Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,390 members, 7,861,090 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:57 PM

"Thou Shalt Hold No Other Gods Before Me" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Thou Shalt Hold No Other Gods Before Me" (199 Views)

What If There Are Many Other Gods We Don't Yet Know Of ? / Jesus And Other Gods Born On December 25 / The Prison Of Yahweh And Other 'gods' Of Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"Thou Shalt Hold No Other Gods Before Me" by Bombblacks: 11:36am On Oct 31, 2021
Thou shalt hold no other gods before me" is kind of admitting that there's are other god's in a monotheistic religion isn't it?

Not only does it assume other gods, but it actually accepts that one can worship them. It’s “thou shalt hold no other gods before me” not “thou shalt hold no god but me
Re: "Thou Shalt Hold No Other Gods Before Me" by Godx: 11:39am On Oct 31, 2021
Indeed. The deity we call "God" also goes by the name El and Elyon, he is only one among dozens of other gods that are part of the ancient Canaanite pantheon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Canaanite_religion#Deities

What many people don't know is that God has a wife named Asherah and she was worshipped alongside him, but almost all mention of her was conveniently removed from the Bible when it was written, turning it into a strict monotheistic patriarchal religion. There's only one or two vague references to her in the Bible now. But the Abrahamic religion was originally gender balanced and both the male deity Yahweh and the female deity Asherah were worshipped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah

Not only that, but Eve wasn't Adam's first wife. His first wife was named Lilith and she fled from him when he tried to rape her. God then created Eve from one of Adam's ribs and is essentially his clone.

Which is kind of funny. Because that means as punishment for trying to rape Lilith, God created a female clone of Adam so he could literally go Bleep himself.

cheesy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Thou Shalt Hold No Other Gods Before Me" by LordReed(m): 1:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
Bombblacks:
Thou shalt hold no other gods before me" is kind of admitting that there's are other god's in a monotheistic religion isn't it?

Not only does it assume other gods, but it actually accepts that one can worship them. It’s “thou shalt hold no other gods before me” not “thou shalt hold no god but me

The Hebrews were not originally monotheistic, they only became so after they returned from the Babylonian exile. The remains of their cultural heritage is captured in the earlier books of the Bible, where it was clear they saw their god as a national god rather than the universal god they now believe him to be.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Fall Of Satan / Apostle Suleiman: Israel Balogun, A Youtuber, Has Filed A Lawsuit Against Apostl / Update On The Educational Scholarship For The Children Of A Widow, Mrs Afolayan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.