Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,560 members, 7,861,652 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:16 PM

Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? (3904 Views)

Ooni of ife, Oba of Benin and Oba of Lagos greeting people [PICS] / Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by macof(m): 6:28am On Oct 29, 2021
UGBE634:
whatever your argument is I feel using the word mixed would always pass off your intention wrongly, or maybe you intend to pass it off wrongly maybe it was mixed more with Igbo, then yoruba, Urhobo, Esan and others the rest. my Bini nor mix. if you feel there is a different group large enough called Bini that was/is different from what is called Edo, then he wouldn't be king today(of which there is none as you are trying erroneously to pass)as his title is Omo'N'oba 'Edo. there is no hate anywhere, stop brandishing one to pass off your ugly intentions and to feel good .my children will laugh at you macof for this non-existent classification, heck I can't believe I am the one explaning this. If the Binis don't feel somehow about the Obaseki's who his patriarch migrated just three hundred years ago, is it an Oba According to the Ogieamien that has been with us for eight hundred years. What I am trying to tell you is that there is no group that is repulsive of the Oba of Benin, like you are trying to make us believe now from Ogbomosho whichever the story pans out is a win win for the Edos, either as a migrant even before the 14th hundred, he was already Edo enough, (as he is older than 80 percent of migrant families in Edo) as an indigene, it is also a win win as an indigene. What I am trying to let you know that we are all Edos whether by assimilation or indigene and we don't rate ourselves over another like you are trying to prove. And like I said before you have no proof that those who said or are saying those stuff are not Binis(those with Yoruba link like you are trying to make us believe) since there is no difference between us

And also sincerely I know nothing,I only respond to fact, Ubini will always be better than Ibinu which seem not to be in tandem with the Word Bini, Benin. Like I have said before that it was founded by Edo and Yoruba is not even certain
lmao grin
All this to deny the facts

As i said before
“And you know very well these facts you only choose to reject them for whatever reason unfortunately your sentiments have no bearing”

I cant be arguing what I know you knowgrin
Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by samuk: 8:29am On Oct 29, 2021
UGBE634:
What they don't understand is that the Igbos have more claim to this stool than even the Yorubas, that is what I have told them that the changes is holistic and it is because of her neighbours not because of one nigga coming from Ife, there is Igbo sounding names in far away Orhiowmon, there is Igbo sounding quarters in Benin city, and there is also Igbo sounding word even in the Oba of Benin's title. Even my Enogie' Ugo that is 82 kilometres away from Benin city feature the same traditional title as the Obi of Onitsha traditional title

I completely understand the political angle of why the oba of Benin subscribed to the Benin/Ife story, it makes the oba of Benin the only direct heir to Oduduwa.

All other yoruba thrones can't make the same claim because yoruba traditions claimed that women served as Obas on these thrones at various times and most yoruba thrones are selected from ruling houses, they do not adhere to the strict requirement of father to first son as it is in Benin, so if Oduduwa existed, the Oba of Benin is the only direct heir.

Since millions of yoruba sees Oduduwa as their progenitor, the Oba of Benin with an unbroken line of successions since Oranmiyan is their most authentic representative of Oduduwa bloodline.

When you view Oduduwa story from this political angle, it's not so bad, but we must also know our history.

Benin/Ife connection is mostly political. If Igbo researchers and historians were to research Benin oral history, they will be shocked by their findings. This is why I don't doubt the claims of migrating from Benin by various communities in Igbo land.

The Igbo angle in Benin history is very suppressed in favour of the Benin/yoruba political relationship and yoruba academics were the first to start writing and appropriating Benin history to themselves.

Some people view history from a supremacy perspective rather than looking at the evidence. If there are historic evidence that linked Benin to Ife most of us wouldn't have any issues with it. Like you said, the Obaseki family is a well established Edo family despite their great grandfather coming from the Anioma part of Old Benin empire, there are other similar families in Benin. We don't have any problems with this, but what we will not take or tolerate is lack of evidence to support claims being made.

The old Benin empire was built by talents from all over the place, the Benin administrators were very smart people who always seek and invite talented people into the city to help with empire building. Nigeria controlled by the so call majority tribes is yet to archive what the old Benin empire archived.

Under the old Benin empire, they created a monument that was once adjudged the largest man made structure on earth by the Guinness book of world records, the empire artistic creation is still a marvel of the world and perhaps the largest collection of Africa artefacts in Western museums, only comparable to ancient Egypt.

Nigeria has not made similar impact in the world because tribalism rather than talent and excellence is more important to the major ethnic tribes.

6 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by gregyboy(m): 9:37am On Oct 29, 2021
macof:
lmao grin
All this to deny the facts

As i said before
“And you know very well these facts you only choose to reject them for whatever reason unfortunately your sentiments have no bearing”

I cant be arguing what I know you knowgrin

The more you keep forcing the false yoruba/benin relationship, the more the truth becomes more known , tao11 is going out to dig something you all can masturbate on, as always she will come back hopeless and become a mere troller when she runs out of lies, you can't shove lies into our throat and expect us to swallow it, of what benefit is it to we edos if yorubas are attaching their history to us, but it is of outmost benefit to the yorubas attaching their weak history to we benins to solidify theirs, they aren't even aiming like other tribe as a benin sons rather their claiming
Benin father, thieves..... With guns in a broad day light

If we benins attached our history to the Yorubas in early times it was because it was beneficial and mutual now the yoruba are becoming parasitic to our history and we are showing then the road home if they have forgotten...

Oba of benin a, yoruba son my foot, angry angry oba of benin have a greater chance of being igbo than Yoruba

Benin only came incontact with ife throughout history after 1920,anything beyond that are mere fairy-tales

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by macof(m): 12:14pm On Oct 29, 2021
gregyboy:

The more you keep forcing the false yoruba/benin relationship, the more the truth becomes more known , tao11 is going out to dig something you all can masturbate on, as always she will come back hopeless and become a mere troller when she runs out of lies, you can't shove lies into our throat and expect us to swallow it, of what benefit is it to we edos if yorubas are attaching their history to us, but it is of outmost benefit to the yorubas attaching their weak history to we benins to solidify theirs, they aren't even aiming like other tribe as a benin sons rather their claiming
Benin father, thieves..... With guns in a broad day light

If we benins attached our history to the Yorubas in early times it was because it was beneficial and mutual now the yoruba are becoming parasitic to our history and we are showing then the road home if they have forgotten...

Oba of benin a, yoruba son my foot, angry angry oba of benin have a greater chance of being igbo than Yoruba

Benin only came incontact with ife throughout history after 1920,anything beyond that are mere fairy-tales

Lmaogrin grin
Comedy central

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by macof(m): 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2021
samuk:

I completely understand the political angle of why the oba of Benin subscribed to the Benin/Ife story, it makes the oba of Benin the only direct heir to Oduduwa.

All other yoruba thrones can't make the same claim because yoruba traditions claimed that women served as Obas on these thrones at various times and most yoruba thrones are selected from ruling houses, they do not adhere to the strict requirement of father to first son as it is in Benin, so if Oduduwa existed, the Oba of Benin is the only direct heir.

Since millions of yoruba sees Oduduwa as their progenitor, the Oba of Benin with an unbroken line of successions since Oranmiyan is their most authentic representative of Oduduwa bloodline.

When you view Oduduwa story from this political angle, it's not so bad, but we must also know our history.

Benin/Ife connection is mostly political. If Igbo researchers and historians were to research Benin oral history, they will be shocked by their findings. This is why I don't doubt the claims of migrating from Benin by various communities in Igbo land.

The Igbo angle in Benin history is very suppressed in favour of the Benin/yoruba political relationship and yoruba academics were the first to start writing and appropriating Benin history to themselves.

Some people view history from a supremacy perspective rather than looking at the evidence. If there are historic evidence that linked Benin to Ife most of us wouldn't have any issues with it. Like you said, the Obaseki family is a well established Edo family despite their great grandfather coming from the Anioma part of Old Benin empire, there are other similar families in Benin. We don't have any problems with this, but what we will not take or tolerate is lack of evidence to support claims being made.

The old Benin empire was built by talents from all over the place, the Benin administrators were very smart people who always seek and invite talented people into the city to help with empire building. Nigeria controlled by the so call majority tribes is yet to archive what the old Benin empire archived.

Under the old Benin empire, they created a monument that was once adjudged the largest man made structure on earth by the Guinness book of world records, the empire artistic creation is still a marvel of the world and perhaps the largest collection of Africa artefacts in Western museums, only comparable to ancient Egypt.

Nigeria has not made similar impact in the world because tribalism rather than talent and excellence is more important to the major ethnic tribes.

You guys making me laugh seriously

Same benin that up until Ohuan brothers succeeded each other until the youngest brother? And from Ohuan, who died without an heir other branches of the royal family (cousins, nephews etc) produced the king until Ewuakpe??
Is it this benin you are talking about? grin

Interesting how you didn’t need eye witness historical evidence for Obaseki having Anioma origingrin
Aint that double standard

The claim that the benin wall was “the world's largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era” is a popular one… but the fact that dismantles this claim is that the 1974 Guinness book of records, which is claimed to be the source of this information never had such a category
I have a digital copy of the 1974 book… neither “wall of benin” is mentioned nor any category like “largest earthworks”

And if any edition of the Guinness records ever had a legitimate entry, it wouldn’t be taken out even in subsequent future editions until the record gets broken

Bini miscreants will believe anything as long as it massages your fragile ethnic ego

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by niggadee(m): 2:45pm On Oct 30, 2021
hisexcellency34:
Don't mess with Oba of Benin. All those those abuse Sunday Igboho was abusing Ooni of Ife, if he try it with Oba of Benin, na die ooo
na lie murphy faze Igodomigodo dey abuse oba ewuare nothing happen

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by samuk: 11:14am On Oct 31, 2021
macof:

You guys making me laugh seriously

Same benin that up until Ohuan brothers succeeded each other until the youngest brother? And from Ohuan, who died without an heir other branches of the royal family (cousins, nephews etc) produced the king until Ewuakpe??
Is it this benin you are talking about? grin

Interesting how you didn’t need eye witness historical evidence for Obaseki having Anioma origingrin
Aint that double standard

The claim that the benin wall was “the world's largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era” is a popular one… but the fact that dismantles this claim is that the 1974 Guinness book of records, which is claimed to be the source of this information never had such a category
I have a digital copy of the 1974 book… neither “wall of benin” is mentioned nor any category like “largest earthworks”

And if any edition of the Guinness records ever had a legitimate entry, it wouldn’t be taken out even in subsequent future editions until the record gets broken

Bini miscreants will believe anything as long as it massages your fragile ethnic ego

No one can become an oba in Benin without being a Prince carrying the blood of an oba, women are not allowed. In yoruba land, women have been obas in the past with their children becoming contestants to the thrones.

If Oduduwa existed, the Oba of Benin remains the only authentic bloodline back to Oranmiyan.

The extent of the Benin wall or moat is world acknowledged. As for you having a copy of the 1974 Guinness book of world records, you all always claim to always have copies of various books but when challenged for evidence, you retort to insults. It's a well known tactics by you guys. Besides I never mentioned the edition of the Guinness book of records in my post you responded to.

After over 300 years of slavery when Europeans and Americans were made to believe that the black man was nothing more than an animal who lack creativity, the exhibition of the Benin Bronzes in London in 1897 was the first time for over 300 years of slavery that the white man knew that the blacks were more than commodities to be traded like goods and animals.

The Benin Bronzes showed to the world that the black man was capable of great creativity and greatness, is the current Nigeria being ruled by Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba showing the world that we are capable of greatness?

Where was Benin empire in the 16th,17th and 18th centuries compared to the most advanced societies of the world. Where is Nigeria today compared to most advanced societies of the world.

Europeans have been visiting Africa long before they arrived Benin in the 1400s, but Benin was only one of two or three places they could called a city in th whole of Africa and the only one in west Africa. Benin was already acclaimed a city 600 years ago.

Show me where Nigeria is in the world today.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by macof(m): 11:29am On Oct 31, 2021
samuk:

No one can become an oba in Benin without being a Prince carrying the blood of an oba, women are not allowed. In yoruba land, women have been obas in the past with their children becoming contestant to the thrones.

If Oduduwa existed, the Oba of Benin remains the only authentic bloodline back to Oranmiyan.

The extent of the Benin wall or moat is world acknowledged. As for you having a copy of the 1974 Guinness book of world records, you all always claim to always have copies of various books but when challenged for evidence, you retort to insults. It's a well known tactics by you guys. Besides I never mentioned the edition of the Guinness book of records in my post you responded to.

Lol. and what makes you think there are no ruling houses in Ife that are solely paternal? what makes you think the female alaafin ever had any of her descendants become alaafin after her?
there is no basis for this your conclusion

you did not mention the edition but the claim is a popular claim and the edition credited as the source of that claim is the 1974 Guinness book of records
which i have digital access to. Please do well to provide evidence of any edition of the guinness book of records stating the walls of benin are the "largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era"

here is just one article, there are numerous of such articles on the internet, i'm sure you have read some of them
https://thisisafrica.me/politics-and-society/african-marvels-the-walls-of-benin/

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by samuk: 11:59am On Oct 31, 2021
macof:

Lol. and what makes you think there are no ruling houses in Ife that are solely paternal? what makes you think the female alaafin ever had any of her descendants become alaafin after her?
there is no basis for this your conclusion

you did not mention the edition but the claim is a popular claim and the edition credited as the source of that claim is the 1974 Guinness book of records
which i have digital access to. Please do well to provide evidence of any edition of the guinness book of records stating the walls of benin are the "largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era"

here is just one article, there are numerous of such articles on the internet, i'm sure you have read some of them
https://thisisafrica.me/politics-and-society/african-marvels-the-walls-of-benin/

Whilst I am not in the mood to start debating the Oduduwa fairytale with you, but as the story goes, Oranmiyan was supposed to have come to Benin and gave birth to the oba of Benin and then moved to Oyo and gave birth to the Alaafin of Oyo, there is no record of him having more children in Ife, the Ooni was just the chief priest that took care of the gods and shrines in Ife. Even if Oranmiyan have had other children after he left Benin and Oyo, these children would have been juniors to both the Oba of Benin and Alaafin of Oyo.

The oyo throne have been occupied by women obas which makes the oba of Benin the authentic bloodline back to Oranmiyan.

Before you start to get excited, we all know that the Oduduwa story is a myth with no historical foundations.
Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by macof(m): 12:23pm On Oct 31, 2021
samuk:

Whilst I am not in the mood to start debating the Oduduwa fairytale with you, but as the story goes, Oranmiyan was supposed to have come to Benin and gave birth to the oba of Benin and then moved to Oyo and gave birth to the Alaafin of Oyo, there is no record of him having more children in Ife, the Ooni was just the chief priest that took care of the gods and shrines in Ife. Even if Oranmiyan have had other children after he left Benin and Oyo these children would have been juniors to but the Oba of Benin and Alaafin of Oyo.

The oyo throne have been occupied by women obas which makes the oba of Benin the authentic bloodline back to Oranmiyan.

Before you start to get excited, we all know that the Oduduwa story is a myth with no historical foundations.
how do you know there is no record of him having more children in Ife?
how much of Ife history have you studied? can you name some of your trusted sources and informants? you can say you are too ignorant to know any more of his children not that there are no records.

lol. how is the ooni junior to the oba of benin when the first oba of benin is a son of the 3rd Ooni of Ife and grandson of the 1st Ooni?
are you aware that Ginuwa - First Olu of warri was the first son of Oba Olua? So are you saying the Oba of benin after Olua are junior to the Olu of warri because the first son lineage of an early oba traces to the Olu of warri?

also please don't chnage the topic, provide evidence of the wall of benin being the largest earthworks according to the guiness book of records. I see you are trying to derail
Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by samuk: 12:39pm On Oct 31, 2021
macof:
how do you know there is no record of him having more children in Ife?
how much of Ife history have you studied? can you name some of your trusted sources and informants? you can say you are too ignorant to know any more of his children not that there are no records.

lol. how is the ooni junior to the oba of benin when the first oba of benin is a son of the 3rd Ooni of Ife and grandson of the 1st Ooni?
are you aware that Ginuwa - First Olu of warri was the first son of Oba Olua? So are you saying the Oba of benin after Olua are junior to the Olu of warri because the first son lineage of an early oba traces to the Olu of warri?

also please don't chnage the topic, provide evidence of the wall of benin being the largest earthworks according to the guiness book of records. I see you are trying to derail

You are asking me to provide the evidence which you agree is all over the internet which you even provided a snapshot.

Again, Benin have nothing to do with Ife, there are no historical records to back such relationship existed before 1897.

The Oba of Benin belongs to one of the numerous families that ruled the land from prehistoric times. The oba was just first amongst equal before power was concentrated in the hands of the Umogun Oza family which is the family of the oba of Benin, but not without a fight from other families of which the most notable is the ogiamien family. Nobody came from Ife.

Unless you want to tell us the meaning of the name of the oba family and other related titles in yoruba.

Please tell us the yoruba meanings of:

1. Umogun
2. Uku
3. Oza

Mind you, Oza nogogo speaks a variant of the Edo language similar to Ika language, you can see why the Oba of Benin have more chances of being Igbo than Yoruba.

Blame you sister TAO11 for damaging the Benin/Ife fairytale. I warned her with the way she was going about it, today, no one is convinced. Even you and her are completely deflated and now have your doubts grin grin.
Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by macof(m): 12:55pm On Oct 31, 2021
samuk:

You are asking me to provide the evidence which you agree is all over the internet which you even provided a snapshot.

samuk you are not bright
that screenshot was not evidence that any guinness book of records mentioned the wall of benin. I posted the screenshot to show you that it is a popular claim that the wall of benin is mentioned by the 1974 Guinness book of records as the largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era. but the claim is a lie, as i have the 1974 edition of the Guinness book of records and there is nothing about benin or any such category as "largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era"
i expect you to show me evidence that the guinness book of records mentioned the wall of benin but you cannot because there is no such guiness book of records. It is just another Bini lie

[s]
Again, Benin have nothing to do with Ife, there are no historical records to back such relationship existed before 1897.

The Oba of Benin belongs to one of the numerous families that ruled the land from prehistoric times. The oba was just first amongst equal before power was concentrated in the hands of the Umogun Oza family but not without a fight from other families of which the most notable is the ogiamien family. Nobody came from Ife.

Unless you want to tell us the meaning of the name of the oba family and other related titles in yoruba.

Please tell us the yoruba meanings of:

1. Umogun
2. Uku
3. Oza

Mind you, Oza nogogo speaks a variant of the Edo language similar to Ika language, you can see why the Oba of Benin have more chances of being Igbo than Yoruba.

Blame you sister for damaging the Benin/Ife fairytale. I warned her with the way she was going about it, today, no one is convinced. Even you and her are completely deflated and now have your doubts grin grin.[/s]
this has nothing to do with my conversation with you, stick to the claims you made here

samuk:

please show me the form of evidence presented for Obaseki being of Anioma origin that doesn't exist for Oba of benin being of Ife origin

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by samuk: 9:32am On Nov 01, 2021
macof:

samuk you are not bright
that screenshot was not evidence that any guinness book of records mentioned the wall of benin. I posted the screenshot to show you that it is a popular claim that the wall of benin is mentioned by the 1974 Guinness book of records as the largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era. but the claim is a lie, as i have the 1974 edition of the Guinness book of records and there is nothing about benin or any such category as "largest earthworks prior to the mechanical era"
i expect you to show me evidence that the guinness book of records mentioned the wall of benin but you cannot because there is no such guiness book of records. It is just another Bini lie

this has nothing to do with my conversation with you, stick to the claims you made here

please show me the form of evidence presented for Obaseki being of Anioma origin that doesn't exist for Oba of benin being of Ife origin

One of the uniqueness of Benin is that it's built around family structures.

The families makeup in the old Benin empire was very well structured. They all have their individual morning greetings. This morning greetings served as identification for each of the families, the names of the various families can be deduced from the greetings. These greetings also carries other vital information about the families such as the village/Town/area/quarters of Benin they came from or once controlled in the old Benin empire, the greetings also carries any significant historical achievements by the family, like those that were known for killing elephant, etc, this is why Benin family greetings usually take long between greetings and the responses because of the bit of history being told especially by elders that know Benin history, this is one of the ways various family history were preserved. So we are very clear were every family comes from.

The oba family morning greetings is Lamogun to which the response will be Umogun Oza, amongst others, signifying that the family was originally from Oza not Ife. The names of Benin crown princes are carefully chosen, the name of the current crown prince is Ezelekhae, does this sound yoruba to you?

The average Benin person doesn't care were the oba family came from originally, the problem is lack of evidence to support Ife. Most established families in Benin came from various places, there are well established families of yoruba origin, Igbo origin, Ijaw origin, Anioma Origin, Orhobo origin, etc. Tribalism is not an issue in Benin but the content of your character. If we don't have issues with Obaseki coming from Anioma what makes you think we will have issues with oba coming from Ife, but you have to prove it. The Benin empire was far more than present day Benin.

Agho Obaseki family history is relatively recent being that the man lived and served during the reign of oba Ovonramwen and he died about 122 years ago, their family history is not 800 years history shrouded in myths.

Those whose ancestors were dumped here by the British after the end of slave trade, will not understand or appreciate the nature of Benin family greetings as I have just explained.

The Benin are not the ones that made the claim that the Benin moat was the largest man made structure on earth before the mechanical era, they couldn't have made such calculations or know about other similar structures on earth. It was European experts who made the claim. This is a fact that even feature in European television quiz programmes as presented below.

As for the actual year it entered the Guinness book of records, you can send them a written request for clarification or confirmation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY_7TFiZ8Sk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin And Ooni Of Ife: Who Has More Political Influence? by NaijaphiliaBlog: 5:06pm On Nov 13, 2021
For a detailed history of the invasion of Benin Kingdom in 1897, see the link below:

https://naijaphilia.com/2021/11/13/naija-history-1897-invasion-of-benin-kingdom/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meaning Of Chimaobi / Yoruba Names Of Fruits / Heeellllp!!! I Need To Know How To Speak Idoma!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.