risen
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by themanderon: 7:42pm On Oct 22, 2021
Rubbish. You should have asked that boss of yours if he has never made a mistake before. Everyone has turned into some sort of pharaoh all because of unemployment. Your boss is simply a cruel person. Hitler has nothing on him. First out of 400 and she gets dropped over nothing? May all those that put this nation in this unfortunate situation where hardworking graduates are turned down over immaterialities never end well.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by RedEnergy: 8:50pm On Oct 22, 2021
adubam:
[s]I just want to share this painful and bitter scenario to job seekers out there.

So we posted a job advert and over four hundred applied. Three were selected for interview and only one appeared.

So this applicant came and did well in both oral and written interview but she was not given the job because of this:

She was given a paper to apply for the job. Excellent write up though but she messed up the whole paper with cancellation and instead of asking for a fresh paper to start over again; she even went ahead and handed over it like that to my boss.

And that was all.

[/s]
Your loss! She will get a better job with better pay at a better company. But your boss might end up hiring a lower quality employee that will mess things up for your company instead of messing up paper. Many Nigerian employers lack sense, they claim to be intelligent but are experts at making stupid decisions like this one. That's why many Nigerian companies collapse after a few years.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by BigDawsNet: 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2021
numericalguy:
wink

Me calling you and your Dr. lecturer dumb is a statement of fact. This is because his actions were dumb and I can say that because I have been an academic in federal government higher institution.

Hmmm. You obviously know nothing about programming for you to say a programmer cannot make mistakes. I have been a programmer for over 20 years

This attitude of that employer is crass and should be condemned as it is flimsy and mundane. I can only congratulate the lady for not working under a silly employer who thinks he is a demigod. God will bless the lady with a better job offer. There are people earning money several times more than that and their BP has not risen

I will advice you to always read very well before you make a comment

For the second time, I never said " Programmer cannot make a mistake" ....my words are " in programming error is normal "

Well you have the right to call people dump... That's your own opinion...

You have been in programming for decades
You should know every tutor have his or her own tactics of teaching newbie students...
My lecturer prefer to mark you zero when he sees a rough biro painted on your worksheet ... This is a personal logic, and I dint say it mandatory for all or should be in Nigeria Educational constitution....

Obviously the attitude of the boss is bad and I'm never in support of it... I'm just trying to tell you every human has is policy...either it's silly or not...

We have some boss that will conduct a wonderful hospitality interview with candidates and when thye finally resume office...few weeks latter...these new employee will regret signing the appointment letter...

Finally I'm not in support and I wish the lady get better offer some other place...
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by MCKAY82(m): 9:15pm On Oct 22, 2021
adubam:

And that was all.

this is purely nonsense. The lady was trying to maximize the resources given to her which shows if peradventure she was employed she will/might be in that best position to utility the company's resources with the present situation of this economy but ur boss is not looking @it from that Angle.. He messed up
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by pizapato(m): 10:12pm On Oct 22, 2021
adubam:

And that was all.

If she's really good as you claimed, it is a loss to your company. A bigger coy would definitely pick her up.

1 Like

Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Troubleminer: 10:41pm On Oct 22, 2021
BiggyB242:

She might have been an asset to the company and that you wouldn't know anymore. Sometimes you guys should stop looking at it from the angle that you are doing job seekers a favour. She might be the missing piece to target the said company to the next level.

Job seekers know your worth, don't let employers push you around.
Na so my former boss said I'm worth 25k salary. I lockup resign 5 months later I pick $3000 from upwork. No let your fellow man mock your ability.

1 Like

Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by mediclife1987(m): 10:58pm On Oct 22, 2021
Gudbadguy:
The company is not serious they would have given her more than one paper! Being the best out of 400 pipul is not an easy feat

Na why I dey avoid all these private establishment be that.

Na only the owner fit please hinsef. Most of them should rather employ their children into their services instead of looking for slaves to drive on their way to the top...

Useless fellows.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by JudeAfoo(m): 11:03pm On Oct 22, 2021
Werey company full naija
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by iLegendd(m): 11:07pm On Oct 22, 2021
Gudbadguy:

The company is the most serious, if you ask me. Giving more than one paper is a good idea. The lesson there is: people should learn to speak up.

You can't keep quiet and Nigeria will become great overnight.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by chaloskyx: 1:21am On Oct 23, 2021
I50K IS A BULLSHIT SALARY AM SURE SHE WOULD GET SOMETHING BETTER IF SHE IS AS BRIGHT AS YOU CLAIM
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Estellie: 2:47am On Oct 23, 2021
Because of 150k?
Mtewwwwww!
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 23, 2021
Troubleminer:

Na so my former boss said I'm worth 25k salary. I lockup resign 5 months later I pick $3000 from upwork. No let your fellow man mock your ability.

I'm telling you bro.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 23, 2021
Some students are brilliant but not organised. I have two friends, we use to call one "baby" because of his behaviour but baba sharp die. He is a medical doctor now.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by agborodun: 9:33am On Oct 23, 2021
The smart lady probably did what she did when she realized how dumb the interviewers were in order to avoid working with your company. She will surely get another job with a well organized firm.
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by elgaboskii(m): 9:35am On Oct 23, 2021
Unready folks, go employ unintelligent people then
Re: How A Highly Intelligent Lady Lost A Job Opportunity. by chiboycue: 11:42am On Oct 23, 2021
adubam:

And that was all.

Justice should be tempered with mercy. Your
boss should have pardoned her shortcomings and employed her since she did well in both oral and wriiten interview. I pray the lady gets another job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Submit Your CV Online For Current Access Bank Job / Nampak Cartons Nigeria Ltd Management Trainee Recruitment, September 10th 2014 / REVEALED: 10 CV Mistakes That Could Cost You Your Dream Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.