Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,024 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love (21239 Views)

I Cheated-my Marriage Is Falling Apart / POF: My Marriage Is About To Be Ruined Becaus Of A Secret I Kept From My Husband / My Marriage Is At The Brink Of Collapse Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by obowunmi(m): 4:39pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:
Do you agree?

I am watching a series and in one of the episodes a couple goes to see a marriage counselor. She tells them that marriage is not about unconditional love but an agreement to show up the best we can. It is meant to challenge each spouse to bring out the best in them.

How useful is this kind of advice?

Marriage is a business transaction. The more you understand that, the better.

That’s why people leave when they feel they have found something better.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by RightToReject(m): 4:40pm On Oct 25, 2021
Nothing else can best exemplify hypocritical disingenuousness than the act of anyone giving out vibe of being a proponent and practitioner of unconditional love - or selflessness or altruism - but believes and practices classism or hypergamy; that thread where the SSCE holder guy said that a family prevented him from marrying its graduate daughter because he doesn't have a degree certificate is still there for one to see the position of most different individuals in this thread and their classism positions.

No proponent of classism or hypergamy has love - only self-absorption glossed as love/fake love - to give their spouses, neighbors, etc., since altruism is the soul of love, and using altruism in the same sentence with classism or hypergamy is not only considered an oxymoron but also an abomination.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Holumhidey(m): 4:47pm On Oct 25, 2021
Magnoliaa:
Is showing up the best we can and bringing out the best in our partners not a part of unconditional love? smiley I believe it is a part of it, and one does not necessarily preclude the other.

Love is important. Yes, the feelings, tingly kind I believe. One that makes your heart race and feel good just thinking about them, I believe. No, that is not all there is to it.
Dont worry I'll shower you with love when we get married

But unconditional love has imbued in it the works, the efforts, the commitment and the blindness as well.

To the usefulness of such advice, I feel it paints a dreary picture of marriage that I don't want to look forward to. Sounds drudgery. Like I must do things for my partner, just because. Not cheerily. Are there likely going to be times I feel that way? Possibly. But haba, for the most of the time and my marriage life?

I don't want that kind of organic, fulfilling-a-duty or filling-in-a-space love, tenkio.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by CACL: 4:50pm On Oct 25, 2021
If there's any sort of abuse or violence in the relationship, that's when unconditional love can cease to be a good thing.
“Love of self is as important as love of your neighbor,” Post continues. “Unconditional love can be healthy, but this does not imply tolerating hurtful behaviors.
No one should ever be a doormat because it teaches others treating people that way is okay when it’s not.

The trouble with this argument, however, is that marriage is not unconditional. When you married your spouse, you promised to love each other in the face of circumstances beyond your control. The expectation is that the two of you will do everything in your control to make your marriage work.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 25, 2021
Upon all the day-to-day quotes, many homes aren't helped still.

Make God just help us ni o.

And, singles should open eyes & brain wella.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by bezimo(m): 4:52pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:
Do you agree?

I am watching a series and in one of the episodes a couple goes to see a marriage counselor. She tells them that marriage is not about unconditional love but an agreement to show up the best we can. It is meant to challenge each spouse to bring out the best in them.

The word of God is the standard not some nonsense series or episode ..husband love your wife as Christ love the church.
Which is an unconditional and sacrificial love
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by VULCAN(m): 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2021
Sometimes this pocohantas spits pure wisdom and it sounds like something that came from the Oracle at Delphi.

But then there are other times.....

I don't know whether she is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide

pocohantas:

Some people believe they should just be loved the way they are. With their good and bad. Even when they can make conscious efforts to change, they refuse to. They call it self-love. Some compromises are healthy. He is not asking you to go from dark skin to fair skin, he is only asking you reduce the salt you put in food. You na say the man that loves you would enjoy your food like that. You want to damage his liver?

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ushman333: 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2021
It is indeed an agreement.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by ableguy(m): 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2021
pocohantas:

Some people believe they should just be loved the way they are. With their good and bad. Even when they can make conscious efforts to change, they refuse to. They call it self-love. Some compromises are healthy. He is not asking you to go from dark skin to fair skin, he is only asking you reduce the salt you put in food. You na say the man that loves you would enjoy your food like that. You want to damage his liver?
Exactly what we see around and that's why marriages don't last, sorry to say ladies are mostly guilty of this.
Awon love me for who I am
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by 69Ansour69: 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2021
Iyaebe, how you dey now? e be like sey you just hear the word hypnotized
You don use am like 3 times today grin
Iyaebe:
Best advice ever,it's best to study the flaws of a partner and see if you can cope with him/her than concentrating only on the good side.In marriage love should be secondary, marry who have sense and compatibility should be your top priority. Love will fade if you marry a stupid person and you'll begin to ask yourself if you were hypnotized.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Antoeni(m): 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2021
Fact

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by emmnprince(m): 5:04pm On Oct 25, 2021
Iyaebe:
Best advice ever,it's best to study the flaws of a partner and see if you can cope with him/her than concentrating only on the good side.In marriage love should be secondary, marry who have sense and compatibility should be your top priority. Love will fade if you marry a stupid person and you'll begin to ask yourself if you were hypnotized.

You're not far from hitting the nail at the right spot
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Misterone: 5:09pm On Oct 25, 2021
Magnoliaa:
Is showing up the best we can and bringing out the best in our partners not a part of unconditional love? smiley I believe it is a part of it, and one does not necessarily preclude the other.

Love is important. Yes, the feelings, tingly kind I believe. One that makes your heart race and feel good just thinking about them, I believe. No, that is not all there is to it.

But unconditional love has imbued in it the works, the efforts, the commitment and the blindness as well.

To the usefulness of such advice, I feel it paints a dreary picture of marriage that I don't want to look forward to. Sounds drudgery. Like I must do things for my partner, just because. Not cheerily. Are there likely going to be times I feel that way? Possibly. But haba, for the most of the time and my marriage life?

I don't want that kind of organic, fulfilling-a-duty or filling-in-a-space love, tenkio.
love is not important in marriage, stop being blind. marry who you and am go fit stay house, who respect you, is humble and gives you what you need to be happy and excel in life.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 25, 2021
I just want a marriage that everyday is a fresh start and even though bitches are feinting you respect me and my family and likewise

I only started practicing unconditional love 10 years ago. In the past once I see something that is just undesirable I cut and you will literally think I travelled but I’m still in the city.

The worst is the ungrateful lover until you literally lose it all keeping them you won’t realize that your friends come to you. You family gives you the blueprint your husband builds the home. Don’t allow any husband mistress to bring shame to you Or a boss Shut the network down

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:12pm On Oct 25, 2021
Lemme me repeat myself incase u did not get what I was saying initially

For the umpteenth time there is nothing like unconditional love

Only God can give u, then the next closest are our mothers

What most people display is attraction/infatuation love (some other people call it Eros love). Even in movies u can't see it there talk more of real life.

Be guided.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by linearity: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2021
Magnoliaa:

If marriage is about unconditional love, why are the daughters of the rich and mighty not falling in love unconditionally with the poor truck pushers on the street and marrying them?

Humans are incapable of loving unconditionally, we are by nature selfish beings, that is how God created us and that is why we are still alive today. Our very instinct to survive and procreate our kind that have kept the world going till now is because of that subconscious love for self that God implemented in us….only that, some are more selfish than others.

Only God is capable of loving unconditionally. If a guy say, he love a lady, if you check very well…there are some qualities and features he likes in that ladies, remove those qualities & features from that lady, the guy will fall out of love instantly….the same is applicable to ladies.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2021
bezimo:

The word of God is the standard not some nonsense series or episode ..husband love your wife as Christ love the church.
Which is an unconditional and sacrificial love
Those are Paul's words, not God's. God's Word is Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ's instructions to all His followers is that regardless of marital status, they each love each one another just as He, Jesus Christ, loved them. undecided

That instruction was not meant for only husbands towards their wives. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by phr33man(m): 5:20pm On Oct 25, 2021
Longsleeve:

Unconditional love will cover everything if it's genuine..

If you love a stupid person unconditionally.. you won't see any stupidity again in him/her

Yea, you will always rationalize everything on their behalf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 5:24pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Those are Paul's words, not God's. God's Word is Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ's instructions to all His followers is that regardless of marital status, they each love each one another just as He, Jesus Christ, loved them. undecided

Kobojunkie, you should realize that God's word commanded that; 'Go ye and make disciples of all nations. Teaching them...'

Paul's word are not mere words, they're words from Christ.

undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by SweetVibe: 5:26pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Yet, over and over we are told to make our dreams come true.... I don't understand the point you are attempting to make of reality. undecided
YOU TALK TOO MUCH, its time you ask yourself why many people dislike you in this forum. You have this irritating attitude of being opinionated and feel you know it all, you may think you are sounding intelligent BUT the reality is that you irritate people.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by reddingtonblack: 5:28pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:

I'm not sure unconditional love exists and if it it's rare. I think most people love conditionally and it's a good thing because you should have standards and set boundaries. If our spouse decides to behave like a jerk, it will have an impact on the feelings we have for them. It's only human, isn't it?

I have heard of people who have never remarried even though they lost their spouses very young because they loved them so much that they would not even let death stop them from honoring their bond or people who have been taking care of their spo years and decided to remain single too but these examples are rare. It's also rare for a spouse to remain loyal and loving when the other one can't give them children.

It's good to have a sense of duty and profound love when our spouse needs us most but apart from this we should expect our spouse to give their best and do the same.

If you don't believe unconditional love exist then you might as well believe every partner in marriage are perfect, FIY imperfection begat unconditional love.
even tho the rate of divorce is rising like dollar, those still in marriage are definitely tolerating one another, that is an exhibition of unconditional.
you marry a naija slim gurl after two years in marriage she turns to baby whale, blame childbirth n most men just tolerate it that is unconditional.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by jaxxy(m): 5:31pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:
Do you agree?

Only God and maybe family Bt if u see ur husband as ur family because he has worked to deserve it and not just because he married u then he cud have same unconditional love.

Marriage is conditional bt a good marriage is about how well the conditional love progresses to unconditional love.

If it is stagnant or regressing there is fire on the mountain.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:
Paul's word are not mere words, they're words from Christ. undecided
Obviously not, since what Paul said even here is not exactly what Jesus Christ Himself said - John 15 vs 11-12 undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Oct 25, 2021
SweetVibe:

YOU TALK TOO MUCH, its time you ask yourself why many people dislike you in this forum. You have this irritating attitude of being opinionated and feel you know it all, you may think you are sounding intelligent BUT the reality is that you irritate people.
Again...Yet, over and over we are told to make our dreams come true.... I don't understand the point you are attempting to make of reality. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by bezimo(m): 5:33pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:

So the Bible is selected God's word.Lmao
The bible view on Marriage is clear in Ephesians Husband love your wife,wife submit to your husband in all things.

No confuse anybody by saying nonsense Abeg.. it's Paul's word..its not God's word..what of David's word..Moses word..Elijah word..Peter word. Abeg go and get transformed instead of talking error here.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 5:36pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:
Do you agree?

The best marriage is a marriage deeply rooted in Christ.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by TemmyT002(m): 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2021
Magnoliaa:

You read too much romance novels or watch too much movies.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2021
bezimo:

So the Bible is selected God's word.Lmso
The bible view on Marriage is clear in Ephesians Husband love your wife,wife submit to your husband in all things.

No confuse anybody by saying nonsense Abeg.. it's Paul's word..its not God's word..what of David's word..Moses word..Elijah word..Peter word. Abeg go and get transformed instead of talking error here.
The Bible(the book) never told you it is God's Word. The only one who laid claim to that title is Jesus Christ referring to Himself as the very Word out of God's own mouth. undecided

The view expressed in Ephesians is clearly indicated as that of Paul, not God or Jesus Christ. And submission as written of in Ephesians is actually from a curse God placed on man in Genesis 3 vs 16 - 22, the same curse Jesus Christ came to redeem those who will believe in Him from. undecided

Paul's view is not God's Word, instead you are meant to validate his claims against the Word of God, Jesus Christ - validate all opinions and views against the Truth of God Himself - the Word out of God's own mouth. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
The best marriage is a marriage deeply rooted in Christ.
Yet the same Jesus Christ said your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 undecided
Stop trying to use Jesus Christ as cover for what you pretend is of Him. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Divorce Should Be Celebrated, Its Rise Is A Good Thing" - Nkechi Bianze / Impending Child Custody Battle: Baby Mama Preventing Access To My Daughter / What Do Men Want?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.